ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Christie

thechinamen.jpg

"What the f*ck are you talking about? The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you do not … also, Dude, "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please."

Yeah, let's come up with a secret code word that we can use forever. It will be our little joke.
I prefer to wait for the University of New Hampshire to release its updated edition which tells us which words we are allowed to use.

thechinamen.jpg

"What the f*ck are you talking about? The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you do not … also, Dude, "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please."
"Walter, this isn't a guy who built the railroads here."

Non-disabled? Seriously, Clark? Since PC people are all about subtle meaning, doesn't this mean that most people are disabled, and we need to point out the people who are not?

"Walter, this isn't a guy who built the railroads here."

Non-disabled? Seriously, Clark? Since PC people are all about subtle meaning, doesn't this mean that most people are disabled, and we need to point out the people who are not?
Or if they are disabled shouldn't we just put their parking spaces all over so they feel like they fit in?

I am honestly pretty torn over political correctness. I feel like there are many words we shouldn't say. I haven't said the homosexual f word in years. Because when i hear that word i hear a lot of anger and hatred and it just seems wrong. I'd be lying if i said i haven't said the n word, but that is always within the lyrics of a song.

But being asked to say "non-disabled" when I don't think there is much of any hate for disabled people is where it becomes more about the people making these rules feel good about their righteous selves than it is about the marginalized group not being targeted with verbal hatred.

When i hear people say that political correctness is ruining this country though - I just don't get it. I think these people think they "tell it like it is" when we all see the same issues they do - the difference is they assign the cause of said problems to their superiority over the marginalized group, while the "politically correct" try to identify what causes the marginalization.

Basically, I don't get why being asked to be nice makes people so angry

Snottie, when people say political correctness is ruining this country I believe they are getting at the fact we now have social media and the masses making these unwritten rules. This represents unchecked power to push a narrative that can destroy people if they don't follow these new "rules" being made up on the fly. It's not the act or words, it's that power and mobilization that can now occur to bring harm to people or causes that might not represent anything other than a point of view or opinion that one side doesn't agree with. It's now being wrapped in being PC and an entire agenda being pushed. Look at the Bruce Jenner thing. Regardless of what you may think, an agenda has been shoved down our throats. Now that her show is bombing the noise will die down but we went from zero to Arthur Ashe hero award in 15 minutes over a multi-millionaire who decided to have some elective surgery. Note, I'm not making any judgement on transgender people and there is a benefit to having the discussion. However, it's no longer a discussion. You must accept one side of the discussion or you're some sort of bigot. May people smarter than me (with medical degrees) said it's mental illness. Is it? Did we have that discussion? That's a dangerous place to be IMO. One side assumes the moral high ground and everyone else is the caveman? I'm not sure that's a good thing in some cases. The masses or those pushing an agenda often get it wrong. However, we now have real world consequences if you don't conform and many times without the benefit of a real discussion.

Just curious. What has the long term impact of the caitlin jenner story been on the health of this country? Awards given by a media organization to capture ratings the one night of the year there are no professional sports are something of national importance?

Snottie, when people say political correctness is ruining this country I believe they are getting at the fact we now have social media and the masses making these unwritten rules. This represents unchecked power to push a narrative that can destroy people if they don't follow these new "rules" being made up on the fly. It's not the act or words, it's that power and mobilization that can now occur to bring harm to people or causes that might not represent anything other than a point of view or opinion that one side doesn't agree with. It's now being wrapped in being PC and an entire agenda being pushed. Look at the Bruce Jenner thing. Regardless of what you may think, an agenda has been shoved down our throats. Now that her show is bombing the noise will die down but we went from zero to Arthur Ashe hero award in 15 minutes over a multi-millionaire who decided to have some elective surgery. Note, I'm not making any judgement on transgender people and there is a benefit to having the discussion. However, it's no longer a discussion. You must accept one side of the discussion or you're some sort of bigot. May people smarter than me (with medical degrees) said it's mental illness. Is it? Did we have that discussion? That's a dangerous place to be IMO. One side assumes the moral high ground and everyone else is the caveman? I'm not sure that's a good thing in some cases. The masses or those pushing an agenda often get it wrong. However, we now have real world consequences if you don't conform and many times without the benefit of a real discussion.

I don't understand why Caitlin Jenner would bother anyone. Especially the ESPY award thing. Not once has an ESPY award created a national conversation before - and of course it does when a transgender person wins it.

I don't think you are part of this group at all. But if you read any comment section on an article about Caitlin Jenner you will see exactly why her group is marginalized. And yes, her wealth is controversial - but traditionally throughout history it has been wealthy members of a subclass who have been at the forefront of social progress for said class.

I do get disturbed by phrases like "shoved down our throats". Your life hasn't, doesn't, and won't change at all because of her. However, it is abundantly clear that transgender people have had hatred and physical violence "shoved down their throats" for decades. Basically you feel oppressed for being expected to say nice things about transgender people if you want to be viewed as stable. Oh the horror. It really baffles me.

I don't think we have any idea of the long-term impact. Too soon to tell. Personally, I have learned more about Transgender issues. However, I still have no clue what I think on the subject. Jenner is a 65 year old millionaire who decided to do this. Given what a mess his family is I'm not sure what to think on his individual situation

Reactions: kjbert
After reading snotties post, I rest my case.
so the country is in worse shape today because the "masses" aren't as accepting of insults hurled towards trans? Im really perplexed as to why anyone would give a schit about an ESPN award that exists to make the company money. The discussion on both slides perplexed me because I honestly can't imagine watching the ESPY's in 2015. To each his own though.

This is a fantastic post.

Reactions: kjbert
No, not at al . We shouldn't insult people period. However, look at this exchange. One side goes offense and says the world is a better place because we're not hurling insults. Who is talking about hurling insults, certainly not me. I have no idea what to think. What people object to is the exact tone you are taking, if we don't share a certain point of view we ate wrong. One agenda is pushed with out any regard for questions.

Reactions: PeterN
What tone am I talking? You said the the PC movement is ruining the country and cited Caitlin Jenner winning an ESPY as proof and I'm trying to understand the impact? What is your agenda here that I am pushing out without regard for questions? My side is who gives a schit about who wins an ESPY. ESPN wanted ratings and gave it to someone that would deliver that. Is that shocking? I don't see it having any impact on the country at all but maybe thats me.

. This represents unchecked power to push a narrative that can destroy people if they don't follow these new "rules" being made up on the fly. It's not the act or words, it's that power and mobilization that can now occur to bring harm to people or causes that might not represent anything other than a point of view or opinion that one side doesn't agree with.

That's cyber-bullying or cyber-mob mentality. Jon Ronson's work has been discussed here in reference to this. It's important to separate that from the actual issue being discussed.

Personally, I have learned more about Transgender issues. However, I still have no clue what I think on the subject. Jenner is a 65 year old millionaire who decided to do this. Given what a mess his family is I'm not sure what to think on his individual situation

Solid post. Jenner is a douche, but douches can educate people and promote good ideas, while conspiring to make some $ unfortunately.

I never uttered such a thing. Please show me where I said the pc movement is ruinin LG the country? This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm pointing where and how the rush to be pc has real world consequences due to the power off social media eyc....it's not enough to simply say I don't know, which I ha e done here, we have to agree with said movement or agenda. You have taken two extremes that were never ed uttered in the ae of the moral high ground, I never said pc is ruining the country or its cool to insult anyone. You proved my exact point here

Your point is about the power of social media then.. not just the PC movement. How about the power of Yelp reviews to ruin a restaurant? The "doxing" that occurred with the gamergate thing. Or occurs in many other exmples. NFL insiders tweeting out players medical records. Twitter mobs for PC causes or for non-PC causes. Countless non PC examples of the real world impact social media can have.Thats certainly a discussion to have but its not just an issue of the "PC" crowd.

And you said this up top:
So that not your point of view its "peoples?" I'm confused.

I clearly state people. I believe we live in a great country and do not see it being ruined. I said it's dangerous, my words. There many dangers in the world but through understanding and honest discusoon many can be overcone. This is a prime example and one where if those who practiced the same tolerance they preached, the difference is rather obvious.

that misses a large part of the point
What's the large part that was missed?
That in light of that increased "public" nature of everything you do, you should probably err or the side of acceptance (or at least "no comment") until we allow people to have evolving opinions over time rather than roasting people as willy-nilly wish-washing flip floppers (in the John Kerry mold).

I am honestly pretty torn over political correctness. I feel like there are many words we shouldn't say. I haven't said the homosexual f word in years. Because when i hear that word i hear a lot of anger and hatred and it just seems wrong. I'd be lying if i said i haven't said the n word, but that is always within the lyrics of a song.

But being asked to say "non-disabled" when I don't think there is much of any hate for disabled people is where it becomes more about the people making these rules feel good about their righteous selves than it is about the marginalized group not being targeted with verbal hatred.

When i hear people say that political correctness is ruining this country though - I just don't get it. I think these people think they "tell it like it is" when we all see the same issues they do - the difference is they assign the cause of said problems to their superiority over the marginalized group, while the "politically correct" try to identify what causes the marginalization.

Basically, I don't get why being asked to be nice makes people so angry

You answered your own question in bold above.

agree but this is not about being held accountable for your own actions. That's part of the deal. See my initial post on the subject as it clearly lays out what I see as the broader and more important part of the rush to PC by social/mainstream (they are really one in the same now) media movement.

agree but this is not about being held accountable for your own actions. That's part of the deal. See my initial post on the subject as it clearly lays out what I see as the broader and more important part of the rush to PC by social/mainstream (they are really one in the same now) media movement.

What are you referring to?
This?
"You must accept one side of the discussion or you're some sort of bigot. May people smarter than me (with medical degrees) said it's mental illness. Is it? Did we have that discussion? That's a dangerous place to be IMO. One side assumes the moral high ground and everyone else is the caveman? I'm not sure that's a good thing in some cases. The masses or those pushing an agenda often get it wrong. However, we now have real world consequences if you don't conform and many times without the benefit of a real discussion."

I find the bolded pieces conflicting. You criticize the need for a binary discussion, then identify the masses as being wrong (or on the opposite side of that binary debate). Many people are not prepared to discuss or support their opinions/position, yet they share it publicly.

Read the rest, without benefit of a real discussion and not interested in a discussion. See bgranc above. Taking an extreme that was never part of the discussion and creating a complete strawman. That's not a discussion.

Read the rest, without benefit of a real discussion and not interested in a discussion. See bgranc above. Taking an extreme that was never part of the discussion and creating a complete strawman. That's not a discussion.

But this is Benchwarmery/4.6ery at its finest.

Perhaps this is the real reason why so many good to very good posters have been driven from the newsgroup.

I'd like to hear the thoughts on Rachel Dolezal. What do we make of her situation?

Have we invented a politically correct term for a white person who pretends that she is black?

The country has gone overboard with political correctness. At one time, the country wasn't sensitive enough to people's differences. The country moved to the opposite extreme where people are afraid to say anything because of fear of offending someone. It's refreshing to see Donald Trump say screw it and say what he wants. I think the pendulum has begun to swing the other way-it was inevitable.

Adp is making completely valid points and as usual ND plays the contrarian cheek just because it's his "thing". You can not agree with something without being a bigot. People can have values/opinions which lead them to disagree that something is acceptable, or even something that should be applauded without affecting the way they treat a person in said demographic. However, as adp alluded to, the culture today is that if you speak out against the position that the media/masses are pushing, you are a bigot and deserve a public stoning. Many clueless/uneducated people out there enjoy being offended and joining an angry mob on social media, decrying "shaming" while turning around and doing the exact samething to the target de jour. You can not agree with trasgender lifestyles while still being completely respectful of a Caitlyn Jenner's right to live the lifestyle that she see fit to live and her basic human dignity.

What extreme did I take? Anti ESPYs?

What I think is amazing is that Christians bear the brunt of the backlash for any perceived intolerance. You often will see Christians demonized by the LGBT bunch for being "intolerant". The irony of course is that they are demonizing an entire group and being "intolerant" themselves. What makes this more funny to me is that Islam probably hates and condemns the gay lifestyle more than Christianity does but we don't hear a peep about that because naturally our political correctness instructs us to tread lightly when it comes to that religion for fear we'll piss off more terrorists who will kill us. So instead the religion that doesn't cut people's heads off becomes the sole target of gay ire.

Adp is making completely valid points and as usual ND plays the contrarian cheek just because it's his "thing". You can not agree with something without being a bigot. People can have values/opinions which lead them to disagree that something is acceptable, or even something that should be applauded without affecting the way they treat a person in said demographic. However, as adp alluded to, the culture today is that if you speak out against the position that the media/masses are pushing, you are a bigot and deserve a public stoning. Many clueless/uneducated people out there enjoy being offended and joining an angry mob on social media, decrying "shaming" while turning around and doing the exact samething to the target de jour. You can not agree with trasgender lifestyles while still being completely respectful of a Caitlyn Jenner's right to live the lifestyle that she see fit to live and her basic human dignity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT