ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones

What happened last night?

Everyone's talking about something "awful" that happened.

it was pretty shocking. i havent read any of the books so i never know whats coming. the fight scene's at the end were good but the "awful" event was as bad as it gets for me. really had a hard time watching it after that.

Stannis sacrificed his young daughter.

I missed why. Who can explain this? And was that the same as the books? Just curious.,,

There were a few pretty crazy things that happened but i'm sure you've heard people discussing this:
Stannis, at the suggestion of the Melisandre, burned his daughter Shireen at the stake (the one with the grayscaled face) as a sacrifice to the gods hoping for warmer weather. It wasn't graphic but the screams she let out were horrible.

Stannis sacrificed his young daughter.

I missed why. Who can explain this? And was that the same as the books? Just curious.,,
Not in the books as far as I can tell, although there was something I read today that said GRRM confirms this happens in the future but just has not been included in a book that has been published yet.

Stannis sacrificed his daughter at the behest of Melisandre. She (and I assume her religion) believe the blood of King's has special power and can be used to help Stannis win the war. Basically it was done because Stannis' army was suffering in the cold and after Ramsay and his 20 men burned their supplies, horses, and food Stannis thought he had no choice but to have Melisandre use her magic to help him take Winterfell.

Stannis also mentioned that Jon Snow was not there so they had to use someone else with Kings blood.

Burrs maybe you can do a spoiler alert for the day after just so those who havent seen it yet have a chance to watch.

Not in the books as far as I can tell, although there was something I read today that said GRRM confirms this happens in the future but just has not been included in a book that has been published yet.

Stannis sacrificed his daughter at the behest of Melisandre. She (and I assume her religion) believe the blood of King's has special power and can be used to help Stannis win the war. Basically it was done because Stannis' army was suffering in the cold and after Ramsay and his 20 men burned their supplies, horses, and food Stannis thought he had no choice but to have Melisandre use her magic to help him take Winterfell.

This is what I figured. Just wanted to make sure. I always watch it twice. The On Demand ones give a nice synopsis at the end of each episode.

That's on you. Why would you click into this thread if you haven't watched the episode yet?

Yea, I wasn't trying to ruin it, but I just figured people who haven't seen the show wouldn't enter this thread today.

A few weeks ago I had to catch up to the May episodes, so I avoided this thread because I didn't want any spoilers. Then, after I caught up, it turns out the only thing I missed in the thread were the posts about which was the hottest GoT character.

This is what I figured. Just wanted to make sure. I always watch it twice. The On Demand ones give a nice synopsis at the end of each episode.
Agreed. I love how it's On Demand at the same time the show airs on HBO. I always watch it On Demand so I can catch the producers take on each episode.

I enjoy the AV Club recaps of every episode also. They write two versions. One for people who have read the books and one for those who haven't. They always pick up something I missed and do a good job of connecting things that happened in previous episodes / seasons.

what the predictions for the finale? if you read the books please do not spoil.

my best guesses

1) Jon Snow - I cant see the Wildling/Nightswatch peace working out. Has to be some sort of fight scene.
2) Stannis - attacks the North and wins
3) Danny - leaves the city with Tyrion , Jorah and her soon to be husband the guy who she was sleeping with.
4) Sansa - kills Ramsey after Stannis' victory
5) Lannisters - no idea.

Show has basically caught up to the books. One bigger thing remaining - a few rather predictable things remaining. I'm wondering what will happen to Tyrion and the rest Dany flew away from... Tyrion is and always has been my favorite character

The "scenes from next week" showed the guys she left in the fighting pit safe and sound back at the palace.

You have to be kidding me, having a hard time stomaching the burning of Stanis' daughter. It's an f'ing show about a place that is like the middle ages except w magic and dragons. You're a real gash if fantasy TV affects you like that.

I watched late Sunday night and am still finding the killing the daughter thing to be disturbing. Having her beg for her life and plead to her parents, showing them, etc. and the rest of how it was protrayed, and a couple weeks earlier him telling her about how he saver her life... sick and disturbing $hit whether made up fantasy with dragons or not.

The second half of the episode in Mereen was great but agree was hard to watch after that. Thought the Mereen fight scenes were better than the White Walker battle the prior weeks which seemed too much like a Nintendo game to me. Still, was unrealistic though. The Unsullied must run the worst security detail in the history of the show. How do you let hundreds of people in with what appear to be big metal masks and not know something's up? And how can all those people with weapons get so close to the queen?

I believe from looking at the background though that it appeared the Unsullied were bringing things under control at the end after the dragon burned half of the Harpies.

didnt realize Robert had so many bastards. guy got around.

the burning of the little girl was awful. tv show or not that had to disturb you.

I think the take away is that Shireen is a great actress! Nice job scarring us all for life 10 year old

Believe he might have been talking about gendry, Roberts bastard who is at castle black.

Gendry was put on a little boat by Davos to escape Dragonstone after the leech incident (last we saw him in the show)

In the book he is last mentioned being in the riverlands.. Maybe searching for Beric and Thoros? I'm not sure. Plausible destination from Dragonstone though - would be cool if he came back somehow

are the books hard to follow? it seems like show has removed a lot of the characters and is now only focusing on a few storylines. the young starks are not in the this season and Arya and Sansa are only mildly in this season. im hoping from something good from Sansa in the finale.

Gendry was put on a little boat by Davos to escape Dragonstone after the leech incident (last we saw him in the show)

In the book he is last mentioned being in the riverlands.. Maybe searching for Beric and Thoros? I'm not sure. Plausible destination from Dragonstone though - would be cool if he came back somehow
The show combined the Gendry and Eadric Storm characters. Gendry joins up with Beric Dundarion's rebels, and Eadric Storm is the one that Davos rescues from Dragonstone and sends off to Essos somewhere. At this point, neither may be important, so I didn't mind them merging the characters.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
The show combined the Gendry and Eadric Storm characters. Gendry joins up with Beric Dundarion's rebels, and Eadric Storm is the one that Davos rescues from Dragonstone and sends off to Essos somewhere. At this point, neither may be important, so I didn't mind them merging the characters.

Nice catch I never caught on to that

are the books hard to follow? it seems like show has removed a lot of the characters and is now only focusing on a few storylines. the young starks are not in the this season and Arya and Sansa are only mildly in this season. im hoping from something good from Sansa in the finale.

I wouldn't say hard to follow but almost 2 years removed from reading them I have forgotten a lot of details and minor character names. I probably went through them too fast just trying to finish them quickly though.

As for Bran/the children of the forest storyline - season 4 took us basically as far as that storyline goes in the books so you're all caught up there. For the characters which ARE in the show, they have done a pretty impressive job covering the major story archs.

Of course, there are merged characters/plots (Sansa/Jeyne Pool, Tyrion & Jorah/ Jon Connington, The Citadel/Sam, Gendry/Eadric, Arianne Martell/Sand Snakes/Jamie&Bronn, etc.) but things are pretty clear otherwise. I'd say the biggest thing the books do is talk about the past centuries and meaning behind things more. The good news is now that the show will be caught up after this Sunday, you have no reason to fear looking up anything "historical" online (if you don't intend on reading at some point)

so how long is the gap going to be before the next season if the books arent done yet? are we talking Sopranos two years hiatus?

The show is not waiting for the books. They know, it some form, how it ends. As has already mentioned, they have started doing things on there own beyond just trimming the fat from the books. Its assumed that GRRM thought they would wait for him, but that is not the case, and now I think he is bitter that they are taking over. I think GRRM recently announced that the 6th book will be out early 2016.

GRRM is probably making a killing from HBO, no reason to be bitter.

Agreed, but when your life's work has been devoted to telling this story (and creating an entirely new world), not being able tell the ending your way first would kind of suck (but at least he's profiting off it). Could definitely see how someone could be bitter. Also GRRM has to be screwed up in the head. Reading some of his writing can be extremely creepy.

Editors note: he gets $15MM/year from HBO.

I wonder which character GRRM identifies with most? I see him as some combination of Varys, Littlefinger, and Ramsay

$15MM per year! in your face all the kids from High School that made fun of him for playing Magic the gathering in his basement.

$15MM per year! in your face all the kids from High School that made fun of him for playing Magic the gathering in his basement.

If only this had happened 20 years ago when he still had a functioning body and be could have bagged a manic pixie dream girl or two

Agreed, but when your life's work has been devoted to telling this story (and creating an entirely new world), not being able tell the ending your way first would kind of suck (but at least he's profiting off it). Could definitely see how someone could be bitter. Also GRRM has to be screwed up in the head. Reading some of his writing can be extremely creepy.

Editors note: he gets $15MM/year from HBO.
He may get $15m a year, but I have to believe that the series probably tripled his book sales due to the exposure. I'd be interested to see that number.

Just read an interview with him that says that story's not really true and as far as he's been told he's done on the show.

It's left more open in the book apparently but they told him he's done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT