ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles - LOL

Birds will comeback and win this game. Awful start but they are much better than they played in the 1st half.

You can't come out that flat in the 1st half on the road against a good offense and expect to win games. I am sick of hearing people say the Eagles should have gone for it on 4th down. You take the points. Parkey made a poor kick. Luckily Dez is out next week, the Eagles secondary needs to improve a lot.

Poor poor CoP'ers. Saw a lot of FB messages up with how excited they were. Hopefully they don't kill themselves over this loss.

How hot were the hot takes this morning on 610? Blistering or scolding?
Here's the breakdown of calls to WIP/WFAN:
25% - just the sound of people screaming and smashing everything in their 800 ft rowhome
25% - that's okay bro. In Chip's process we trust. 15-1.
49% - Mariota. Foles. Mariota. Foles. Mariota. Foles. McCoy. Mariota. Foles.
1% - still better than watching McNabb.

DeMarco Murray is asking to be sent back to Dallas where he got to carry the ball....and behind a O line that can block someone.

Penalties were killer last night too. They were deep in Falcons territory when Kelce got called for a hold on a screen pass. Would have been a shorter FG if not a TD instead of a 44 yard attempt. Also, the Alosno hold at the end of the 1st half which negated a fumble by Ryan. I believe the Falcons scored a TD on that drive, or at least a FG.

Penalties were killer last night too. They were deep in Falcons territory when Kelce got called for a hold on a screen pass. Would have been a shorter FG if not a TD instead of a 44 yard attempt. Also, the Alosno hold at the end of the 1st half which negated a fumble by Ryan. I believe the Falcons scored a TD on that drive, or at least a FG.
Interestingly enough I noticed a lot of holding penalties, even though I wasn't really paying attention to the game. Gruden said that was going to happen because of the high pace offense and the line getting tired.

Do you think this will happen throughout the season?

Interestingly enough I noticed a lot of holding penalties, even though I wasn't really paying attention to the game. Gruden said that was going to happen because of the high pace offense and the line getting tired.

Do you think this will happen throughout the season?
I think the refs called a tight game. Both teams had at lest 3 screens called back for holding penalties and there were some ticky tack defensive calls as as well. I think in general the refs tend to call more penalties earlier in the season and as the season moves along it goes down a little. I thought the refs overall were pretty bad, way too many flags.

I think the refs called a tight game. Both teams had at lest 3 screens called back for holding penalties and there were some ticky tack defensive calls as as well. I think in general the refs tend to call more penalties earlier in the season and as the season moves along it goes down a little. I thought the refs overall were pretty bad, way too many flags.
Sounds like a CoP excuse.

Nah - they were bad for both teams. The Falcons had at least 3 screens called back for holding or offensive PI. It just seemed like the refs were making a point of calling those penalties.
Fair enough, Gruden pointed it out, saying that the fast pace would make the line more tired and thus they would have to grab and hold other linemen.

I don't really watch the Eagles so I don't know it happened last year or not.

Bryce just hit another one. He's very good.

Thing that surprised me the most was the Birds O-line. Looked poor. IMO, their challenge will be in the defensive secondary. Huge fan of Chipper.. They sucked in the first half. If their kicker does his job the Birds escape with a win. Looked like a Reid coached team. My guess is they play much better in week 2 and continue to improve. I believe the Birds can win 11.

If the kicker does his no then the Falcons more than likely go down and answer. Bryant pretty much golden from 55 and in. That's why kicking the FG was the wrong move. Not every decision is cut and dry. You have to consider the nature of the game. They either needed a TD on that possession or lining up for FG with inside 45 seconds left.

The first down the Falcons got from their 7-yard line on 3rd-15 with a draw will a killer. Get a stop there and they probably win.

NFL seasons are rarely about how teams start the regular season. They're almost always about how they finish.

With Dez out about half the year the Eagles are the clear favorites to win this division. Dallas looked awful in that home victory. As TD favorites they werent supposed to need to get lucky to win at home. The Eagles were on the road and only a FG favorite. Losing as a 2.5-3 pt favorite isnt exactly shocking.

All this said, you cant start out a game that poorly. The Eagles still should've won it. But they didnt. And that's OK. Things started to jell in the 2nd half. But I'm worried about Andrew Gardner. He didnt look good at all. There's no proper reason for not having Evan Mathis on this team. No reason at all. The Falcons were killing the Eagles with stunts that entire first half, confusing the new guards and wreaking havoc in the backfield. The Eagles adjusted at halftime by transitioning exclusively to a short passing game which Atlanta was hopeless to stop. Then despite completing basically every pass in the 2nd half the Eagles decided to run Ryan Mathews on back to back plays and ultimately lost the game. No idea why they didnt keep passing. MMQB morons will say "you gotta run the ball more!". But trying to run the ball alot early is what got them in an early hole and then trying to run it late got them beat. Why wouldnt they keep throwing it when Atlanta was absolutely hopeless to stop the pass the whole half?! You think they were happy to see the Eagles stop passing in the most crucial moments of the game? You bet your ass they were happy. Sproles was destroying them in the 2H because their LB's were gassed and getting run ragged trying to keep up with him. The Eagles let them off the hook.

They'll get it back next week.

Another MMQB'ism: "Man that Byron Maxwell looked bad". Geez. You're surprised he had trouble containing the best WR in the NFL 1-on-1 with basically no safety help ever. When is Billy Davis gonna stop putting their corners on an island against elite WR's. Double the f*cking guy. Every play. Make someone else beat you. If they do, good for them. There's about 2 or 3 corners in the entire NFL who should be asked to try to cover Julio 1-on-1. Maxwell isnt one of them.

10 catches on 11 targets, 179 yards and a pass interference penalty. Couldn't have gotten shredded any worse.

Maxwell didn't give up all those catches. Julio was moved around in the formation a lot. He gave up enough tho. Just not all of them.

Didn't Maxwell also get beat "handily" by a washed-up Roddy White?

Eagles o-line in that game...

columbus_circle_turnstiles_flickr_nellies78

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT