ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT vs. #1 Germany

rb nova

VUSports.com All-American
Gold Member
May 17, 2003
@ 2:45pm (est)

Starting XI: Guzan; Chandler, Alvarado, Brooks, Johnson; Williams, Zardes, Diskerud, Bradley; Johannsson, Agudelo.

Anyone have a good place to stream it other than the Fox Sports Go app, and something that can get past work website filters?

Reactions: kjbert
Good 1st half to be tied. 2nd half is typically their demise, though, save the Netherlands game.

Will that be a turning/learning point for this game or will it be more of the same? Granted facing the number 1 team on its home turf, so expectation is to lose. Holding on for a draw would be a great result.

If the USMNT doesn't win it all next world cup, after this gigantic win @#1 team, it would be considered a major choke.

I know its a big deal, but again I can't get excited for a win in an exhibition game

What kind of bump should the US expect in next month's rankings? I assume 2 top 5 wins on the road is a lot of ranking points.

These wins are not a predictor for future success but a good indicator of being able to better compete with and now beat the top teams - definite confidence booster to finish games. As we all know well-enough, anything can happen in a one-game knock-out setting.

Previously, they were pretty good holding their own in 1st halves but got beaten in the 2nd halves fairly consistently. They've now put two solid 2nd halves together vs. top teams in back to back games on the other team's home turf. That should bode well for future international play in neutral settings. They've beaten Germany 2 of the last three times played and even the 2-1 loss in the real game didn't impact them too negatively in the WC group stage - that could have been considered a 'friendly' in that situation as Germany had the group locked up.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
These wins are not a predictor for future success but a good indicator of being able to better compete with and now beat the top teams - definite confidence booster to finish games. As we all know well-enough, anything can happen in a one-game knock-out setting.

Previously, they were pretty good holding their own in 1st halves but got beaten in the 2nd halves fairly consistently. They've now put two solid 2nd halves together vs. top teams in back to back games on the other team's home turf. That should bode well for future international play in neutral settings. They've beaten Germany 2 of the last three times played and even the 2-1 loss in the real game didn't impact them too negatively in the WC group stage - that could have been considered a 'friendly' in that situation as Germany had the group locked up.
USA lost 1-0 in the WC and was thoroughly outplayed

While Germany didn't play their entire A squad, the U.S. is also missing 3 of their top four players in Dempsey, Altidore and Bedoya. Essentially, their entire starting forward crop wasn't on this trip. And they still put 4 on Holland and two on Germany.

Michael Bradley is quickly morphing into the best individual talent this nation has ever seen.

And the development of Yedlin is fascinating. From a guy with no ball skills to the first legitimate one on one player this country has had since #ThankYouLD was at his peak.

While Germany didn't play their entire A squad, the U.S. is also missing 3 of their top four players in Dempsey, Altidore and Bedoya. Essentially, their entire starting forward crop wasn't on this trip. And they still put 4 on Holland and two on Germany.

Is there any chance those guys just aren't as good as their backups? Obviously they were playing meaningless friendlies, but maybe the US should just stick with what's working instead of putting the chokers back in the lineup.

Is there any chance those guys just aren't as good as their backups? Obviously they were playing meaningless friendlies, but maybe the US should just stick with what's working instead of putting the chokers back in the lineup.

No. Dempsey is better than any forward in a USMNT shirt. Bedoya plays both sides of the ball. Jozy is the best proven goal scorer we have and can play with his back to goal. Johannsen scores but can't hold up play. He's better playing off of another Striker. I will say that Jordan Morris could push Jozy. Incredible work rate and can play as a hold up player.

Fair explanation. Just seems like we should let winners play. They just pulled off the greatest upset in US Soccer history (2x) -- and we're going to bench them?

Fair explanation. Just seems like we should let winners play. They just pulled off the greatest upset in US Soccer history (2x) -- and we're going to bench them?

Only replying because others care about this subject (not you).

Not the greatest upsets in US Soccer history. Beating the English in a World Cup probably 60?? years ago is the biggest.

The win vs. Spain in the 2009 Confederations Cup and the win vs. Portugal in the 2002 World Cup are probably the biggest in modern history. Could also make a case for USA vs. Colombia in 1994 to be in the mix.

But the guys that played the second halves of NED and GER are more or less afterthoughts to the USMNT (Danny Williams, Brad Evans, Kyle Beckerman) or the youth movement (Jordan Morris, Zardes, Bobby Wood).

Germany played without Neuer and Muller. I can't get too excited about the win. Neuer is the best GK in the world right now. It's better than losing, but this won't be a predictor of future success.

Biggest win for the US was its win over England in the 1950 World Cup. Philadelphia's own Walter Bahr (father of the NFL kicker Bahrs) gave the assist on the winning goal in that game. Only member of that team still alive.

Big win versus Germany, but you can't really read too much into it.

Need to win the Gold Cup next month
Final in the CoP on Sunday, July 26 at The Linc

Has the US ever beat #1 team before? We're talking a road win against #1, unbelievable. Can't believe this is getting less press than the Pirates being contenders for the 3rd year in a row.

Has the US ever beat #1 team before? We're talking a road win against #1, unbelievable. Can't believe this is getting less press than the Pirates being contenders for the 3rd year in a row.

They beat Spain when Spain was #1 in the world in 2009 in the confederations cup, which actually was a elimination game, it got them to the final where they lost to Brazil 3-2.

They beat Spain when Spain was #1 in the world in 2009 in the confederations cup, which actually was a elimination game, it got them to the final where they lost to Brazil 3-2.

And they were winning that game 2-Nil at one point, early.

I only remember because I had tickets to Yankees/Mets that night at Citi Field. It was my first time there. The number of food choices overwhelmed me (Shake Shack, Two Boots Pizza). I ate it all and threw up on the 7 Train.

If that exact team went to the World Cup, they would have had a real chance of making it to the semifinal. Charlie Davies' pace was the perfect complement to Jozy up top and Gooch was in the form of his life. Then in a 24 hour period both got hurt and suddenly those two positions went from strength to glaring weakness.

If that exact team went to the World Cup, they would have had a real chance of making it to the semifinal. Charlie Davies' pace was the perfect complement to Jozy up top and Gooch was in the form of his life. Then in a 24 hour period both got hurt and suddenly those two positions went from strength to glaring weakness.
Guy knows his soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT