ADVERTISEMENT

Deflate-gate

bmoneynova

VUSports.com Legend
Oct 21, 2005
per Mort, NFL found that 11 of the balls used in the game this past Sunday were deflated by up to 2 pounds each

the Patriots are a vile organization.

DISCLAIMER: THIS DID NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME

Don't really understand the big deal here. The announcers in the packers/pats game openly said that Rodgers likes to overinflate his footballs above the rules but it's not the pats so no one cares about that.

Originally posted by selmore1:
Don't really understand the big deal here. The announcers in the packers/pats game openly said that Rodgers likes to overinflate his footballs above the rules but it's not the pats so no one cares about that.
the big deal is its cheating. if Rodgers does it too, then he cheated.

Reminds of the time the jets cried about someone filming their defensive coordinator on the sideline who was visible to everyone and claimed that was the only reason the patriots were any good.

People really care about this stuff while children are being raped by jopa's minions? Restore the wins! 409!!!

Look, the NFL is one step ahead of professional wrestling. Everyone is on steroids, rampant tampering, officials determining the outcomes of half the games.

Let's not go comparing this to amature athletics at academic institutions.

If you are a NFL purist or believe that there is some sacred NFL code, you are way off. This is no different than hulk hogan versus macho man at this point.

The irony here is that if Ball wasn't a NE/Brady nutsucker, then he'd be a pig in shit starting multiple threads about it on a daily basis. This type of controversy is the stuff he lives for when he dislikes the offender.

Wrong.

Go put a football outside in below freezing weather and then pick it up a few days later. The thing will be flat. Air decompressed in the cold. Called physics.

And the video taping of defensive coordinators is just hilarious because everyone can see them all game and I could just tape them in my ho pro just as easily.

Let me know when a scandal of real merit comes around. Let's not go comparing to enabling sexual misconduct

I kind of agree with you, but if you weren't a NE fan you'd be all over this. It's what you do. And said anything about comparing it to sexual misconduct? You've beaten plenty of worthless topics to death over the years.

Serious question here. Why doesn't the NFL just supply the balls? This way NFL people can properly fl them with air. Sounds simple enough to me.

This type of stuff actually makes me respect the patriots that much more.

With cheating like urban Meyer or calipari, any coach can hand a kid a bag of cash or have someone substitute take the sat for a recruit. With guys like JoPa and Fran dunphy, anyone can look the other way to sexual misconduct.

But the stuff that belichik is accused of doing is like Dr evil. Everyone is saying that deflating all the balls is just not logistically possible (good ny times article on this), but somehow bill pulled it off. With the ravens complaining about the substitutions, nobody is saying that they were illegal, just that he was super sneaky about. Heck, spygate is hilarious. Not only was he able to have someone sneak into a closed practice the week of the super bowl, but that person snuck in with a video camera and was there long enough and was all over enough of the stadium to come back with some meaningful footage.

I love it.

Jimmy "Cheater McSweatervest" Tressel applauds this type of blatant cheating.

Ball, you should go on record to condemn this. What's right is right.

They were underinflated by 2 PSI. How many PSIs are the balls usually inflated to? If it's 30, I say no big deal. If it's 8, then it's a big deal.

It was also 25 degrees out. It's called "shrinkage"

Hilarious that Ball is trying to defend another case of blatant cheating by his beloved Pats when only a few weeks ago he was besmirching the good name of ol Buckeye with his diatribes about OSU. Methinks someone owes someone a mea culpa.

Listen Billy B is a gr8* coach but his is a terrible human who will do anything to win. He helped sweep numerous transgressions of a meth addict serial killer under the rug to keep him on the field. I mean the guy was getting sued for shooting someone in the face even before we found out he was a ruthless killer yet Billy B had no problem playing him. But why should we be surprised? This guy basically stole 1M bucks from a dying man and ran out on a contract. He is a philanderer, a liar and a cheat. Again great coach but terrible man.

This deflategate nonsense is meaningless as it relates to the outcome of the game but it supports the pattern that Billy B thinks he is above the rules and will do anything to win.. when its on the right side of the rules its gamesmanship, but when its on the other side its cheating and there is no real difference to him.

I never thought much about spygate really impacting the pats wins but with the way the commissioner handled the ray rice situation and this latest transgression from an organization that does not care about the rules, you really have to wonder what was on those tapes. We also have heard how they tried to jam or steal teams wireless communications during the spygate timeframe... would not be surprised if those tapes showed more than we think. We know Kraft was a staunch defender of the commish and that the commish protects his friends.

NFL regulation balls are inflated to a pressure of between 12.5 and 13.5 psi. Gametime temp was 51 degrees not 25.

Originally posted by kjbert:

They were underinflated by 2 PSI. How many PSIs are the balls usually inflated to? If it's 30, I say no big deal. If it's 8, then it's a big deal.

It was also 25 degrees out. It's called "shrinkage"

12.5-13.5 psi I believe (google told me).

the ball would not deflate 2 lbs in a couple of hours. thats just silly to think that.

I haven't been following this, but did Luck or anyone else on the Colts complain about the balls during warmups, or relatively early on during the game? If not, non-story. Could have raised the issue and easily fixed. Otherwise, take your beating like a man and move on to next year.

Lol at equating this with secretly filming a team's practices during SB week and using that info. That warrants stripping of the SB win for anyone with a clue, and Goodell must have agreed since he destroyed the evidence to avoid further scandal. Even funnier to blame the victim there. Teams leave their secure practice facilities and practice at the SB site because the NFL wants everyone there all week for the publicity events, interviews, etc. Have you ever been to a NFL stadium? The Rams, Eagles, etc. were supposed to have brought enough people to secure all of the concourse entrances, suites, etc. where some Belichik lackey POS was holed up filiming? Ok. That was cheating and negates the close wins in each of those SBs.

Good luck to the Pats in going for their first non-asterisked SB in a couple weeks.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/sports/football/did-patriots-deflate-footballs-nfl-analyst-casts-doubt.html?_r=0&referrer=

not logistically possible [/URL]

Anyway, I remember as a kid growing up in new England going outside to shoot some basketballs in the cold January or February months. Balls would need to be filled with air every 30 minutes as the air would decompress and they wouldn't even bounce.

But at least this gives the JETS fans something to talk about during super bowl week!!!

Originally posted by lowry99:
I haven't been following this, but did Luck or anyone else on the Colts complain about the balls during warmups, or relatively early on during the game? If not, non-story. Could have raised the issue and easily fixed. Otherwise, take your beating like a man and move on to next year.

Lol at equating this with secretly filming a team's practices during SB week and using that info. That warrants stripping of the SB win for anyone with a clue, and Goodell must have agreed since he destroyed the evidence to avoid further scandal. Even funnier to blame the victim there. Teams leave their secure practice facilities and practice at the SB site because the NFL wants everyone there all week for the publicity events, interviews, etc. Have you ever been to a NFL stadium? The Rams, Eagles, etc. were supposed to have brought enough people to secure all of the concourse entrances, suites, etc. where some Belichik lackey POS was holed up filiming? Ok. That was cheating and negates the close wins in each of those SBs.

Good luck to the Pats in going for their first non-asterisked SB in a couple weeks.
each team brings ~12 balls to the game and the NFL supplies ~12 extra balls just in case from what I heard.

Luck would be using his own team's balls, not the Patriots balls.

This isn't 'nam. There are rules. Give the Patriots the death penalty!

The Colts use their own balls when on offense so they wouldn't know about the deflated balls during warmups.

D'Quell Jackson noticed the ball felt under inflated when he made the interception at the end of the 1st half. That's when they informed the NFL.

A lot of internet scientists are trying to prove that the cold would cause the balls to lose pressure but superior internet scientists are proving them wrong. The balls were over 1psi under and as mentioned the gametime temp was like 51*. The only way some dude on reddit could get it to work was if they were inflated in a 90 deg room before going outside into a 40 deg stadium. That would make the pressure drop about 1psi. It had to be intentional.

Originally posted by qwe015:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/sports/football/did-patriots-deflate-footballs-nfl-analyst-casts-doubt.html?_r=0&referrer=

not logistically possible [/URL]

Anyway, I remember as a kid growing up in new England going outside to shoot some basketballs in the cold January or February months. Balls would need to be filled with air every 30 minutes as the air would decompress and they wouldn't even bounce.

But at least this gives the JETS fans something to talk about during super bowl week!!!
Your ball had a leak; it wasn't the cold: http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2015/01/physicist_cold_weather_couldn_t_have_deflated_patriots_footballs.
I used to do the same thing and never once had to add air.

Originally posted by HereComeTheCats:
The Colts use their own balls when on offense so they wouldn't know about the deflated balls during warmups.

D'Quell Jackson noticed the ball felt under inflated when he made the interception at the end of the 1st half. That's when they informed the NFL.
So a Colts defensive back who handled the ball for less than a minute knew immediately that something was "off" with the balls that the Patriots supplied, yet the officials who handle the footballs after every single play couldn't tell that they felt different than the balls that the Colts were using?

Were they looking the other way or just incompetent?

qweef is lying. He was inside playing Dungeons and Dragons/Risk/Stratego by himself.

Starting game time temp was 51 degrees, probably into the 30's by the end of the game.

hqdefault.jpg

If you cheat and succeed, you are savvy.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by NorCalVU10:

Starting game time temp was 51 degrees, probably into the 30's by the end of the game.
It was 51 degrees in Niagara too.

Are people really trying to argue this wasn't intentional? Of course it was intentional... this is what the Pats do. Had no impact on the game but such is Billy B's hubris. Sounds like colts called the pats out for doing this in the regular season and they came back and did it again. Similar circumstance with spygate.

The commish will cover for his buddy Kraft again, issue some meaningless fine and life will go on. I wish we found out more about the wireless communications aspect of spygate that got swept under the rug as quick as those tapes got burned.

I look at this like knowing which players in hockey use illegal sticks. You know they use them but wait until you need an edge to call them out on it. What I want to know is what would have happened if they were caught mid-game? 15 yrd penalty? HC or Equipment Manager gets ejected or do they just swap out the balls and fine the team later?

Originally posted by HereComeTheCats:
I look at this like knowing which players in hockey use illegal sticks. You know they use them but wait until you need an edge to call them out on it. What I want to know is what would have happened if they were caught mid-game? 15 yrd penalty? HC or Equipment Manager gets ejected or do they just swap out the balls and fine the team later?
Refs looked at the ball coming out of the half and swapped it out. Nantz/Sims thought they had accidentally put a kicking ball out. If it was blatantly obvious, wouldn't that have been the moment in the game where something should have happened? Game didn't get out of hand until the second half.

Between one snap on offensive to the next how many non Patriot people touch the ball? Has to at least be 2 refs....the one who gets the ball from a player and then the one responsible for placing it for the snap. On the Patriots offensive side the ball would have been touched 152 times by people other than on the Patriots and no one thought something was up?

The Ravens say there was something wrong with the kicking balls they used. A kicker abuses the ball before it gets kicked, why wait until a week later. Reminds me a sheldon brown making comments after spygate.

So what is your suggestion.. the NFL is framing the pats with the 11 under inflated balls? The ref checks before the game and probably doesn't think about the PSI for the rest of the game. The Colts pointed it out and then the ref swapped out the ball. There is no in-game punishment according to the rules i saw which state:

If the home team - in this case, the Patriots - is found to have any balls that do not conform to specifications, the referee can get a proper ball from the visitors. "Any such circumstances must be reported to the commissioner," the N.F.L. rule book states.

The NFL is not framing the Patriots. Kraft, Goodell, and CBS give each other reach arounds every sunday. I find the whole situation odd. Why 11 out of 12? Why didn't anyone else notice prior to the interception? The game was still close at that point and once the refs were alerted the Patriots pounded the Colts.

No suggestion but it seems like Belichick got out Belichicked on this one. It probably could be called out on every game and probably on every team but Pagano decided to ruffle some feathers and do it in the AFC Championship.

with the amount of players/ex-players saying how commonplace ball doctoring was and the lack of outrage around the league it's really feeling like this is mostly a non-issue that is taking on a life of its own because it's the patriots, the villains of the league, and it makes great copy during a media dead zone in the two weeks leading to the super bowl. is this any different than pitchers scuffing the ball to get a better grip? yeah, technically it's against the rules, but so many guys do it - it's become a generally accepted practice.

Originally posted by bgranc02:
Hilarious that Ball is trying to defend another case of blatant cheating by his beloved Pats when only a few weeks ago he was besmirching the good name of ol Buckeye with his diatribes about OSU. Methinks someone owes someone a mea culpa.
Nicely done. Two b70 references in one sentence.

If underinflated footballs are that much easier to throw and catch, why not make that lesser psi the new standard so there's less bad throws and less dropped catches??
wink.r191677.gif

Allow Bellecheat & New England to play in the Super Bowl & then kick him out of da league.

Originally posted by AvalonFal:

If underinflated footballs are that much easier to throw and catch, why not make that lesser psi the new standard so there's less bad throws and less dropped catches??
wink.r191677.gif
What are dropped catches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT