ADVERTISEMENT

Masters

spg, I was there in 07- Zach laid up on Azalea and Firethorn all four days, so I don't think the wind at his back helped him at all. I suspect novabball has a typo in the year he wa there, as Daly was sober and beers were $3, not $1, in 2012.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Novabball - thanks for advice, definitely hitting up hooters, also plan to go to partridge inn. Looking forward to it - if anyone has advice I am all ears

I assume someone has told you this, but just in case: bring bunisess cards and buy a folding chair when you first get there. When they open the gates, you can go in and set your chair (with your card in the slot on the back) anywhere in the gallery and leave it. It will be there when you want to sit down; none of the patrons will move it. You can then wander the course and know you'll have a seat when you want it. Personally, I like near the green at 11. With the pond on the left guarding the 11tth green, lots of guys lay up to the right. You're very close to the players when they play their third onto the green. At the same time, you have a nice view of the tee shots on the spectacular 12th.

I'll take a chance on Henrik Stenson as a hunch. There has been much
talk about the ball and equipment and increased distance.
Here are some numbers that might amaze you:

-Nicklaus in 1962 at the 15th at Augusta hit the 500 yard hole
with a 350 yard drive and an eight iron.
-In the long drive contest there Billy Joe Patton hit it 338.
-The amateur from WV whose name escapes me at the moment
hit it 329 in the long drive contest.

At the Open in 1959 at Winged Foot Nicklaus out hit his playing partners
by more then 90 yards when all three were using drivers. I knew I was going
to be drafted soon, and we bought club house and grounds tickets. for five
days. It was the longest booze binge I have ever experienced.

Originally posted by whitecat:

I'll take a chance on Henrik Stenson as a hunch. There has been much
talk about the ball and equipment and increased distance.
Here are some numbers that might amaze you:

-Nicklaus in 1962 at the 15th at Augusta hit the 500 yard hole
with a 350 yard drive and an eight iron.
-In the long drive contest there Billy Joe Patton hit it 338.
-The amateur from WV whose name escapes me at the moment
hit it 329 in the long drive contest.

At the Open in 1959 at Winged Foot Nicklaus out hit his playing partners
by more then 90 yards when all three were using drivers. I knew I was going
to be drafted soon, and we bought club house and grounds tickets. for five
days. It was the longest booze binge I have ever experienced.
Mantle.gif

Like the Bradley, Reed pairing. Don't think the Mickelson/Rory pairing would be beneficial to either of them.

Wind stays down Thursday but picks up Friday, so someone in the final Thursday pairing prevails: Day, Garcia, Fowler.

Today was phenomenal. Somewhat unintentionally we were right in between tiger on the back 9 and Rory on the front 9 for a few holes. Got to see Jack, Gary Player, and Crenshaw on the par 3. Missed jack's hole in one but heard the roar build. Lindsay Vonn is hot in person and Wayne Gretsky was wandering around like a regular. Egg Salad was better than Pimento and Cheese, but both were $1.50. Beers were $4 (domestic) and $5 (import)... No idea what the import was though (sign just said "import")

Walked all 18 from 1-18, which is such a great way to do it. Place is as green in person as on TV. So pumped for tomorrow. Definitely a bucket list item I am glad I checked off

We need a much more detailed report. No Hooters play by play? No count of total beers consumed? No Paulina sightings?

Surprises me how many people are wearing pants when the weather is supposed to be 90. Big gut over belt is VERY common but this is definitely a more fit crowd than disneyworld. Not as fit as a saturday walking the streets of Boston, but better than expected. Talent is fairly pedestrian (kind of like the finance world - not many women here - so the 7s look like 10s).

Tom - had about 10 beers yesterday, but in this weather and being in the heat walking around is hardly anything. We didn't make it to hooters last night, went to a wings place that had live music across from my "hotel". No good degenerate stories as I was flying solo last night so made it back to my room by 9

Originally posted by NickleDimer:
Were the 10 beers consumed alone, also?

Future NovaNation content idea: send spg76ers to Augusta with a load of drugs like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Follow up: Did you drink 2 beers at once?

Tournament is reconfirming my dislike of Rory and Jim Furyk. Rory with the slamming of the clubs, also dropping the F-Bomb when missing a putt. Furyk for the slow play. Now I realize these guys are playing for a ton of cash and prestige but I would absolutely machine gun myself in the head if I had to play with Furyk. Terrible.

Originally posted by spg109876ers:
Man, Spieth is impressive.

Think I was last one to figure it out.
His third at 13 was outstanding.

His second at 14 was even better.
This post was edited on 4/9 5:06 PM by NorCalVU10

Only time will tell if he is another Hogan while playing against a much
superior field than Ben ever did. But in one Masters ben's playing partner.
hit 15 in two and made an eagle why he didn't go for the green in two, he responded
that he didn't need a three there.

I love Two Deck's comments about following the play from holes 1-18. It gives a
feel for the golf course and its flow. At my age, I play a number of senior scrambles
which starts most anywhere. I get no feeling for the holes without starting on hole #1.

Yesterday was an absolute blast. We ended up following JB Holmes, Brandt Snedeker, and Martin Kaymer a bunch on the front, then we circled back a bit to see a bunch of guys on 5 and 6 come through and then we followed Spieth on 7 and 8 and camped out on 8 and watched the last 5 groups come through. Tiger looked very relaxed on 8, but then had a horrible drive on 9 and he was super pissed after his second, but he held it together (largely)

As Spieth started getting hot, the crowd would buzz every time they changed his score so we picked him back up from 14-17 and then I had to sprint out of there to make my flight. Place was more crowded than I expected, but that place is run super efficiently - really know what they're doing. It's like Disney world for educated white men in their 40s through 60's. Only interesting non-golfer I ran into was Condoleeza Rice. Much shorter than I expected.

The guy who hosted me on Thursday goes every year and it was fun to watch with him as he knew every which way to get around the course efficiently, rather than Wednesday where we were constantly checking the map.

Mixed in the ham and cheese sandwhich and BBQ sandwich as well. While they don't get the publicity of the egg salad or pimento cheese - outstanding as well

Two Decks - what did you think of Amen corner?

im always amazed at how many people wear golf shoes to watch tournies. you walk like 10 miles why not wear sneakers?
do people wear baseball spikes to a baseball game?

Furyk is SO SLOW, id quit if i had to play with him.

Crenshaw shot 91 cause he is 70 years old. this is his last Masters.

Faldo said he played the course 4-5 times before the tourney for fun with Nantz, man those guys have it soooooo good. Nantz is a tool.

tom watson smooth 71 at 65. unreal.

I guess there are two reasons to wear golf shoes over sneakers

1) They're usually waterproof
2) You're walking up and down grass fields where the extra traction of "spikes" could be helpful. I definitely saw a few people take spills walking up wet hills yesterday

That being said, I don't wear golf shoes to tournaments. I actually wore low-top hiking shoes. Waterproof, supportive, and comfortable.

Amen corner is beautiful, you've seen it so many times on TV, looks just as good or better in person. We admittedly did not spend time there on Thursday (only Wednesday), but we spent a bunch of time there on wed

Love to see Bubba get a low score & be in the hunt. No fun if Speith runs away with it

13 is unreal. so vibrant and those bunkers behind the green are so big.

its a great place. horrible area of the country and then you have this golf course that is beyond description. very weird to be in a poor area of the south , then this golf course shows up out of no where.

same as pine valley i guess in clementon nj

Will this thing be over by 7p tonight?
Was really looking forward to the weekend coverage

Charley Hoffman and Jason Day staying within shooting distance, and I could see Justin Rose putting up a decent score today. Spieth just missed a short birdie put on 9 apparently

its not close to over. see greg norman in 1996. anything can happen.

with respect to Spieth this isnt tiger in 1997, the course wont allow anyone to go -18 again, too long. tiger used to hit 3 wood sand wedge to the par 5s on the back nine. Spieth cant do that with the longer holes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT