ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Phillies Season

You're bitter that the Nats run this division now.

Not sure about that. Not bailing on Mets' yet. Plus, I've had enough of them crapping the bed to last the next decade+. God, has any other team come up smaller over the last 4-5 years?

How bout the Phils?! 3rd in the NL in WHIP and 5th in ERA. Bullpen has been awesome in the past handful. Let's get back to .500 today... Who's on board???? (Phils lead 1-0 in 5th)

Another bomb by Howard today. Currently the difference in a 1-0 game only support for Velasquez. Feel-good story so far. Nice to see as he handles his situation with class. Odds of an AL club providing at least a warm six pack and salary relief in a couple months going up.

Velazquez seems legit, nice start to his season. Phillies pitching has been great - but they have faced the Reds and Padres. Padres were 1 out away last night of being shutout 5 times in first 9 games......

Thanks Stros.

Only two games, but the kid looks like he has electric stuff. Encouraging.

2 GMs, 15 IP, 6 H, 0 Runs, 3 BB, 25 K's.

Phillies pitching has only allowed runs in 5 of last 57 innings.

Velazquez comes with a big pedigree. This isn't a kid coming from nowhere. He was the centerpiece of the Houston deal by a mile.

not so fast... Braves are in this too. Saw them last night and their lineup may be worse than Phils (maybe not padres). Bad.

Velazquez comes with a big pedigree. This isn't a kid coming from nowhere. He was the centerpiece of the Houston deal by a mile.
Disagree... Him and Appel were both equally valued. Appel probably more so given that he's a #1 pick, though he has struggled a bit.

The Phils rotation will keep games watchable all year. Might even get them 70+ wins. Which is all you can ask after the likes of Adam Morgan/Jerome Williams/Sean Osullivan etc. taking the hill every other day.

Disagree... Him and Appel were both equally valued. Appel probably more so given that he's a #1 pick, though he has struggled a bit.

Appel has been less than mediocre through the minors. VV handled the minors and showed last year he could get out big league hitters. Really no comparison.

Appel has been less than mediocre through the minors. VV handled the minors and showed last year he could get out big league hitters. Really no comparison.
VV wasnt all that great last year and only throws 2 pitches. Wasnt even a sure thing that he'd be a starter or a backend bullpen guy. Appel is still a top 50 prospect and has 4 pitches, he'll figure it out. Sure there's no comparison now after his last two starts but hindsight is 20/20.

Appel has all the tools. He just has no idea where the ball is going when he throws it. He was drafted 1 because of all the tools. He hasn't harnessed any of it yet.

Velasquez needs to start throwing more than just fastball/curveball or he'll be figured out quickly. He is off to a great start but I could see him possibly as a late inning guy at some point in future.

Eickhoff is the guy I think ends up being the ace of this staff in future. And how can you not gush over Nola? 17 K and 0 BB for a guy who tops out at 94 is damn impressive. I enjoy watching him pitch, he has really good stuff and keeps hitters off balance.

I am brightisiding over a potential rotation of:

Eickhoff
Groome
Nola
Appel
Thompson

Velasquez can definitely fit in there somewhere also.

The Phils rotation will keep games watchable all year. Might even get them 70+ wins. Which is all you can ask after the likes of Adam Morgan/Jerome Williams/Sean Osullivan etc. taking the hill every other day.

Morgan actually wasn't that bad. Threw well in spring and I think had a solid outing in first triple-A game this year. However, you left out Aaron Harang/Kevin Coriera//Buchanan trio. Let's not forget Dustin McGowan either.

i thought that getting rid of Giles was a big mistake. Velasquez has come out of nowhere to prove me wrong.
Three decent young pitchers with Thompson coming up later in the year can make following the Phillies fun again.

VV was the centerpiece to the Giles deal. I don't understand why people think he "came out of nowhere". He was stuck behind a STACKED rotation in Houston. Appel was a throw in to the deal. He wasn't even expected to be part of the original package.

Fun fact.

Ken Giles has allowed as many HRs in 3 innings this year as he did for the Phillies...in 2 years.

3-3.

What an awful phanbase (see what I did there?). Sitting with Gov Christie at game tonight and feels like I'm at Citi field. All mets fans. Half full stadium of the opposing team. Nice phans.

And of course the obligatory E-A-G-L-E-S chants breaks out midway through. God you CoPers suck so bad.

Another sterling starting pitching performance wasted. 11 of the 14 games. 2 runs or less by starter.

6 wins to show for it. 8 losses.

Meanwhile, who was running that TOR organization when they traded that Viking? What the f*ck was that dude thinking? For RA "I was a journeyman before stepping in shit and winning a CY Young" Dickey. Plus, giving them D'naurd. Hahaha. What an idiot.

Meanwhile, who was running that TOR organization when they traded that Viking? What the f*ck was that dude thinking? For RA "I was a journeyman before stepping in shit and winning a CY Young" Dickey. Plus, giving them D'naurd. Hahaha. What an idiot.

Literally one of the worst trades in baseball history. Syndergaard was a guy with a massive pedigree. Dickey was like 60 yrs old and had maybe a year left.

The guy who was voted the 2015 baseball exec of the year and was wooed away from TOR by the Dodgers. He's had some good acquisitions (Bautista, Donaldson) but also some epic whiffs- Dickey, Reyes/Buerhle/JoshJohnson, Halladay for a bag of d*cks, etc.

Kudos to the Mets for seeing the polish would rub off the turd and striking while the iron is hot.

Still such a joke that Dickey won the Cy Young over Kershaw. Nothing but pity votes for the well timed PR campaign by Dickey and the Mets with his book.

6-8 after 14 is probably exceeding expectations.

They're only 6-8 because the starters have been pitching out of their skulls. When the stop pitching out of their skulls they won't win many games. Or any.

Mets sitting on Velasquez curve and hammering it. His fastball is looking ok tonight, just needs to work adding more to his repertoire.

Mets sitting on Velasquez curve and hammering it. His fastball is looking ok tonight, just needs to work adding more to his repertoire.

Two horrible 0-2 pitches, but young pitchers will do that. Needs to bury those pitches. Of course, the Galvis/Howard error (Yes, I do miss Jimmy Rollins' 99% perfect throw to first base rate) didn't help. All of those runs were unearned.

I can't watch this team. I can't watch this offense. It is the worst I've seen in Phillies history. Ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT