ADVERTISEMENT

Europe Trip

TheJoker203

Diaper Dandy
Aug 9, 2015
I am planning a trip to Europe for the end of this year (September/October). I am hoping to go for a few weeks and spend a few days in a variety of locations. I love sports, history, trying new foods, and drinking. I would consider myself able to get around in cities reasonably well.

Anyone have suggestions for 4-5 top places they have been in Europe?

I have already been to London, Paris, and Barcelona. In terms of languages, I only speak English and have an elementary proficiency in Spanish (can read signs and lightly converse). Also, keep in mind this would be 2-4 20 something guys going on the trip.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Honestly you can't go wrong with almost any major city. I've rarely heard of a bad experience and in those cases the visitors seemed to be the problem. With all that time i'd mix in some lesser known spots with more traditional ones. All about your group's preference and keeping morale high.

Reactions: TheJoker203
Take your pick: as Snottie says most are good. Maybe go to a soccer game, Oktoberfest, or look for other available events to hitch onto at a chosen location...
Rome
Budapest
Istanbul
Munich
Amsterdam
Krakow
Dublin

Have been to the following in the summertime, listed in basic order of enjoyment. Happy to provide any information that I can recall.

Munich
Barcelona
Dublin
Stockholm
Madrid
Prague
Ibiza
Benicassim
Reykjavik
Amsterdam
Budapest
Interlaken
Düsseldorf
Vienna
Gelsenkirchen

Last edited:
Stay off the trains

med_1411092603_1392814526_image.jpg

Have been to the following in the summertime, listed in basic order of enjoyment. Happy to provide any information that I can recall.

Munich
Barcelona
Dublin
Stockholm
Madrid
Prague
Ibiza
Beniccasim
Reykjavik
Amsterdam
Budapest
Interlaken
Düsseldorf
Vienna
Gelsenkirchen

Just watch this video to know what the butcher did in Europe

I am planning a trip to Europe for the end of this year (September/October). I am hoping to go for a few weeks and spend a few days in a variety of locations. I love sports, history, trying new foods, and drinking. I would consider myself able to get around in cities reasonably well.

Given those variables, I'd suggest some combination of:

• Budapest
  • Bratislava
  • Salzburg
  • Prague
  • Munich (Octoberfest)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheJoker203
Slightly derailing the thread, but I'm heading to London and Berlin next month for 10 days. Never been a big fan of horse racing, but checking out Ascot one day I'm there. I've heard Berlin is gr8, any tips for the city would be appreciated.

Slightly derailing the thread, but I'm heading to London and Berlin next month for 10 days. Never been a big fan of horse racing, but checking out Ascot one day I'm there. I've heard Berlin is gr8, any tips for the city would be appreciated.
Berlin is cool if you like disco clubs, I didn't care much for it. More of an Eberzzz place, if you want history there is some, but it was all rebuilt after 45.

If you need restaurants that are good, in London I can get you a list.

Berlin is cool if you like disco clubs, I didn't care much for it. More of an Eberzzz place, if you want history there is some, but it was all rebuilt after 45.

If you need restaurants that are good, in London I can get you a list.

My girlfriend is from London and I'm going with her. She owns an apartment there with her brother, they know the area pretty well. Please send over some good restaurants so I can sound like I did research on it.

• Borough Market on Saturday, though Friday much less crowded but also less traders...Monmouth coffee there is great as are the chorizo sandwiches
  • Hawksmoor or Goodman's for steaks
  • Spaniards Inn for Sunday roasts with great beer garden with Hampstead Heath nearby
  • White Horse Tavern (Sloany Pony) for great restaurant with huge beer selection on the green (Parson's Green) - may also do bbq outside
  • Hampstead High Street for great crepes from street vendor outside William IV pub
  • Oxo Tower near Victoria Embankment/Blackfriar's
  • Coq d' Argent at 1 Poultry near Bank station
  • Leadenhall Market along Bishopsgate
  • Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub
  • Brick Lane for curry
  • Ronnie Scott's for jazz and Bar Italia (open 24 hours)

• Borough Market on Saturday, though Friday much less crowded but also less traders...Monmouth coffee there is great as are the chorizo sandwiches
  • Spaniards Inn for Sunday roasts with great beer garden with Hampstead Heath nearby
  • White Horse Tavern (Sloany Pony) for great restaurant with huge beer selection on the green (Parson's Green) - may also do bbq outside
  • Hampstead High Street for great crepes from street vendor outside William IV pub
  • Brick Lane for curry
I heard the Sports Cafe closed, that was a gr8 place for college kids. Tuesday nights it was pound pints.

Reactions: tomjackleman
That place was great. From what I heard it did close but location is still a sports bar...Had great wings - Monday nights? - 20 for 5 or 10 quid...many memories there - Boone's walk-off HR, 'Nova vs. Kansas in snow storm and Scottie's shot vs. Pitt to name a few.

Not too far from there in Soho is Bodeans BBQ which usually has American sports and good food...

I have already been to London, Paris, and Barcelona. In terms of languages, I only speak English and have an elementary proficiency in Spanish (can read signs and lightly converse). Also, keep in mind this would be 2-4 20 something guys going on the trip.

Copenhagen is great and also departure point to the rest of Scandanavia
Munich a must since you'll be there for Octoberfest
Rome because of the countless things to see and the great food - a side trip to Florence is worthwhile
Bucharest - be sure to take a trip into the mountains of Transylvania. It looks exactly like the old Bela Lugosi Dracula movies

NBN is correct - the nightlife in Berlin is heavily centered around techno and deep house music. The club called "Berghain" is world-renowned but tough to get in to, especially for Americans. Clubs are open late - well through dawn. Check out Resident Advisor for shows. If you like any form of electronic music you can find it in Berlin like a bratwurst.

If not - with your girlfriend you can go to any neighborhood and find a good cafe with outdoor seating - they all serve Bier.

Berlin is pretty big and spread out so you have to pick your spots. I would say #1 go to Kreuzberg. It's a gritty East Berlin neighborhood where you get a good mix of everything thrown at you. The perfect place for day-drinking. There is a small musem there "of little things" that is great.

The Friedrichstrasse subway stop is worth going to just to see the architechture. There is good shopping there but the area is like 5th Ave. in NYC - crowded with lots of tourists.

The subway itself is easy to use (U-Bahn) - but their zonal system for tickets is a nighmare - go with day passes and remember to both buy and validate your ticket with the stamping machines. I found a great neighborhood last summer called Prenzlauer Berg - try the Bonanza coffee shop if you're around there. If you want to kill time the boat tours along the Spree river are fantastic (good food and drink served - additonal), and Museum Island is absolutely worth it as is the German Historical Museum.

Find the main drag Kurfurstendamm - lots of action there too.

Reactions: NovaNation1188
NBN is correct - the nightlife in Berlin is heavily centered around techno and deep house music. The club called "Berghain" is world-renowned but tough to get in to, especially for Americans. Clubs are open late - well through dawn. Check out Resident Advisor for shows. If you like any form of electronic music you can find it in Berlin like a bratwurst.

If not - with your girlfriend you can go to any neighborhood and find a good cafe with outdoor seating - they all serve Bier.

Berlin is pretty big and spread out so you have to pick your spots. I would say #1 go to Kreuzberg. It's a gritty East Berlin neighborhood where you get a good mix of everything thrown at you. The perfect place for day-drinking. There is a small musem there "of little things" that is great.

The Friedrichstrasse subway stop is worth going to just to see the architechture. There is good shopping there but the area is like 5th Ave. in NYC - crowded with lots of tourists.

The subway itself is easy to use (U-Bahn) - but their zonal system for tickets is a nighmare - go with day passes and remember to both buy and validate your ticket with the stamping machines. I found a great neighborhood last summer called Prenzlauer Berg - try the Bonanza coffee shop if you're around there. If you want to kill time the boat tours along the Spree river are fantastic (good food and drink served - additonal), and Museum Island is absolutely worth it as is the German Historical Museum.

Find the main drag Kurfurstendamm - lots of action there too.
Nardi "I guess I know something."

Reactions: NorCalVU10
  • Brick Lane for curry
I lived in Hampstead for three years. In addition to The Spaniards I highly recommend walking through Hampstead Heath which is about the same size as Central Park. There are a few other pubs at the edge of the Heath including Free Masons and Wells Tavern. Near the tube station is Holly Bush and The Flask. At the southern end of the Heath is Parliament Hill where you can see most of London. At the northern end is the Kenwood House where they have summer concerts. The Spaniards is nearby.
https://www.thespaniardshampstead.co.uk

Reactions: KrazyKat
I was looking at Budapest, but I heard that they are not too hospitable to tourists....something about difficulty validating train tickets and upcharging certain drinks at bars? Anyone have any experience with this?

I was looking at Budapest, but I heard that they are not too hospitable to tourists....something about difficulty validating train tickets and upcharging certain drinks at bars? Anyone have any experience with this?
No. Budapest was great had no problems whatsoever.

I second many of KK London refs and will add some nicer (but not over the top or too formal places)

In addition to Spaniards in Hampstead, the Holly Bush is a tremendous Sunday lunch (roast). (Just noticed the Duke of Hampstead, PeterN, mentioned it as well, he looked after Hampstead for some time, knows all up there)

The White Horse is a fantastic scene for 20 something's on a good weather Sat . . . Bluebird Cafe as well in Chelsea if your up for a touch more commercial backdrop of Kings road, same patron base in both though.

Borough Market is cool in a KOP Mall way as they have everything from tremendous to ehh and in between. Duke of York Saturday market is smaller but great variety and has fantastic people watching.

Ziani in Chelsea is a savvy move away from a traditional pub Subday lunch

The Orange in Pimlico or Grazing Goat in Maryelbone are great, "nicer", yet still traditional pubs.

Though in Chelsea, where most nice pubs and restaurants are bland culinary wise (but great scenery), traditional fare in nicer pub settings with great food is Cheyney Walk Braserie, Pigs Ear and Cross Keys. Builder Arms as well.

The Five Fields restaurant off Sloane Square if you want a budget breaker or special occasion dinner

Daquise in South Ken is excellent and not typical (polish)

Cinnamon Kitchen off bishopsgate for Indian, nicer than Brick Lane places if you want that otherwise Brick Lane has a million options.

The cheesesteak truck guy I frequent (Liberty cheesesteaks in Spitafields), a Prov College guy raised in Philly, is opening a Philly style dive bar in Soho this fall, you'll love that

Oh and if you like WWII history stuff, the Churchill War Rooms are a great visit.

Reactions: KrazyKat
For the multi city swing to try a variety of foods, diversity of sites experiences and yet be in cool places in the fall covering decent ground in a somewhat ordered fashion, I'd go (listing city near transportation hub first and maybe an alternative), thinking 2 days ish each over a couple weeks that time of year

Lisbon (or Faro/algarve)
Bilbao (or skip Spain since you have done Barca)
Provence (or Nice/Marseille)
Dubrovnik (or Split)
Budapest
Bratislava
Prague
Munich

Or starting from North:
Copenhagen or Stockholm
Munich
Prague
Budapest
Dubrovnik (or Split)
Florence
South France
Lisbon or southern Portugal

Edinburgh if you want to touch British isles

If you hone in on a region more can get deeper into next tier cities, like Strick suggested in eastern/Central Europe

In my opinion, Stockholm has the most beautiful girls in western Europe. The city is beautiful too. Dutch girls are also fantastic, so Amsterdam would be fun.
Spain tops the list of Europe for me. Went to Mallorca one September and the weather was perfect. Good nightlife too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT