ADVERTISEMENT

Ski Season

beginner-waterskier-short-tow-rope.jpg

Reactions: Greg Woodward
Because I am back in the Northeast visiting family for two weeks during kids holiday school break. So fitting in a trip with extended family to Stratton which is something we've done (with occasional a pivots to Lake Placid or Stowe) since I was a kid.

In hind sight would it have been great to plan out west during our short trip Stateside, yes, but logistically it would not have been able to be squeezed in for the proper time needed out there considering obligations of visiting friends family on and around holidays and some work obligations I have as well.

anyone head up to VT this past week? Heard Okemo and Bromley were pretty bad, but Jay Peak wasn't horrible

anyone head up to VT this past week? Heard Okemo and Bromley were pretty bad, but Jay Peak wasn't horrible
I headed up to Stowe. I imagine further south was in rough shape. Stowe got a bit of snow.. a solid 4-5 inches last tuesday, a few refreshes into the weekend and another 5-6 inches yesterday.. so about 20 over the past week. What they had open was fine... they started to expand terrain saturday and opened a a bunch more today. Crowd was pretty light overall so it wan't terrible.

Potential storm this weekend could help out VT a bunch if it materializes.

Heading up to Okemo on Sunday for a few days with the bois. Can't remember the last time my first time out for the season was in late January / early Feb. Goofy sport, bruh. Goofy sport.

Today 91 of 121 trails open.

By the way, for all you beer guys, I finally got my hands on some Heady Topper, which is nearly impossible to get anywhere outside of Burlington. Very, very good but I'm still a Long Trail guy.

By the way, for all you beer guys, I finally got my hands on some Heady Topper, which is nearly impossible to get anywhere outside of Burlington. Very, very good but I'm still a Long Trail guy.
By the way, for all you car guys, I finally got my hands on a Ferrari, which is nearly impossible to get anywhere outside of Italy. Very, very good but I'm still a Camry guy.

Good stuff on Heady Topper. Try Lawson's Sip of Sunshine next time in Northern Vermont, it is in the same elite class of IPA.

Much less active ski thread this season, sounds like a bust in the Northeast thus far with not much hope for a solid, sustainable improvement.

Skiing out west has been awesome. For the first time in a few years Tahoe has gotten some significant snow. Would highly recommend.

Good stuff on Heady Topper. Try Lawson's Sip of Sunshine next time in Northern Vermont, it is in the same elite class of IPA.

Much less active ski thread this season, sounds like a bust in the Northeast thus far with not much hope for a solid, sustainable improvement.
Also any of the Hill Farmstead brews.. though they don't can. Plenty of spots have them on draft in Waterbury and Stowe. Alchemist should be opening the new retail brewery in Stowe soon. When I went up around new years we happened to pull into Waterbury when they were making the Heady deliveries and it was nuts with people almost following the dude. Ended up with a few 4 packs. Focal Banger which is one of their other IPAs is also delicious and slightly less over the top vs Heady. I may like it better.

February should bring above average precip to the Northeast according to NOAA... but temps will be key. Finally locked in a trip to Jackson which has had a great start to the season, hope it doesn't dry up in February for them. Another insane amount of snow heading through the west this weekend.

Re: L.Tahoe - if you are going for more than 4 days and can get in enough time at the favorites (Squaw, Heavenly, Kirkwood), Sugar Bowl is rarely crowded and a great mountain.

Northstar - solid mountain but more of a groomers' paradise and family-oriented.

I'll buy the Heady Toppers.

Solid description of Tahoe. Northstar definitely my speed. It's the wine and cheese mountain of Tahoe.

Great Call on Hill Farmstead as well. I had a pint of Abner in NYC over the Holidays, it was fantastic.

Anyone been to Park City in March? Going this year. How are the conditions usually at this time?

Anyone been to Park City in March? Going this year. How are the conditions usually at this time?

It's usually quite good in March but every year is different. One of the better ski towns in the U.S.

Flying to tahoe tomorrow - unfortunately theyve had a heat wave the last couple weeks. Should be some okay spring conditions I guess.

Just finished day 5 this week at Okemo, shockingly skiable given the horrible weather (including torrential rain on Tuesday). Hope the rain holds off tomorrow.

That being said, can't see the season lasting much past mid March without some
natural snow

Was in Stowe last weekend... -20 at the base not to mention the wind up top. Was empty as expected so actually got in some fun turns early. Northeast has had some bad luck with not only no snow but blow torch Christmas, rain around mlk day, and then a freezing start to pres day. Hopefully they get something next week with that system up in ski country.

Landed in Jackson yesterday in time for 15 fresh up top today. Tram line this morning was crazy but the day was pretty sick.

Flying to tahoe tomorrow - unfortunately theyve had a heat wave the last couple weeks. Should be some okay spring conditions I guess.

Was way off - didn't go out last Wednesday because of rain. Temps dropped overnight got about 20" overnight and kept snowing throughout the day. I was at Northstar, which really can't handle that much snow - people getting stuck every where, but definitely had its moments. Alpine was closed all day, and Squaw only opened 4 lifts at around 1:30.

Was way off - didn't go out last Wednesday because of rain. Temps dropped overnight got about 20" overnight and kept snowing throughout the day. I was at Northstar, which really can't handle that much snow - people getting stuck every where, but definitely had its moments. Alpine was closed all day, and Squaw only opened 4 lifts at around 1:30.

So was it good? What do you mean Nstar can't handle that much snow?

20" in one night is a shit-ton; the resort has to have all essential common areas groomed/cleared or you are going to have a tough time getting around the mountain, or even getting down a trail. You also have to possess the right technique for skiing that much powder - not a lot of people have that.

So was it good? What do you mean Nstar can't handle that much snow?

I meant it more that the mountain just isnt steep enough to handle that much snow, from a not getting stuck perspective. Unfortunately, given the rain the day before, it was 20"+ on a layer of ice, so all the steep terrain was prime avalanche conditions. Lookout was the only worthwhile terrain in the morning as they didnt open up that back until the afternoon. It wasn't the lightest of powder, but not cement either. I was fine on a snowboard, but even powder skis where struggling all day.

20" in one night is a shit-ton; the resort has to have all essential common areas groomed/cleared or you are going to have a tough time getting around the mountain, or even getting down a trail. You also have to possess the right technique for skiing that much powder - not a lot of people have that.

Correct, they didnt have much groomed at all since I think they probably groomed around 1am and the storm dumped another 18" before openeing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT