ADVERTISEMENT

Ski Season

GW - that's pretty much what my oldest son and I did yesterday. Unfortunately my two younger ones aren't upper chief (my favorite run at Omemo) ready. The wind today is horrible, but at least the sun is out. The wife just left with my two older guys, so she will report back soon.

Do you guys own up here or do you just come up a lot?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TwoDecks:
GW - that's pretty much what my oldest son and I did yesterday. Unfortunately my two younger ones aren't upper chief (my favorite run at Omemo) ready. The wind today is horrible, but at least the sun is out. The wife just left with my two older guys, so she will report back soon.

Do you guys own up here or do you just come up a lot?

Yeah, Chief is one of my favorites too, along with a few runs on the South Face. Gotta love Tuckered Out as well over at Jackson Gore.

We own a place at Bixby over at Jackson Gore. We love Okemo & Ludlow and it's so convenient to walk out your door and ski but the downside of owning it is that we rarely ever ski anywhere else.

Originally posted by TwoDecks:
Plus my wife was with me and that is ALL she skis. Deer Valley was perfect for her. They're "double blues" are heaven for folks who like steep groomers.
Grooming, huh?

TwoDecks, did you have an opportunity to break away and enjoy any adult beverages at The Loft (at the Okemo base)?

Originally posted by Greg Woodward:
TwoDecks, did you have an opportunity to break away and enjoy any adult beverages at The Loft (at the Okemo base)?
Nope - should I make sure I do it next time? (BTW, can you ping me off line, I have some Okemo questions that I don't need to bore the rest of the world with).

As mentioned, we had a great day on Wednesday, Cold but good snow on Thursday, but on Friday my kids refused to ski so I went home. WE actually tried to ski one of our local hills on Saturday (wachusetts) but they sold out. Never had that happen to me before

Probably good news for WaWa as I saw a story on a ski site about how they, along with many other eastern resorts are way down in lift ticket sales as a result of the weather.. as counter intuitive as it might sound. It makes sense considering how cold its been and the fact that a lot of the storms have been on weekends. Im sure that keeps away the moderate day tripper. Good for the die hards though.

TD, yeah you should absolutely hit the Loft when you are up again. Probably my favorite dive bar on the planet. Great food too.

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you have. I looked for a private message function but didn't see any. Am I overlooking it?

Haven't used the PM feature since Buckeye70 and I used to exchange pictures back in the day.

Little warmer this weekend and could be bluebird in many spots - thinking Mt. Snow Sunday

Ski'd Pico today. 20 & sunny. No new snow but some cordoroy & freshies off trail. $26 Tix Men's Friday. Nice Mountain, never been here before. No crowd @ all

Not too many days left in the East. CO and UT just got nice dumps - Solitude the winner with 10" and another 4", Big Sky, MT also got 10" last night.

Tomorrow is a very bad day for the East with temps. close to 50 and some rain, but that should turn to snow at night. Saturday will be cold again but Sunday warm and sunny.

Is this the last hurrah? I'll be at Sugarbush.

Sadly, looks like I am done for the season. That being said, I refuse to take the golf clubs out of the basement and replace my skis, just in case... Problem for me is kids spring sports season is starting

I still have two mini-trips planned for this ski season (family trip over Easter and one other trip with the bois). Okemo is still 97% open and slated for an April 26th closing day. I love Spring skiing.

TwoDecks - I did email you a while back....just want to make sure you got it.

Greg - I did and actually pinged you last night as I got buried at work and this post reminded me.

Bump for 2015-2016.

Great start for many resorts out West, New England not so much.

Xmas week I have booked Killington as they have a top-notch snowmaking operation and decent elevation. Killington can be annoying and it gets packed, but I am going for least risk here with temps. still not optimal for openings. Anyone lay down plans yet?

Last edited:
Last year at this point in time I had already hit Mt Snow and Stowe for their opening days the weekend before thanksgiving and Stowe had received 10 inches the day prior. Even the bumps in the Poconos were already open. Good start out west as you said. Tahoe reaping the El Nino rewards early.

I may try and get up to VT for a day or two before Christmas depending on work. I bought a Mt Collective pass with the addition of Stowe to the mix this year. With the amount I get up there it made sense and now looking at a few of the places on that pass for my westward trip(s). I will be at Stowe for new years and pretty close to locking in on Jackson Hole in late January. Then thinking either Squaw or Snowbird depending on the season in mid to late march.

Jackson is one of the best in NA, Snowbird is tops....Squaw - all great choices. As my skiing career reaches its zenith I am looking at new mountains - Crested Butte, Revelstoke and Lake Louise are front runners.

Remember the golden rule nardi. DLIDRI

and there is an 11 page thread on an 0-18 team that has been terrible for 3 seasons. I think we can spare the bandwidth on the newsgroup. Or maybe someone needs to start another post asking about something as mundane as brushes vs combs or ideal collar stay material?

Reactions: jvm3
Remember the golden rule nardi. DLIDRI

and there is an 11 page thread on an 0-18 team that has been terrible for 3 seasons. I think we can spare the bandwidth on the newsgroup. Or maybe someone needs to start another post asking about something as mundane as brushes vs combs or ideal collar stay material?
But CoP'ers don't know any better.

I hurt my back golfing and am still in recovery mode. We ended booked a place in Okemo for President's Day Weekend through Easter weekend. Will be our first go at a ton of skiing with the kids over the course of many weekends. Hope that 1) my back is better by then and 2) the snow will be sufficient.

In the meantime, no trips outwest for me this season. We were planning Deer Valley, but we decided to go somewhere warm instead

I hurt my back golfing and am still in recovery mode. We ended booked a place in Okemo for President's Day Weekend through Easter weekend. Will be our first go at a ton of skiing with the kids over the course of many weekends. Hope that 1) my back is better by then and 2) the snow will be sufficient.

In the meantime, no trips outwest for me this season. We were planning Deer Valley, but we decided to go somewhere warm instead
1) Feel better
2) Good move going to Florida.

1) feel better
2) Good move going to Wildwood

Absolutely disgusting weather in the East.

Snowbird and Alta just picked up 18" each. Left coast looking awesome this year.

TD, I'm probably going to list our place at Okemo for sale this winter. You want it? Its a 3BR condo on Jackson Gore (Bixby House)....ski in-ski out. Now that kids are older, it's just too hard to get to anymore.

Is anyone still trying to go to Vermont for Christmas break? Everything up there has to be a total mess. I see Sugarbush only has 2 lifts open. Killington, 5. Looks like you'll need a plane to ski in the next month or so.

I am still booked at Killington for a couple of days (Dec. 22-23). Temperatures might start to come down up there this week, but rain and higher temps. are in the forecast starting Monday. It really sucks. As of today on the mountain "the only continuous route with no walking required is Skyelark....Walking is required to get down from the Peak, North Ridge or Snowdon areas..."

TD, I'm probably going to list our place at Okemo for sale this winter. You want it? Its a 3BR condo on Jackson Gore (Bixby House)....ski in-ski out. Now that kids are older, it's just too hard to get to anymore.
Dogs allowed?

damon_mason_2007_12_06.jpg

Have Stratton booked while in States for holidays from 29 to 3rd before flying back across the pond . . . But now wondering if I should explore cancellation options. Sounds like it will be dreadful.

Snow here in Europe has been crappy too this far and many families at my kids schools are now sour on their Swiss and Dolomites ski plans for the holidays.

We have Salbach-Hintergland (Austria) booked for week of Feb 13, hopefully things improve before then.

Thinking a long weekend to Verbier or Chamomix in early March (or somewhere within 60-90 drive from Geneva airport).

Have Stratton booked while in States for holidays from 29 to 3rd before flying back across the pond . . . But now wondering if I should explore cancellation options. Sounds like it will be dreadful.
Should have a good window this weekend and again after Christmas to make snow and a shot at some real snow. It's the rain and warmth around Christmas that will hurt. I'm headed up to Stowe around the same time period and not to worried... Though I Had friends that wanted to do Tahoe for New Years and we declined which was a bad move in retrospect.

That rain and 60 degree highs mid week next week on mountain at Stratton may wipe out the lowly 9 open trails they have now

Going to cancel today

Probably can rebook if there is a major weather shift.

Snow here in Europe has been crappy too this far and many families at my kids schools are now sour on their Swiss and Dolomites ski plans for the holidays.

We have Salbach-Hintergland (Austria) booked for week of Feb 13, hopefully things improve before then.

Thinking a long weekend to Verbier or Chamomix in early March (or somewhere within 60-90 drive from Geneva airport).
If you have those options in Europe at your disposal, why on earth would you go to the east coast of America to ski?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT