ADVERTISEMENT

Ski Season

Originally posted by Greg Woodward:
Originally posted by TheDean:
Also MLK Weekend, who's got big plans?

I will probably just ski Hunt-ahh Monday.
Personally, I'd rather be a quadriplegic than to ski over MLK weekend. Why bother?
I never time trips for MLK or Pres weekend but I'll probably get out one day between Sat-Mon. A day on the snow is a better than one not on the snow for me and if you get there to be on first chair at any of these local bumps and you will have 2 hours that are sparsely crowded and sometimes another hour that is manageable (depending upon when the lift opens).

I love east coasters that only ski "out west" or only ski "pow"

Saturday-Sunday I would never go....Monday usually isn't as bad.

Looks like a high of just 24 on Monday though, probably not worth it.

FYI - ended up booking Okemo for February break week (just going during week - avoiding weekends). My wife likes a particular condo complex there and the kids know it.

Originally posted by TheDean:
Saturday-Sunday I would never go....Monday usually isn't as bad.

Looks like a high of just 24 on Monday though, probably not worth it.
MLK in particular because not everyone has off.

Two Decks - We go to Okemo every year on Super Bowl Weekend with about 4 families and love it. Good weekend to go. We usually go up Thursday night and ski Friday, Sunday and Monday. We skip Saturday. Sunday is not bad as we find it not as crowded as other Sundays (maybe because of the Super Bowl). It is good as we are done by 4:30 and have plenty of time to get ready to watch the game.

We have been staying at Jackson Gore, but this year we are just too big and rented a house about 3 miles away. Hate being off the mountain, but couldn't justify the cost to fit us all on the mountain.

Okemo is good for family skiing as the kids can go off and we feel they are not going to get lost. We just got back from Killington and found that to be too big for the kids. Too many base lodges that the kids can get lost at. The trails were good, but I found that I like Okemo better.

Next year we will travel further north to Stowe and see how that is.

You should look into Super Bowl Weekend.

Originally posted by TwoDecks:
FYI - ended up booking Okemo for February break week (just going during week - avoiding weekends). My wife likes a particular condo complex there and the kids know it.
a) Solitude?
b) Ledgewood?
c) Adams House / Bixby?

Ledgewood. We've stayed there and winterplace. I think we'd like solitude once our kids are a bit older as my little guy needs to be in ski school and getting from solitude to base lodge (or jackson gore) is tougher for someone like him.

We've not stayed at jackson gore - very nice over there from what I've heard, just think there is better value at the older spots
Posted from Rivals Mobile

On a different note, skied this afternoon at Nashoba Valley in the boston burbs. It's is hardly more than a hill, but better than being in the office. Conditions were very good, looks like they've been blowing snow for the past week

Headed to Sotho Lake Tahoe next weekend with the coworkers. Will be doing my kind of skiing and then creeping on the dancers at unbuckle après ski party

Anyone use the Leki Trigger S poles?

Instead of the traditional pole straps that loop over your gloves, their new poles have a "catch" that you connect with a special strap that fits over your gloves. Or, if you buy Leki gloves they have the connection built in and you don't even need the strap (it looks like a brace). I just bought new Leki gloves that have the trigger, so I'm looking into the poles.

I got out Monday morning for a few hours to the Pokes. They didn't get as much rain as points east and snow was in surprisingly decent shape given moderate temps, crowd was pretty light, got in 3 hours and got back home for a late lunch.

Was hoping we would get something with this weekend system but doesn't seem to be in the cards.. though the pattern looks much more promising from this point forward. May get up to Hunter Sunday. Working on plans for a Co or UT trip now and will be back up to Stowe mid Feb.

I would go Utah unless you are targeting Steamboat, Crested Butte, or Telluride.

Just got back from a three day quickie to Okemo. Conditions were pretty good despite some recent rain Had 120 out of 122 trails open. Not heading up again until Super Bowl Sunday (or Monday).

Was invited to Wyndham (sp?) in NY in a few weeks. Never been there.....any good?

Windham is okay. Much more family-oriented that nearby Hunter and not nearly as challenging.

Snow estimates for Tuesday:

Southern VT (Mount Snow, Stratton, Okemo, etc.): 12-18"
Central VT (Killington, Pico, Sugarbush, etc.): 6-12"
Northern VT (Jay, Stowe, Smuggs, Burke, etc.): 4-8"
Northern NY (Whiteface, Gore, etc.): 3-6"

Just returned from a big ski weekend / bad nova watching weekend. Flew out to CO on Wednesday (during Marquette game on a United flight with no WIFI nor no DirectTV). I hate United.

We skied Breckenridge on Thursday and Friday. While they haven't had a ton of snow, it was very good for an east coaster and the weather (high 30's - low 40's) was incredible. Lunch and happy hour were spent outside in the sun. Saturday, we rented a snow cat and skied Jones Pass. I've never done anything like that, and man was it incredible. I've never done any back-country skiing (and probably won't again), but a great bucket list item. Of course, given we were in the middle of no where, I had no idea what was going on with Nova-Gtown game (of course the skiing made me forget it was even on).

If anyone has an interest, highly recommend these guys - http://www.powderaddiction.com.

Off to Okemo next week

Nice!

Going to Utah tomorrow. Park City is in a record warm spell so after Snowbird and Alta I am unsure what to do. I need to get to a higher elevation as PCMR might be total slop. Might try Solitude.

Sounds like a fun trip TwoDecks despite having to miss the Cats game. Dean had a buddy out at the bird this weekend.. said it was fine. Spring like but not too soft and its still snowbird. Never been but Powder Mountain could be an option as well

Place to be right now is VT.... amazing cycle for our humble east coast mountains. Most mountains haven't been above freezing in nearly a month with many approaching 75 to 80+ inches of snow over the past two weeks. Another refresher Thursday and some more snow late in the holiday weekend... a brutal cold stretch coming up though. Im planning to hit Magic this weekend to avoid the crowds.

That's awesome, always wanted to try Magic - also Bolton. MRG also sitting pretty with that dump. Anyone been to Black Mountain in NH?

Re: Powder Mtn. ("Pow Mow") - there is major development going on there and I am waiting for that to complete for better lodging options and a community to expand. Nearby Snowbasin is an option too - you can stay cheap in Ogden. I had previously looked to ski there exclusively this week but was drawn to the cachet of Snowbird and Alta, plus the Park City culture. Fourth day I am looking at Deer Valley, possibly Canyons 3rd day because they're so close.

Deer valley is a great place if you like short groomed runs!
Yeah it has the groomer zoomer reputation but in terms of vertical 3K is still 3K.

I actually had a nice time at Deer Valley when I went last year, as I do like groomers more than anything else. Just enjoy that type of skiing. Plus my wife was with me and that is ALL she skis. Deer Valley was perfect for her. They're "double blues" are heaven for folks who like steep groomers.

My issue with Deer Valley is that it is a real pain in the ass to move from one peak to the next, relative to other places. Felt like every movement required traversing some slopes and taking a connecting lift. It had the result of feeling there not being a particularly lot of long runs and being on lifts longer than I would have liked. The top peak to the lowest base lodge might be 3K feet, but you can't ski from the top to the bottom. You have to ski from the top to the middle, then traverse over to another lift, back up to another top, back down, and then over again.

After just skiing Breckenridge, I felt it has much longer runs than DV and also getting from one peak to the next you actually could ski down, rather than traverse

My wife and her brother and sister inherited a couple of houses
and land near Bromley. I thought they sold cheap, but we did
get to the bar there with $$$$to spend. I needed one of you
guys to help with the negotiations. My brother-in law was chief
overseas counsel of Conoco. Maybe he didn't needed the money.

Snowbird is no joke, huge and steep. Skied with a local who showed me ridiculous terrain through the expert gates with extreme backcountry.

Just returned from four days at Okemo with the bois late last night. Snowed slow and steady for 48 straight hours (Sunday, Monday and into Tuesday am) and the end result was about 14" of light, fluffy powder. Tuesday was a complete blue bird day. Some of the best conditions I have ever skied in anywhere.

Anyone getting out there in the freezing East?

Park City was almost 60 degrees Fri-Sat. Pretty good coverage considering. Big, soft moguls and hot chicks skiing in in sports bras.

Got back to JFK at 6 AM and got hit with 0 degree windchill.

My new favorite is Alta. Simply the perfect skier's mountain. Park City doesn't have the best mountains but the town is as good as it gets.

Was at Magic today probably hitting Stratton or snow tomorrow. Magic was awesome. Terrain is the best I have ridden in southern vermont by far. They got about 4-6 overnight/today to make it close to 3 feet the past two weeks. With the cold there was no crowd and fresh snow to be found every run all day if you looked for it. Mostly ungroomed and a few trails with some real pitch. Cold as fcuk though for sure.

Oh and definitely no hot chicks in sports bras ... Maybe some crunchy chicks you could score raw unpasteurized milk from or perhaps some patchouli if that's their thing.

Heading up to Okemo tomorrow for 4 days, hope my kids don't freeze to death

TD, unfortunately it's gonna be brutal. Tomorrow (Wednesday) may be okay (low of 5 but high of 25) but then it gets really cold for the rest of the week. Maybe the forecast will change though it doesn't sound like it will. Plenty of other stuff to do though. Have fun.

Greg -

Wednesday was fantastic, sun, cold, but no wind. Today - I've never been colder in my life. The wind was brutal, snowed all day. Good news - mountain was kind of quiet. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder, we will see how windy it is - that's what killed is today

Greg -

Wednesday was fantastic, sun, cold, but no wind. Today - I've never been colder in my life. The wind was brutal, snowed all day. Good news - mountain was kind of quiet. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder, we will see how windy it is - that's what killed is today

Looks to be another cold, windy one today, TD. The Sunburst Six lift (the warm, enclosed lift) is on hold at the moment for wind. Good news is that you'll have the mountain to yourself. Recommendation: Once the Sunburst Six is spinning again, just ski Chief, World Cup, etc. over and over and you'll at least be a little warmer riding up the Sunburst. Can always hit the summit lodge for a quick warm-up too. Enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT