ADVERTISEMENT

MLB trade deadline thread

In fairness, the league is a lot different. Back then, teams like the Rays, A's, Royals and Pirates didn't lock up their young talent to long term deals by buying out arbitration years. Once that changed, the Yankees didn't adjust. Guys like Longoria, McCutcheon, Moustakus - they never got deals as young players. Now they do. Yankees can't steal guys for cash anymore because these guys are locked into team friendly long term deals.
Please name the young players that the Yankees stole for cash in the past 25 years.

Clueless = STILL obsessevly following every losing Philly sports teams.

Dude, you don't have to like sports. No one is obsessed. You're miserable in every thread. See the soccer thread and your comments on Bradley. Someone likes soccer. Someone thinks Bradley is a good player. Here you come to talk about what has he won. I mean, every sports related thread you're nothing but a miserable prick.

Papelbon is Philadelphia's career saves leader with 123 and is 17 for 17 in save chances this season. Papelbon also is Boston's saves leader with 219.

Yawn, they got a good player(s).

Disagree with Burrs? You should stop liking your team. Or maybe even give up sports altogether.

I have nothing against people disagreeing with me. I do take issue with dumb statements. Understand the difference.

Make a statement to Burrs that is dumb in his opinion because he does not agree with it? You should stop liking your team. Or maybe even give up sports all together.

Yawn

Use the ignore feature and you won't have to read anything.

The interesting part of it is that you know it's dumb, but will now just argue about it for the sake of arguing.

I would be bitter too, if my teams lost that much & can't get out of dodge.

Not bitter at all. It's sports. I'm just amazed that someone so clueless like you actually takes time to comment on it. Ohh, that's roght. You're that guy. There's one every group. Does nothing but complain and rain on everything, all the time. Can't help yourself.

Go uncover another conspiracy, weirdo.

This is a level of aggressively bitter that we have not seen here before. Any post that doesn't fluff up a CoP franchise is met with an immediate bitter response.

You know what. You're right. The Phillies should of got the Nats to send Giolito, Cole, Turner, Ross, Ledde back. You guys are right. The Nats definitely would have done that for a 34-year old closer, due 13 million next year, coming from a team trying to turn the clubhouse over. Man, why didn't I think of this? It took a couple of guys who routinely say the opposite in every thread to show me the way. Thanks, fellas.

What would it have looked like if the Phillies could have gotten less for this all-star closer? A YAWN-level rookie ball reliever? Playoff tested All Star relievers with WHIP under 1 practically grow on a tree!

Looking forward to seeing Paps close out the Wild-Card play-in game and spray champagne at the subsequent wild card banner hanging ceremony.

What would it have looked like if the Phillies could have gotten less for this all-star closer? A YAWN-level rookie ball reliever? Playoff tested All Star relievers with WHIP under 1 practically grow on a tree!

Looking forward to seeing Paps close out the Wild-Card play-in game and spray champagne at the subsequent wild card banner hanging ceremony.

I know. I agreed with you now. Thanks for the enlightenment. Your knowledge is amazing.

Winning a playoff round, hang a banner and take take the rest of the post-season off. To the trade, we would have thtown in Desmond.

Reactions: kjbert
burrs, do you think they got a good deal? or was this strictly CAP SPACE?
The Phillies are EVEN FURTHER under the luxury tax level now!! Just think of all the stars they *might* be able to sign if they decide to try to win.

Note: be prepared to list all the players who they should sign or else renounce your team fandom, you unknowledgable scum.

burrs, do you think they got a good deal? or was this strictly CAP SPACE?

Considering all of the circumstances I think the deal was fair. Never expected something super back. Anyone thinking a top-of-the-organizational prospect was coming back is rather clueless. Really no other way to put it. I haven't read one baseball guy say the Phillies got short-changed here. Not one. But we can leave that to the dimwits on BWs. Moving the money next year was part of it, but just turning the page from Paplebon was equally as important. The contract was a mistake from the get-go. Too much for a closer. Teams just don't value them that much.

Considering all of the circumstances I think the deal was fair. Never expected something super back. Anyone thinking a top-of-the-organizational prospect was coming back is rather clueless. Really no other way to put it. I haven't read one baseball guy say the Phillies got short-changed here. Not one. But we can leave that to the dimwits on BWs. Moving the money next year was part of it, but just turning the page from Paplebon was equally as important. The contract was a mistake from the get-go. Too much for a closer. Teams just don't value them that much.
Fair assessment. I do remember everyone LOVING the trade on the board when it happened. Maybe just in the moment excitement.

NDs fandom consists of bitching about every thing. Even when it makes little sense to bitch, he still does it. Can't help himself. Then again, everyone has a role here.

The brightside: at least they didn't sign Madsen to a huge deal. Didn't he turn down $44M over 4 from the Phils, sign a one year deal with the Reds and promptly shredded his elbow? The Paps contract sucked, but in hindsight, it was better than paying $44M for Madsen to do nothing.

NDs fandom consists of bitching about every thing. Even when it makes little sense to bitch, he still does it. Can't help himself. Then again, everyone has a role here.
WCB87's fandom consists of valiantly defending every front office move that happens between Packer Ave and I-95. He would sooner die than have someone like a CoP sports move more than him.

The brightside: at least they didn't sign Madsen to a huge deal. Didn't he turn down $44M over 4 from the Phils, sign a one year deal with the Reds and promptly shredded his elbow? The Paps contract sucked, but in hindsight, it was better than paying $44M for Madsen to do nothing.
Madson is having a nice season with the Royals. Good to see him get back into baseball, I always liked him. I thought he would go on to be a good closer and be effective as he got older since his main out pitch was a changeup.

Fair assessment. I do remember everyone LOVING the trade on the board when it happened. Maybe just in the moment excitement.

Loving which trade? You mean when JP first became a Phillie? I believe he was a FA signing. Nearly every baseball writer questioned the money, which was astronomical considering his position. Personally, I don't really care about money in baseball. It's not mine. But RAJ pretty much was bidding against himself.

As far as his performance he was pretty good on a bad team. No complaints there. His teammates liked him, so I think locker room stuff is overstated by media guys who butted heads with him.

WCB87's fandom consists of valiantly defending every front office move that happens between Packer Ave and I-95. He would sooner die than have someone like a CoP sports move more than him.

I just said the Paplebon signing was a mistake from the get-go. Yea, he was good, but you don't need to pay a closer that much money, especially 4 years ago.

Again, you conveniently gloss over things when I do criticize.

Madson is having a nice season with the Royals. Good to see him get back into baseball, I always liked him. I thought he would go on to be a good closer and be effective as he got older since his main out pitch was a changeup.

You won't see two more devastating changeups come out of your farm system in back-to-back years than Madson/Hamels.

Interesting note: Hamels had 3 starts at AAA, allowed 10 hits in 23 IP, struck out 36, 1 walk, 1 run.

Don't be bitter, season is more than half way over.

& your teams are losing for glory down the road.

Loving which trade? You mean when JP first became a Phillie? I believe he was a FA signing. Nearly every baseball writer questioned the money, which was astronomical considering his position. Personally, I don't really care about money in baseball. It's not mine. But RAJ pretty much was bidding against himself.

As far as his performance he was pretty good on a bad team. No complaints there. His teammates liked him, so I think locker room stuff is overstated by media guys who butted heads with him.
Yes, I meant signing.

Can you blame him? Sure many of his teammates feel the same. He's a great guy and well liked by his teammates. This was too be anticipated. Unfortunately, papelbohnet represented the best player at the cheapest price in a position of need. We re trying to win it all not puss on our fans and play for another day.

Can you blame him? Sure many of his teammates feel the same. He's a great guy and well liked by his teammates. This was too be anticipated. Unfortunately, papelbohnet represented the best player at the cheapest price in a position of need. We re trying to win it all not puss on our fans and play for another day.
Yeah, who cares what he thinks. Winning is all that matters. It was a selfish move by him.

GM Rizzo welcomed this. That's where the blame lies if someone needs to be blamed.

I don't blame Storen for being upset. Second time it's happen to him, right?

Adding a closer to pair with Storen makes them a better team. That's what people should understand. Adding a fringe guy to pitch 7th or 8th, someone moderately better than what they already have, wouldn't have made them as good.,

This move may have serious repercussions. Clubhouse unrest in late July does not bode well for postseason success.

If I'm Drew Storen all I can say is WTF? What kind of message does this send?

Rizzoli was dammed eit her way, no move he gets killed, this move some don't like. At the end of the day his job is to put the best team out there. He got an elite closer for nothing. Storen is allowed to be pissed but he's a pro and will do his job. I don't like it because I like drew Storen and think it sucks. Good baseball move. You win and no one cares.

Rizzoli was dammed eit her way, no move he gets killed, this move some don't like. At the end of the day his job is to put the best team out there. He got an elite closer for nothing. Storen is allowed to be pissed but he's a pro and will do his job. I don't like it because I like drew Storen and think it sucks. Good baseball move. You win and no one cares.

There is a reason why most teams wanted no part of Papelbomb:
1) His outrageous contract
1A) He is a clubhouse cancer and an insufferable dickhead

Caveat emptor....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT