ADVERTISEMENT

76ers off season discussion thread

Lillard didnt even make the All Star game this year. Thats one of the biggest jokes ever.

I'm not convinced Selden was left open by design. Not initially anyway. Maybe after he missed a few, yes. He was getting some open shots because Kansas was making the extra pass after beating the traps and the helping of the helper were on occasion out of position. Against a team like that you cant be everywhere at all times. Tho to Kansas it probably felt like Nova was everywhere.

I'm watching the toronto v Miami games

I like that the intensity is heating up.

Couple of note. Foul calling in the nba is much worse than ever. D-wade misses a shot, as soon as the ball comes off the rim the whistle blows and he goes to the line. Why even fake playing defense?

Also, that short shot clock sucks. Team moves the ball around and gets a chance, but if that look isn't there, they kick it out but can never run a new play and somebody jacks a three. I understand people who only watch nba while channel flipping (like burrsies) like that style, but I certainly don't.

The Toronto - Miami series has devolved into a horrific series with the injuries to the bigs. Miami REALLY misses Whiteside's shotblocking and post presence at both ends. Toronto also misses Valancunias but not nearly as much because they still have a competent big in Biyombo to defend, rebound and occasionally score. Miami may win Game 6 but I'll be really surprised if they're able to go into Toronto and win Game 7 with this frontcourt. And thats even with Lowry chucking up bricks and DeRozan doing nothing. To make matters worse for Miami, Deng is now also hurt.

What's so funny? Are you still comparing Jrue Holiday (Who I was a fan of) to Lilliard?
They were both nice players. Both teams flamed out in the playoffs once they faced a real team. They couldn't even take more than a game with Curry out/hobbled. I've been team Rip City all along, but lets be serious here.

They were both nice players. Both teams flamed out in the playoffs once they faced a real team. They couldn't even take more than a game with Curry out/hobbled. I've been team Rip City all along, but lets be serious here.

Yea, they couldn't take more than one game from the team that had the best RS in NBA history. Start the indictment.

And no one is calling them great, but my point stands this POR team is in amuck better spot to build off of this encouraging season than that Sizers team was. I'm sorry if you can't recognize it.

They were both nice players? What does that mean? Holiday was a nice player and still can be if he can ever stay healthy. Lilliard is a star. Not sure how you don't see this.

What's an amuck better spot? Is that still a bad spot, but not as bad?

And the Blazers were going to lose to the Clippers in the first round if not for injures to their two stars? Right?

Yea, they couldn't take more than one game from the team that had the best RS in NBA history. Start the indictment.

And no one is calling them great, but my point stands this POR team is in amuck better spot to build off of this encouraging season than that Sizers team was. I'm sorry if you can't recognize it.

They were both nice players? What does that mean? Holiday was a nice player and still can be if he can ever stay healthy. Lilliard is a star. Not sure how you don't see this.

What's an amuck better spot? Is that still a bad spot, but not as bad?

And the Blazers were going to lose to the Clippers in the first round if not for injures to their two stars? Right?

Cmon, I'm on a phone. Don't be that guy.

Yes, I think a healthy Clippers' team wins that series.

None of that matters because my original point was that young teams, teams not at their ceiling making the playoffs can be beneficial. It was a comment towards one of the non-funny guys on here that said, I don't think a team that can't win it all should make the playoffs. That is inaccurate. It's not what I believe, at all.

I believe that it's good for a team like POR to make the playoffs. They're young, they have a star, and potentially will be able to add to their roster. Lilliard is the type of player that in theory can attract another star. Will it happen? I don't know.

Furthermore, I never said that Sixers team shouldn't make the playoffs. It was a fun year. But they didn't have a star and they didn't have as much cap flexibility. Continuing....They didn't blow that team up the next year. They traded Igoudala and brought in a 20-10 AS center. They thought they were improving the team. Not blowing it up. Bynum got hurt and it blew up in their faces. All of those great young players went 34-48.

Will someone other than me please tell this guy that Holiday and Lilliard aren't the same caliber player. Really, it's not close.

I'm on my phone too. I literally have no idea what you meant. Amuck fit sort of, that's why I asked.

The rest of that post is too long to read. If it's not "I was wrong" I'm not going to continue to let you troll me. I'll just let it die.

I'm on my phone too. I literally have no idea what you meant. Amuck fit sort of, that's why I asked.

The rest of that post is too long to read. If it's not "I was wrong" I'm not going to continue to let you troll me. I'll just let it die.

"A much better spot".....Don't be a dick. We have enough of them on here.

Troll you? Is that what you call insinuating that Holiday/Lilliard are/were comparable? Ok.

And you're wrong and have been since the conversation started, but it's cool.

"A much better spot".....Don't be a dick. We have enough of them on here.

Troll you? Is that what you call insinuating that Holiday/Lilliard are/were comparable? Ok.

And you're wrong and have been since the conversation started, but it's cool.

I gotcha, see the angle you're working here (wink).

Lillard is the kind of player a free agent will come to play with. Hit one of the best playoff buzzer beaters in recent memory and has a following from young people.

Holiday is not that guy and never was - regardless of statistical or accolade comparisons. Lillard has more "gravity"

Lillard is the kind of player a free agent will come to play with. Hit one of the best playoff buzzer beaters in recent memory and has a following from young people.

Holiday is not that guy and never was - regardless of statistical or accolade comparisons. Lillard has more "gravity"

Why did the best free agent last year choose less money over staying with Lillard?

Just gonna re-cue this up as I'm going to get drunk:

What impact free agents are going to go to Portland?

Durant? No
Lebron? No
Drummond? Maybe? is this your best bet?
Horford? Maybe?
Derozan? No
Pau? No point
Dwight? Sure, take him, enjoy
Wade? No
Mike Conley? Doesn't make any sense
Hassan Whiteside? Intriguing I guess?

Which of those guys will go to Portland, and make that team a top 4 team in the West as currently configured?

young teams

They're young

they didn't have as much cap flexibility

Will someone other than me please tell this guy that Holiday and Lilliard aren't the same caliber player.

Once again, they're not really young. The average player is 24.9 years old, the league average is 26 something. A one year difference. Are the warriors old? Their average age is 27.5.

The Sixers had plenty of cap space once Bynum came off. They barely hit the minimum the first year of the tank.

They are comparable players. Same position, same age, same stats.

For a guy who takes stats during games, you really hate numbers.

Once again, they're not really young. The average player is 24.9 years old, the league average is 26 something. A one year difference. Are the warriors old? Their average age is 27.5.

The Sixers had plenty of cap space once Bynum came off. They barely hit the minimum the first year of the tank.

They are comparable players. Same position, same age, same stats.

For a guy who takes stats during games, you really hate numbers.

Bang.

Why did the best free agent last year choose less money over staying with Lillard?

Because he gave Port 9 years and thought SA gave him a better chance to win a title. And what does that prove anyway? New era in Port.

Also, no one is predicting anyone will go there. The only thing I stated is that it was good for this Port team to make the playoffs. They have a star and plenty of cap space to improve their team. They are in better position that a 34-48 Sixers team was. Pretty much all facts. Let's try to stay on topic.

Because he gave Port 9 years and thought SA gave him a better chance to win a title. And what does that prove anyway? New era in Port.

Also, no one is predicting anyone will go there. The only thing I stated is that it was good for this Port team to make the playoffs. They have a star and plenty of cap space to improve their team. They are in better position that a 34-48 Sixers team was. Pretty much all facts. Let's try to stay on topic.

Let's see you address my facts before I tear apart yours? You've ignored them for weeks now.

Just gonna re-cue this up as I'm going to get drunk:

What impact free agents are going to go to Portland?

Durant? No
Lebron? No
Drummond? Maybe? is this your best bet?
Horford? Maybe?
Derozan? No
Pau? No point
Dwight? Sure, take him, enjoy
Wade? No
Mike Conley? Doesn't make any sense
Hassan Whiteside? Intriguing I guess?

Which of those guys will go to Portland, and make that team a top 4 team in the West as currently configured?

I have no clue.

However, they are in a better spot than those 34-48 Sixers led by Holiday-Young-Turner. Easily. Not close. They have a star and they actually made the playoffs this year.

Bang!

Calling Holiday and Lilluard comparable. Please, turn in your badketball card.

Bang!

Let's see you address my facts before I tear apart yours? You've ignored them for weeks now.

Yawn.

You're wrong.

You're calling Holiday-Lilliard comparable. Revoke your card, please.

There isn't a person with a clue that would agree with that. It isn't close.

Bang

Yawn.

You're wrong.

You're calling Holiday-Lilliard comparable. Revoke your card, please.

There isn't a person with a clue that would agree with that. It isn't close.

"Holiday through 4 years:
13.4 pts per (up to 17.7 his final year) 43.775% shooting, 37.575% from 3, 78% FT shooter, 3.6 rebounds per, 5.8 assist per, 1.42 steals per

Lillard through 4 years:
21 pts per, 42.65% shooting, 37% from 3, 87% FT shooter, 3.81 rebounds per, 6.25 assists per, 0.94 steals per

Lillard is the better player, sure, everyone knows that, but it's closer than you think. Holiday was only 22 and an All Star with 4 years experience who had blossomed in the right setting. As a 22 year old, Lillard and Holidays stats were nearly identical."

Please refute what I said above, it's an accurate description of the comparison. I never said Jrue was the better player, or questioned the hierarchy among the two.

As to your two "bangs" to your own posts, please don't steal my shtick, and if you do, please use the quote feature as to appropriately assign ownership. It's rude.

I have no clue.

Calling Holiday and Lilluard comparable. Please, turn in your badketball card.

Please don't misquote me either, I've adequately addressed the differences between Holiday and Lillard at comparable moments in their careers.

Please address consistently calling the team "young", when facts show otherwise.

Thanks in advance, Go Cats.

Nah, people have been stealing my stuff for years. Specifically....

Yawn
Business Like

Lilliard is considered star. Holiday never had that label. Never. It's not closer than I think. It's further than you think.

Reminder: The Sixers went 34-48.

Port wasn't young the other night?

26-25-25-24-23 starters
24-26-28 first 3 off the bench

We're comparing Holiday then and Lilliard today. It's not close!!!! Move away from this, please.

We're comparing Holiday then and Lilliard today. It's not close!!!! Move away from this, please.

Can you define not close? Top 3 PG in their conferences, Lillard decent edge in stats, comparable playoff experience, Lillard one more AS appearance.

Nah, people have been stealing my stuff for years. Specifically....

Yawn
Business Like

Lilliard is considered star. Holiday never had that label. Never. It's not closer than I think. It's further than you think.

Reminder: The Sixers went 34-48.

Port wasn't young the other night?

26-25-25-24-23 starters
24-26-28 first 3 off the bench

Also, anyone can just throw out numbers, but even you StatMan need to look at numbers like this in comparison to a set. Weighted average age for last night? 24.8 years of age. So 0.1 lower than I said, and doesn't change a thing. It's a slightly younger than league average, by about a year or so. By that logic, you are saying the Warriors are old. Are the Warriors old Burrs?

Can you define not close? Top 3 PG in their conferences, Lillard decent edge in stats, comparable playoff experience, Lillard one more AS appearance.

Also, anyone can just throw out numbers, but even you StatMan need to look at numbers like this in comparison to a set. Weighted average age for last night? 24.8 years of age. So 0.1 lower than I said, and doesn't change a thing. It's a slightly younger than league average, by about a year or so. By that logic, you are saying the Warriors are old. Are the Warriors old Burrs?
double bang!

Umm, I didn't call that Sixers team old. But at 34-48 they weren't as good, they didn't make the playoffs (In the East no less), they didn't have a star, and had less flexibility with the salary cap. Not all young is the same.

Why did you pick this argument with me? Because I said it was good that PORT made the playoffs? Jesse Christ, dude.

Define not close? Easy...

One is considered a star, who will probably make 3-5 more AS games.

The other was a nice player, who was never considered a star.

Define not close? Easy...

One is considered a star, who will probably make 3-5 more AS games.

The other was a nice player, who was never considered a star.

Umm, I didn't call that Sixers team old. But at 34-48 they weren't as good, they didn't make the playoffs (In the East no less), they didn't have a star, and had less flexibility with the salary cap. Not all young is the same.

Why did you pick this argument with me? Because I said it was good that PORT made the playoffs? Jesse Christ, dude.

No, I'm not picking anything. I like watching Portland play, and like what they are doing. I'm just confused as to your double standard. Hinkie-ites like you and Snottie use the justification that the Sixers team wasn't going to ever win anything, so might as well blow it up and suck for five years. The Blazers, while better, aren't poised to win anything unless the rest of the West gets Ebola, so why is it different?

Please address the age discrepancies, or concede the point. You've brought it up constantly, when statistically it's false.

Jrue Holiday - star:
2013 All Star Voting - 8th in the East

Jrue Holiday - Elite Point Guard:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/52245/jrue-holiday-emerging-as-elite-point-guard

"Holiday, who will lead the Philadelphia 76ers into their division matchup with the Boston Celtics on Friday (ESPN, 7 ET) is averaging career highs in points per game (18.2), assists per game (9.3) and player efficiency rating (18.5) this season.

If he keeps up this pace of 18 points and nine assists per game, he would be one of four players since 2000 to have those averages along with Chris Paul, Steve Nash and Deron Williams."

"No team is dependent on one player to create their offense as much as the 76ers are on Holiday. He has been responsible for 43 percent of his team’s total points this season, which leads the NBA. The “points responsible for” statistic includes offense generated from assists and points scored."

"Holiday also leads the NBA in efficiency on isolation plays with a points-per-play average of 1.17 (minimum 30 plays), up from .89 last season."

"The 76ers are 10-8 without a single former All-Star active on their roster. Key offseason acquisition Andrew Bynum is still not healthy enough to suit up. However, Holiday almost singlehandedly has kept the 76ers in the playoff hunt."

Jrue Holiday - "As Good as He Wants to be" - Aaron McKie
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/coach...s-good-as-he-wants-to-be/#5DLBwhX30ochtBSc.97

I can post more articles from the time which prove he was "considered a star". Please provide another defintion of "not close:, because that one is patently false and is complete revisionist history based on his injuries since the trade away from Philadelphia.

No, I'm not picking anything. I like watching Portland play, and like what they are doing. I'm just confused as to your double standard. Hinkie-ites like you and Snottie use the justification that the Sixers team wasn't going to ever win anything, so might as well blow it up and suck for five years. The Blazers, while better, aren't poised to win anything unless the rest of the West gets Ebola, so why is it different?

Please address the age discrepancies, or concede the point. You've brought it up constantly, when statistically it's false.

Jrue Holiday - star:
2013 All Star Voting - 8th in the East

Jrue Holiday - Elite Point Guard:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/52245/jrue-holiday-emerging-as-elite-point-guard

"Holiday, who will lead the Philadelphia 76ers into their division matchup with the Boston Celtics on Friday (ESPN, 7 ET) is averaging career highs in points per game (18.2), assists per game (9.3) and player efficiency rating (18.5) this season.

If he keeps up this pace of 18 points and nine assists per game, he would be one of four players since 2000 to have those averages along with Chris Paul, Steve Nash and Deron Williams."

"No team is dependent on one player to create their offense as much as the 76ers are on Holiday. He has been responsible for 43 percent of his team’s total points this season, which leads the NBA. The “points responsible for” statistic includes offense generated from assists and points scored."

"Holiday also leads the NBA in efficiency on isolation plays with a points-per-play average of 1.17 (minimum 30 plays), up from .89 last season."

"The 76ers are 10-8 without a single former All-Star active on their roster. Key offseason acquisition Andrew Bynum is still not healthy enough to suit up. However, Holiday almost singlehandedly has kept the 76ers in the playoff hunt."

Jrue Holiday - "As Good as He Wants to be" - Aaron McKie
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/coach...s-good-as-he-wants-to-be/#5DLBwhX30ochtBSc.97

I can post more articles from the time which prove he was "considered a star". Please provide another defintion of "not close:, because that one is patently false and is complete revisionist history based on his injuries since the trade away from Philadelphia.

Voila_Capture-2016-04-05_01-08-42_AM.jpg

Dude, stop.

Jrue Holiday then is not nearly as good as Lilliard is now. Just stop.

What double standard? After the strike shorten 35-31 season (Pre-Hinkie) I wasn't calling for them to blow it up. Not at all. I enjoyed that year. In fact, they tried to build off of it. Really, they did. They traded for a 20-10 AS center and thought they vault to the top 4 of the EC. Remember? I supported this. I was on board. Again, what double standard? Anyhow, the Bynum move proved to be disasterous. It's been well-chronicled here. From here, that team went 34-48 (That's not what Portland did this year, hardly). Hinkie was hired and traded Jrue for Noel and another 1st. The rest is history.

So, your comparing this WC, playoff POR team, with a budding star with that 14-game under .500 Sixers team with no star player? Got it.

Dude, stop.

Jrue Holiday then is not nearly as good as Lilliard is now. Just stop.

Never said that, please stop misquoting me. It's dishonest.

You continuously fail to address posts in an accurate manner. You're better than that, or at least I thought you were.

I'd address the rest, but I'll wait until you actually do something rather than insult a poster trying to have a real discussion and not a pissing match.

It's ok to put up a white flag and issue a mea culpa burrs. I've done it plenty.

Here is something else that's not close.

2016 POR vs 2013 Sixers.

One made the playoffs in a tougher conference, while the other was 14 games under .500 in a weaker east.

Citing articles after 18 games that season. Holiday's per ended up 16.7 that year. Lillard's over 22 this year. Not close.

Holiday nice player. Can still be a nice player. He snot in Lillard's league

You're wrong. You nit-picked an argument and here we are.

The post-Bynum 76ers went out and got Mullens, Wroten, Moultrie, Davies, Hollis Thompson, James Anderson, Furkan Aldemir and Henry Sims.

Then they followed it up the next season with Shved, Turiaf, Sampson, Mbah A Moute, Thomas Robinson, Covington, Grant, Ish Smith and Glen Robinson III.

It's going to be tough for the Blazers to put together back to back seasons of free agency and trading like that.

The post-Bynum 76ers went out and got Mullens, Wroten, Moultrie, Davies, Hollis Thompson, James Anderson, Furkan Aldemir and Henry Sims.

Then they followed it up the next season with Shved, Turiaf, Sampson, Mbah A Moute, Thomas Robinson, Covington, Grant, Ish Smith and Glen Robinson III.

It's going to be tough for the Blazers to put together back to back seasons of free agency and trading like that.

What's your point?

I'm pretty sure we're all aware of what Hinkie was doing. No one is comparing POR to the tank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT