ADVERTISEMENT

Wing Bowl

I went to year 7 or 8. It was one of the early years in WF Center. The contestant "Sloth" heaved. Eric Gregg, the mlb umpire turned wing bowl commissioner then announced "if you heave, you leave".
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Sportsboss_ofnothing:
After the Mummers, is this the CoP-iest event ever?
Probably. Willing to bet there is more Delco and Jersey trash at Wing Bowl than from CoP proper. Whereas Mummers is pure South Philly degenerate hooligans

Originally posted by tomdudes:
I went to year 7 or 8. It was one of the early years in WF Center. The contestant "Sloth" heaved. Eric Gregg, the mlb umpire turned wing bowl commissioner then announced "if you heave, you leave".

Eric Gregg is dead.

Went to Wing Bowl all 4 years of college. Last 2 we had a bus or 2 I believe. Even tricked the delts into attending.

Originally posted by YourBuddyRayhad:
Have you ever done Wing Bowl, burrs?

Also CoP related: how familiar were you w Uncle Eddie before the story broke?
Never did Wing Bowl. Knew a guy from neighborhood (Hank the Tank) who was in a bunch of them. A bunch of guys I knew were in his entourage a few times.

Didn't know of Uncle Eddie before the story broke. That was more of a Gray Ferry/3TO thing. I got to know some of those guys after the fact. Not sure if they were direct participants or not. The Keenan's are from there and I worked at their bar down the shore. Also, the bar I used to work at on 27th & South was frequented by a lot of GF guys. I played in men's hoops league and deck hockey league at Lanier Playground in GF. Consumed a few cocktails at Dean's and the Tasker Tavern on more than a few nights afterwards.

Is that the guy that paid you to shit in his mouth?

Not sure who burrs was referring to, but "Uncle Eddie" was definitely Ed Savitz, and he did pay for such services, as well as people defecating in pizza boxes and such. I remember when that news broke, spring of freshman year of high school ('92 I guess). Guy on the track team had the misfortune of being named Ed at the time. He left the school the next year, not sure if it was because of the nickname he acquired there.

The Daily News provided endless coverage.

He had Sandusky connections too.

Looks like Bud Selig

savits2.jpg

Uncle Eddie

Lowry, yes that's who I'm referring to.

He used to pay kids do all kinds of wacky stuff. One such thing was taking a dump on a glass coffee table while he watched from below. Yea, this cat was all there.

Reminded that he knew Sandusky - wondering how these two found each other in 1980 pre Internet. I guess it's possible when so many people at Penn State knew and supported Sandusky abusing young kids. Words spread quickly I guess, all the way to CoP.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

Originally posted by YourBuddyRayhad:
Have you ever done Wing Bowl, burrs?

Also CoP related: how familiar were you w Uncle Eddie before the story broke?

Never did Wing Bowl. Knew a guy from neighborhood (Hank the Tank) who was in a bunch of them. A bunch of guys I knew were in his entourage a few times.

Didn't know of Uncle Eddie before the story broke. That was more of a Gray Ferry/3TO thing. I got to know some of those guys after the fact. Not sure if they were direct participants or not. The Keenan's are from there and I worked at their bar down the shore. Also, the bar I used to work at on 27th & South was frequented by a lot of GF guys. I played in men's hoops league and deck hockey league at Lanier Playground in GF. Consumed a few cocktails at Dean's and the Tasker Tavern on more than a few nights afterwards.
Speaking of GF, j'ever frequent the Bocce Club?

NC, a couple of times, but never after hours or just for the hell of it. I DJ'd something there once and had maybe one or two other benefit type things there over the years. Also, I think Bocce considered more Point Breeze.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
NC, a couple of times, but never after hours or just for the hell of it. I DJ'd something there once and had maybe one or two other benefit type things there over the years. Also, I think Bocce considered more Point Breeze.
Joe Vance used to rave about that place. Said it was one of the finest Italian restaurants on the Main Line.

Patrick Bertoletti - 444 wings in 30 minutes
Molly Schuyler - 440

Originally posted by Novacatt94:

Eric Gregg is dead.
Considering they are on year 22 or 23 now, this was when he was still alive.

somewhere EL Wingador is crying in his jail cell. missed a great day of philly's finest trash.

I could be wrong but wasnt 200 wings usually the winning number? Did the wings get smaller that 400+ is needed to win?
Definitely have trended to a smaller wing to inflate the totals.
Plus they now bring in "professionals". The guy who won is from Chicago. $10,000 + a motorcycle.
Only in COP could you get 20,000 knit wits at 6am.

Originally posted by Novacatt94:

Eric Gregg is dead.
Considering they are on year 22 or 23 now, this was when he was still alive.
I know. I was just making an observation.

I love when outsiders try to trash the wonderful traditions in the CoP. Haters.

I believe 360 ish was winning total last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT