ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. OPEN

Roger is playing so well of late, even making some pretty dramatic changes to his approach in recent months. He had a great tourney in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago where ne beat Murray in the semis and then Djoker in the finals the next day. He truly is unbelievable and is showing no signs of going away.

That said, I give him little chance to win the Open. Too many matches and, of course, they're all best of five unlike Cincy.

Djoker is the obvious heavy favorite. After Novak, there's a big drop but the only other guys who have a decent chance would be Roger, Stan the Man, maybe Murray (whom I despise), and maybe even a guy like Berdych, Tsonga or Raonic if one of them catches fire. Rafa has no chance.

I don't understand how you guys can't get into the US Open or any of the majors for that matter. "To each is own" as Burrsies would say.

Historically an amazing tourney.

Connors or McEnroe won for 7 straight years from '78-'84 yet never faced off in the final.

Lendl made an amazing 8 finals in a row ('82-'89) but only won 3 ('85-'87)

Borg was 0-4 in finals losing to Connors twice and McEnroe twice.

Sampras was 3-0 vs. Agassi in finals.

Federer won 5 straight finals from '04 to '08 - all different opponents.

Djokovic is 1-4 in finals losing to Nadal twice, Federer and Murray.

Only 9 players have won 2 or more finals in the Open era (Federer, Sampras, Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Nadal, Agassi, Edbert, Rafter).

Last year? Marin Cilic beat Kei Nishikori 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 in the final.

Djoker is a 1-1 favorite to win the event which are horrid odds for a guy who has only won 1 of 10 US Opens. If these courts are playing anywhere near as fast as the Cincy courts, Federer could get him again. Federer would have to probably get past Murray first but judging by their last 6 meetings there's probably a good chance of that. Nadal is very little threat to Djokovic on hard courts at this point.

Nishikori and Cilic played the final last year when Cilic was in other-wordly devastating form. He's nowhere near that level this year and Nishi already got bounced out in the first round.

I went for the first time last night. I hate tennis.

I had a great time. Wish I had done the all day pass and had walked around the grounds during the day session. Pretty cool bucket list item - for a dork.

Remember when Nadal used to be really good at tennis? I've never seen such a great athlete go completely off the rails as quickly as this guy. He plays with the confidence of a WTA player (not named Serena). It's to the point now where he gets pushed around the court by 5'6 grinders. You know the guy's body would eventually wear down but he's almost completely shot before age 30 on anything but a clay court.

Jordan Speith already won the US Open. Tennis is for schmucks.

Anything that EDubs doesn't like is for "schmucks". Extremely open-minded individual. If you like NASCAR you are most definitely a loser. Anything else is within boundaries. Except maybe Kronum. Or Curling.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjbert
Remember when Nadal used to be really good at tennis? I've never seen such a great athlete go completely off the rails as quickly as this guy. He plays with the confidence of a WTA player (not named Serena). It's to the point now where he gets pushed around the court by 5'6 grinders. You know the guy's body would eventually wear down but he's almost completely shot before age 30 on anything but a clay court.

Completely off the rails??? I'm not sure I agree with that.

He had a horrendous, injury-plagued year and, consequently, his ranking has plummeted - but he's still in the top 10. And I'm assuming you know how the ATP points work, right? He will be back in the Top 4 or so by the Aussie Open.

Yes, his game (and thus, his confidence) has slipped as a result of the injuries and being out of action for a while but I think he'll be back in (close to) top form. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win a couple more Slams.

Smart money would be on Tsonga. Hopefully we get a Novak vs. Fed final. I would try to get up there for that as you don't know how many more you'll get.

Completely off the rails??? I'm not sure I agree with that.

He had a horrendous, injury-plagued year and, consequently, his ranking has plummeted - but he's still in the top 10. And I'm assuming you know how the ATP points work, right? He will be back in the Top 4 or so by the Aussie Open.

Yes, his game (and thus, his confidence) has slipped as a result of the injuries and being out of action for a while but I think he'll be back in (close to) top form. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win a couple more Slams.

Enough with the injury stuff. He's played the entire season! He was hurt over a year ago. How long before we can judge him again? 2017? The only reason he's even still in the top 10 is because of solid clay-court results - he's done absolutely nothing on every other surface.

Smart money would be on Tsonga. Hopefully we get a Novak vs. Fed final. I would try to get up there for that as you don't know how many more you'll get.

It's def a fun time. I'll be up there and prob will go Sat and Mon nights. Trying to get Tsonga's agent to hook us up with some tickets, if not we'll be in the cheap seats.

Gdog, I've already acknowledged that he's had a dreadful year by his standards. No one would dispute that. And despite his dreadful year, there are only 7 or 8 people on the planet earth that are ranked higher than he is.

The only difference between what you are saying and what I've been saying is that I think he will continue to regain his form (or close to it) and get back into the big four. And you think he is completely shot at this point.

Oh, and the guy that you said was pushing him around today lost to him in straight sets.

I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Nadal is toast. His PED infused body has broken down.

The Nadal of old would never play life and death sets with scrubs like Diego Schwartzman. Nadal's explosive movement and explosive forehand just isnt the same anymore. He leaves so many balls short in the court. He can get away with it against guys with no firepower. But we are seeing time and again he cant get away with it against the guys who have weapons. I just dont see how you believe he's going to regain his previous form as he gets older.

And despite his dreadful year, there are only 7 or 8 people on the planet earth that are ranked higher than he is..

I said his decent ranking is because of his good success in the clay court season. We know he's still good on the red dirt. He's completely toast on grass at this point but he was never supposed to be good on the lawn anyway. What's amazing as he used to be great on it. Now he is routinely losing to guys outside the top 100 on the grass. The most alarming, and telling, thing is his dip on hardcourts.

What a splendid nightcap stand-alone match tonight. Djokovic as a -15000 favorite. Should be riveting viewing. If you enjoy seeing someone get run over by a train, that is.

So far, this match has actually been rather entertaining. This guy realizes his only chance is to just grip it and rip it. He's hanging tough but now's about the time Novak decides he wants a late break.

Last edited:
One he gets broken the floodgates will open. Novak looks absolutely bored to tears out there.

Murray playing some blistering tennis today as a -10000 favorite. Looking reaaaal good out there.

When Roger is relaxed like he is against this clown, he can do absolutely anything he wants. Thing of beauty.

Not sure who I'd rather bang more....Ivanovic or Roger.

Missed Murrays match. Did he fake a limp at all after losing a set? That's his go to

Yep. Hard to believe. But wasn't that a few years ago (2012 or 2013)? One of the biggest upsets ever in a major.

Nadal was a -12000 favorite in that match. The biggest upset in tennis history, odds wise. The next biggest, Federer when he lost to Stakhovsky as a -10000 at Wimbledon, Nadal losing to Rosol at Wimbledon as a -8000 favorite, Hewitt was also -8000 favorite at Wimbledon when losing to Dr. Ivo in the first round the year after he won Wimbledon. So the 4 biggest upsets have all come at the same event.

Missed Murrays match. Did he fake a limp at all after losing a set? That's his go to

You know it. Mannarino said after the match something to the effect of, "I guess he's faking when he does that".

Ya think?

Nadal was a -12000 favorite in that match. The biggest upset in tennis history, odds wise. The next biggest, Federer when he lost to Stakhovsky as a -10000 at Wimbledon, Nadal losing to Rosol at Wimbledon as a -8000 favorite, Hewitt was also -8000 favorite at Wimbledon when losing to Dr. Ivo in the first round the year after he won Wimbledon. So the 4 biggest upsets have all come at the same event.

Speaking of Hewitt, he played a great match in his US Open farewell last night in the five setter vs. Tomic. I really thought he would pull that out as Tomic was COMPLETELY gassed in the fifth while Hewitt looked pretty fresh. Absolutely hated Hewitt for most of his career despite being friends with his one-time coach, but he has grown on me the last 2 - 3 years.

By the way, I've never seen a young player move as poorly as Tomic was moving last night. Makes John Isner look like David Ferrer..

It's the PGA Championship of tennis?

Nadal in a 5th set with hardcourt wizard Fabio Fognini, who has won about 2 matches all year on anything besides clay. Christ this is embarrassing.

Nadal loses 6-4 in the 5th. There were 7 straight service breaks in the set.

Nadal was up two sets to none. The loss ended Nadal's record streak of 10 years in a row with at least one grand slam singles title.

'Fognini shut a lot of people up with this effort today' - McEnroe on ESPN.

Nadal loses 6-4 in the 5th. There were 7 straight service breaks in the set.

Nadal was up two sets to none. The loss ended Nadal's record streak of 10 years in a row with at least one grand slam singles title.

'Fognini shut a lot of people up with this effort today' - McEnroe on ESPN.

Fognini is the epitome of everything wrong with pro athletes. The guy can play the game but can't be bothered 90% of the time. In terms of effort he barely ever tries. He hates Nadal so he gets up for those matches. Otherwise he can lose to the 400th player in the world and no one would blink.

Predictable letdown for Tomic today. Has nothing in the tank which blows my mind.

Forgot until now that God plays at 1:00 today. Bad news for my wife who foolishly thought we were doing something together this afternoon.

It's amazing how well Federer can move at his age. He remains the most graceful guy on tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT