ADVERTISEMENT

Best Rock Band of Your Lifetime

Mr. Wade Garrett

VUSports.com Addict
Dec 11, 2007
Im in my early 30s. Has to be either Guns n Roses or Rage Against the Machine.

Have the first Rage album on now. Increible'.

Originally posted by YourBuddyRayhad:
R.E.M.
I was thinking about where REM would stand if they had called it quits after Monster.

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables
Pageant
Document
Gren
Out of Time
Automatic For the People
Monster.

tails off at the end there, but that is pretty insane.

Stones for me. No one can come close to matching the catalog. Clash is a bit early for some, and I never got to see them live, but a great band.

I'm not really sure who falls into the category of Rock band but.....

The Dead is far and away tops for me and I still listen to them on pretty much a daily basis but I doubt they fall into this category.

Is Tom Petty and the HB a rock band? If so, then I'd probably go with them.

Otherwise, I'd have to say Nirvana, though their time was obviously short-lived.

i was alive when the grateful dead was alive but never saw them in person

Phish

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, etc. will always fall under the category of "alternative" to me, but that was the music I grew up with. If they could also be considered "rock" (which they very well might be) it has to be Pearl Jam. I also think Smashing Pumpkins is one of the most underrated rock bands of all time. They have so many good songs it is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

R.E.M.
I was thinking about where REM would stand if they had called it quits after Monster.

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables
Pageant
Document
Gren
Out of Time
Automatic For the People
Monster.

Stones for me. No one can come close to matching the catalog. Clash is a bit early for some, and I never got to see them live, but a great band.
Weird that you say REM should have quit years ago, then mention The Rolling Stones

Not sure how to quantify him, but I'd go with Jack White (et al) if we are talking rock, versatility, talent, etc.

RHCP is up there, but honestly I'm just bored with them.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

R.E.M.

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables
Pageant
Document
Gren
Out of Time
Automatic For the People
Monster.

Weird that you say REM should have quit years ago, then mention The Rolling Stones
Well, the Stones have been basically a touring band for a while now, which i certanly dont begrudge anyone - if you have the ability to sell tickets and are willing to go hustle for them - fine by me. And i actually enjoyed some of their more recent work. Most bands are best their first ten years - I really wasnt singling out REM. Point was more that their first 7 or so records were just killing it - and then it got pretty unlistenable - but man a great front 7.

I would put their initial run up against anyone's
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I was just listening all the way through to Pageant last week. Just a perfect rawness to great songs. Really enjoy the others but that is probably my favorite.

ABBA, Alice in Chains, Nickelback, Meat Loaf, Queen.

This post was edited on 3/18 3:56 PM by tjc3844

Originally posted by tjc3844:
ABBA, Alice in Chains, Nickelback, Meat Loaf, Queen.

This post was edited on 3/18 3:56 PM by tjc3844
Can't edit (again).

83639fdf55cbf21c24c6984316c1eb08.251x263x20.gif

Villanova U, I hope you're retired like me. You really have time on your hands-:)

Originally posted by Mr. Wade Garrett:

Incredible album and one of the best live bands I've seen.

Dirty, Tool is phenomenal. I love Alice in Chains but unfortunately never got to see them live. "Nutshell" is one of my favorite songs alltime.

Liz, I only have the "Dirt" album I downloaded from the iTunes store based on a recommendation. I like it so I play it.

Originally posted by Chimpat:

Originally posted by Mr. Wade Garrett:

Incredible album and one of the best live bands I've seen.

Dirty, Tool is phenomenal. I love Alice in Chains but unfortunately never got to see them live. "Nutshell" is one of my favorite songs alltime.
saw them once way back when 93 lollapalooza. outstanding.

was supposed to see them a second time at some big concert in san diego near the Mexican border with Mettalica and a few other bands. Layne put in rehab days before. Was a waste of $.

new singer actually does a decent job. not layne, but worth seeing.

REM had a come back of sorts with their last 2 albums before hanging it up. Not quite as good as those first 8 or so albums but really pretty good stuff. They were a bit lost for a while before that.

I would have to say REM as well -- the listed albums phenomenal in different ways, and then the end albums not bad as well. Unbelievable catalog.

Also I guess it's trendy to bash U2 -- they have some really really good stuff, unfortunately that last 2 or 3 before Song of Innocence (which is good) were just awful awful awful.

Find tremendous value in some of U2's latest efforts, especially All That You Cant Leave Behind. Alice in Chains ? Does a band get better as members heart's seize ? Good......but best ?

I would offer up Bono's "So Cruel" as the soundtrack to Obriend's 4 page, 200 post TQ thread as the quintessential song about unrequited love

Originally posted by LGBlue:
REM had a come back of sorts with their last 2 albums before hanging it up. Not quite as good as those first 8 or so albums but really pretty good stuff. They were a bit lost for a while before that.

I would have to say REM as well -- the listed albums phenomenal in different ways, and then the end albums not bad as well. Unbelievable catalog.

Also I guess it's trendy to bash U2 -- they have some really really good stuff, unfortunately that last 2 or 3 before Song of Innocence (which is good) were just awful awful awful.
I agree. I also think it's natural but not all that fair to compare an artists best work to the rest of their work. Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree and basically masterpieces for a band. They've held up and they are surrounded by other excellent work in War and Achtung Baby. Kind of like people telling da Vinci 'yeah, Lady with an Ermine is nice and all, but it's no Mona Lisa.

I found the most recent U2 record 100% listenable. Enjoyed the single a lot.

Achtung is a great album, my favorite of theirs. It also came out when grunge was taking over/had taken over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT