ADVERTISEMENT

Phils

ND, on second thought you're right. Hamels is untradeable.

In the end, the only thing I care about is that they don't give him away. If he's here then he's here. Again, out of my control.

All those things I listed need to line up and everyone knows it. Just because you've got Cole Hamels doesn't mean you're in the driver's seat in those trade talks.

All I'm saying is that you can't have another Schillling or Lee situation.
I don't regret a minute of Vicente Padilla and Omar Daal.

Why are you getting involved?

Mr. Double standard who ridicules people for addressing TJC. Yet, your not involved here, but feel the need to add your two cents.

You and I have had our moments. But I have never once jumped in something involving you and another poster. ie tax codes, political discussions, etc

I'll post when I feel like it. And are you now claiming you dont jump into threads? At this point I think you are doing a nice job of punking the board. Next tell us you dont defend Fran and Penn State.

All those things I listed need to line up and everyone knows it. Just because you've got Cole Hamels doesn't mean you're in the driver's seat in those trade talks.

I don't regret a minute of Vicente Padilla and Omar Daal.

Now, this was legitimately good humor. I liked this. Cap tip.

I'll post when I feel like it. And are you now claiming you dont jump into threads? At this point I think you are doing a nice job of punking the board. Next tell us you dont defend Fran and Penn State.

And I'll post when I feel like it. So, if I occasionally jump in on a stupid statement spewed by your boy TJC then you can stay out of it.

If you're having a heated discussion with someone else and the has been plenty of those overvthecyears, then no I don't jump in. Instead, I pop the popcorn. It's usually entertaining in a good way.

I absolutely do defend Fran, never denied that. I met the guy more than a few times and he's a great guy.

I don't care about PSU. I think Joe Pa dropped the ball. I have no problem with what he got. The only thing I ever said that was pro PSU is that I didn't want to see current players and coaches pay the bulk of the price. No more or less. Please, stay intellectually honest.

Anyway, let's just say this - you went form "it's only been a year of taking Rizzo shots" to you admitting what I said originally - that it has been going back to 2012.

But please, let's lay off Hinkie, Chip - it's only been three years. #CoLapologist

19-3.

Voila_Capture-2015-06-16_10-24-58_PM.png

Anyway, let's just say this - you went form "it's only been a year of taking Rizzo shots" to you admitting what I said originally - that it has been going back to 2012.

But please, let's lay off Hinkie, Chip - it's only been three years. #CoLapologist

No one said lay off anyone. Intellectual honesty, please get some.

If you want to criticize Chip for cutting Lesean McCoy then go right ahead. If you want to criticize Hinkie for trading MCW, then be my guess. Individual moves are always open to be critiqued. Just like Rizzo holding out his best pitcher in the playoffs. Why are you so dense?

The fact remains that the both of them have overseen two seasons. IMO, it's not enough time to properly evaluate them.

I turn on the game last night for sh-ts and giggles.

Score: BAL 15, PHI 3. Whoever just hit the home run is circling the bases. This is not good.

Next batter. The pitch from DeFratus: Chin music. Ump winds up and tosses him. He walks off the mound without a hint of protest. Sandberg comes out for a token appearance, barely raises his voice.

Click.

Final score: BAl 19, PHI 3. I heard that Francouer pitched two innings and the Phillies are on pace to lose 108 games.

"This was the bad time." -- Henry Hill, Goodfellas

Last edited:
For the stats guys:

Has there ever, in baseball history, been an occasion where a player was the best player on the winningest team in franchise history and also been the worst player on the losingest team in franchise history? Or does Chase Utley have a shot to be a trailblazer here?

1) They would have to go 30-66 the rest of the way to break the franchise record.
2) You would have to be operating under the assumption that peak Ryan Howard wasn't the Phillies best player.
3) You don't think Galvis/Ruiz/Buchannan/O'Sullivan/Williams/Asche will put up a fight?

1) They would have to go 30-66 the rest of the way to break the franchise record.
2) You would have to be operating under the assumption that peak Ryan Howard wasn't the Phillies best player.
3) You don't think Galvis/Ruiz/Buchannan/O'Sullivan/Williams/Asche will put up a fight?

That's true. Utley wasn't their best player in 2011. Forgot he was hurt alot of that year. You don't think 30-66 is very possible?

If you tune in every night there is a great chance of seeing something epic in the fail department.

That first inning last night was special. First, Williams gives up a HR on the 2nd pitch. Then, there is s bevy of hits and walks. But what happened next takes the cake. With runners on 1st/2nd he wild pitches them up a base. Next, he throws another wild pitch and not one, but two guys score. Williams rips his groin in the process. Initially, I thought the throw from Ruiz hit him in the nuts. The entire sequence was rather hysterical.

If you are a team over .500 and lose a game to the CoL, you should probably be in sell mode next month. They are that bad. Unbelievable turnaround here.

I know that it is. But the fan in the back of my head still expects everyone to magically stop sucking all of a sudden.
Child please.

Jamie Moyer isn't walking through that door.

Edit: Jamie Moyer reference included without seeing your last post. Goofy.

CoP brightsider thought of the day: Franco is still raking!!!!!!1
Serious question - who on the team can you say gives a damn right now?

Going through the active roster (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=phi)

Giles
Franco
Blanco - has done well off the bench as pinch hitter
Utley - always
Francoeur

That's about it. I won't add Hamels or Papelbon to the list even though they are playing well - but they just seem to be going through the motions and their superior talent is just taking over.

NOt sure how you many times you can watch Utley take that half assed chop swing and pop out and say he gives a damn. Peter Gamons was on radio here recently saying he does not think Utley is done, he just need to get out of Philly and on to a team that is not so bad.

NOt sure how you many times you can watch Utley take that half assed chop swing and pop out and say he gives a damn. Peter Gamons was on radio here recently saying he does not think Utley is done, he just need to get out of Philly and on to a team that is not so bad.
He has had the same swing his whole career. Short and compact, quick hands through the ball. He just doesn't have the same drive on his swing as he used to. He has gone through some terrible slumps this year, but for the most part he has been hitting the ball hard. Balls that used to carry either to the wall in the gaps or our for HR's just aren't anymore.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Obviously everyone knew this team was going to be bad and not compete for a payoff spot or anything like that, but why did Gillick and RAJ need to come out and proclaim that in the offseason and even go further and say they won't compete for another 2-3 years. That sense a terrible message down to your players and it's not surprising at all that it seems like most of these guys are just going through the motions. Just terrible all around.

Obviously everyone knew this team was going to be bad and not compete for a payoff spot or anything like that, but why did Gillick and RAJ need to come out and proclaim that in the offseason and even go further and say they won't compete for another 2-3 years. That sense a terrible message down to your players and it's not surprising at all that it seems like most of these guys are just going through the motions. Just terrible all around.

Certainly it doesn't warm the heart of established veterans. But I think it serves to light a fire under some of the more unproven players. We're gonna suck and you should have a chance to play your way into a big league role for a few years. It's the same reason that fringe NBA talent is thrilled to get a call from the Sixers. You will actually see the floor if you sneak onto their roster, unlike competitive franchises.

He has had the same swing his whole career. Short and compact, quick hands through the ball. He just doesn't have the same drive on his swing as he used to. He has gone through some terrible slumps this year, but for the most part he has been hitting the ball hard. Balls that used to carry either to the wall in the gaps or our for HR's just aren't anymore.

Then maybe he should get back on steroids.

When Peter Gammons is basically questioning your desire to play on your current team, I think it's obvious. BTW I like Utley and advocated for the Mets acquiring him earlier this year. Think they will go with Herrrera now but I'd take a flyer on him for a few buckets of balls still.

Fangraphs says utleys hard it ball rate is down, and is currently at a career low. 23%. Consider that it was 30% last year and about 38% in 2008-2009, its fairly obvious hes getting old.

Fangraphs says utleys hard it ball rate is down, and is currently at a career low. 23%. Consider that it was 30% last year and about 38% in 2008-2009, its fairly obvious hes getting old.

Earlier in the year he was hitting balls hard with not much luck. More recently that hasn't been the case. I think he's trying and not going thru the motions. That's never been his M.O. I just don't think he's good anymore.

Guilty as charged. But it makes some sense to keep a Hamels update in the existing thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT