ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones

sorry i get bored at work and just mess around. ill try and stop. i do love the show but wish her story would move more quickly. i get that it is showing she is slowly learning what it takes to be the queen.

i do love the Wildlings. what great characters. theyd rather die than kneel. thats the best line in all the show.

We dont kneel.

Dany is obviously just stupid. Definitely could use Tyrion's counsel. Marrying that dude is probably the most shortsighted decision anyone has made. Not sure how a well respected family man from Mereen is going to help win the Iron Throne.

Also, the entire sand snakes story has been butchered so badly. I haven't gotten there in the books, but just on TV its come off as so hokey. It needs a few things. 1)hotter sand snakes. 2) more Bron/Jamie just chilling.

I think Tyrion had the most insightful quote of the series 2 episodes ago. "then what".

tyrion is great, he really carried the show last season. the Price of Dorne was also a great character. brought so much life to the season. the scene in the cell when he decides to fight for Tyrion was remarkable dialogue.

The problem with this season is the TV writers had to go WAY off script from the books due to the books (4+) being very disconnected and slow moving. Seems to me the story starts to really fall apart once the TV writers get original ideas. The Dorne attack for/against the Lannister princess was horribly written, though the hired sword guy (name escapes me) is always funny. The idea that Jaime Lannister can fight with his wrong hand against skilled fighers is silly. The Sansa Stark consummation scene was weak from the standpoint that they were building her up to finally have courage to stand up for herself and control the situation...but that gets totally thrown out the window in that last scene. Would have been better to show her face as she is raped being completely stone-faced. Now I am sure someone will eventually kill the Bolton bastard, they really missed a good opportunity.

The problem with this season is the TV writers had to go WAY off script from the books due to the books (4+) being very disconnected and slow moving. Seems to me the story starts to really fall apart once the TV writers get original ideas. The Dorne attack for/against the Lannister princess was horribly written, though the hired sword guy (name escapes me) is always funny. The idea that Jaime Lannister can fight with his wrong hand against skilled fighers is silly. The Sansa Stark consummation scene was weak from the standpoint that they were building her up to finally have courage to stand up for herself and control the situation...but that gets totally thrown out the window in that last scene. Would have been better to show her face as she is raped being completely stone-faced. Now I am sure someone will eventually kill the Bolton bastard, they really missed a good opportunity.
I had no problem with the rape scene, because it had more to do with Theon than Sansa. I honestly thought that Theon was going to snap and kill Ramsay there, would not be shocked if it still happens before the end of the season. They devoted a lot of time to Ramsay/Theon - there has to be some kind of payoff.

I haven't read the books at all, but I have done some research about the characters and the history etc. It is all such fascinating stuff. George RR Marting looks like a f*cking creep, but the guy is a great story teller. I am sure he has teams working with him to make there is continuity in his books - but the fact that he keeps everything together and then merges storyline's is incredible. I would not be against reading the books someday, but who's got time for that? I do plan on rewatching the series from episode 1 over the summer once season 5 is over. The other day I rewatched episode 1 and picked up on so many things just that I never did (or would have). I have also be checking in on this guy's youtube channel - he breaks down the episodes and draws some stuff that have happened in the books. Pretty good stuff, it really helps understand the macro picture of what is going on.

Here is his link for Season 5 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=SPOIeYdZ3QczxGuSDE8NtOuthqbKFChC0q

remember this season doesnt even contain the little starks and the raven. one less story and its still can be confusing. i dont have the time to rewatch the season or read the books. i enjoy the show but i try not to dig to deeply into it after the hour is over each sunday night.

I read all 5 books from May 2013 to September 2013. I had amazon kindle on my ipad and my phone and would read it whenever i was looking at my phone instead of browsing twitter or playing solitaire. They look daunting, but it really is easy reading, especially after having the tv show to give you a name and a face for most of the main characters you encounter.

I'd say pickup book three and start reading it and see if you like it. Can't hurt - then you can finish 4 and 5 and not be just waiting until next spring again

I did audiobooks for all 5 which I listened on my commute. Took a little more than a month to finish each book, but it was a way to utilize the time

Anyone else have a feeling that Olly is going to do something that will piss pretty much everyone (that watches the show) off?

Who is Olly again? The wildling boy that Jon Snow has took in?

Mrs. Burrs told me that Jon Snow and the redhead are an item in real life.

Who is Olly again? The wildling boy that Jon Snow has took in?

Mrs. Burrs told me that Jon Snow and the redhead are an item in real life.
Yeah - I don't want to say much because maybe I picked something up that could be a spoiler.

Agreed - NorCal. Everytime he is on the screen it comes up. The way GoT operates it pretty much means it's going to happen.

Anyone who shows up in a "Previously on..." highlight is important. That kid has been all over those

Anyone who shows up in a "Previously on..." highlight is important. That kid has been all over those

I was going to mention how much these give away. They were straight up shoving valaryin steel down your through this week which you knew was going to come in to play. Its basically an outline for that weeks episode, way more than it need to.

Reactions: LoveBurger
The show has basically completed gone off track from what the books do. I'd say about 60% of the characters aren't where they physically are located in the books or are on completely different paths. Obviously this is happening due to the logical constraints of a 10 hour season vs books, but I'm saying this to preface my next few statements:

I don't think Olly will do anything. I think they're using Olly the same way they use Ramsey Bolton torturing/raping people - to prove a point. Great, we get it - Jon Snow is doing something unprecedented; you don't need to tell us every episode by showing innocent Olly question his motives. We get it, Ramsey is a psycho, you don't need to show rapes every episode. Plus, GRRM's writings never had this much obvious foreshadowing to a major event/murderer. If Olly does anything serious, the writers of the show are just further proving how poor they have been when they go off from the books. Olly literally isn't a character in the books.

Everything happening in Dorne is off the book path. The only good scene so far was the Sand Snake girl poisons strip teasing Bronn. The rest has looked like Hercules from 1997 on TBS. the storyline in Dorne is great in the books, and judging by how little content HBO has left to work with and Books 6 and 7 far from completion, HBO definitely could have slowed things down and dug into here more.

Not to mention a complete other storyline with Tyrion and a possible other key character which made up most of Book 5 and has been completely ignored. This is one of my favorite story lines from the books and completely changed the whole game in terms of "big theories".

I don't know what HBO is doing but they are absolutely running out of content unless the Spring 2016 Book is 2,500 pages and can sustain them until the 7th book.

Having said that, because the show has skipped so much, I finally feel it's permissible to share this theory with show watchers and not be majorly spoiling anything. Reading this fan theory last year completely changed my view on who's good and bad in GoT. You might see things you aren't familiar with but it appears the show will never go near them and even after reading the books I didn't remember most of these "hints"- guarantee this is the best GoT thing you will read - still, possible Spoilers: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

Not to mention, if Olly killed Jon a Snow it would be just like how Omar died in The Wire. I swear if this is their tactic it just shows how simple minded Benioff and D.B. Weiss really are. The longer the series goes on, the more I'm convinced they each read the books once, read some fan forums for a week, then realized they could cash in. They do have a good sense for weaving scenes from GRRM's first person viewpoints into a TV setting though, will give them credit for that.

Reread the books and tell me they don't foreshadow as much as the show. I Just got to the red wedding and every chapter leading up to it has basically dropped a hint that you would never notice If you werent rereading it, doing a book report, or knew what happened.

not saying anyone here has done it, but the WORST kind of GoT fans are the "THIS ISNT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOKS!!!" people.

who gives a shit. they are separate entities. enjoy them for what they are.

The show has basically completed gone off track from what the books do. I'd say about 60% of the characters aren't where they physically are located in the books or are on completely different paths. Obviously this is happening due to the logical constraints of a 10 hour season vs books, but I'm saying this to preface my next few statements:

I don't think Olly will do anything. I think they're using Olly the same way they use Ramsey Bolton torturing/raping people - to prove a point. Great, we get it - Jon Snow is doing something unprecedented; you don't need to tell us every episode by showing innocent Olly question his motives. We get it, Ramsey is a psycho, you don't need to show rapes every episode. Plus, GRRM's writings never had this much obvious foreshadowing to a major event/murderer. If Olly does anything serious, the writers of the show are just further proving how poor they have been when they go off from the books. Olly literally isn't a character in the books.

Everything happening in Dorne is off the book path. The only good scene so far was the Sand Snake girl poisons strip teasing Bronn. The rest has looked like Hercules from 1997 on TBS. the storyline in Dorne is great in the books, and judging by how little content HBO has left to work with and Books 6 and 7 far from completion, HBO definitely could have slowed things down and dug into here more.

Not to mention a complete other storyline with Tyrion and a possible other key character which made up most of Book 5 and has been completely ignored. This is one of my favorite story lines from the books and completely changed the whole game in terms of "big theories".

I don't know what HBO is doing but they are absolutely running out of content unless the Spring 2016 Book is 2,500 pages and can sustain them until the 7th book.

Having said that, because the show has skipped so much, I finally feel it's permissible to share this theory with show watchers and not be majorly spoiling anything. Reading this fan theory last year completely changed my view on who's good and bad in GoT. You might see things you aren't familiar with but it appears the show will never go near them and even after reading the books I didn't remember most of these "hints"- guarantee this is the best GoT thing you will read - still, possible Spoilers: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/
I assume you are talking about the young Griff story line? They didn't ignore it completely, just merged it into others storylines like Jorah's.

The HBO series is only supposed to run for 7 seasons. Next season they will go forth into uncharted territory and finish before the books. It's like GRRM told a long joke, and someone else is going to deliver the punchline.

Reread the books and tell me they don't foreshadow as much as the show. I Just got to the red wedding and every chapter leading up to it has basically dropped a hint that you would never notice If you werent rereading it, doing a book report, or knew what happened.

Yeah exactly - in hindsight it's predictable, which is fine, but if they're using Olly as a killer it's just stupid with the two long convos basically painting him as a killer. I'd hope there is more nuance than that

not saying anyone here has done it, but the WORST kind of GoT fans are the "THIS ISNT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOKS!!!" people.

who gives a shit. they are separate entities. enjoy them for what they are.

I completely agree with you. The problem I had is the Dorne stuff hasn't been good and the Sansa stuff hasn't been good. However, Jon wasn't supposed to be at that battle and it was a great scene. Sam isn't supposed to still be at the Wall, but it makes just as much sense that he stays there and they're portraying it well. So "it goes both ways" and the show is capable of wowing you in ways the books can't.

The show is what got me into the books, of course I love it. I think fans of both the show and the book have been a little let down by Dorne though.

And 2002, sure, Jorah/Tyrion have taken the path of Young Griff in a sense. But where is Young Griff? And the entire plausible history behind him? That's just cool stuff that I want to be able to discuss with strictly show watchers. Victarion? Another badass character we're missing. I'd rather see some new faces than more Brienne of Tarth

Dorne has just been terribly executed, which is unfortunate given how good Jamie/Bron have been as companions on other journeys (from an entertainment standpoint). But what has made it so bad is:

1. Sand snakes are terrible actresses with terrible accents.
2. The Jamie/Bron journey was hurried.
3. The fight seen was ridiculously corny.
4. Everything else.

I have no problem with them combining /cutting out characters. There is an ability to introduce new characters in the books that you just cant do on TV. Just look at how poorly the introduction of the sand snakes was done. We have reached a point in the show where any new character has become burdensome (see Kevan)

I'm with ya. Kevan would be burdensome to develop now, but the info Varys gives in his scenes wouldnt be - the beauty is Varys can still give said info.

The point of my original post and calling out the differences between the books and the show is that it seems clear certain things won't be touched on HBO, so it's okay to share the spoilers in that link with just show watchers. I found that link to be just as interesting as any chapter in the book - let me know what you guys think of the theory there

You only have so much budget. You don't get the straight up awesomeness of last week's episode without cutting corners a bit in other scenes. Did the same thing a couple seasons ago when the old Dario and a couple other dudes were trapped in the city they'd infiltrated for dhaenarys and they didn't show the fight to escape just them showing up at her basecamp outside the city.

Not to mention, if Olly killed Jon a Snow it would be just like how Omar died in The Wire. I swear if this is their tactic it just shows how simple minded Benioff and D.B. Weiss really are. The longer the series goes on, the more I'm convinced they each read the books once, read some fan forums for a week, then realized they could cash in. They do have a good sense for weaving scenes from GRRM's first person viewpoints into a TV setting though, will give them credit for that.
Hard to believe Olly would kill Jon Snow if this theory is true, which seems likely.

Hard to believe Olly would kill Jon Snow if this theory is true, which seems likely.

If he is killed, I don't think he'll be dead for long. The actor is signed on through season 7 and he is obviously a huge part of the storyline. I could see Melisandre or even the Night's King bringing him back to life.

The bigger questions is who is Azor Ahai? Jon or Dany? Both? Are prophecies real? What about the Maesters in the Citadel? What is Sam learning that is going to be so crucial? What about Littlefinger - why would GRRM build a character who goes from nothing to great power just to have it all be about Dany and Jon?

Lots of places to go with the story. Last 2 seasons and books should be amazing. That first season was basically perfect TV - expect the same from the last

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT