ADVERTISEMENT

TSA lines

RimJobbLarry

Diaper Dandy
May 4, 2016
how did these get so out of control? 3+ hour waits, people missing flights routinely. And to boot, these rent a cops still miss fake bombs and guns when tested.

Reactions: kjbert
A few days ago I read that the TSA wants to hire another 4,500 people. That has to solve the problems, right?

The same article mentioned that airlines are starting to offer up employees to help the TSA with non-security related tasks around the security gates (i.e. cleaning up the bins, etc). You know it is a desperate situation when penny pinching airlines are willing to pay their employees to help the hapless TSA

Just fold the TSA into the military. Get a bunch of MP's in there hustling people through instead of minimum wage Temple grads and everything will work fine.

img-96602583.jpg

The should privatize it and get non-retards in there.

I know I sound like a Republican here.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...ng_the_tsa_fix_those_hellish_lines_uh_no.html

weird that they reference the Time study that shows SFO is the worst airport. not sure if they are counting delays in regards to flights or amount of time spent in line. because there are consistently lines here at SFO, even though it's privatized, but i've never seen it longer than 45 minutes. i'd blame a lot of the delays in terminal 3, anyway, on new construction.

TSA pre-check out here is actually the least efficient of any airport i hit because so many people have it compared to those bumble-dicks in the flyover states who have no idea what it is. flying to indy for the 500 this weekend and leaving out of indy on monday morning pre-check will be absolutely empty.

its just a mirage so we can feel safe. one of their other answers to the lines has been to start advertising precheck more but they have already reduced precheck staff so some of those lines are sucking (if precheck is even open) and with any more people will get worse. oh and they don't have enough employees to actually do the precheck application screenings at many sites so people can't get appointments or have to wait for 4 hours + for their interview. great stuff

Its also such a silly approach.. its like we are protecting airplanes not people. The pre-screening/security line of 3 hours worth of people probably represents an easier target than a flight.

Newark once the pre-check line was longer than the slob line.
the new newark arrangement for terminal C is absurd with pre-check and premier only being able to screen through one area. They wouldn't let me go through the empty regular line closer to my gate last week. On my way home through Newark around the 5pm hour the lines were enormous. Snaked around one level then you had to go up to the gate level to get to the real line. Had to be 1.5 hours at least.

Reactions: jiggie_agent
its just a mirage so we can feel safe. one of their other answers to the lines has been to start advertising precheck more but they have already reduced precheck staff so some of those lines are sucking (if precheck is even open) and with any more people will get worse. oh and they don't have enough employees to actually do the precheck application screenings at many sites so people can't get appointments or have to wait for 4 hours + for their interview. great stuff

Its also such a silly approach.. its like we are protecting airplanes not people. The pre-screening/security line of 3 hours worth of people probably represents an easier target than a flight.

Agree. If you really want to inflict damage, a backpack in one of these packed lines would take out more people than on a plane.

I dont know or care. The only point to this thread was to bait you and the other board dickhead to fight for 3 days about how tax dollars are allocated to airport safety. You're letting me down. Start pointlessly arguing.

Reactions: adp98
Where is this happening? (I don't pay attention to current events.) I've gone through security in IAH multiple times the last few weeks and have not had a wait of more than 10-15 minutes. The back end of the flights were through 3rd or 4th tier cities, so not major hubs.

Where is this happening? (I don't pay attention to current events.) I've gone through security in IAH multiple times the last few weeks and have not had a wait of more than 10-15 minutes. The back end of the flights were through 3rd or 4th tier cities, so not major hubs.
Man if only people listed the airports in the above thread.

I haven't hit an actual pre-check line longer than 20 minutes. However, I love when PHL closes the actual precheck line and puts you in the regular line and then you still have to take off your shoes (but can keep your jacket on). Baffles me. Best precheck line is the one at the US Air/American terminal at Logan. I haven't been in it longer than 5 minutes.

I just finally got my precheck number this week, but I thought EWR terminal C was a crapshow for non-precheck line? Is the pre-check line a mess also? A few months ago got stuck at regular security for 60 minutes at 5:30am, and made my flight by about 90 seconds.

The pre-check doesn't work when everyone has it. Best bet is still to fly First Class and be in the premium line. I've had First Class and TSA Pre and used the First Class line. It's always been shorter in my experience.

I still have no clue why the lines have gotten worse all of a sudden. I fly in and out of Chicago often and never waited more than 20 minutes to get through.

The pre-check doesn't work when everyone has it. Best bet is still to fly First Class and be in the premium line. I've had First Class and TSA Pre and used the First Class line. It's always been shorter in my experience.

I still have no clue why the lines have gotten worse all of a sudden. I fly in and out of Chicago often and never waited more than 20 minutes to get through.

4.png

Love how kjbert' answer is to just fly first class. Brilliant.

Sorry. Was just comparing the two from a convenience perspective. First Class line is a hassle when you get to the TSA people because you do need to take off your shoes, etc. But it is worth it.

Flying the shuttle from LGA to ORD - $100 more to fly first class - sometimes less.

The two choke points to boarding a plane are bag check and the security line because they both require human resources (checking your ID and boarding pass).

The big airports just can't keep up with the demand. They seem to be able to build more terminals and gates to accomodate additional plane traffic, but there are not enough people working the ticketing floor and for TSA. And there are not enough metal detectors. My last flight at JFK I had to suffer through just two active metal detector lanes (terminal 5) - absolutely unbelievable for a major international city's airport - there should be at *least* 10. And there should be a dedicated one for PreCheck - several times I have been herded through with the masses.

I actually received an e-mail from Delta a day before flying out of JFK advising me to show up 2 hours before my domestic flight. I definitely would have missed my flight had I not done that.

The precheck model is brilliant. Make it seem like a good deal, get basically the entire country to give up their finger prints, and pay for the privilege of doing so (85 bucks every five years to give your personal information to the entire National security complex). When everyone has it, it'll be worthless.

Yeah but how many people will go out of their way to get precheck?! I had to go to New Castle DE, to some shady warehouse, to get printed and sign off. The other option was go sit in the miserable Philadelphia office for hours despite making an appointment. If you fly maybe once a year why would you get it?

the "clear" line is the new thing here in sf. only in a handful of airports, but you walk right in. although from what i saw today, once you bypass the entire line before the ID check guy they don't throw you in the pre-check section, you have to go wait with all the other mongoloids in regular check-in

Come on. Let's be honest. We all know why TSA lines are so long and why the agents are so worthless. But we also all know it will get us banned.

No need for discussion.

Yeah but how many people will go out of their way to get precheck?! I had to go to New Castle DE, to some shady warehouse, to get printed and sign off. The other option was go sit in the miserable Philadelphia office for hours despite making an appointment. If you fly maybe once a year why would you get it?
Basically every single person who flies from now til August will want it.

Sure, but how many of them will actually get it? Plus it takes 2-3 weeks to get it. That timeframe will probably increase if they get more applicants. Spend 85 dollars, wait for a few hours for an appointment, or get to the airport a few hours early. I'm betting most for getting to the airport early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT