ADVERTISEMENT

Stupidest Thing Ever?

What is the dumbest thing ever invented?

• A GoPro camera

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters

FreddyShoop

VUSports.com Legend
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
gopro-ipo.jpg

The camera is actually fantastic... the problem is people thinking their lives/hobbies are always so interesting that they need to GoPro everything. They have been ubiquitous on ski slopes the past few years and Id say 98% of footage captured is un-watchable even for the people that film it. They also make everyone who mount them on their helmets look like teletubbies. For a group trip or on a day with new snow it can be a fun way to capture some memories but its way overused.

Can an Asian answer me a question, why do they take so many pictures. I have asked Asians I am friends with and their response is, "We don't take that many pictures." So clearly they are in denial, would like someone to give me a real answer.

The thing about them is that they are cheap enough that you can buy one and only use it a couple times a year without it feeling like a waste. I think GoPros are really cool but I would never have a use for one.

My buddy took his on the golf course and on a few holes set it up on the tee to record his swing. It creates a bluetooth or wifi hotspot so he could then rewatch it on his phone. Cool technology but really annoying when you're trying to find his ball and he's ignorantly critiquing his swing on his phone.

I read earlier this morning that GoPros' Founder contributed $500 mm in stock to a charitable foundation. Money to burn....

I know quite a few people in their twenties who have douche sticks, and if they don't have one they want one.

If you're not into skiing or snowboarding or surfing, I just don't see the use for it. Seems like a toy for rich d-bags.

I can say that I do wish I had thought of it. I wish I had thought of a lot of things.

I truly don't understand people's need to take pictures of themselves. I was driving up Ithan from the south campus direction one day this spring, and saw some girl taking a selfie at the corner, with the Pike lot behind her. It looked like she was on her way to class. Does she really think that all 19 of her instagram followers think that it's awesome that she was going to make it to Christianity 1002 on time?

POLL: POLL

What's worse? Old people in huge crowds at Disney World on motorized scooters or Asians in huge crowds at Disney using their Go Pro extenders?

Can an Asian answer me a question, why do they take so many pictures. I have asked Asians I am friends with and their response is, "We don't take that many pictures." So clearly they are in denial, would like someone to give me a real answer.
Can a white person give me an answer?

Didn't think so.

If you're not into skiing or snowboarding or surfing, I just don't see the use for it. Seems like a toy for rich d-bags.
Even if you're into those things, what's the point? Is watching a bad video of what you saw live with you own eyes when you were skiing really worth watching? It strikes me as the kind of thing that sounds cool for about a minute, then you reflect on when you'd actually watch the videos and realize the answer is never.

Obsessions with self-photography is a symptom of the larger problem of vanity. It's one thing if it's truly social sharing/networking. But 99% of it is not. It's either posturing for an imagined audience or straight up mental m@sturbation.
This. Narcissism is an epidemic.

Who the f-ck cares what you ate for dinner last night? What possesses people to take pictures of their delicious steak tartare then "share" it with their "friends?"

Reactions: dirtyd
Thats another thing that irritated me from the Real Sports piece last night. They portrayed the founder as this wayward loser with a Born to Lose tattoo, incapable of getting a decent paying job. Like a rags to riches story. This punk came from money and never held a job in his life - because he didn't need to. He traveled the world snowboarding & surfing all while still on his parents' tit at age 25.

Great, you made a waterproof camera that comes with an arm band. Good for you.

“That’s why I started GoPro by bootstrapping it.”

Let he amongst us who is without parents that are able to invest a half million dollars on our fun waterproof camera idea after they already sunk millions into your failed online gaming company cast the first stone.

Selfie culture is insane. Women on twitter's argument is "it's one lf the few things which make us feel better about ourselves in a society which has unrealistic standarfs of appearance"

For a few weeks, i bought this as decent reasoning. But all it is is a bandaid on a gunshot wound. If you have insecurity issues, you arent going to be able to get your "fix" of instagram likes at any given moment. You need to work on why you feel bad about yourself, not receive gratification from the outside.

The other big cause lf selfies/pictures every day is documenting meals, events, gym, work accoomplishments, etc. I'm okay with these for big moments, i.e. Losing a lot of weight or a birthday dinner. People just abuse it though. By polluting the "market", we've made everythng that does actually matter have less meaning. Parents 30th wedding anniversary? Just an opportunity to get more likes than usual.

There's going to be breaking point where we as a society become done with the "sharing" in general. It just seems a long ways off. Religion used to be the opiate of the masses, but now it is these little slivers of perceived fame.

It's 4:30 AM and i'm in an uber. Got a little weird with this post

isnt he the highest paid CEO in the US? made something like 280M last year. i think its stupid too but America loves selfies.

Next time just post a selfie

QUOTE="SnottieDrippen, post: 128223, member: 2108"]Selfie culture is insane. Women on twitter's argument is "it's one lf the few things which make us feel better about ourselves in a society which has unrealistic standarfs of appearance"

For a few weeks, i bought this as decent reasoning. But all it is is a bandaid on a gunshot wound. If you have insecurity issues, you arent going to be able to get your "fix" of instagram likes at any given moment. You need to work on why you feel bad about yourself, not receive gratification from the outside.

The other big cause lf selfies/pictures every day is documenting meals, events, gym, work accoomplishments, etc. I'm okay with these for big moments, i.e. Losing a lot of weight or a birthday dinner. People just abuse it though. By polluting the "market", we've made everythng that does actually matter have less meaning. Parents 30th wedding anniversary? Just an opportunity to get more likes than usual.

There's going to be breaking point where we as a society become done with the "sharing" in general. It just seems a long ways off. Religion used to be the opiate of the masses, but now it is these little slivers of perceived fame.

It's 4:30 AM and i'm in an uber. Got a little weird with this post[/QUOTE]

It's interesting to me because as a Gen-Xer I opened a fB account quite a few years after it was available to everyone (2004-ish), and only because one of my HS classmates had died - fB was the only place where funeral details were available. If not for that I may have resisted it entirely. I'm not on Twitter.

I am "friends" with many of my classmates from HS and college and only a few of them actually post interesting things. The rest are status updates on their breeders' lifestyle (all unfollowed) and a steady stream of the inane types of posts as SD mentioned - meals cooked, trips to the gym, endless check-ins, etc.

But that said, the friends in my age group (early 40s) do excercise some restraint with their posts. It's not every single thing going on, all day, every day. Also, intimate personal details aren't usually shared in this group.

With my Millennial friends, it's the next level. They post EVERYTHING. No matter how personal. No matter how offensive. They want to be seen and heard, and nothing is going to stop them.

Reactions: CWertz
Do Millennials have a different notion of privacy, or do they simply not value it that much? I'm not sure all this sharing is better or worse, but it is certainly different.

Thing that irks me is that it is so commonplace now. If you don't do facebook and/or taking pics every 2 minutes, you are some type of leper.

Went to a friend's birthday dinner a few weeks back. Most the people I didn't even know. People whipping out their cameras taking pics of a 53-year old man's birthday dinner. His wife laughing at me as I tried dodging as many pics as possible - she knows I'm anti-photo. Some lady I didn't know asked why I didn't want to be in any pics. Tried explaining that I've never liked getting my pic taken; especially nowadays where these pics will be plastered on countless FB pages of people I don't know. She didn't get it.

Also annoying is when your older relatives get on there for the first time and they don't understand their actions and how the privacy settings work. Like my Aunt who comments on every single one of my posts with "Thanks for sharing!" because she has all of 6 friends and my updates are pretty much all she sees. I also see posts meant as 1-to1 messages involving two different people getting to my fB wall on a daily basis.

Great thread.

Bunch of Villanova kids complaining of someone's unfair start in life because Mommy and Daddy had money. Boo Hoo. That and that people are narcissitic...hilarious.

GoPro is taking the Gillette model. The cameras cost nothing but the mounts are high margin.

Hell, CNN got in trouble for sending an intern into the Supreme Court press room today with a GoPro mounted to his chest.

I try and stay out of the Facebook nonsense with pictures, I don't friend any relatives unless they are cousins and siblings who do hood rat things. Don't feel like family should see the shit you do on the Facebook.

I'm bored at work this morning and going through some old threads from back when I was off the board. So far this is one of the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT