ADVERTISEMENT

Copa America

Burrs is a hopeless tool, who ragged on VU hoops for years, get real.

I'm the furthest thing from hopeless, homes. And I didn't rag on anything. Called everything the way I saw it, whether right or wrong, and have always been mostly pro-Nova hoops.

Now go uncover another conspiracy, D-head.

Love ur 76'er apology & fantasy moves & shakes talk.. Riveting stuff, loser. Lol

Love ur 76'er apology & fantasy moves & shakes talk.. Riveting stuff, loser. Lol

Fantasy talk? Shakes talk? Could you refresh my memory? Seriously, I'm lost.

You call people losers because they are fans of teams. I mean, really? Get a better grip.

There's shame in not getting a shot in the first half. Tons of shame. Wondo had a break, kicks it the absolute opposite direction to the Argentine forward, then drags Messi down five yards outside the box. What a turd.

Reactions: kjbert
I don't know shit about soccer but I'm gonna guess that free kick goal is not a normal type of shot for 99% of soccer players?

Bradley has been awful. His move to Toronto is a crime against US international soccer. He's been crap since leaving Europe.

bradley is pretty bad

best 'spell of possession' for amerikkka ends with his cheap giveaway

then the next time they're looking ok he takes a free kick quickly and pretty much passes it directly to funes mori

argentina was playing pinball in the box and once the u.s. finally clears it the first touch by an american goes 20 yards off the guy's shin

they're not as good as argentina

bradley is pretty bad

best 'spell of possession' for amerikkka ends with his cheap giveaway

then the next time they're looking ok he takes a free kick quickly and pretty much passes it directly to funes mori

argentina was playing pinball in the box and once the u.s. finally clears it the first touch by an american goes 20 yards off the guy's shin

they're not as good as argentina
The quality of play from all of the top US players who came back from Europe has declined immensely since their moves. You can't blame them for taking the money, but it's destroyed US on the international level.

Before the game I thought the USA losing 2-1 would be a good result. Ok, that didn't happen but they also lost to one of the best teams in the world. USA playing ARG with Messi is like ARG playing USA in basketball against LeBron.

Argentina definitely out hustled USA
Did they out muscle them too?

tumblr_li1buomVtM1qhog62o1_500.jpg

Argentina had 68% possession.
Argentina took 11 shots, 7 on goal.
USA took ZERO shots.
Argentina had 9 offsides calls - they were pressing with the ball all game. So much of the minimal US possession was given to them on these calls.
US earned one corner kick. That's almost impossible.

When Phil Martelli said "the gap is wide" it could have been referring to the gap between US soccer and the top flight countries in the world. Send leading coaches to Argentina, Brazil and Spain to learn first hand how the real contending programs operate.

The USMNT will NEVER win a major international trophy for the foreseeable future given the current state of affairs.

Why not? USA has done absolutely nothing of substance in any world tournament in its history. It's embarrassing -- and frankly it's typical/expected.
Either you have reasonable expectations and are embarrassed by the result last night, or you don't and last night was typical. Both typical and embarrassing implies you should adjust your expectations to a more realistic level. The US has roughly been at the same level in the last 15 years, last night was nothing new, therefore I wouldn't be embarrassed by it.

Before the game I thought the USA losing 2-1 would be a good result. Ok, that didn't happen but they also lost to one of the best teams in the world. USA playing ARG with Messi is like ARG playing USA in basketball against LeBron.
This. Some of these quotes are moronic. I actually thought a good result would be 2-0. This Argentina team beat the shit out of Belgium after they dominated us, Argentina did the same thing to Belgium.

Why not? USA has done absolutely nothing of substance in any world tournament in its history. It's embarrassing -- and frankly it's typical/expected.

USA soccer has been decent since 1990. They have qualified for every World Cup since then and have reached the knock-out round 4 times ('94, '02, 2010, 2014). Of course we will never be a world power where lacrosse is more popular than soccer, not to mention basketball, football, baseball and hockey.

Either you have reasonable expectations and are embarrassed by the result last night, or you don't and last night was typical. Both typical and embarrassing implies you should adjust your expectations to a more realistic level. The US has roughly been at the same level in the last 15 years, last night was nothing new, therefore I wouldn't be embarrassed by it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be an American and go into a tournament expecting to win. Plenty of $ and resources being devoted to a huge population. Yes, we don't have a history of playing soccer -- and our best athletes go to the MLB/NFL/NBA, but you would think we could win something. This country doesn't win, #Trumo2016

I don't think it's unreasonable to be an American and go into a tournament expecting to win. Plenty of $ and resources being devoted to a huge population. Yes, we don't have a history of playing soccer -- and our best athletes go to the MLB/NFL/NBA, but you would think we could win something. This country doesn't win, #Trumo2016
I mean I hope we win, and I think we've done well as underdogs in the past enough to have some hope, but to expect to win these things is an exercise in futility.

US Soccer needs to prevent MLS from bringing back American players. If that SoP kid ends up playing for the Union in a few years, something has gone terribly wrong.

I do not follow soccer too closely, but tune in for World Cup and some of these international tourneys with US in it. Even I knew that the US had no shot in this one, even on US soil. My only hope was that a little of the Houston/NRG magic from the NFC Villanova Wildcats would remain in the building for the US (enjoyed having a look back at the building), but too bad. US could have showed better, but were never going to win. Wouldn't have changed the outcome but losing Wood and Bedoya for the game hurt, they had provided some spark in earlier games, and Jones had been solid.

Bradley has been overrated for a long time IMO. Thought he had a bad WC 2014 overall too.

Messi goal on free kick was the best shot I've ever seen in soccer, setting aside the stakes (Germany WC winning goal was clutch, but not nearly the degree of difficulty). The way it was diving down into the back corner at the last second was ridiculous. Unstoppable.

Would think the US would be able to develop a better National team.......there's gotta be millions of kids playing soccer in this country; and I mean every week, all year around; indoors and outside. And strange as it seems, the US women seem to always be very competitive at all age levels; they also play almost every week year round, indoors in the winter. I know in the east, playing for Soccer Clubs is more prevalent and better competition than playing in high school, although most kids do both. College coaches and scouts attend just about every soccer tournament where teams play two or three games a day, both on saturday & sunday. My 14 year old daughter, playing for a club team, an ODP team (Olympic Development Program), has played up & down the East Coast as well as a 10 day trip to England with the ODP team. Going into her freshman year in HS, she is going to a week long summer camp in Gettysburg with her high school team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT