ADVERTISEMENT

No onside kick?

NovaUSMC01

Bleeds Villanova Blue
Aug 25, 2001
Jacksonville NC
Not sure I agree with that call. Andy Talley has forgotten more about football than I know but still, don't get the rationale for that one.

Not sure I agree with that call. Andy Talley has forgotten more about football than I know but still, don't get the rationale for that one.

Not sure you are right......coach made a few bad decisions....4th and 2 inches; just set up in T formation and power the ball in.....they tried to fool them lining up in the spread and jumping into the T....but, JR couldn't handle the snap. And, with only 2 TO's left the only chance was the on side kick.......Isn't Andy retiring soon.....?

Not sure you are right......coach made a few bad decisions....4th and 2 inches; just set up in T formation and power the ball in.....they tried to fool them lining up in the spread and jumping into the T....but, JR couldn't handle the snap. And, with only 2 TO's left the only chance was the on side kick.......Isn't Andy retiring soon.....?
So, wait, we agree? I am confused. I think we should have gone for the onside kick.

So, wait, we agree? I am confused. I think we should have gone for the onside kick.

haha.....yes we agree.....I was just saying that you may be wrong about Andy knowing more about football.....he had a few mental lapses. There is still times when T formation plays are the best choice...and the on side kick would have been the right choice with only two TO's left.

Major blunder on kicking the ball away. What was Talley thinking? The series before UConn was gashing holes in the run game. Maybe they hadn't practiced an onside kick yet? The outrage here is phenomenal...

I think he thought our defense is stout. Our best chance to win this year. 9 starters back. We will rely on them. So he thought if they are this good they need to get a stop. 3 downs and punt and now we get the ball at midfield possibly with JR to win it. Otherwise we start on our own 10 b/c we onside kicked. NOt saying it was the right call but that was probably his rationale

Bad call on that kickoff. Bad call lining up with JR,deep, the jumping behind center. Really bad call. Just get JR behind center and pick up the needed inches. Really bad call. Whose?Andy's? Or offensive play caller? Andy should, however, take the blame. Maybe, just maybe that play cost Cats the game.

The next time an onside kick changes the outcome of a VU game will be the first.

Long season and the most important part to come.....love to have beaten UConn, but the mission at hand has yet to be completed. Stay tuned.

Reactions: EdMcM
Bad call on that kickoff. Bad call lining up with JR,deep, the jumping behind center. Really bad call. Just get JR behind center and pick up the needed inches. Really bad call. Whose?Andy's? Or offensive play caller? Andy should, however, take the blame. Maybe, just maybe that play cost Cats the game.

FULLY AGREE!! Plus (imo) putting JR quickly moving to T-QB position right before ball is snapped a significant factor in fumble.

high risk UNWISE play when only 2" is needed. That play probably cost us the game.. The final nail in our coffin was the D giving up 8 yds on UConn's 1st play when they got the ball back to kill the clock.

BEAT FORDHAM!!

Btw, former Arch Wood star frosh Jarrett McClenton (5-7", 155# in program), showed promise.

. Did not work. They lost at home to Jacksonville 20-14

Surprise 2d half opening on side kick in 2010 title game against Montana led to solely needed points in 23-21 win. That said, on side kick is low % play especially in circumstances of UCONN game. Defense almost held but gave up to many yds on 1st down play. Probably not enough time to score it Cats got the ball with 1 1/2 minutes left considering the time it took to score on previous possession. Loss of Underwood the key after the way he was making plays in the 2d qt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT