ADVERTISEMENT

MLB trade deadline thread

d.) Nattitude fans love to refer to their players on a first name basis. (Bryce, Gio, Yuni, clint, etc.). What an annoying habit

Duke fans are famous for this as well

Exactly. Stay and be miserable losing in Philly or come compete. We already know he wants out so what is his leverage? Only way he comes.

I actually agree with your first sentence. He's better than Storen, who will probably wilt again.

Stark reporting that Paplebon to Nats trade "likely" to happen. Teams still working out "hurdles".

ADP, would you welcome this?

Stark reporting that Paplebon to Nats trade "likely" to happen. Teams still working out "hurdles".

ADP, would you welcome this?
If he's coming in to accept his role. We need another arm. He was great when I was a Sox fan. Love papelbohner. The only downside for me is that if he blows a game you guys will have a field day. I'm actually serious. This is worst case for me. Only way this works is if he Nats win the series. From a baseball position, great move if he's willing to be part of the team. Rizzo probably got him cheap as well.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. It comes effortlessly.
I'm from Pittsburgh so this is an easy one. I'm trying to figure out KC because i like them better. I might have to buy a house in KC.

If he's coming in to accept his role. We need another arm. He was great when I was a Sox fan. Love papelbohner. The only downside for me is that if he blows a game you guys will have a field day. I'm actually serious. This is worst case for me. Only way this works is if he Nats win the series. From a baseball position, great move if he's willing to be part of the team. Rizzo probably got him cheap as well.
Closer or nothing. That's his view of his role.

Closer or nothing. That's his view of his role.
If he's actually said that to the Nats I don't like it. Storen is the good soldier so he'll accept that role. However, I have to believe that rubs many in the clubhouse the wrong way. I don't like the move if he doesn't issue some statement about the fact he's glad to come and will accept whatever role etc....If he's demanding things on his way out of Philly, Puck him

One, if Pap blows an important save I won't be part of that ribbing. If Pap sucked and they traded for him, then yes, ha ha....

But if the Nats grabbed Kimbrel or Chapman, would Storen be pissed? Would the clubhouse? JP is more experienced and just as effective as Storen. Give the elder statesman the 9th inning.

You sell him on Storen in 8th and JP in 9th is better than a genetic 7th/8th inning guy in 8th and Storen in 9th. On paper, it absolutely makes the Nats better.

If he's actually said that to the Nats I don't like it. Storen is the good soldier so he'll accept that role. However, I have to believe that rubs many in the clubhouse the wrong way. I don't like the move if he doesn't issue some statement about the fact he's glad to come and will accept whatever role etc....If he's demanding things on his way out of Philly, Puck him
He's said it publicly in general terms as a condition of any trade.

Sounds like JP deal to WAS is just about done. Phils getting a AA pitcher back. No name given yet. Nothing on money either.

The deal is done. Nats are honoring next year at lower rate. It won't be 13 million. Oh yea, he's the closer.

Phillies get back 22-year old, former 4th RD pick Nick Pivetta. BA ranked him as the Nats 10th best prospect on their midseason report. He's a RHP. So, we'll see if he ever develops down the line. I never expected anything flashy back.

What an awful move. Nats don't even need a closer and if they did, he'd be the last guy I'd bring in.

We got him for nothing but I hate the move. Can't wait until he blows a game. I'll be the guy screaming at him from behind the dugout. From a baseball perspective it turns a weakness into a strength. We now move Storen to the 8th inning. He'll be fine as he always is in that role. I don't like it but it's a good baseball move.

Last edited:
I like the move. Shortens the game for your starters. That bullpen stinks outside of Storen. They gave up nothing.

Looks like Yankees are the leaders for one of Chapman or Kimbrel. Kimbrel seems like he will come cheaper. That would be a hell of a bullpen if they stay healthy.

Drew Storen 6 playoff appearances, 8.44 ERA. The rest of the Nats pen is ordinary. You now have two competent guys for the 8th/9th innings, which is important come playoff time. Good deal in that regard. Paplebon's numbers aren't shitty and never have been. He wants to win and competes.

Nats will pay him 11 million next year (down from 13) with 3 million being deferred.

Reactions: kjbert
I like the move. Shortens the game for your starters. That bullpen stinks outside of Storen. They gave up nothing.

Looks like Yankees are the leaders for one of Chapman or Kimbrel. Kimbrel seems like he will come cheaper. That would be a hell of a bullpen if they stay healthy.

Yankees going KC style with this thought. They want that 3-man juggernaut for 7-8-9 innings of playoff baseball. Why? Because that rotation isn't good enough for playoffs. Very little experience and against good teams will struggle to get thru 5-6. There guy with most experience is a shot CC.

I'm surprised they aren't going after a proven starter. You know if GS sr. was still living they would.

Reactions: kjbert
Yankees going KC style with this thought. They want that 3-man juggernaut for 7-8-9 innings of playoff baseball. Why? Because that rotation isn't good enough for playoffs. Very little experience and against good teams will struggle to get thru 5-6. There guy with most experience is a shot CC.

I'm surprised they aren't going after a proven starter. You know if GS sr. was still living they would.

In fairness, the league is a lot different. Back then, teams like the Rays, A's, Royals and Pirates didn't lock up their young talent to long term deals by buying out arbitration years. Once that changed, the Yankees didn't adjust. Guys like Longoria, McCutcheon, Moustakus - they never got deals as young players. Now they do. Yankees can't steal guys for cash anymore because these guys are locked into team friendly long term deals.

Just saying that the Yankees rotation is probably good enough to win division, but not good enough to win WS. So, with that being the case GS sr. would probably have them going all in for a guy like Hamels to increase their chances. Then, worry about the money (Not really) and whatever prospects they gave up later.

Not true! Anything less than Harper coming back in that trade is an epic fail!

Trade seems to make sense for both parties. Phils get Paps off the books (for the most part) and out of the clubhouse for 2016 and take a flyer on a minor league pitcher, and the Nats get a guy that's been a damn good closer for the better part of a decade. Plus he's gotten it done in the playoffs many times.

Phillies should have gotten a better prospect

They swallowed the whole contract for next yr. That means you get nothing else in return. This is how baseball works these days. Nobody wants to pay 13M a season for a closer in today's game. So if they're gonna take you off the hook for that money they're not gonna give you a real player back.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Phils ate the $4.5 left on this year's contract. Papelbohn reduced next year's option from $13 to $11 million, which the Nats immediately picked up and will pay next season.

Anyone saying rube screwed this trade up is just trolling. That they got any prospect back is a win.

Phillies should have gotten a better prospect

Pretty clueless statement if you have any understanding of the dynamics in play here.

The kid they got doesn't sound too bad on paper. The Nats' 10th rated prospects and they have some good ones in front of him. Keith Law called him a, "solid starting pitching prospect, whose close to the majors, but not a ton of upside." Others have called him a 3-5 starter. Nothing wrong with this return. They were never going to get something juicy. Never.

Plus, I thought they have to eat more money than that. Now, there won't be 13 million for a closer on the books next year. Maybe, they use that on something else.

The thought of disagreeing with a Burrs opinion is not only wrong, it is so unfathomably foolish that it automatically is tagged as "trolling".

You can't honestly be an intelligent baseball fan and think they were going to get a great return on him. No way. You're not a dumb guy. So, yes. Trolling.

Unless you want to sign guys over 30, there aint gonna be much on the market...unless you think giving 150M to Justin Upton or Jason Heyward is a good idea, and it isnt.

I expect the Phillies to basically sit on their hands for at least a couple yrs, spending little to no $ until they can get the farm system percolating again.

Actually this is one of the more non homer posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT