ADVERTISEMENT

2016-2017 76ers

Gabe York will show you that isnt the case this season.

Gabe York was a one trick pony for that team last year. He made 3's. Pretty much their only consistent threat from there a year ago. McConnel meant so much more. If you didn't notice this then you didn't watch enough of them. He was the heart and soul of that team on most night. But no big deal....

BS. That's like saying Arch was Nova's heart and soul. It sounds cute but it's not true. Take McConnell off that team and they had other guys who could've easily shouldered a larger offensive load.

BS. That's like saying Arch was Nova's heart and soul. It sounds cute but it's not true. Take McConnell off that team and they had other guys who could've easily shouldered a larger offensive load.

I disagree. You didn't watch them enough and if you did the you don't understand the game as well as you think you do.

But we agree, 27 mpg at this level is insane. Injuries or not.

Reactions: cleanwave
McConnell was decent at 'zona but looked better than he was, put up better numbers because he didn't warrant much attention with all the outsized (for college) weapons they had, he got to shoot open jumpers and operate with a lot of space. Arizona didn't have enough ballhandling guards last year, and they must have seen that coming a couple years prior, hence trolling the dregs of the A-10 for transfers Miller tracked back home in Pittsburgh.

The fact that he is getting run with the Sixers must pi$$ off lots of 4 year college guys that respectable teams in the league didn't want who never even got to have that sort of a walk-on opportunity. ARay definitely benefitted from a similar situation, no way he plays near the minutes he did in the NBA if it weren't for the Celtics' tanking effort that year.

I disagree. You didn't watch them enough and if you did the you don't understand the game as well as you think you do.

But we agree, 27 mpg at this level is insane. Injuries or not.

I watched them plenty. Always thought their other guys could've done more and should've done more and he shot the ball too damn much.

I watched them plenty. Always thought their other guys could've done more and should've done more and he shot the ball too damn much.

Maybe so, but Ashley and Tarzcewski were often enigmas. Jefferson was a nuts and bolts guy, who didn't really look for offense. Stanley Johnson was a freshman, albeit talented, but he too often disappeared. I thought McConnell provided the necessary leadership and kept that team together on most nights.

But we can move on. I see all over the Twitter-verse people clamoring for for McConnell to start over Canaan. Saying the numbers are much better with him on the floor. This might be true, but the problem is that the combo of McConnell/Canaan have to play waaaayyyyy too much right now. Canaan can make threes, but it ends there. He's a 10th-11th man, who can get you three quick triples on some nights. That's it.

The fact that people are taking to Twitter to ask for MORE McConnell minutes speaks to the current backcourt situation. They are hopeless to win games with these guards. Completely hopeless. But isn't the point?

As an aside, the Lakers are one of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen. These guys don't even attempt to guard.

McConnell was very good for Zona. Did you guys actually watch any of their games? 27 MPG at the NBA level is crazy. I'm as big an Arch guy as you'll find and not sure he's as good as McConnell was last year. McConnell is more athletic and better scorer. Arch is a better leader and probably the guy I want to go to war with as he's a winner. However, McConnell was a darn good player. Greatly underestimated here.

The fact that people are taking to Twitter to ask for MORE McConnell minutes speaks to the current backcourt situation. They are hopeless to win games with these guards. Completely hopeless. But isn't the point?

As an aside, the Lakers are one of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen. These guys don't even attempt to guard.

I'm actually worried about the Lakers losing TOO much! Gotta hope the balls fall right and they get the 4th pick in this draft.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Kobe looks just horrendous. I always enjoyed rooting against him in the playoffs and such, but this is just sad - even for a rapist.

Byron Scott is the wrong coach for any NBA team, but even moreso for the Lakers.

McConnell was a fine college player, and I agree with adp that what he brings translates better to the NBA than Arch, mostly because he's quicker and a better defender. But that said, if the Sixers weren't embarking on Tank Pt. 3 he would not be playing in the NBA right now.

DeAngelo Russell looks like the LA life has already gone to his head. Playing with no effort. The kinda thing you see from an NBA vet who coasts because he's already done it and is trying to pace his body for the season. Isiah Thomas and Steve Smith are already questioning whether he has the temperament to play in LA.

McConnell was a fine college player, and I agree with adp that what he brings translates better to the NBA than Arch, mostly because he's quicker and a better defender. But that said, if the Sixers weren't embarking on Tank Pt. 3 he would not be playing in the NBA right now.
I agree.

Lakers have enough offensive talent to outscore enough teams who won't be interested in playing some nights. Doubt they finish in the bottom 3. 5-6-7 sounds about right. You just know they'll end getting the 3rd pick tho.

Is this the longest Philly (w/ 4 sports) has ever gone without a playoff appearance? It's been 19 months since the Flyers lost to the Rangers in Round 1. That's incredible.

Lakers have enough offensive talent to outscore enough teams who won't be interested in playing some nights. Doubt they finish in the bottom 3. 5-6-7 sounds about right. You just know they'll end getting the 3rd pick tho.

Maybe so, and it's way early to really forecast this, but I'm not sure I can pinpoint a WC team that they are definitely better than. Can you? With 100% certainly? And other than the Sixers right now, then I'm not sure there are too many EC teams worse either.

Watching a little Sixers/ Bucks.

Guess Philly could win one..

Got to say, I like the way TJ feeds Oak down low

Predictably the Sixers die in crunch time when the Bucks start playing D and valuing possessions.

Another good game for Okafor. Another night of wretched viewing of the Sixers wing players.

Predictably the Sixers die in crunch time when the Bucks start playing D and valuing possessions.

Another good game for Okafor. Another night of wretched viewing of the Sixers wing players.

The game slipped away when I dare say McConnell went to bench and Canaan entered.

Not for nothing but in last two games McConnell is 6-8 from field, 16 rebounds, 24 assists, and ONE turnover. I give the kid credit for making the most of his opportunity. He's playing his heart out.

Stauskas didn't shoot it well, but he showed some stuff tonight. He needs to get his legs under him with having no preseason.

Just release Canaan. Phil Pressey is better. Canaan sucks.

He will be a poor defender at every position. And if that's the case you better be an ace at something at the other end. He isn't.

He will be a poor defender at every position. And if that's the case you better be an ace at something at the other end. He isn't.

No one is talking perennial All-Star here. I'm thinking more on the lines of contributor. I'm just writing him off after three games, coming off an injury, and not having a preseason.

Premature assessment. Is it ok to give him more than three games?
He also sucked in Sacamento which is why the Sixers got him for nothing. I recall mentioning this when you violated your keyboard after the trade.

Sacramento literally gave him away after one season. It's not the Kings were flooded with talent.

The win in that trade for the Sixers was the right to swap #1 picks in the next 2 yrs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT