ADVERTISEMENT

Best Rock Band of Your Lifetime

You used to love the Dead but never understood "jamming nonsense"? Isn't the jamming a big part of their show?

Chimpat, it wasn't until I started listening to their live stuff I realized it wasn't for me.

Originally posted by VUWildCat2003:
Chimpat, it wasn't until I started listening to their live stuff I realized it wasn't for me.
Interesting. Not sure I've EVER heard of ANYONE who preferred the Dead's studio stuff over their live music.

I've seen them between 20 - 25 times but none since Jerry died.

Originally posted by Greg Woodward:
Interesting. Not sure I've EVER heard of ANYONE who preferred the Dead's studio stuff over their live music.
I like American Beauty, it's their only album I'm a fan of

I've seen them between 20 - 25 times but none since Jerry died.
Agreed which is why I found it a very strange statement.

I like how they sound live, I just don't have the attention span for a 20 minute jam session. The studio albums they don't have the option of jamming like they do live.

Long story short, love their music or should I say their SONGS, live or studio, the jams killed it for me. I feel the same way about Phish. Just not a jam guy, it isn't an impressive display of music as far as I'm concerned.

Listening to a guy like Stevie Ray Vaughan jam, I can do that all day, or listen to a song like Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson, I can listen to a guy on a guitar like that for hours. What Phish and Grateful Dead do as far as their jamming bores me. I am sorry. I don't find it to be impressive. Just one man's opinion.

Pat Roddy Band
Dispatch
Pearl Jam
Bruce

Pearl Jam puts on an incredible show. So does Bruce and the E Streeters.

I like how they sound live, I just don't have the attention span for a 20 minute jam session. The studio albums they don't have the option of jamming like they do live.

Long story short, love their music or should I say their SONGS, live or studio, the jams killed it for me. I feel the same way about Phish. Just not a jam guy, it isn't an impressive display of music as far as I'm concerned.

Listening to a guy like Stevie Ray Vaughan jam, I can do that all day, or listen to a song like Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson, I can listen to a guy on a guitar like that for hours. What Phish and Grateful Dead do as far as their jamming bores me. I am sorry. I don't find it to be impressive. Just one man's opinion.
Fair enough. I LOVE the jams during and between their live songs but I've never really been a fan of listening Space or Rythem Devils for 20+ minutes. Maybe that's what you're referring to also.

VU2003--was just listening to SRV with Albert King studio session today.....two heavyweights deferring to each other. Matchbox Blues could be one of the best things I've ever heard.

Attention dead fans., wxpn 88.5 Philadelphia is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead on Friday 4/15 by broadcasting their music for 24 hours starting at 6am.

Fair enough. I LOVE the jams during and between their live songs but I've never really been a fan of listening Space or Rythem Devils for 20+ minutes. Maybe that's what you're referring to also.
Even as someone who has seen over 75 Phish shows, I completely understand how someone would prefer the studio version of songs (especially the GD, who were much more polished songwriters than Phish) over listening to live shows. When these bands jam, sometimes there is a lot of noodling around to get to the payoff where the band is locked in and gets to something fun, different, or "impressive". Sometimes they don't get there at all, which by the way, is completely subjective- I have friends that believe that Phish can do no wrong and everything that comes off that stage is Gold. Even as into it as I obviously am, there's always moments at a show where I'm bored by what's happening at the moment and I'm looking forward to whatever they are going to get to next. It's not an easy genre of music to be a casual fan of, plenty of people get turned off by songs that go 20-30 minutes.

Originally posted by LizReed:

...SRV with Albert King...
Had a friend who played guitar, and he got us into the blues in time to see most of them;

Albert/BB/John Lee Hooker/Johnny Copeland/Buddy/Albert Collins/Magic Slim/Lil Ed/Luther Allison/Pinetop Perkins/Jimmy Rogers/Hubert Sumlin/Otis Rush/Junior Wells/Elvin Bishop/Bobby Bland/Lonnie Brooks/RL Burnside/T-Model Ford/Eddie Campbell…

Johnny Copeland was the best. Saw him a couple times at the old Barbary ('50s upstairs, Halloween downstairs). Not too crowded, not too drunk.

It's not really rock, so I'll say Los Straitjackets.

The Who deserve a mention here.
I can't choose just one rock band.
Jimi Hendrix Experience were huge in defining the genre.

If you enjoy funk-infused, jazzy, jam bands - The New Mastersounds will be playing in Ardmore on May 22 and in the B ( if it still exists) on May 21 ( for you southerners)

Lots of great choices. As far as I'm concerned the Stones have been the greatest rock band on earth since they formed in 1962 - therefore, since the Stones have been around for longer then I've been alive they get my vote. However, if you want to talk about the greatest group whose popularity exploded when I was a teenager etc. then I would have to go with either G'N R or Metallica. I got Appetite for Destruction on my 12th birthday before it exploded later that year- I got the Use Your Illusions albums the day they came out. Same with Metallica-bought the Black album ( still my least favorite Metallica album btw) the day it came out. Stood in line for hours at Select a Tickets to buy tickets at MSG for GNR in 1991. Went again to GNR and Metallica in 1992. They were at the top of their recording and touring careers and I was 16- the age that music appreciation really clicks. Compared to today's pathetic music, I'm glad I experienced what I did.

Lots of great choices. As far as I'm concerned the Stones have been the greatest rock band on earth since they formed in 1962 - therefore, since the Stones have been around for longer then I've been alive they get my vote. However, if you want to talk about the greatest group whose popularity exploded when I was a teenager etc. then I would have to go with either G'N R or Metallica. I got Appetite for Destruction on my 12th birthday before it exploded later that year- I got the Use Your Illusions albums the day they came out. Same with Metallica-bought the Black album ( still my least favorite Metallica album btw) the day it came out. Stood in line for hours at Select a Tickets to buy tickets at MSG for GNR in 1991. Went again to GNR and Metallica in 1992. They were at the top of their recording and touring careers and I was 16- the age that music appreciation really clicks. Compared to today's pathetic music, I'm glad I experienced what I did.

Metallica blows

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT