ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Phillies Season

I'd be happy with 72-74 wins considering the circumstances. I think they will be much better in the first 6 innings of games assuming no significant injuries to starters. The line-up will struggle to score runs consistently, but should be promising at times. They'll probably bring up prospects later in the year. Nick Williams slammed a 2B and HR in the future's game at CBP on Saturday.

The bullpen scares me and has dumpster fire potential. Last year, the starters pretty much sucked and the pen was good when they actually had leads later in games. It might be opposite this year. I'll be tracking how many games they blow from the 7th inning on. Hopefully, it's been than I forecast.

I zero doubt that the Phillies won't be in contention for the playoffs by 2018. They are going to have the ideal blend of young players under control and the ability to spend on the FA market as they please.

You know Burrs, don't bank on THAT many guys getting called up. I can see Williams and Crawford and that's it. Not a ton of reason to push guys through, especially for future payroll purposes. However, I can see Williams and Crawford starting next season and guys like Alfaro and Randolph get the call next July.

I will be happy if they get to 75 wins, and not buried by June 1st, like last year.

The reds are -160 today trotting a guy out there today that I've never heard of. The Phillies are that bad.

In a perfect world, we'd see Nick Williams, Crawford and Quinn this year. And let guys like Sweeney and Knapp sink or swim in the majors. But i guess you need to keep those TEAM CONTROL years in the bank.

As for Nick Williams and Crawford, I don't know if I can wait til midseason to watch this team's offense. You can basically change the channel when anyone besides Franco steps up to the dish.

As for Nick Williams and Crawford, I don't know if I can wait til midseason to watch this team's offense. You can basically change the channel when anyone besides Franco steps up to the dish.
They will be content to trot out a lineup of punch and judy hitters like Hernandez, Galvis, Oddubel and Bourjos. It's not openly tanking, but it's not trying to be competitive.

They will be content to trot out a lineup of punch and judy hitters like Hernandez, Galvis, Oddubel and Bourjos. It's not openly tanking, but it's not trying to be competitive.

Hernandez can be a serviceable player on a good team. Herrera hits the ball hard. If he stays healthy I think he can hit close to .300, 35 doubles and double-digit triples. I think his HRs will increase, too. Galvis/Bourjos would be good defensive players as the last infielder/outfielder on a 25-man rotation.

Herrera is the 2nd best hitter on this team. That's how bad the lineup is. He should be a 6th or 7th guy, not the 2nd guy.

Herrera is the 2nd best hitter on this team. That's how bad the lineup is. He should be a 6th or 7th guy, not the 2nd guy.

Today's line-up:
Hernandez
Herrera
Franco
Howard
Ruiz
Hunter
Bourjous
Galvis

Maybe, three of these guys are opening day starters next year.

That's the difference. The 76ers lineup - mostly non-NBA players. The Phillies aren't horrific (other than Howard), they're just a bunch of 7 or 8 hole hitters. They're okay, you need some of them, they contribute. But you can't have an entire lineup of them.

Lineup today:

Hernandez 2B
Herrera CF
Franco 3B
Howard 1B
Ruiz C
Hunter LF
Bourjos RF
Galvis SS
Helickson P

In the least surprising news of the century...Phils strand a leadoff double.

Death and taxes.

If the Phillies don't end up last in the league in total offense I will be floored.

And the first run of the season scored on a Howard error.

Death and taxes.

Manager said he would start him on opening day and home opener "out of respect for Ryan".

Same for Ruiz.

Howard needs to catch the ball, but boy do I miss Rollins tossing chest-high throws over to first 99% of the time.

Are we going to hear this all year? I know you like to run with thoughts.

I don't think it needs to be said all year. But on opening day it's probably an apropos precursor.

I don't think it needs to be said all year. But on opening day it's probably an apropos precursor.

Yea, I get it. Maybe, they'll surprise and perform a little better. Still think the pen causes more indigestion this year.

Last edited:
Day of the biggest Nova game in 31 years and these CoP knuckle heads are dissecting opening day of a 75 win team.

Stay gold, CoP.

Day of the biggest Nova game in 31 years and these CoP knuckle heads are dissecting opening day of a 75 win team.

Stay gold, CoP.

When the game doesn't start to 9:17 you can only brightside so much. My tank is empty and I'm out of ice.

Reactions: NickleDimer

Stay gold, CoP.

A diversion is needed for a bit to keep from going stir crazy. It's tactical.

Yea, I get it. It's opening day. Not sure why Hellickson had to come out after 6 innings and 73 pitches. He dominated the entire line-up outside of Cosart.

Nothing worse than a lead off walk in a 2-1 game.

Stay gold, CoP.

I just realized a couple hours ago that the Phillies had played a game already when it was mentioned in a 'Nova game article, and just checked the score now. Was not possible to pay attention to any other sports goings-on, aside from randomly hearing AI and basketball HOF selections on in hotel Monday morning. Seemed fitting to hear from AI.

I've already tossed in the towel on watching. I'll track the first 6 innings of games and ignore the last 3. When Williams and Crawford come up I'll watch more closely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT