ADVERTISEMENT

Brexit

What? The anti EU sentiment wasn't going anywhere?

This whole thing is just human nature. History clearly shows that as governments grow and take more and more power from the people, the people will rise up and take the power back peacefully as in this case or violently in countless other cases in the past. People are willing to take the chance that things will get better because, in their minds, they can't get much worse. The same thing is happening here which is what gave rise to Trump whether or not he will be the vehicle for change. If he isn't, you can be sure there will be another populist candidate in 2020.

How exactly did being a part of the EU take power away from the people? Seemed to give them more options with regards to work - they were free to go work anywhere without worrying about visas etc - now they are not. Now they are limited to the UK job market with out jumping through hoops to work somewhere else. UK unemployment right now is historically low, so in not sure what you mean by 'they can't get much worse' .. Britian is doing well for the most part right now.

Stupid to vote leave, but in the immediate aftermath I hit up Harrods and out a low ball bid on a flat in Chelsea

- oh wait, that is all the GCC folks here for the summer natural air conditioning

How exactly did being a part of the EU take power away from the people? Seemed to give them more options with regards to work - they were free to go work anywhere without worrying about visas etc - now they are not. Now they are limited to the UK job market with out jumping through hoops to work somewhere else. UK unemployment right now is historically low, so in not sure what you mean by 'they can't get much worse' .. Britian is doing well for the most part right now.
EU needs UK more than UK needed the EU. It's a world financial market. Several European officials have already said there shouldn't be any major changes in trading practices. I think this is just the beginning. Look for more countries (especially in Northern Europe) to vote on leaving.

EU needs UK more than UK needed the EU. It's a world financial market. Several European officials have already said there shouldn't be any major changes in trading practices. I think this is just the beginning. Look for more countries (especially in Northern Europe) to vote on leaving.

I think just the opposite the more I read. I think the UK will wind up not leaving the EU. Cameron basically left invoking Article 50 on the next guy - and im not convinced the Brexiters have the balls to invoke it. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that after Scotland and NI throw their weight around, the U.K will not leave the Eu. The vote is a recommendation , not a mandate when it's all said and done.

That said - it's a bit of a Humpty Dumpty moment - they may be able to piece the egg back together but in the end the egg was busted. I still fail to see the upside of leaving and have not hear any sound reasoning to contradict that.

Reactions: Mr. Wade Garrett
It's Saturday night. You need to go out to a bar and pick up a chick and get laid Jake. You're becoming as obsessed as NC94!

Anyone who exposes you as the liar and nitwit that you are is therefore "obsessed."

Got it.

Isolationism in a general sense has created a world of rich and diverse cultures throughout the world. Before the age of colonialism there was nothing but isolationism and society progressed well. Our greatest accomplishments in art and culture were accomplished before our efforts at world dominion. Foreign travel is interesting because of diverse cultures and individual differences. Despite the lies, globalism is against diversity, not for it.

I think the better question is where has globalization gotten us. That's the new world. Is our involvement in wars in Asia advancing our nation? Do we benefit by functioning as world police? Are we really so arrogant to think that our systems of government and economics are so superior that they need to be imposed worldwide?

"Globalism is against diversity, not for it" - what do you mean?

As for our involvement in Asia, that is interventionism, not globalization.

I do agree that our systems of govt and economics are not perfect for every country. And it's a valid point that globalization encourages uniformity in these areas. But when I hear about national identities being "lost", it sounds like a bunch of malarkey. What is American culture? Watching football, barbecuing, eating pizza, and Jeopardy? All good things, but I don't feel like my culture is threatened because slightly different families live nearby.

Reactions: tomjackleman
"Globalism is against diversity, not for it" - what do you mean?

As for our involvement in Asia, that is interventionism, not globalization.

I do agree that our systems of govt and economics are not perfect for every country. And it's a valid point that globalization encourages uniformity in these areas. But when I hear about national identities being "lost", it sounds like a bunch of malarkey. What is American culture? Watching football, barbecuing, eating pizza, and Jeopardy? All good things, but I don't feel like my culture is threatened because slightly different families live nearby.
I don't believe wanting your country to have recognized enforceable borders is a bigoted or right wing position.

I don't believe wanting your country to have recognized enforceable borders is a bigoted or right wing position.
That's a fair point. However, it swings both ways. The Leave campaign seems to want a closed entrance to the UK while continuing to want to have free passage of labor into the greater EU.

It also doesn't mean that a bigoted, nationalist constituency doesn't exist in the leave campaign. It absolutely does, but it's basically impossible to tell its size.

That's a fair point. However, it swings both ways. The Leave campaign seems to want a closed entrance to the UK while continuing to want to have free passage of labor into the greater EU.

It also doesn't mean that a bigoted, nationalist constituency doesn't exist in the leave campaign. It absolutely does, but it's basically impossible to tell its size.

Very good point - I would add the Leave folks believe they voted for something that can and will never exist. A lot of things actually. I think the rhetoric as they ramped up to the vote sounded great, but from what i am reading it doesn't sound like it's remotely plausible, and even Johnson and Farange know this now. Doubt they leave in the end.

Bigots are a fact of life. They exist through all segments of all societies. It's not a left or right issue. Bigotry becomes problematic when it infringes on the rights of others.

Bigots are a fact of life. They exist through all segments of all societies. It's not a left or right issue. Bigotry becomes problematic when it infringes on the rights of others.
Yes, they are, but they do congregate more in some places than others. Which is what we have here.

Since you're feeling up to answering things, can you address my earlier points? Thanks.

Yes, they are, but they do congregate more in some places than others. Which is what we have here.

Since you're feeling up to answering things, can you address my earlier points? Thanks.
I don't even remember what your earlier questions were and have no interest in answering them anyway.

Just keep misreading the signs of discontent and the mood of the electorate. I won't stoop to the name calling routine that you have, Wade. That's just the usual tactic people use when they don't have plausible arguments to support their points of view.
‘Crazy Bernie’
‘Crooked Hillary’
‘Little Marco’
‘Low Energy’ Jeb
‘1 for 38 Kasich’
'Goofy Elizabeth Warren'

Just address that if you can, pretty big one. Thanks in advance, appreciate the dialogue.

Reactions: ericw
How about mine? Where you spewed a false number as fact and got mad when i called you on it? Would you like to address that?
I would have been more inclined to answer if you hadn't accused my post of being a "lie," Wade. Find out for yourself by Googling Stuart Varney of Fox Business Channel. He is a former UK citizen and did a special report on it. Unless you're going to claim he would "lie" on his TV show, I will assume it's true. FYI, even if your post is correct that the UK is a net creditor to the EU, that has nothing to do with the amount of taxes they pay to the EU. In fact, it furthers my point that the UK is more valuable to the EU than the reverse.

I would have been more inclined to answer if you hadn't accused my post of being a "lie," Wade. Find out for yourself by Googling Stuart Varney of Fox Business Channel. He is a former UK citizen and did a special report on it. Unless you're going to claim he would "lie" on his TV show, I will assume it's true. FYI, even if your post is correct that the UK is a net creditor to the EU, that has nothing to do with the amount of taxes they pay to the EU. In fact, it furthers my point that the UK is more valuable to the EU than the reverse.
wow.

Reactions: NickleDimer
FYI, even if your post is correct that the UK is a net creditor to the EU, that has nothing to do with the amount of taxes they pay to the EU. In fact, it furthers my point that the UK is more valuable to the EU than the reverse.

I don't particularly like having debates with you, because you fail to acknowledge points on the other side, ever. And you just ignore things when they prove how wrong you are. But I can't let this slide.

"What is the UK's net contribution to the EU?" on Google.

First hit:
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Second hit:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8036097.stm#start

Third hit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...w-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

I could continue, but it would just be more of the same. Your information was wrong. You claimed they contributed more than 300% of the actual number.

And don't give me shit over my use of "creditor" vs "contributor." You know what I meant.

Haven't been to UK in number of years, going have to go back & enjoy & support their monetary independence.

Haven't been to UK in number of years, going have to go back & enjoy & support their monetary independence.
With the decreased value of the pound, your money will go further, too, cleanwave.

I don't particularly like having debates with you, because you fail to acknowledge points on the other side, ever. And you just ignore things when they prove how wrong you are. But I can't let this slide.

"What is the UK's net contribution to the EU?" on Google.

First hit:
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Second hit:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8036097.stm#start

Third hit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...w-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

I could continue, but it would just be more of the same. Your information was wrong. You claimed they contributed more than 300% of the actual number.

And don't give me shit over my use of "creditor" vs "contributor." You know what I meant.
Like I said, Wade, if you hadn't characterized my post as a lie, it would have led to a worthwhile exchange of facts and opinions. I find it hard to exchange ideas with someone who tries to start off an exchange with an unnecessary mean spirited false accusation.

Like I said, Wade, if you hadn't characterized my post as a lie, it would have led to a worthwhile exchange of facts and opinions. I find it hard to exchange ideas with someone who tries to start off an exchange with an unnecessary mean spirited false accusation.

I didnt call you anything - so maybe you can answer my posts? You mentioned people wanted to take their power back - I asked how being in the EU took power away from the British people. You also said "it can't get much worse" for their people, yet the UK enjoys a strong currency and low unemployment. I was just trying to see what you meant by those two things.

I didnt call you anything - so maybe you can answer my posts? You mentioned people wanted to take their power back - I asked how being in the EU took power away from the British people. You also said "it can't get much worse" for their people, yet the UK enjoys a strong currency and low unemployment. I was just trying to see what you meant by those two things.

I expect a logical, direct, respectful response based in evidence from a reputable source.

tjc is not interested in an endless back and forth.

Translation: He was painted into a corner and you made him look foolish.

Anarchy, here is perhaps the most egregious example:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/feb/13/uk-supreme-court-debate-european-courts

Other examples include such ridiculous rulings from Brussels as forcing certain vacuum cleaners, toasters, hair dryers and even tea kettles off the market in the UK. (Really big mistake because anyone should know you never mess with a Brit's tea.) They want to impose a tax on cow flatulence more commonly known as farts. (Man, is that a load of shit.) They also want to stop UK butchers from packaging pork kidneys in the same package as pork chops. I have no idea why? The list goes on and on and is a great example of an overseeing bureaucracy gone wild trying to take more and more power.

Anarchy, here is perhaps the most egregious example:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/feb/13/uk-supreme-court-debate-european-courts

Other examples include such ridiculous rulings from Brussels as forcing certain vacuum cleaners, toasters, hair dryers and even tea kettles off the market in the UK. (Really big mistake because anyone should know you never mess with a Brit's tea.) They want to impose a tax on cow flatulence more commonly known as farts. (Man, is that a load of shit.) They also want to stop UK butchers from packaging pork kidneys in the same package as pork chops. I have no idea why? The list goes on and on and is a great example of an overseeing bureaucracy gone wild trying to take more and more power.

If it is truly as you say, with the populous wanting to take back control of their country, I wonder if that will call millennials to action to vote against social security recipients who have been robbing their future for nearly two decades now.

If it is truly as you say, with the populous wanting to take back control of their country, I wonder if that will call millennials to action to vote against social security recipients who have been robbing their future for nearly two decades now.
Will that be before or after they ask the government to pay for college with taxpayer dollars on the backs of working people?

Will that be before or after they ask the government to pay for college with taxpayer dollars on the backs of working people?

Does that currently happen? Does the government really fund all of them? If so, I assume it makes up around 25% of the budget, or nealy $900 billion a year if that was your counterpoint.

Probably before - as they have not asked for that save a few looney tooners who have no idea how stuff works. But hand outs to old people are already in place. Just say thank you next time you see a young person. They're paying for you. And so am I - so you're welcome.

Probably before - as they have not asked for that save a few looney tooners who have no idea how stuff works. But hand outs to old people are already in place. Just say thank you next time you see a young person. They're paying for you. And so am I - so you're welcome.
I don't get any handouts from anyone. I paid into SS for 46 years and its such a paltry amount I would hate to have to live on it. Fortunately, I worked hard and created my own retirement fund. I also employed lots of people in various businesses and paid 50% into their SS retirement funds just like your employer (if you work.) So, next time get some facts before you prove you don't know what you're talking about. Save the sarcastic remarks for your fellow millennials the next time you have a whining session at your local Starbucks.

I don't get any handouts from anyone. I paid into SS for 46 years and its such a paltry amount I would hate to have to live on it. Fortunately, I worked hard and created my own retirement fund. I also employed lots of people in various businesses and paid 50% into their SS retirement funds just like your employer (if you work.) So, next time get some facts before you prove you don't know what you're talking about. Save the sarcastic remarks for your fellow millennials the next time you have a whining session at your local Starbucks.
When you were self employed, did you pay just your "fair share" to SS or the full amount required by law?

That's not a very pleasant thank you. When I am your age I will be very appreciative of the young ones paying for my hand outs, er benefits.

I would guess the majority of people aged 20-30 care more about "yolo" and experiences now than savings for later. Not to start up the whole thread (which only ADP seemed to say isn't true) about ~50% of Americans not having $400 in case of emergency. The number is probably higher for millenials, many of whom are reliant on their parents in case they go above that $400 range. I'm sure they'll expect a similar bailout when they are 65.

I would guess the majority of people aged 20-30 care more about "yolo" and experiences now than savings for later. Not to start up the whole thread (which only ADP seemed to say isn't true) about ~50% of Americans not having $400 in case of emergency. The number is probably higher for millenials, many of whom are reliant on their parents in case they go above that $400 range. I'm sure they'll expect a similar bailout when they are 65.
Like adp, they have all their savings tied up in college town real estate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT