ADVERTISEMENT

Cecil the Lion remembered

Aren't you supposed to hunt and track the thing? Isn't that part of the "sport". We're still talking about a lion right? People do worse stuff to actual humans and we have less outrage. I don't get it. Seems mis-placed to me and the money it costs goes right into the populist rage. Thats why it's listed how much the guy paid. Don't kid yourself.

Yes, you are supposed to hunt and track the thing as sport. You are not supposed to rope a dead gazelle off the back of a jeep to to lure the thing off government property to a spot where you are permitted to hunt.

Yes, you are supposed to hunt and track the thing as sport. Where in the wild are spotlights positioned to help the "hunter" get his trophy?

I have no problem with hunting. This wasn't hunting.

Reactions: FatPhilM
I'm not outraged, I'm confused. People really care about destroying another person's life over this event. People are out to destroy this guy because he killed a lion. To me that seems a bit twisted. This guy did something we call aknowledge was a bit excessive but in our fit for justice we destroy him? What are we teaching here? All the while we have real stuff going on and we all look the other way. I simply don't get it. I'm owning my ignorance here. Seems like an example of misplaced priorities. I'm not outraged at all. However, I think the rail-roading of people is dangerous. And it's usually done under the guise of the moral high ground. That's a very dangerous path to go down. However, that's where we are as a country. That's a problem IMO. Last week was the Cowherd thing, which was ridiculous.

Just because someone is outraged about a senseless, and perhaps illegal, lion killing by some Dentist macho wannabe, (and I am not an anti-Dentite), doesn't mean that the person can't also be outraged by Planned Parenthood, terrorism, violence in the streets, etc. The lion killing outrage can be real, but not necessarily paramount to the exclusions of all other outrages.

I'm not outraged, I'm confused. People really care about destroying another person's life over this event. People are out to destroy this guy because he killed a lion. To me that seems a bit twisted. This guy did something we call aknowledge was a bit excessive but in our fit for justice we destroy him? What are we teaching here? All the while we have real stuff going on and we all look the other way. I simply don't get it. I'm owning my ignorance here. Seems like an example of misplaced priorities. I'm not outraged at all. However, I think the rail-roading of people is dangerous. And it's usually done under the guise of the moral high ground. That's a very dangerous path to go down. However, that's where we are as a country. That's a problem IMO.
It is the new norm and I agree the Twitter horde can be a destructive and merciless force... for both good and bad. To me this is a case where the act seems pretty vile but other times I completely agree the public shaming/with hunt doesn't match the "crime." Not sure how we change it as it takes no effort on the part of people to join the horde.

The planned parenthood stuff has been in the news everyday for weeks now. From 6:45 to 7:30 last night I received 5 news alerts related to the controversy.. from the website being hacked to their letter to NIH to Cruz's threat about the Sept 30th spending bill. Your faux outrage about the outrage is misplaced. Its not an either or proposition. Cecil the Lion hasn't pushed Planned Parenthood out of the news... it will be done by tomorrow.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/cultur...d-cecil-lion-more-1-day-abortion-vids-2-weeks

The guy isnt necessarily a jagoff for shooting black bears and lions illegally, he's a jagoff for lying instead of sacking up and admitting he did something wrong

That article is kind of ambiguous no? It was just looking at the very specific morning show window (GMA, Today and CBS This Morning). Thats a 90-120 minute window.. not all of the network news. Not to mention the countless other options beyond three morning shows. Look at the demos for those shows and look at the types of stories covered regularly... its barely news. Isn't the evening news considered the more hard news shows for the networks as well?

It is the new norm and I agree the Twitter horde can be a destructive and merciless force... for both good and bad. To me this is a case where the act seems pretty vile but other times I completely agree the public shaming/with hunt doesn't match the "crime." Not sure how we change it as it takes no effort on the part of people to join the horde.

9781594487132_custom-e267f59b2962eb08d47252d1b1000883e4aa2ad6-s400-c85.jpg

Reactions: NickleDimer
People who are against the lion-killing aren’t going to have any sympathy for this guy. I think it’s a great lesson for people who don’t understand or respect the value of anonymity - how swiftly and brutally someone can be exposed for wrongdoing.

People who are against the lion-killing aren’t going to have any sympathy for this guy. I think it’s a great lesson for people who don’t understand or respect the value of anonymity - how swiftly and brutally someone can be exposed for wrongdoing.

This becomes scary when right/wrong are determined by the anonymous.

What are those Yelp reviews of? Is it the guy's dental practice? If so, wouldn't it be better giving him 1 star instead of 4?

Reactions: NorCalVU10
[

Exactly, the nameless, faceless out to destroy another person in seeking justice. Dangerous

The real victim here is the dentist. Rightttt.

There is outrage about every single thing that happens in this country - on one side or the other. I think the main reason the Cecil killing is big news is because it's so easy for once for BOTH sides to say this guy screwed up. It's almost comical how ridiculous the story is. Forget about the endangerment, forget about what money he makes - just think about justifying this action to your child. If you can honestly say that you would promote big game hunting to your child, then to each their own I guess - but it just seems like a morally reprehensible and cowardly act, especially considering the circumstances.

The guy is lucky to not be sitting in a Zimbabwean jail right now. The internet outrage is the least of his worries.

Besides, he's a big-game hunting tough guy. He can handle it.

The dentist is a douche bag but that doesn't mean people should be out to destroy his life. You guys don't see how that seems to miss the mark here? Let's use it as a teaching moment, not the opportunity to destroy someone.

I can appreciate your position if you feel sorry for the guy. But I don't. To me he's more than just a douche bag. Way more. He's a scourge.

Love how people get bent out of shape over an animal in Africa and shrug their shoulder at the tens of thousands of murder victims a day globally.

It's not about feeling sorry for the guy. I think what people are doing to this guy is equally as bad to the act he committed. We're blessing an eye-for-eye between a human being and an animal half a world a way.

I can appreciate your position if you feel sorry for the guy. But I don't. To me he's more than just a douche bag. Way more. He's a scourge.[/QU

I can agree to disagree. My stance is the circumstances surrounding the lion's death are appalling. And the guy, Palmer, is a previous offender of poaching.

Oh, and there's also this:

In 2009, Palmer agreed to a settlement with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry over allegations that he sexually harassed a receptionist. She alleged that Palmer made comments about her breasts, buttocks and genitalia. Without admitting guilt, Palmer settled and paid $127,500 to the woman, who also was his patient.

So, again, I say f*ck this guy, karma's a bitch.

I rest my case. Now people are going into every detail of this guy's life to ruin him. details that have nothing to do with what they were originally outraged about. Naturally, if you read it on the internet it has to be true. Again, I'm not defending the guy or his actions but get a gripe. You don't know this guy.

Reactions: NovaTras22
You're right, I don't know Palmer and I don't know if the above payoff is true. But I don't think the internet shaming and exposure, even at its extreme level right now, is "eye-for-an-eye." He admitted in his only public statement that he didn't discuss his hunting hobby with patients because it was "divisive." Good call, Doc.

I don't want him dead. I get that some people truly do. But I like that he's getting villified. I think the public outcry, Yelp reviews and stuffed animals piled up outside his office are hilarious.

I bet his dental rates will be a bargain when he gets back to work. If anyone needs some serious dental work - move up on to MN to save some coin.

I rest my case. Now people are going into every detail of this guy's life to ruin him. details that have nothing to do with what they were originally outraged about. Naturally, if you read it on the internet it has to be true. Again, I'm not defending the guy or his actions but get a gripe. You don't know this guy.

Is this about the lion hunter or Hulk Hogan?

It's not about feeling sorry for the guy. I think what people are doing to this guy is equally as bad to the act he committed. We're blessing an eye-for-eye between a human being and an animal half a world a way.
I don't have a dog in this hunt (see what I did there?) but this is a bit of an overstatement.

The guy's reputation is being shredded, but no one lured him out of his dental office and blew his head off with a bazooka. So I'd say that it's not "equally as bad."

Because Cats are people too? WTF are we talking about here? Clearly it's me as I don't get it. Make sure none of you ever eat a lobster. They are boiled alive. Isn't that just as bad?

adp is getting trolled big time. Either that or this country is even more f-cked up than I already thought if this is the conventional wisdom.

I agree that what the man did was barbaric but I also believe that aborting a fetus is just as bad if not worse because we are talking about a human life.

And any asshole who has that much time on his/her hands to post signs on the guy's office door and create Yelp! accounts to defame him needs to get a f-cking life and a job, in that order.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Lobsters aren't cute, get with the program! Did you see the last picture of Cecil. So sympathetic. I wish Mr. Palmer was this sympathetic. Cecil has taught me how to love (again)
Cecil-and-lioness_3390402b.jpg
!

And any asshole who has that much time on his/her hands to post signs on the guy's office door and create Yelp! accounts to defame him needs to get a f-cking life and a job, in that order.

Really posting that on here? The source of the Gretchen in Hell twitter account and comment bombing of 10 year old article on a south philly news site. Not to mention your 15 thousands posts on an inet message board and the fact that for a solid period 90% of them were directed towards TJC. I think we are all living in a glass house if that's the stance you are trying to take on this issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT