ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. OPEN

Gw, point well made on the racquet. Tonight is going to be a battle for Federer. He needs to attack. Wife is stuck st work, kids are allowed to stay up late. If Federer wins they'll be running around the table. They love club fed.

Worth responding to myself: tonight's display has been amazing. Federer is going to go through without dropping a set. Tonight was another case of, "systematic destruction". Very cool when my 7 year old asked how good Federer was before he got old. I explain he was better than today. He was Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan. He also loves Novak, so his question was actually, "before Federer got old, was he as good as Novak is today". Pretty cool question for a 7 year old. My answer, "Federer is the best I have seen play the game". Back to the topic, He just raised his level. Federer is fresh. For you guys absent responsibilities, get tickets, go to the Open. Who cares if you have the last seat in the house.

Federer ran thru everyone at Wimbledon. Then seemed to freeze a bit against Novak in the final.

Yes he got him at Cincy but Novak historically hates the super fast courts there. The fact is when he plays Novak in a major - Roger doesn't play with the supreme confidence he plays with vs everyone else. I really hope he can win this one but have my doubts of course.

Federer ran thru everyone at Wimbledon. Then seemed to freeze a bit against Novak in the final.

Yes he got him at Cincy but Novak historically hates the super fast courts there. The fact is when he plays Novak in a major - Roger doesn't play with the supreme confidence he plays with vs everyone else. I really hope he can win this one but have my doubts of course.

Agree with all this. But Fed's playing even better now than he was at Wimby and supposedly the courts are playing faster this year, which would definitely help Roger. Novak has literally no weaknesses and is the favorite, but only very slightly in my opinion. I think Roger has a 40% - 45% chance of winning the match. What do the odds say?

By the way,we are down in VA for the UVA / ND game and I missed the match last night and might have to miss the finals tomorrow. Unthinkable. What has become of my life?

Djoker is a -125 favorite. Basically a coin flip.

Novak was -110 to win the USO before the tourney even started. Yet is only -125 in the final 6 matches later. That's how well Fed is playing.

Djoker ties pederast Bill Tilden with 10 slams. Up next are Laver and Borg (11).

Djoker ties pederast Bill Tilden with 10 slams. Up next are Laver and Borg (11).

Hard to imagine him NOT making a run at Fed's 17 Slams.

I still think Roger is the GOAT at this point given how he has been so great for so long, but Djoker's level of play right now has never been matched by anyone ever.

I still think Roger is the GOAT at this point given how he has been so great for so long, but Djoker's level of play right now has never been matched by anyone ever.
Fed 2006---played in 4 finals won 3 of them
Fed 2007--- played in 4 finals won 3 of them
Fed 2009---played in 4 finals won 2 of them

Now Djoko has had to deal with Nadal and Fed during his run. Fed primarily had just Nadal during his run. I think Djoko makes a serious run at 17. He's the best on all surfaces right now. And it's not close.

Italian ladies took queens over

Men's side needs new challenger to Jokacick. Impressive how well he played with bloody concrete burn

If I had to give an estimate of how many majors he will finish with I would lean on 18-19.

Federer made the semi's of every major he played for 9 consecutive years. People forget how dominant Federer was for basically a decade. Let's all slow down with Novak. He's incredible but has a ways to go.

Fixed.

Federer made the semi's of every major he played for 5 consecutive years. .

or

Federer made the quarters of every major he played for 8 consecutive years. .

Roger's streak of 20+ (Edit: 23 - I just checked) consecutive semi's in a major is one of the most unfathomable records in all of sports.

Last edited:
He played in 18 of 19 consecutive finals (semis in Aussie Open with mono is the one exception).

without looking at google if I recall it was 36 of 38 semi's. That is untouchable. It was ten years of dominance the sport has never seen. Oh, and he's still making finals but Novak is amazing.

My point is that Federer has a run of dominance we haven't seen. I have referenced the night I partied with Roddick. We bonded as two tennis players who happened to be in a bar my buddy owned (I hope everyone gets that joke) and I asked him how good is Federer. His response: don't ask me that question.....Well. ok. I know he's beatable but I'm not sure we've seen anyone that dominant in an individual sport. My next question, this Novak kid is pretty good. Andy, he's awesome. I believe Novak won the Aussie the next year. Look it up. I remember because my wife was preggers with our first. Believe it was summer of 07. Novak won in winter of 08.

Last edited:
without looking at google if I recall it was 36 of 38 semi's. That is untouchable. It was ten years of dominance the sport has never seen. Oh, and he's still making finals but Novak is amazing.

My point is that Federer has a run of dominance we haven't seen. .

adp, you won't get an argument out of me. In fact, I said as much in previous post. I just think it is inevitable that Novak makes a serious run at 17.

23 straight semis.....Wimbledon '04 all the way to the French in 2010, where he lost on the quarters. TWENTY THREE. That's insane. No injuries, no early round let-downs, etc. for almost six straight years.

Know nothing about this goofy sport but just love this clip from years ago where this guido from Staten Island gdog type who bet major units on the match gets wrestled down by Wilford brimley

Some inet sleuthing revealed that guido lives in CoP but originally is from tenalfly, NJ. Is that the natural migration path for all the Tenafly 20-something trash to eventually make their way to the CoP?

Know nothing about this goofy sport but just love this clip from years ago where this guido from Staten Island gdog type who bet major units on the match gets wrestled down by Wilford brimley

Great video. But that would never be me. I am the calmest guy in the room. Always. I did get a kick out of him saying he bet units on the "game". Cap tip. Hopefully Federer scored some touchdowns for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT