ADVERTISEMENT

76ers off season discussion thread

If it's over then we can all agree it was a failure. It's a first, no longer too soon to tell. Bookmark this moment in history.

If it's over then we can all agree it was a failure. It's a first, no longer too soon to tell. Bookmark this moment in history.

What he left is still in play, so we'll see how the new guys proceed with this. However, I think it's safe to say that there are new ideas in place at this time.

So it's over but not too soon to tell? Hedge much?

So it's over but not too soon to tell? Hedge much?

Hinkie is no longer here. That part is over. What is so hard to understand? But the plethora of picks now and in the future, no poor contracts, tons of CAP space, and the possibility of two players who haven't played yet is still in play. I'm pretty sure he had something to do with that part of it. So, call it whatever you want. All I care about is the team getting good and I don't care who does it.

One way or another Hinkie is on edge today. He's probably readying a huge F--- You manifesto to release immediately in the event that they get the No. 1 pick. And should they drop to 3 or so and not get the Lakers pick near the top of the lottery... hopefully his family has taken away his shoelaces.

One way or another Hinkie is on edge today. He's probably readying a huge F--- You manifesto to release immediately in the event that they get the No. 1 pick. And should they drop to 3 or so and not get the Lakers pick near the top of the lottery... hopefully his family has taken away his shoelaces.
If that manifesto is like his incoherent 11 page retirement email, he should just keep it to himself.

Anytime you work at something for four years and have a 25% chance at being "successful", you can be real proud of what you've accomplished.

And even if you are successful you can draft a guy who couldn't even get his team to the tourney in the watered down ncaa. Sure thing right?

I love how college success is a talking point for contrarians in discussing NBA potential. So if Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey don't leave LSU early and they make the tourney this then means more for Ben Simmons' NBA prospects? How bout had he gone to a Kentucky or Kansas instead like most other elite prospects do? He'd have easily made the tourney! He must be a winner then! How many sure fire #1 overall picks before their senior year - go to completely rebuilding programs like LSU who have an awful head coach?

Simmons played on a terrible team. With a terrible coach. And was entirely too unselfish. He was also triple teamed on the regular. The open floor nature of the NBA and not having to face a zone defense will be the greatest thing to ever happen to that kid. Him and Kris Dunn. Also his unselfish nature will play well in the league - where your teammates can actually make shots and appreciate your willingness to pass.

Reactions: NickleDimer
And even if you are successful you can draft a guy who couldn't even get his team to the tourney in the watered down ncaa. Sure thing right?

There is rarely ever a sure thing. Don't we all get that by now? Is it worth bringing up every single time.

And your didn't get his team to the tourney is flawed, as Gdog breaks down above.

Seriously the college success thing is so damn stupid. Okafor won a title as a frosh and ADP thinks he sucks. Okafor got to play with actual NBA players. Think that helped in college?

How many years did Paul George play in college? Did he ever make a tournament? How'd he turn out? Kevin Durant is a top 5 player in the league and played with NBA players in college. He won, what, one NCAA game in 2 years? And got his sh*t pushed in by Reggie Redding and Dante Cunningham. Who f'n cares.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Okafor was also the guy in the title game who did little. Duke was better when they small with Winslow amd Jefferson. Okafor sucks. He doesn't rim protect, rebound, play d or space the floor. He's great if we were playing 29 years ago. He gets 18 inefficient points and gives up 30.

Seriously the college success thing is so damn stupid. Okafor won a title as a frosh and ADP thinks he sucks. Okafor got to play with actual NBA players. Think that helped in college?

How many years did Paul George play in college? Did he ever make a tournament? How'd he turn out? Kevin Durant is a top 5 player in the league and played with NBA players in college. He won, what, one NCAA game in 2 years? And got his sh*t pushed in by Reggie Redding and Dante Cunningham. Who f'n cares.

The only thing that bothers me about Simmons is that he went to LSU in the first place, rather than a good hoops school. He basically chose -- or took a substantial risk -- of having no success and not playing on a solid team. But I give him a pass, easy for a kid that age to believe he can make it work until he's there. Regardless, still no-brainer at No. 1.

Durant only played one year in college.

Agree, gdog clearly knows his stuff. Anyone see the warrior game last night?

The only thing that bothers me about Simmons is that he went to LSU in the first place, rather than a good hoops school. He basically chose -- or took a substantial risk -- of having no success and not playing on a solid team. But I give him a pass, easy for a kid that age to believe he can make it work until he's there. Regardless, still no-brainer at No. 1.

Simmons chose to play at LSU, where his godfather was an assistant coach. Major red flag!

Reactions: tomjackleman

He went there because of the coaching connection. If it didn't exist he wouldn't have went there. It's the only reason he chose LSU. The LSU HC is awful, too.

Agree, gdog clearly knows his stuff. Anyone see the warrior game last night?

YES, OKC played well and fought all night, even when down 14 in the 3rd QT. Beating the Spurs has them super confident right now. GS's mojo appears to be slightly off, but I think they can get it back.

Westbrook was incredible in the 3rd QT.

Simmons' NBA floor is Lamar Odom. That's worst case. That's if he doesn't sew up that jump shot. But you can't teach 6'10 and can play PG and defend forwards. Guys with his versatility at his size are not normal. He will be able to run a team or post up out of the high post or elbow extended. Very good passer. Open court gazelle. His game translates. Even without a jumper currently.

All this said - someone at 1 may prefer Ingram more as he will be a sniper and get his shot off whenever he wants. Depends on the team.

A lot of people are beginning to talk up Ingram these days. If I had to guess I'd say 20 of 30 teams would go Simmons if given the choice, but I'm not sure NBA guys think it's 100% clear cut that he's #1.

Simmons' NBA floor is Lamar Odom. That's worst case.
So worst case is he tries to kill himself?

ee6a1e85b83e0d61e9594741099ccb7d_400x400.jpeg

I am surprised at the Ingram talk. Give me simmons all day. IMO, his ceiling is higher and you can play him at point forward. If we get number you have to laugh.

I am surprised at the Ingram talk. Give me simmons all day. IMO, his ceiling is higher and you can play him at point forward. If we get number you have to laugh.

I'd prefer Simmons, too. I do think Ingram is intriguing, tho. He is really young and based on his age could be a HS senior.

Simmons chose to play at LSU, where his godfather was an assistant coach. Major red flag!

So if his godfather was an assistant at Quinnipiac would have made sense to go there? Where do you draw the line in terms of crappy programs and head coaching situations for the No. 1 overall player out of HS? (And I know Shaq went there but it was a better program then.)

Like I said, he's a no-brainer No. 1 overall in my book, would not hesitate to take him over Ingram, so not an Embiid breaking my foot while practicing for the draft level flag, but I'd put it on the wrong side of the ledger.

Ok. Then since he was obviously 1 and done, I'll throw the flag for him not going to any of Kentucky, Duke or UNC. But all is forgiven, glad he didn't do it as it could've impacted 'Nova NC history, look forward to him being a Sixer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT