Anthony Malaguti LB 6-3 235 Hewitt, N.J. Don Bosco Prep
Jarrett McClenton RB/WR 5-9 170 Bensalem, Pa. Archbishop Wood
D'Andre Pollard RB 5-8 181 Bensalem, Pa. Neshaminy
Datrell Reed DE 6-3 225 Lakewood, N.J. Lakewood
Keegan Sheedy OL 6-5 270 Lancaster, Pa. Lancaster Catholic
Bryan White DT 6-2 285 West Chester, Pa. Henderson
Drew Wiley LB 6-2 225 Pennington, N.J. Hopewell Valley
Julian Williams DB 6-3 200 Airmont, N.Y. Hun School

That's a great question, I'm not sure how many of them they could actually red shirt but I would think as many as they could. most of them probably aren't physically ready to step up to this level yet.

It will be interesting. Agree many are not physically ready. Given that they lost 17 seniors or so. There are 69 returning lettermen (including walk-ons). 85 with freshman class to start.

Positions that you may think have "some" depth issues are RB, TE, NT.

That would mean Forbes & Pollard (assuming McClenton is slot) at RB, Bingelis TE, & White NT with best chances. Maybe an OL recruit if needed or ready.

People seem to think Chadbourne may see time as receiver/returner. Idk.

You would think that QB, LB, & S/DB are currently deep in talent and best chances of red shirts.

That would put Da Silva, Malaguti, Wiley, Williams & Davis redshirting along with 2 DEs Reed & Johnson unless they are special team stand outs. (Wiley's highlights had him blocking 2 punts for example)

This post was edited on 2/6 3:13 PM by Gangtackle11

Good discussion . Some thoughts If a player plays on special teams, he loses his redshirt. I like getting kids college career started on special teams. Always feel Cats use too many starters on special teams.
IMO McClenton plays ,a lot, as a slot back.

Uncle Ed, that's one way to look at it, here's another, Best players have to be on the field weather it be special teams or not if a kid isn't ready to play full time why waste a year of eligibility on a few plays a game? let that kid grow, mature, and learn the system it pays off in the long run.

nextgr good points.
Along with McClenton, Aaron Wells and Taurus Phillips will cover the slot. could even run the ball out of the backfield. Should be a spot for D'Andre Pollard, return guy ? Agree Cats are not deep at some spots. TE should see Bingelis play. NT Bryan White should play..
Aaron Forbes should see PT. I think Javon White will be a good RB. Matt Gudzak will help out but all three RB recruits will play. Juulian Williams at 6-3 might see time in the secondary .Brandon Chadbourn is labeled as a super athlete. Might also see time in the secondary. Big need at right tackle with the graduation of Vince Kowalski, a 4 year starter. Keegan Sheedy played RT in high school but will most likely redshirt. Maybe Ethan Greenidge could help. Most oline recruits need time to get bigger ,stronger and get their foot work better. Everything I hear about those two LB from Jersey , Malaguti & Wiley,leads me to think it might be hard to keep them off the field. QB Adeyemi Da Silva will most likely redshirt.
BTW Don BoscoPrep, Malaguti's school has a great program. One of Malaguti's teammates signed with national champs Ohio ST. Nova recruit Julian Williams started at Don Bosco before going to Hun School. My daughter's boy friend, a Nova senior as she is, ran track at Don Bosco.
Above are some of my thoughts about VU football. Time now to get pumped for a family trip to see our 7th ranked hoops team beat hated Georgetown.

I don't see TE as needy a position for the fall as was suggested. Morris was learning the offense last year, Ryan Bell is a bit of a beast according to team mates, and Doug Turrell may be returning, having filled in pretty well when Pettway went down. I don't see a freshman seeing much time there.

I did not realize Doug Turrell might return. With Morris, Bell and Turrell not much need for a true frosh.

Buberalles - Doug Turrell is NOT returning. That makes TE a needy position.

I just got done watching most of their HUDL highlights, I can say without a doubt we have a talented recruiting class however it's hard to tell by the competition they are playing, that being said all things considered there were a few that stood out in my mind, tell me what you guys think and what players stood out to you.

Bingelis at TE will have to add some weight to play TE this upcoming season.

Players that stand out to me are:

1. McClenton - without a doubt has electrifying speed. He's small in statue and may be a situational player to start.
2. Forbes - he will haul the rock a lot by the time he leaves the main line
3. Wiley - big enough & fast for LB. He looks like Cherry more to me than Malaguti. I think his upside is big.
4. Malaguti - plays like Dylan Lucas. Strong & sure tackler. Has played at highest HS level. He's ready to step in more than Wiley probably.
5. Reed - DE who has overcome a lot to get here. He looks to be a punishing tackler.

I really love all the film. I think it's going to turnout to be a solid class.

This post was edited on 2/8 3:43 PM by Gangtackle11

Pollard might see the field this season. He and Forbes are going be a pair of RBs similar to Medley and Monangai
In order to save time and space I refer to my above post.

Gangtackel - looking at TE a position I think is weak. You mention Bingelis needs to gain weight. I agree 100%. Yet the listed size for walk-on TE Ryan Bell was 6-3 215 I'll go with 225 for this season, Bingelis is listed at 6-5 220
Granted Bell is labeled an animal by his team mates he is still undersized, TE scares me.
You mention Datrell Reed as a guy who might see the field at D end. With D end being a deep position maybe the coaches will groom Reed as a TE a position he played a bit. BTW W&M wanted Reed. Good get Cats.
This post was edited on 2/8 4:00 PM by UncleEd

Buberalles good news. I was told by a VU football insider that he was not coming back. I guess we really don't know yet. Here's hoping.

On paper this class looks very good. After last year's kicking debacle though I'm disappointed Andy didn't save a schollie for a kicker...especially with Gough graduating.

Was under the impression when I looked at the recruiting haul in the Inquirer 2 weeks ago that Cats were bring in the All-Catholic League K. What changed?

That kicker was Steve Weyler from Cardinal O'Hara who gave a solid verbal. Did the little SOB renege & sign elsewhere? WHERE?! I hope he SUX. We can't fault Andy for that ... (sigh)

Steve Weyler is from the Recruiting class of 2014. He was the Freshman kicker last year. Supposedly he's good, He did come in a little shaky, but considering that he was thrust up front early and didn't have a learning curve, I'll cut him some slack.

Romeocat there was some talk about a preferred walk-on kicker from Garden City ,NY. I have not heard a word recently. As pointed out on another thread our assistant coaches had some possible prefered walk-ons at the Georgetown game. Great win for our hoops guys.
The current freshman from Cardinal OHara was a 4 year All Catholic. Could be he was rushed into being THE kicker for Cats last season. Maybe he will be better next season. Let's hope.

So ... the K cupboard was never bare; I thought Gough was all we really had & some other kid who did attempt a few. Sounds like Weyler was indeed thrust into a stressful role on a top team. Happens. Hopefully, he'll take this off-season to rejuvenate his confidence after getting into a real training program unlike what he had at O'Hara. If more K's are brought in, cool, completion within a program is all good ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT