ADVERTISEMENT

Phils

NickleDimer

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Feb 7, 2002
Brightsidersville, USA
www.philly.com
Queeny goes 7 scoreless, strikes out 12, no decision. No surprise with lineup that includes The withered husks of former competent major leaguers like: Francoeur, Utley, Howard, Brown, and Ruiz. There's no value to trotting Howard and Francoer out there anymore. Jesus. Just give some young guys the at bats.

Went to Reading on Sat. Nola pitched, gave up a first inning homer but was crafty otherwise. Guy reached out and pulled an outside hanging breaking ball.

I would rather see half their lineup in CBP than the current slop. Crawford looked good. Quinn did not play. Altherr played decent.

Hamels has got to be fed up with this crap. Then again I'm sure he feels better the next morning when he checks his bank account.

Nola up to AAA.

ND, Quinn pulled his quad the night before. On DL now.

They need to move Hamels, Papelbohn (just eat salary) and Harang. Complete the tear down and move on.

So be aggressive before the market gets set. Might be captain obvious but they have held these guys too long, brought in a bunch of old guys and appear devoid of any plan.

So be aggressive before the market gets set. Might be captain obvious but they have held these guys too long, brought in a bunch of old guys and appear devoid of any plan.

Maybe they are trying to be aggressive and teams are waiting to see where they stand in early July.

Besides all three of them are different situations. How you handle each is different.

Maybe they are trying to be aggressive and teams are waiting to see where they stand in early July.

Besides all three of them are different situations. How you handle each is different.
You're right, Ruben has it all under control.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
You're right, Ruben has it all under control.

Now, I wouldn't go that far. I'm just saying no one really knows what's going on behind the scenes. Just because there hasn't been a trade doesn't mean they aren't being aggressive.

They need to move Hamels, Papelbohn (just eat salary) and Harang. Complete the tear down and move on.
Haha who wants Harang? The Phillies should have moved him before he predictably came back down to earth. I am sure they can probably unload him for a fringe prospect, but at this point assuming Hamels is moved who else do they even have to fill out their pitching rotation?

Harang might be valuable to someone. He really has only had two bad starts. Actually threw well last night aside from a terrible 1-2 pitch to Weiters. With that said, I'm not holding my breath for anything significant in return.

Now, I wouldn't go that far. I'm just saying no one really knows what's going on behind the scenes. Just because there hasn't been a trade doesn't mean they aren't being aggressive.

It's been well documented that Ruben Amaro's trade requests are openly mocked by other GMs. He's a used car salesman that has a neon $1,000,000,000 sticker on the windshield of every jalopy on the lot.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
It's been well documented that Ruben Amaro's trade requests are openly mocked by other GMs. He's a used car salesman that has a neon $1,000,000,000 sticker on the windshield of every jalopy on the lot.
You're a moron if you believe everything you read. RAJ is by no means a good GM, but he get's shit on way too much in the media.

Harang might be valuable to someone. He really has only had two bad starts. Actually threw well last night aside from a terrible 1-2 pitch to Weiters. With that said, I'm not holding my breath for anything significant in return.
burrs - agreed. But Harang has a history of starting off well and then just completely shitting the bed. Look at last year with the Braves. He started off pretty much just like this season and then reverted back to normal. He is only on a 1 year $5 million deal so that could help, but I just don't see another team wanting him unless they are desperate.

Why don't the Phils just fire Sandberg? I feel for him - it's not his fault they are terrible but he doesn't help much. Is it time to turn off the oven on his managerial career? Will he really be able to get another job after being passed over by the Cubs and then his debacle with the Phillies? If he is fired now at least it gives time for the stink of the Phillies to wear off. Plus, I would love to see Larry Bowa named interim manager and just go nuts on this team.

You're a moron if you believe everything you read. RAJ is by no means a good GM, but he get's shit on way too much in the media.

How are you determining what is too much? He's gotten questionable return on several trades, failed to trade expiring talent, paid top dollar (or more) for what talent he has brought in, and his minor league system is barren. He deserves everything he gets. Sure, he's often handcuffed by ownership, but he's failed on many fronts.

How are you determining what is too much? He's gotten questionable return on several trades, failed to trade expiring talent, paid top dollar (or more) for what talent he has brought in, and his minor league system is barren. He deserves everything he gets. Sure, he's often handcuffed by ownership, but he's failed on many fronts.
The rumor for the Revere trade a couple weeks ago where it was reported that RAJ was asking for Taijuan Walker or James Paxon. Reporters make things up and attribute them to "sources" and everyone believes them.

The rumor for the Revere trade a couple weeks ago where it was reported that RAJ was asking for Taijuan Walker or James Paxon. Reporters make things up and attribute them to "sources" and everyone believes them.

I don't believe that rumor and I like the way that RAJ responded to it. But there have been countless stories that reference other GMs finding his trade demands to be unrealistic.

Does anyone believe that RAJ will get adequate value in return for trading Hamels? I know I don't.

Plus, I would love to see Larry Bowa named interim manager and just go nuts on this team.

Not quite sure how this would solve any problems for this team; its not an effort or attitude issue, its just a complete lack of talent. Yelling at grady sizemore wont make him 6 years younger.

Not quite sure how this would solve any problems for this team; its not an effort or attitude issue, its just a complete lack of talent. Yelling at grady sizemore wont make him 6 years younger.

Sizemore isn't on the team anymore. Otherwise, I agree.

May be on to something with Bowa idea. Young guys like J-Roll and Chazz Utley who came up under Bowa went on to lead the Phillies to one of the greatest eras in its history. As for the veterans he will embarass, who cares, nothing to lose right now. And the entertainment value would be great, though there's probably a decent chance Bowa's head just explodes dealing with this team. None of the teams he managed were this short on talent.

This made me laugh. Larry Bowa is an a-hole and players don't like him. The only thing worse than making him manage this team is making him the disciplinarian under a vegetable like Ryno.
Did you see the blowup with Giles last week? I have never seen Ryno show any emotion before that.

Not sure you want to turn a shit show into an utter shit show. Bowa losing his temper regularly just makes a bad situation worse and makes no one want to be in the same city. Makes the deals you can, start acquiring young talent that have a shot at being major leaguers, and hope 2 of them pan out.

I bet the reds were pumped to draft Ben Lively in the 4th round (350k bonus) and turn him around in a year for $4M and serviceable big league outfielder Marlon Byrd. And if Byrd signs elsewhere as an FA next offseason, they might even get another pick.

This. Widely known and ridiculed. Again, just eat some money and rebuild your franchise. They need to eat money on both Papelbohn and Hamels deal to fetch the return needed. This is not hard.

This. Widely known and ridiculed. Again, just eat some money and rebuild your franchise. They need to eat money on both Papelbohn and Hamels deal to fetch the return needed. This is not hard.

They have repeatedly said that they don't mind eating money if it increases what's coming back. I get the sense that teams want them to eat money and not give up fair value. They can't have it both ways.

Does anyone believe that RAJ will get adequate value in return for trading Hamels? I know I don't.
and herein lies the issue: Ruben is so openly bad at his job, other GM's cannot be the one to lose a deal where he's involved. On the flip side, he needs a clear win which hamstrings his ability to actually do his job and make the trade needed. So it might have been obvious for the past year; it hasn't happened. And I'm not convinced it will unless Hamels stages a mini-protest in his office.....which could be coming any day and further reducing Ruben's leverage. Holding onto him when everyone knew they would suck was a horrific move. However, I made this point many times prior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT