ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles - LOL

NFL seasons are rarely about how teams start the regular season. They're almost always about how they finish.

With Dez out about half the year the Eagles are the clear favorites to win this division. Dallas looked awful in that home victory. As TD favorites they werent supposed to need to get lucky to win at home. The Eagles were on the road and only a FG favorite. Losing as a 2.5-3 pt favorite isnt exactly shocking.

All this said, you cant start out a game that poorly. The Eagles still should've won it. But they didnt. And that's OK. Things started to jell in the 2nd half. But I'm worried about Andrew Gardner. He didnt look good at all. There's no proper reason for not having Evan Mathis on this team. No reason at all. The Falcons were killing the Eagles with stunts that entire first half, confusing the new guards and wreaking havoc in the backfield. The Eagles adjusted at halftime by transitioning exclusively to a short passing game which Atlanta was hopeless to stop. Then despite completing basically every pass in the 2nd half the Eagles decided to run Ryan Mathews on back to back plays and ultimately lost the game. No idea why they didnt keep passing. MMQB morons will say "you gotta run the ball more!". But trying to run the ball alot early is what got them in an early hole and then trying to run it late got them beat. Why wouldnt they keep throwing it when Atlanta was absolutely hopeless to stop the pass the whole half?! You think they were happy to see the Eagles stop passing in the most crucial moments of the game? You bet your ass they were happy. Sproles was destroying them in the 2H because their LB's were gassed and getting run ragged trying to keep up with him. The Eagles let them off the hook.

They'll get it back next week.

agree 100% with this. nothing annoys me more than hearing people talk about running the ball more. at that point of the 2nd half Bradford completed 11 straight and 22 of his last 23 passes. only in the NFL would coaches successfully do something 11 straight times and 22 out of 23 and change it up in the most important possession of the game. NFL coaches and teams are obsessed with running the ball on 3rd and 4th and 1 or so. it's gotta be a macho i'm gonna shove it down your throat thing. it was dumb to run twice in a row especially with your essentially 3rd RB option.

Spg,

Let me know when you call 610 today. You'll fit right in with the others who are flipping out that a 2.5 pt favorite lost a game by 2 pts. Stunning stuff here.

Chip is what, 5'10? For a guy with no muscle mass who is that size there's no excuse for ever being above 190 lbs. I'm gonna guess he's about 230.

There's no proper reason for not having Evan Mathis on this team. No reason at all.

solid post, and not having Mathis is infuriating. Especially with the rate at which those guys get hurt anyway. In an offseason with a number of high risk "I'm smarter than you" decisions by Chip that made some sense and I could get behind (especially since I wasn't particularly enamored with Foles, especially in an outdoor, cold weather stadium, and thought McCoy lost a step not just bad OL play, and he was a bigger distraction given his success), would've been nice to not pile on things that netted you nothing in terms of long term cap relief or return.

Also didn't like the Boykin trade, though at least got something in return there. I know he apparently isn't playing for Pitts. so far, but can't help but think that he would've kept guys from ATL from running away from their man out of the slot early, and again later in the game. Never saw that with Boykin.

Chip needed to man up and bury the hatchet with those guys.

Great game by Bradford. Fumbles, interceptions in end zone, overthrowing every open receiver. Does he owe gamblers money? Looks like someone throwing a game.

U-G-L-Y, Eagles !!! I have more total rushing yards than DeMarco Murray as I sit here in my recliner.

Redskins could be the team to beat by default.

I may have to make a gallon tub of popcorn and listen to sports radio all day tomorrow. Should be epic.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Redskins could be the team to beat by default.

I may have to make a gallon tub of popcorn and listen to sports radio all day tomorrow. Should be epic.

I must admit. I may actually listen tmrw. It will be fantastic cliche radio. Looking forward to it.

8 wins undoubtedly wins this division.

Just said the same thing to a buddy of
Mine. Eagles and Giants 0-2 but both probably in better shape than Dallas without Romo and Dez. I'm not including the Redskins.... Yet.

% of teams historically that make the NFL playoffs after 0-2 start: 12%

I don't believe that Bradford has attempted a pass longer than 25 yards yet. Murray has had one (I believe) run longer than 5 yards in 2 games.

I streamed some WIP - Gold, Jerry, Gold.

Streamed WIP for a few minutes at work just for shits and giggles. Some guy from Fishtown has a plan to get the Pope to the Linc to bless the team and then perform an exorcism. What made this funnier is he was serious.

O line hasn't been good but that is a lame excuse. Bradford has been horrible. This reminded me of the Giants game a couple years ago, but at least it was Barkley in that game, not your "franchise QB".

All that being said, I'd rather be in the Eagles position over the Cowboys going forward. Eagles have to get better (I hope?) while it will be tough for the Cowboys without Romo and Bryant.

O line hasn't been good but that is a lame excuse. Bradford has been horrible. This reminded me of the Giants game a couple years ago, but at least it was Barkley in that game, not your "franchise QB".

All that being said, I'd rather be in the Eagles position over the Cowboys going forward. Eagles have to get better (I hope?) while it will be tough for the Cowboys without Romo and Bryant.
Is this a joke call from WIP or is this what you think?

Is this a joke call from WIP or is this what you think?
What I think. I don't see anything crazy in what I said? They have played poorly, especially Bradford. But it's only 2 games and with Romo and Bryant injured - mostly Romo - the Cowboys aren't going to be as good.

Bradford made some poor decisions "with the football" as the talking heads always say but not sure how you can say that blaming the offensive line is a lame excuse.

Murray literally had nowhere to run.

Bradford made some poor decisions "with the football" as the talking heads always say but not sure how you can say that blaming the offensive line is a lame excuse.

Murray literally had nowhere to run.
I understand, but coaching comes into play here too. Stop running a sweep play pulling your guards when they can't even block the guys in front of them. They said they same thing about the O line last year, blaming the unit for Foles happy feet and McCoy getting off to a slow start.

Maybe Kelly shouldn't have jettisoned 2 excellent offensive lineman?
Solid point, but I Mathis and Herremans were older and overrated at this point. Clearly better than what we have though. I think the mistake was not targeting O line help/depth in the draft. I am a Chip Kelly fan, I like how he does things differently. But maybe he should just stick to coaching. It's very rare for a guy to be an excellent head coach and an excellent personnel guy. Much more experienced NFL coaches than him have failed at it.

LOL @ saying you'd rather be in Philly's position than Dallas'
Why? Who do you think is in better position going forward? Obviously you would rather be 2-0, but look at the big picture here. Dallas lost one of the top 5 QB's in the league...you don't just replace that with a Brandon Weeden and keep rolling.

am a Chip Kelly fan, I like how he does things differently.
I've seen some make this point before about Chip. If the different is not exploiting some sort of inefficiencies of the opposition, is it better or just different?

always injured Sam has qb rankings of 65 in loss, plays
Like shite & you ask how Tebow could help? Hahahaha

I've seen some make this point before about Chip. If the different is not exploiting some sort of inefficiencies of the opposition, is it better or just different?
2 games this year is a small sample size. I think the numbers his offense has put up over the past 2 years speak for them self. It hasn't looked good this season and is magnified because it has been in back to back weeks against not the best Defenses. But it's not like even playoff teams don't struggle at some point throughout the season. As poorly as the Eagles have played, 1 play here or there in each game and they could be 2-0.

always injured Sam has qb rankings of 65 in loss, plays
Like shite & you ask how Tebow could help? Hahahaha
Yes, I do ask. If Bradford was going to get the hook, Sanchez was coming in. Chip likes doing wierd things, but putting his 3rd string QB in when his 2nd stringer is healthy isn't one of them.

When Tebow was on the Jets, they went 6-10.

Really not arguing that Tebow was the Eagles ultimate answer, but guy is a proven winner when allowed on the football field.

Jets w/ Ryan were a circus not a real football team.

Just think the Eagles are firmly on the wrong side of Karma, cutting him @ very end of preseason, when he played well.

Bradford is the Tin Man it looks like to me. Owing more thus far to his apparent lack of heart than outer physical condition, at least to this point. Something about the way he seemed real happy with himself and the team (he said as much) after the Falcons game bothered me--wanted to see him ticked off. After seeing his pi$$ poor performance yesterday, can see he did not have the right mindset. Can only hope he digs a little deeper now, and there's actually something there. Will be a lot of soul searching, have a full week this time to get $hit right.

On the offseason moves, cutting Mathis was flat out dumb, no other way to slice it. Guy had a year left on his deal at a reasonable number for a pro bowler, would've been motivated and in a contract year. Chip needed to sit down with him and clear the air. Too much hubris in cutting him apparently with little warning or effort to have a sit down.

I could understand letting Herremans go if the money wasn't right, if the goal was to get younger, which I figured it was. I believe his contract was up. Not bringing in any new younger lineman though makes it look worse.

Hated the Boykin trade as well and still do. Not as much of an issue yesterday, but he would've helped vs. ATL in containing some of the guys they had leaking out of the slot. Had a nice pass breakup in the end zone for Pitts yesterday (after all the Eagles apologists last week were saying "he can't even get on the field for the Steelers").

NFC East is hilariously bad right now, easily looks to be the worst I can remember in my 30 years of following it.

The Birds have time to turn it around because as noted above, the NFC East is not good. I still think they rebound and win the division.

Just think the Eagles are firmly on the wrong side of Karma, cutting him @ very end of preseason, when he played well.
Tim Tebow pacing the sidelines in sweats was not going to make this team 2-0. Bradford had an incredible preseason, and look how good of a harbinger that was.

Karma is real. Eagles F'd themselves when they cut Tebow, after he earned spot on team. Pretty much every fan I talk w/ is perplexed why he was not selected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT