ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles to Trade up to #1 to select Mariotta. Official

Ninetynine5.0

VUSports.com All-American
Mar 29, 2012
Looks like the Eagles want Mariotta and will trade up to get him. May even have to trade up twice. Amazing, some here think the kid is portending to be a huge bust, but the guy who these same people says is revolutionizing the game thinks he's worth taking a huge gamble on. Interesting

Going for it

it all depends on what is the asking price. im still ok with Foles. would rather see the brass build a team around him and see what he can do. he has a 46 to 17 TD to INT ratio (2.7 to 1) and has shown he can be a good QB. they need a wide receiver, a new secondary and some help on the O line.

somewhere Howie Roseman is hoping this all goes to sh*t.

Get er done Chipper!!! Jets at 6 would make sense. The kids will look great in the Mariota jerseys. They can replace the current Steeler 43's, after he retires. Must have one current hawaiian.

Wont make it to six. They are most likely going to have to get the #2.

Price is going to be real.

I'm hoping they trade with the Titans, the Titans should ask for three #1 picks, two #2's and two #3's. I wanted Winston for the Titans but it looks the Bucs will take him.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
Nick Foles is not a franchise QB.
Neither is Tannehill. Maybe, the Dolphins will trade up. Discuss.

Yea, I'm sure the Eagles are leaking they want this kid. Yawn. This is all being drummed up by others teams to hike up the price.

Trading their entire draft wouldn't be that bad. If it were last year that be like trading Jordan Matthews and 6 non-factors for Mariotta. I'd do that.

The fact this is "being leaked" so early on can only mean it's complete BS. The Eagles aren't going to tip their hand in January about a draft that's months away. No way this info comes from inside the Eagles. It's not how they ooperate.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

Tannehill is progressing. Foles is regressing.

not to mention Tannehill has one of the worst OLines while Foles has arguably the best.
This post was edited on 1/20 8:06 PM by bmoneynova

Originally posted by nardibynature123:

Don't get so defensive, it is unbecoming.
Not defensive. Gun to my head and I'd probably agree with B$. I'm just saying the Dolphins should get in the mix because neither is Tannehill. Discuss.

Originally posted by nardibynature123:

Don't get so defensive, it is unbecoming.
Not defensive. Gun to my head and I'd probably agree with B$. I'm just saying the Dolphins should get in the mix because neither is Tannehill. Discuss.
I think Tannehill is pretty good, very close to a franchise QB. As a long suffering Titans fan, I would be willing to take Foles and two #1 picks for the #2 pick.

Tannehill is progressing. Foles is regressing.

not to mention Tannehill has one of the worst OLines while Foles has arguably the best.
This post was edited on 1/20 8:06 PM by bmoneynova
So, playing less than a half of year because of injury, behind a makeshift OL, is regressing? Got it. Regardless, as an unbiased Eagles' fan I understand that Foles' ceiling is middle-of-the road. You can win with him if other parts of the team are very good. Probably not a franchise QB, just like Tannehill.

if the Dolphins have a good offseason, Tannehill will prove to be a franchise QB this year

again, progressed every year in the league. and thats WITH a crap OLine and a crap coach.

I like Tannehill. He continues to improve and if his game takes another step forward the Fish will have their first real QB since Dan Marino. Much higher ceiling than Nick, I cannot stretch the field, Foles.

Back to the topic. Mariota to the Birds is the only thing that makes sense. After watching that title game and seeing the fact he's a few years away in a pro system does Tennessee really want to waste the 2nd pick on him? Answer is no. They are simply trying to drive up the price. Chipper won't fall for it. Lots of smoke and mirrors. Winston's going 1, Mariota will drop and the Birds will come up and snag him. I'm thinking the Jets and 6 or maybe even the Skins at 5. They have loads of needs so would likely trade down for more assets.

There is really nothing to not 'fall for' if you are Chip Kelly. The price of moving form 20 to the top 5 is ALWAYS steep. If the Eagles choose to do this, it will be steep for them too. Not even poorly run teams give away top 5 picks.

Ryan Tannehill's ceiling is Joe Flacco. Is that a franchise QB? Maybe.

Nick Foles isn't Joe Flacco.

Last year the Bill's swapped picks and gave up number 1 this year to come up to 4 and get Watkins. Price has already been set. No one is doing a redskins RGIII deal for a guy who only fits one system right away. That's the Birds leverage if inclined to make a deal. Which was really part of my point when I was trolling the Birds fans with the silver lining thread.

Originally posted by adp98:
Last year the Bill's swapped picks and gave up number 1 this year to come up to 4 and get Watkins. Price has already been set. No one is doing a redskins RGIII deal for a guy who only fits one system right away. That's the Birds leverage if inclined to make a deal. Which was really part of my point when I was trolling the Birds fans with the silver lining thread.
The Bills went from #9 to #4 last year. That is a smallish jump. It's much further from #20 to #2 - which is going to far more costly based on history.

It's going to be interesting to follow as a few teams need a QB in the top ten, but they need more than just a QB, whereas the Eagles might believe they just need a QB. I guess this is why the NFL draft has turned into the event it is.

Why not just take a flyer on RGIII? When healthy, didn't he do what Mariotta does, but better?

Dmil agree. Point i'm making is I think he'll drop past 2. Tennessee doesn't want him and I don't see anyone else giving ip that much to get him. Howie learned what happens when you play poker with the Chipper. You lose.

Originally posted by kjbert:

Why not just take a flyer on RGIII? When healthy, didn't he do what Mariotta does, but better?
Mariota is built to last running around and taking hits. He's almost as big as Kaepernick. Griffin is closer to Vick's size. He also had a history of knee injuries before he even started getting dick whipped by NFL players.

If you're gonna run this sort of offense and plan to take off and run a good amount, you better be a big guy and able to absorb the contact. Mariota has that.

I look at it like this. Foles played poorly last year. Kelly knows that. It is evident that Foles really needs an A++ line giving him all day to throw like the year before. When the Eagles got banged up last yr and he didnt have that, he got happy feet and was exposed in many games, forcing things, making some terrible ill-advised throws. The problem with Foles in this offense is it's like putting unleaded gas in a Ferrari. Kelly literally has to throw out half his playbook when his QB is no threat to run with the ball. Do you know why Marshawn Lynch is so good? Because Russell Wilson sucks in half the defense every time they run the read. When Lynch scored the go-ahead TD it was because half the defense flowed toward Wilson, and Lynch ran 25 yds untouched on the counter. Think that play could ever happen with, say, Nick Foles QB'ing Seattle? Hells to the no. Imagine how good McCoy would look with not only a good offensive line, but a QB who is a threat to run 25 yds out the backdoor every time he runs a zone read. The amount of space it would give him would be ridiculous. Kelly knows this. He knows his offense is half as what it could be with the appropriate QB running it.

That said, the question is just how many 1st round picks the Eagles are gonna have to give up - and is there any way they can make this sort of deal without having to include the beast that is Fletcher Cox. I cant imagine being able to get up that high without giving up Cox. Teams are gonna demand him.

There is zero chance Fletcher Cox is going anywhere. He's worth a top 5 pick on his own.

the two are completely different players so I have no idea how you came to that conclusion?

the two are completely different players so I have no idea how you came to that conclusion?
Nick Foles' ceiling is nowhere near Joe Flacco. What don't you understand?

I believe b$ is referring to your Tannehil/Flacco comparison. Which, like he says are completely different players.

Also, Flacco is absolutely a franchise quarterback.

They probably have the two strongest deep arms in the league.

They probably have the two strongest deep arms in the league.
Tannehill does not have a great arm. He has an above average arm, but not great.

Tannehill can move well and Flacco is pretty immobile

they aren't really the same type of player whatsoever

I don't think Tannehill throws a great/accurate deep ball. I only know this from reading B$'s tweets over the last 3 years.

I've missed maybe one or two Tannehill starts over the last 3 seasons, and have watched pretty much the entirety of every game that I didn't miss (have the ticket and am also Fish lover like b$).

Tannehill might be 30th in the league in throwing the deep ball. He's terrible at the long ball. Worse than 30th, actually, because guys like Edelman have also thrown better deep balls in the past year. I will give him a bit of a pass on the fact that Mike Wallace is a WR that must have the ball thrown to him in stride and at least one yard clear of any defender. Mike Wallace does not go up and get balls as a Megatron, Dez Bryant, or other elite receiver would do.

However, overall he is pretty good. He is accurate on short and medium throws and he reads defenses decently enough. He also has good speed and athleticism, and is definitely near the top of the league in QBs having the ability to gain yards on the ground.

What he also does not have is an offensive line. It would be interesting to see him have that luxury to really see whether he has enough upside on things other than the long ball to consider him to be a franchise QB.

As b$ pointed out previously he has improved every year in the league, and actually improved a lot this past season. He has had an atrocious line in 2013 and a bad line in 2014. If B. Albert comes back healthy and they pick up a very good guard the line can actually be above average, so we will see what happens in 2015.

Cool. What I've learned here is that Tannehill gets a pass until MIA gets a good OL. You know because great/franchise QBs have never made poor OLs look better.

he doesn't get a pass...he doesn't need one.

he was very good this year WITH a shit OLine. he was the team MVP.

he doesn't get a pass...he doesn't need one.

he was very good this year WITH a shit OLine. he was the team MVP.
No one is saying he doesn't belong in the league. He's a middle of the road guy, like Foles. You can probably win with him if other parts of the team are good. Just don't expect him to carry you like a top tier guy can.

Tannehill was really good. He'd be a great fit in kelly's system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT