ADVERTISEMENT

Nova 47-13 vs B5 Since 2000

UncleEd

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2003
Holy war? I don't think so. Cats vs sju 11-4 12 -4 after today.Penn 13-2 LaSalle 13-2 Tu 10-5
Fun day on campus today. If football Cats win (favored by 7) they play at home next weekend. Another hoops and football weekend. Temple visits on Sunday.
GO CATS

If Nova takes down Liberty, and Jacksonville State beats Sam Houston, the Cats will travel to Jax St. next week.

On the other hand if Cats and Sam Houston win today, then KC returns to Villanova Stadium next weekend.

The troubling aspect of today's Big 5 is that its only news if Villanova loses. Sort of a localized "anybody but Duke" syndrome. Like Duke, VU has a better rep in Jersey, NY, Connecticut, Boston & DC than it does in its home city of Philadelphia. I believe that's a direct result of disenfranchising day hops through exorbitant tuition increases. The cost of a Villanova education has risen 1500% since 1978 whereas the cost of living has only risen 500%. That's economically indefensible. I realize there is a seemingly inexhaustable supply of Muffys and Buffys (children of privilege) to populate Villanova, BC and Georgetown, but must we emulate what we think the Ivy's are like? In reality, the top tier Catholic schools are more exclusive and represent a far narrower slice of the general population that do today's Ivy's. If VU wants to be hated from Bensalem to Drexel Hill than congratulations- we've done it.

I've heard it wispered recently that Fr. Peter wants to deemphasize legacy admits in favor of the underserved populations. If so, that's a step in tune with our Catholicity (a new term we are hearing in the Archdioces of Washington), but what about admitting promising candidates culled from the ranks of the Middle Class? And what about restructuring tuition so that they can cobble together the financial resources necessary to attend Villanova without drowning in debt post-graduation? I'd like an answer to that question in particular.

This post was edited on 12/8 3:03 PM by DCFRANKLIN

Wow, DC, major topic switch! What schools haven't raised tuition at an algorithmic rate? As my decidedly middle class kid says, every other student he meets at Nova is the child of a millionaire (with a few billionaires as well). The greatest diversity, in his eyes, is among the football team. Maybe that's the best reason of all for the school to continue to support the program.

"I've heard it wispered recently that Fr. Peter wants to deemphasize legacy admits in favor of the underserved populations."

I fully support this initiative. Having too many legacy students ruins your gene pool.

buberalles my daughter, a Villanova senior, has said for years that Nova has too many rich kids. She is a very middle class kid. Also a child whose both parents are Nova grads. Both my wife and I are the first in our families to graduate college.
We have a large group of VU grads in our family who were all middle class back when they went to college.
Good point about the diversity on the football team. It is my understanding that Fr Peter is aware of this fact.

UE, The trick is to keep them middle-class grounded, hard work appreciative, and still have the ability and comfort to navigate within the "connected" class. What I'm thrilled about is the lack of pretense the monied kids and their parents have, at least the ones I've met. Team sports are a great equalizer.

As an "old time" Nova grad, I can appreciate what DCFRANKLIN says. When I attended VU, the school was much more local oriented. Now, the local students are probably a minority and the City resents it. And contrary to one post, I don't believe that there is ANY evidence that having too many legacies "ruins the gene pool", and to say so is simply ridiculous.
This post was edited on 12/9 5:09 PM by AvalonFal

Let's get something correct about local kids going to Villanova. They have to gain admission. If one comes out of the Philly school you will have a difficult time getting into Nova. sju lowered their admission standards because they were broke. LaSalle never was close ,nor was Temple , to VU's admissions standards. As someone who would love to see more Philly kids at my school, I truly don't know the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT