ADVERTISEMENT

Temple

prospect

All VUSports.com Team
Sep 25, 2001
One of my gripes about playing Temple we are playing a local rival on an uneven playing field. I love having an FBS game each year, but I don't want to be potential cannon fodder for a program in our back yard whose fans can't stand us, and whose media coverage (both print and electronic) are largely Temple grads. If VU was FBS, I would all be in favor of playing the game.
To their credit, Temple has made great strides, strides that I didn't think they were capable of making. Their next test is sustaining the level they have reached. We play them in 2 years, and I just hope we can be competitive. We beat them in '09, should have beaten them in '10, got blown out in '11 and '12 (although Villanova put up 200 yds of offense on them in the first half when the game still meant something), could have beaten them in '13 had we played them (Fordham beat them that year), would have been competitive with them in '14, and would probably have gotten beaten decisively this year, even with JR. The gap seems to be widening. Can we be competitive in 2017?? I hope so. I know Andy like to paly the game because no travel etc. I just don't see the upside. Thoughts??

I imagine Temple feels the same way right about now. Yet I also remember how Temple was in a 2 or 3 point game with Penn State in 1975 and it took them 40 years (and a horrific Happy Valley scandal) just to make up those 2 or 3 points. As good as Temple looks this minute (admittedly pretty, pretty good), the Owls have a history of turning silk purses into sow's ears. For one thing, they aren't going to keep getting lucky with new coaches every 3 years. For another, they are still only the 3rd best team in a shaky conference whose marquee members (Cincy, UCONN and the flavor of the month) are looking for the Golden Ticket out. In my way of thinking, an AAC vs.Top 4 CAA matchup isn't a lopsided mismatch 9 times out of 10. If we find TU in a 3rd tier bowl come Christmas against the 6th or 7th best team in a Power 5 conference, what has really changed? Now, the state of the program at VU is another subject; one on which I will defer comment for the moment out of deference to the kids manning the battlements so valiantly. Time will offer a more appropriate opportunity for in-depth commentary from the Loyal 400 or so of us (IMO, the only ones who have a right to speak our minds, because we support the program, buy the tickets and attend the games, come Hell or Trick or Treat).

Temple Memphis and Houston are all ranked in the top 25 with Navy being 28th those 4 would destroy any CAA team 9 times out of 10. Uconn is like our our 8th best team this year and still beat a healthy Nova team. Also Rhule isn't leaving as soon as everyone thinks he is.

Reactions: tmbmtm
Temple Memphis and Houston are all ranked in the top 25 with Navy being 28th those 4 would destroy any CAA team 9 times out of 10. Uconn is like our our 8th best team this year and still beat a healthy Nova team. Also Rhule isn't leaving as soon as everyone thinks he is.
Dude, you have 2000 posts masquerading as a Villanova fan? Wow.

Reactions: DCFRANKLIN
Villanova fan (if you are one), your post didn't even remotely address what I was posting about. No one is saying anything about the CAA being competitive with the AAC. Anyway,should they be with 22 less scholarship and a fraction of the budget. Apples and Oranges.

7-8 years ago you could say that the two programs were comparatively close. Saturday night's game demonstrated how the gap has widened. Temple needs to do whatever is necessary to keep their current coach.

Reactions: tmbmtm
Agree the gap has widened. In my opinion this has resulted largely from Temple wisely "right sizing" its conference affiliation.
VU was left at the altar by the Big East football conference, which turned around and comped Temple back in, which in turn facilitated Temple's leap into the AAC. We on the other hand are stuck in 1AA limbo. Our support has fallen from weak to non-existent. Saturday night was as sad off the field as it was encouraging on the field. For the record, unlike the phony "Villanova fan" posting above, I was 100% rooting for Temple vs. ND & Penn State. If Temple can schedule ND, Penn State and perhaps Alabama every year at home, they will continue to earn the loyalty of the drive by media.

Update: ESPN projects Temple will make it to the Miami Beach Bowl v. Western Kentucky or the Boca Raton Bowl v. Toledo. Nothing has changed re: Temple's stature in FBS.

Reactions: Brahmabullgc
Update: ESPN projects Temple will make it to the Miami Beach Bowl v. Western Kentucky or the Boca Raton Bowl v. Toledo. Nothing has changed re: Temple's stature in FBS.

As I keep saying, things could be worse for Temple. We could be playing Richmond this weekend in front of maybe 5,000 fans.

As I keep saying, things could be worse for Temple. We could be playing Richmond this weekend in front of maybe 5,000 fans.
You've had a great run this year and I mean it sincerely, but it was only 2 years ago for a few of your games that there were about 5-10k in the stands (no matter what the official attendance said).. Two years ago, Villanova still could compete with you...the year Fordham beat you. Now, the challenge for Temple is to see if this is a blip on the radar screen, or this is an era of sustained success. I feel glad for the Temple fans that have always been there through the good and the bad and I assume you are one of those, There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers though. Good luck the rest of the year.

That's funny. Last weekend Villanova played in front of 6600 fans at URI while Temple played before maybe half that many at SMU. And the bowl selection committees know it. That's why Temple is ticketed for a 3rd tier bowl unless they win out.

That's funny. Last weekend Villanova played in front of 6600 fans at URI while Temple played before maybe half that many at SMU. And the bowl selection committees know it. That's why Temple is ticketed for a 3rd tier bowl unless they win out.
Isn't SMU that great POWERHOUSE? They would lose to Richmond.

Temple is having their best year since ....ever I guess. In my memory the year they went to the holiday bowl back in the late seventies was the only year comparable. Good for them. In two years lots of things change. They were lucky to have only faced JR as a freshman. Let's see how good they are in 2018.

Temple is having their best year since ....ever I guess. In my memory the year they went to the holiday bowl back in the late seventies was the only year comparable. Good for them. In two years lots of things change. They were lucky to have only faced JR as a freshman. Let's see how good they are in 2018.

JR didn't start as Freshman against Temple in 2012. He came in relief of QB Andy preferred and thereafter started and starred in every game he was able to until injury ended his career this season. I suspect he might have beaten Temple in 2012 if he had started.

Reactions: tmccarv
JR didn't start as Freshman against Temple in 2012. He came in relief of QB Andy preferred and thereafter started and starred in every game he was able to until injury ended his career this season. I suspect he might have beaten Temple in 2012 if he had started.
PCH, JR was a redshirt freshman when he came in against Temple.

It's amazing what one year of success will do to a team's fan base like Temple. That will happen anywhere to a point, but they have gone a bit over the top with Temple. New stadium based on one year's success?? Let's see what attendance is next year when Penn State and ND don't come to town to inflate it. They've had a great year, but one year does not a program make. Remember, you lost to Fordham two years ago. Maybe Ruhle can sustain it, but another football genius came to town a few years ago who doesn't seem like such a genius anymore. In my mind, the jury is still out on Temple. Time will tell.

No matter how good Temple gets, they will continue to be sent to the Boca Raton Bowl vs. a MAC team until they can show they have a loyal fan base that will travel. Bowl selections are all about how many fannies your school can put in the seats.

Temple really did try to put a spin on it saying how many Alums they have on the Boca area. I would imagine that in reality, they are very disappointed in not playing a school with a higher profile than Toledo. That is not to say that Toledo isn't a good team, but they have little or no name recognition.

There will be 12,000 in the stands to watch that game 3 days before Christmas

agreed; I've given up fighting that battle; I and my wife are season ticket holders; that's all I can do to make things better.

Reactions: DCFRANKLIN
Happy Politically Correct Holidays to the Philly program that loses $15 million a year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT