ADVERTISEMENT

Online Chess?

FreddyShoop

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
Anyone play? Learning how to play chess has always been a goal of mine. I'm rather embarrassed that I'm 40 and don't really know how.

What is the best online community for chess playing?

Chess.com

The monile app is gr8 too.

Timed games and turn based games. Timed games are when you olay live against someone and each player has like 5 or 10 minutes for their moves (10 min is the standard). Turn based is when you make a move and wait for the opponent to move. Games can take a couple days or a week or even more depending on the opponent and if you are in different time zone or whatever.

They pair you up with similar rated players. When you furst start you will have a 1200 rating, but you will be more like a 900-1000 caliber player, so you are going to lose badly at first until your rating adjusts after a few games. Chess is the type of game where the better player usually wins. If you are playing an opponent 150+ pts ahead of you them you would win one out of ten matches or so. Gdog would love to bet on chess, not a goofy sport at all.

It is great. Dont really need a pay subscription. I have done the paid subscription in the past and Enjoyed it, especially if you are looking for lessons, but not necessary to enjoy the site.

Other sites like yahoo chess i have found to be less reliable, more abandoned games, more connection problems. Chess.com doesnt have those issues. Chess with friends is okay too, but it doesnt keep your rating or pair you up with similarly rated olayers or anything.

When you get a user name post it and i will challenge you to a game.

Ok, thanks. But I really don't know any of the rules as of now.

Other than what D'Angelo taught me in the Wire.

Reactions: Chimpat
Youtube has intro videos.

Best way to learn is to first learn how the pieces move, then learn the basic strategy (develop minor pieces (knight, bishop), control center, king to safety), learn the basic strategy moves (fork, pin, skewer) and then just play games. Learn from your losses and the wins eventually will come.

back in the AOL days, i used to play a lot of checkers on pogo.com. i have no idea if that still exists

Ball.....I'm ranked at about 1200 currently on chess.com....post your screen name and I'll challenge you later this afternoon.

Do a request for turned based 3 days per move game (i move quicker than that).

Im in court all morning.

Do a request for turned based 3 days per move game (i move quicker than that).

Im in court all morning.
haven't done one of those before....I usually do 10 or 15 minutes blitzes.

Whenever I start playing 1300s I get knocked back down....

I'll try and prop you the turn based thing...if not we'll find a time to do a blitz.

Whenever I start playing 1300s I get knocked back down....

I'll try and prop you the turn based thing...if not we'll find a time to do a blitz.

People's blitz ratings tend to be about 200 pts lower than their turn based ratings. I float in the 1300-1350 range in turn based, but rarely crack 1100 in blitz. I have no idea why this happens, but it seems to be the case more often than not.

Ball took the 1st one. Got sloppy with my pawns about 1/2 way through and Ball capitalized. That kid is like a hawk.

Working our way through the 2nd game.

LizReed is adjusting to chess games taking several days. Not the longest attention span in the world.

I bought the Chess Pro App on my phone. It was 9.99, but it's pretty great -- besides from the horrible setback that you can't play other people on it unless you share the phone. I can usually beat the computer when it's at 1500 or lower. One time I beat it at 1900 and I was pretty fired up.

I don't like when players take too long, that's why I like playing the computer at different difficulties.

Signed up: NovaNation1188 -- Anyone who wants to play, feel free to invite. I'm a little confused by this site.

Last edited:
Ball--any way we can post screenshots?

Just pushed pawn to d4...time to start swapping pieces

Last edited:
Reactions: TooTchuisi
fischer10-spassky.jpg

I'm on chess.com but I'm 0-5. Each game lasts about 2-3 mins.

I have no idea how to play this game.

I keep thinking it's like checkers.
I think you probably need to spend at least a week sitting down and learning how the pieces move, as well as basic strategy, before you start playing people. Racing the Indy 500 isn't going to teach you how to drive if you don't even know where the brake is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT