ADVERTISEMENT

Hamels

At what point does a world series win in 2008 stop justifying all of the bad decisions the team has made over the past 7 years?

It doesn't justify anything. Bad decisions can be criticized.

And not a lot of bad decisions from 09-11. So, it's been about 4 years. Not seven.

And not a lot of bad decisions from 09-11. So, it's been about 4 years. Not seven.

Trading Lee in 2009
Keeping Jamie Moyer
Huge extension for Howard in 2010
Cutting Brandon Moss because he can't hit in 2011
Signing Papelbon in 2011
No draft picks of any consequence

Nah, not alot of bad decisions anywhere in that time period.

It doesn't justify anything. Bad decisions can be criticized.

You are basically saying "Yeah, who cares if other teams develop latin american talent, the Phils won a world series over half a decade ago and the Dodgers havent." Dont you see the fault in your logic?

Trading Lee in 2009
Keeping Jamie Moyer
Signing Papelbon in 2011

Don't forget hunter pence!

Don't forget hunter pence!

Left him off because technically the awful trade shipping him out was 2012. You can make the argument that trading for him in 2011 was just as bad but since no one given up for him has amounted to anything, I'll leave it off the list for now.

You are basically saying "Yeah, who cares if other teams develop latin american talent, the Phils won a world series over half a decade ago and the Dodgers havent." Dont you see the fault in your logic?

No, that's not my logic. It has nothing to do with the Phillies. Simply saying for being fairly successful in finding quality players in that part of the world that it hasn't translated to a WS title. One has never won and the other was 27 years ago. Simple facts.

Burrs' positions on organizational talent acquisition are not consistent across sports. A baseball franchise doing a sh*t job in Latin America is like if Sam Hinkie never traded for picks.

Because each sport is different. I don't view them as equal.

And I said the Phillies haven't been good with that part of it.

Trading Lee in 2009
Keeping Jamie Moyer
Signing Papelbon in 2011

292 wins from 2009-2012, nearly 100 games over .500.

Yawn

The Phillies' front office moves from 2009-2012 sucked as$. Almost every one was either a financial disaster or another nail in the coffin of a pretty successful era. It's mind blowing that someone thinks differently.

292 wins from 2009-2012, nearly 100 games over .500.

Yawn
You said not alot of bad decisions made in 2009-2012. I was pointing out how wrong that statement was and in fact most of those moves are why they suck today. Just like being nearly 100 games over .500 during that time frame was due mostly to the moves made in the preceding 5 years before that run.

You said not alot of bad decisions made in 2009-2012. I was pointing out how wrong that statement was and in fact most of those moves are why they suck today. Just like being nearly 100 games over .500 during that time frame was due mostly to the moves made in the preceding 5 years before that run.

It should of read 09-11, like I said in the initial post. Yes, they made bad decisions during that time, but they won a lot of games, made the WS, and the playoffs all three years. So, obviously some good decisions happened, too.

The Phillies' front office moves from 2009-2012 sucked as$. Almost every one was either a financial disaster or another nail in the coffin of a pretty successful era. It's mind blowing that Burrs thinks differently.

Burrs does recognize that bad moves/decisions were made during that time. I also understand that they are paying for some of these decesions today. I also recognized that they were one of the best teams in baseball from 09-11. I also recognize that only four different teams have won a WS since the Phillies in '08. Therefore, I recognize that a lot of teams have been doing things wrong since that time.

It really must be nice to live in that revisionist world that some of you live in.

Last edited:
Recent comments from Jim Bowden when asked what will be the most impactful trade before deadline.

I'll paraphrase....

Cole Hamels. He's the best pitcher on the market and has postseason success. He's a top of the rotation arm. The price for him is going to be a lot. And it should be a lot because he'll be in control for another 4 years.

Just read that the Astros are still in on Hamels despite the acquisition of Kazmir (per Crasnick). I believe the quote was, "They're making a big push"

The next few days should be interesting.

Recent comments from Jim Bowden when asked what will be the most impactful trade before deadline.

I'll paraphrase....

Cole Hamels. He's the best pitcher on the market and has postseason success. He's a top of the rotation arm. The price for him is going to be a lot. And it should be a lot because he'll be in control for another 4 years.

Just read that the Astros are still in on Hamels despite the acquisition of Kazmir (per Crasnick). I believe the quote was, "They're making a big push"

The next few days should be interesting.

He'd never waive his no trade to go there. Who are the Astros offering? the same slop back they got for Hunter Pence?

He'd never waive his no trade to go there. Who are the Astros offering? the same slop back they got for Hunter Pence?

Probably not. Not sure on offer. But he shouldn't talk about playing for a team with a chance tonsil and then shoot down a chance to pitch for a team that will probably make playoffs.

He won't go to HOU, but has Texas on his list? Remember, at time of contract the Astros were winning 55 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT