ADVERTISEMENT

Too much Temple coverage?

Ed, we do not have near the size of Temple's alumni base. Just simple numbers.

It is hard to envision us pulling that off and I am one of the OVERLY optimistic ones when it comes to football.

Used, it is the biggest game notre dame has played in philly since....? Were you expecting philly ND fans to not pay attention? ND has a good following on the east coast, you are acting surprised that people tuned in to watch them play.

Reactions: Jerseyjoe027
Used, it is the biggest game notre dame has played in philly since....? Were you expecting philly ND fans to not pay attention? ND has a good following on the east coast, you are acting surprised that people tuned in to watch them play.
Just giving the cap tip. No matter how they got there, national attention was pretty high.

Actual game may have surpassed hype. Hard nosed action packed football. Even w/ Owls getting a L.

Stadium was probably 55-45 Temple fans vs ND Delco/NE Philly fans. Actually ND alumni in attendance, probably a couple thousand. UncleEd can dream, but this was a great week for Temple even with the loss. Problem is Vtech coaching job is now open and that is the one I fear the most for Rhule leaving.

The AAC will always be a stepping stone conference for good young coaches. They are having a nice year but long term success will be tough. Currently BC, PSU, Maryland, UVA, VA Tech and Rutgers all down. Now is this time but all those jobs coming open soon.

I guess I'm just not as impressed by a high exposure October college football loss as some others. If this is the high point of Temole football, well that says a lot about how low that program really is...

Didn't Rutgers at least win their big exposure game last decade that was the high point of their college football existence? Temple didn't even win the game, they lost when their qb decided to throw into triple coverage.

Losing coaches sucks because you are constantly rebuilding. But other than about a dozen top coaches, is there really that big of a difference in quality from one football coach to another. You see guys like Addazio and Golden have success against AAC competition the fail against major opponents. I suspect the success and failure has less to do with coaching ability than with competition and having to recruit against football factories.

Coaching and recruiting. However, you are crazy if you don't think a coach makes a significant difference. Both in terms of stability and on field performance. I don't care how well you recruit. If you're getting a new coach every 4 years your program is going to struggle.

Nova brought 250 fans to the national championship game and average around 5500 for football. No one under the age of 60 cares.

Once the old timers die off, will anyone ever go to a Nova football game? Serious question. I'd say alums from the 80s forward don't care. It's a dying sport at Nova.

Last edited:
Coaching and recruiting. However, you are crazy if you don't think a coach makes a significant difference. Both in terms of stability and on field performance. I don't care how well you recruit. If you're getting a new coach every 4 years your program is going to struggle.

That's why I mentioned Temple constantly rebuilding. My point was that just because Matt Rhule has had success at Temple doesn't mean he will at Virginia Tech. The bigger programs are always looking to pluck a coach who has success at a low-level program but I think it is a total crapshoot. Most of the time they would be better off building with who they have. There is so little continuity in college football coaching. That's the way it seems to me as a non-fan observer.

Once the old timers die off, will anyone ever go to a Nova football game? Serious question. I'd say alums from the 80s forward don't care. It's a dying sport at Nova.

It's a dying sport at all but maybe 60 schools. As are most other sports if you are looking at it from a perspective where number of fans equals success.

I was looking at it earlier today.. Temple has really lucked out in terms of scheduling this season.

No Houston
No Navy
Penn State, Memphis, and Notre Dame at home.

It feels like Rutgers in 06. It'll be interesting to see what happens when a Memphis team that has an outside chance at a playoff berth at stake comes to town in a few weeks.

There list of guys who catch lightening in a bottle ate long. However, great coaches make a world of difference. Ask Ohio state, alabams, texas, michigan, Florida etc...you can't out anyone in there and think the name on the front of the jersey is all that matters.

Stadium was probably 55-45 Temple fans vs ND Delco/NE Philly fans. Actually ND alumni in attendance, probably a couple thousand. UncleEd can dream, but this was a great week for Temple even with the loss. Problem is Vtech coaching job is now open and that is the one I fear the most for Rhule leaving.
Tip of the cap to Temple. It was a great week. It does not happen if ND is not the foe.

Nova brought 250 fans to the national championship game and average around 5500 for football. No one under the age of 60 cares.
Can't compare FCS crowds vs FBS crowds. Read my post, I said "if" Nova was FBS
Nova is not FBS and most likely will never be. But "if"
Not accurate, but a cheap shot at older fans.
Look at TU this season. Where were these fans two years ago? Strange things happen.

It's a dying sport at all but maybe 60 schools. As are most other sports if you are looking at it from a perspective where number of fans equals success.
You know what is dying,or rather dead, the five sports TU dropped in order to make a run at big time football.

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
Ed, we do not have near the size of Temple's alumni base. Just simple numbers.

It is hard to envision us pulling that off and I am one of the OVERLY optimistic ones when it comes to football.
Agree about the size of local Temple alumni. They have been dormant for so long .Don't even really show up to support a good hoops program. When TU reverts to football form, ( 438 - 574 all-time football record, Nova 16 -15 -2 record against TU) you won't see these people.
When Nova gets 20,000 for hoops at Wells Fargo do you think they are all VU alumni? Of course not. They are VU fans.

Last edited:
Ed, it's not a shot at older fans but reality. The old guys grew up with nova playing at the highest level. Anyone under the age of 50 did not. Therefore, we don't care. We rooted for someone else playiNG big boy football. In 20 years no one will care.

Things could be a lot worse for Temple right now. We could have just played Maine in front of 4,309 people and lost to Penn this year.......

Things could be a lot worse for Temple right now. We could have just played Maine in front of 4,309 people and lost to Penn this year.......
Penn will never play Temple.Because of the obvious academic differences.

We are all happy for Temple but please, you barely fill the lower level of the Linc (THIS YEAR) and have had decades of terrible performance. Easy on the lectures.

We are all happy for Temple but please, you barely fill the lower level of the Linc (THIS YEAR) and have had decades of terrible performance. Easy on the lectures.

It is not a lecture. They are facts. Temple got an actual 35K+ for a horrible Tulane team and 31K+ for a winless UCF team. Will Nova meet either of these numbers if you add up all home games in Radnor this year?

And I say that knowing that Andy Talley is a great coach and Nova football has been a terrific FCS program for years.

Lets see next season, when they don't have PSU or ND as part of the season ticket package. We have all seen the pictures of sparse crowds at the Linc for Temple games. And the bottom line is that no temple fan should ever use attendance as a trump card in a discussion with a Nova fan.

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
31k for a school that has many multiples more living alums (most of which are in driving distance to Philadelphia) than Villanova is actually pretty sad.

What's the best bowl Temple could go to if they win out?

The Peach or Fiesta on NYD, but they need to win out and be highest ranked team from outside the power 5 conferences to win their conference championship.

Why can't they beat Memphis? They get them at home.

How much of Temple's attendance this year was driven by ticket packaging for the ND and PSU games? I got tickets to the VU at Temple game a number of years ago, because a hockey teammate of mine had to buy season tickets to get the Penn State game.

If they don't have a marquis home game next year, even with a similar level record, are they still drawing what they did this year?

Temple drawing 35k against a non-ND/PSU-type team is like when the Sixers say they drew 15k vs. the Hornets on a Tuesday. Mostly handouts to local kids groups/charities. I have a friend who worked in the TU athletic dept who laughed at me when I paid for a ticket to a TU football game a few years ago.

Temple drawing 35k against a non-ND/PSU-type team is like when the Sixers say they drew 15k vs. the Hornets on a Tuesday. Mostly handouts to local kids groups/charities. I have a friend who worked in the TU athletic dept who laughed at me when I paid for a ticket to a TU football game a few years ago.

Sounds like Nova basketball at the Wells Fargo center now that Syracuse, Louisville, etc. are no longer on the schedule. I can't tell you how many free Nova tickets I was offered for the games at Wells Fargo last year and that was with a top 10 team.

Sounds like Nova basketball at the Wells Fargo center now that Syracuse, Louisville, etc. are no longer on the schedule. I can't tell you how many free Nova tickets I was offered for the games at Wells Fargo last year and that was with a top 10 team.

He has a point. I believe there was even a buy 1 get 1 offer from Wells Fargo center for some games.

Yes, the get on free was the exhibition. Nova has gotten to a point we pack the Wells Fargo with or without Cuse etc...St. John's was a mobbed, G'town mobbed etc....I'm the first one to call our fans out as we should in football. However, we now come close to filling downtown for any BE or major OC game.

Also, Temple's had a great run. No need to take shots at them. They have been historically awful and I'm sure this is the apex. Let them enjoy it.

Yes, the get on free was the exhibition. Nova has gotten to a point we pack the Wells Fargo with or without Cuse etc...St. John's was a mobbed, G'town mobbed etc....I'm the first one to call our fans out as we should in football. However, we now come close to filling downtown for any BE or major OC game.

Also, Temple's had a great run. No need to take shots at them. They have been historically awful and I'm sure this is the apex. Let them enjoy it.

The buy 1 get 1 was Marquette mid season. And we do not come close to selling out vs BE teams hence the buy 1 get 1 on Marquette. Mid week games against middling BE teams don't pack them. Sorry but Marquette, Creighton do not pack them in like ND, Cuse and Uconn or even Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT