ADVERTISEMENT

ND 59-52 win over Lady Cats. Great game

UncleBill57

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Harry's Lady Cats played an awesome hard fought game against the #2 Irish last night before a great crowd where even the usual student section was almost filled. Those Irish players and coach Muffin McGraw had to leave with well earned respect for our Team. The officiating was often brutal with even Harry questioning some calls where calls that should have gone against the Irish were called against us. Emily Leer led our Cats in scoring.

Both our men's win over DePaul and our women's game against the Irish were being televised. Muffin mentioned at the UConn game that she hoped that UConn would continue to remain on the Irish's schedule. Gino said that their schedule for next year was already full. I wonder if the Irish will remain on our schedule in future years.

An unexpected treat was having Joe Eichorn announce our game last night with his storied inflection and enthusiasm.
This post was edited on 2/6 10:06 PM by UncleBill57

ESPN just announced ND will stay in the BE next year and then leave the following year. So wouldnt Uconn have to play ND as a conf opponent?

I actually found myself watching the womans game as opposed to the mens game. it was a good game and even though it was a little slow paced I love Harrys honesty when he was micked up. He basically said we cant win but we are gonna try to keep it close.

the program needs to keep ND on the schedule for some exposure.

McGraw basically said in her post-game interviiw that she was already commited to coming here to play Penn next year and was trying to schedule St. Joe's, but definately would not be scheduling Nova. Can't say that I blame her after giving her fits over the last 10+ years. Assuming that we are still in the Big East next year, the game out there will be the last time we will be playing ND, unless we would meet in the BE tournament next year.

Laura Kurz was at the game and I told her at half time to put a uniform on. I know she really enjoyed beating the Irish twice in her senior year, including the quarterfinals of the BE tournament - two classic games for the memory bank.

The truth be said, I don't think anyone relishes playing us. There is no way to prepare for us on short notice and it serves no purpose to spend a lot of time on us as they will never face another team like us in the same season. The only way we typically get a North Carolina, LSU, Baylor or other top team on our non-conference schedule is to face them in a tournament.

It will certainly be a different landscape in another year or so. The Big East will be a nothing basketball conference, and the "something other than Catholic Seven" league will sort its way out to a fine non-BCS basketball conference that should have Nova as one of the perennial top teams, mens or womens, with an honest shot at the conference NCAA bid each year. Different, yes. Better, probably not as we knew the competition in the B/E as it was, but certainly better than the option of staying with the remnants of the "See the USA" conference.

Kudos to the fine crowd at the Pavilion for ND. A lot of lime green, but a large contingent of Nova and neutral fans out to see an interesting contest.

That would be correct, and probably twice as they have in the past few years. Big East no fool when it comes to scheduling games that will be nationally televised. Not sure how many teams will be in the BE for basketball in 2013-14, but if it is an unbalanced schedule again, that would allow for the BE to schedule selctive teams to play each other twice. It also means that we will get to go to South Bend one last time before we get out of the B/E.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT