ADVERTISEMENT

Harvey vs Hamels Friday night

I can't watch this team anymore with the crap starting pitching they have. Their offense is terrible, but it's hard when you are always down early in the game. It seems like every batter they walk comes around to score. It's going to be a loooooong summer with shit baseball like this. I hope that Franco can bring some excitement to the team, they really need it. I can't even convince anyone to go down to the game tonight to see Hamels pitch. At least he is worth a cheap ticket on stubhub.
There are a lot of gas cans in that rotation, agreed.

Billingsley has been getting lit up.

I can't watch this team anymore with the crap starting pitching they have.

The rotation is Hamels and an unexciting patchwork of never-have-beens and never-will-bes. But look at the crap they had in 2007 & 2008. In 2007, Eaton, Moyer, Lohse and Lieber all started 90 games combined and not one of them had an ERA under 4.7.

This franchise is not a contender because of long term farm system decay, particularly of positions players. Deficiencies in domestic scouting, international scouting, drafting, player development. Sure, the Phillies are run by an ancient stodgy ownership group that limits a GM. However, the two previous GMs succeeded in the two areas where Amaro has failed miserably: drafting/development (Wade - drafted the entire core of a 5 time division winner) and savvy difference-making acquisitions (Gillick - Werth, Victorino, Feliz, Blanton, etc turned 80-something win teams to 90-something wins).

i know there are no expectations Burrs. but this is not a major league team. the only brightspot will be watching Franco play from June 1 through season end.

i went to reading a few times two years ago to see him play. he hits the ball hard everytime and should be a productive major leaguer.

reading is a great great place if you never been. the park and concession area has been redone. very family friendly and affordable.

If this were a team with no ownership, playing in an abndomed football stadium and no one showed up you'd be killing their fans. And this team didn't have a. 100+ years of history in the given city. Way to stay consistent.

adp who is that directed at?
tumblr_n865vdE7P91rdzuduo1_500.jpg

Any CoPers who made the tired, lame arguments around the rules of fandom.

The Memorial Day NL East title that the Mets have been striving for and once a virtual certainty, now looking very tenuous with the Nats' juggernaut bearing down and Mets reverting to the mean. Only a Strasburg start can stop that thing, and have to figure they'll put him on the shelf soon.

And the whole "Mets own New York this year" thing has even lost traction with the Yankees resurgence.

But the two wildcards in play these days hopefully will keep Mets fans from returning to their traditional second half paper bag helmets.

Billingsley has been getting lit up.

Who was that idiot "stats guy" on here that would argue incessantly about baseball?; I also remember him saying that Billingsley was a "guaranteed future HOFer" early on with the Dodgers.

the only brightspot will be watching Franco play from June 1 through season end

Just picked him up in Fantasy. Do you think he's worth starting right out of the gate?

Who was that idiot "stats guy" on here that would argue incessantly about baseball?; I also remember him saying that Billingsley was a "guaranteed future HOFer" early on with the Dodgers.
matthew1286 or something like that?

Any CoPers who made the tired, lame arguments around the rules of fandom.

If I was you then I'd be finding anew team right about now. You take the good with the bad. I spent many a season watching awful teams playing in front of 17K at the Vet. When ownership didn't spend money. Enough with the excuses.

If I was you then I'd be finding anew team right about now. You take the good with the bad. I spent many a season watching awful teams playing in front of 17K at the Vet. When ownership didn't spend money. Enough with the excuses.

Specifically why? Things look great. Young core, loads of pitching, young talent, good system, most wealthy owners in baseball and I've got great seats. I'll wait until they suck again before finding another team. At that point, I'll move to the new city, brainwash my kids into loving that team and completely alter my life just so I can say I root for a winner.

while we are piling on the phils, i might as well chime in. their lineup reminds me of mid 2000s pirates teams with a patchwork middle of the lineup. Grady Sizemore? Jeff Franceour? Good grief.

I agree with this. This ship sailed many moons ago. Best case scenario is that he's reasonably productive and AL team takes a flyer with Phillies eating a minimum of 50 of 60 million left.
Agree with both of you, I should have been more clear -- in the RH context, a team agreeing to pay him $5 or $6 million/year of his remaining salary pro rata for time left constitutes "trade value." That wasn't there in the off season. Would be better for all then having to cut him for nothing. Not even so much for the money but allowing him and the team to maintain some dignity about it given that he will be remembered as an all-time great Phil.

As far as Hamels goes, barring some injury behind his spotty performance, there's no doubt they made the right move to wait. His value is increasing by the day with the various injuries around baseball. Not even debatable that the odds of getting a "Godfather" type package (or something close) are much higher now. No rush. Aside from injury risk, time is 100% on Phils' side through July 31.

Specifically why? Things look great. Young core, loads of pitching, young talent, good system, most wealthy owners in baseball and I've got great seats. I'll wait until they suck again before finding another team. At that point, I'll move to the new city, brainwash my kids into loving that team and completely alter my life just so I can say I root for a winner.
At least you finally admitted that you are a frontrunner.

Adp's tongue-in-cheekness conveniently leaves out the part about living in that city with a bad team for 8 years and only adopting the local team once it made the long climb to respectability, and put in a .500 season. Sat out the doormat years that defined the Nationals team before that, rooted for Boston, Ben Affleck and Jimmy Fallon or whomever those years instead. Kind of undermines the part about it being ok because he lives there.

Reactions: vujoe62
Agree with both of you, I should have been more clear -- in the RH context, a team agreeing to pay him $5 or $6 million/year of his remaining salary pro rata for time left constitutes "trade value." That wasn't there in the off season. Would be better for all then having to cut him for nothing. Not even so much for the money but allowing him and the team to maintain some dignity about it given that he will be remembered as an all-time great Phil.

What does dignity have to do with anything? He's not helping this team any better. Cut him loose. Why would an AL team put 5/6 mill towards him for one year, much less the 3 years he has left? They would be better served putting that money towards coaxing Dunn or Konerko or Carlos Pena out of retirement. At least those guys could still draw a walk.

At least you finally admitted that you are a frontrunner.

How can you be a front-runner for a team that's never won a playoff series? Please explain, espcially given the team I gave up has won 3 World Series in the last 10 years? Regardless, let's keep the narrative going. Would anyone accuse someone of being a frontrunner if they started rooting for the Caps or Wizards? Two teams that haven't won a thing either? Phillie fans are also frontrunners because poor arak can't get anyone to attend a Phillies game anymore. Used to post line-ups everyday, now can't get the fishtown pride to attend a game and puke on a little kid. Guess we're all just a bunch of phonies.

Adp's tongue-in-cheekness conveniently leaves out the part about living in that city with a bad team for 8 years and only adopting the local team once it made the long climb to respectability, and put in a .500 season. Sat out the doormat years that defined the Nationals team before that, rooted for Boston, Ben Affleck and Jimmy Fallon or whomever those years instead. Kind of undermines the part about it being ok because he lives there.
The Nats were terrible, who would adopt a team without an owner, a terrible stadium and no loyalty from never rooting for them. It's not like I used to post line-ups everyday and now can't get anyone to attend a game. Who is a bigger frontrunner in this situation? For the sake of accuracy, I"ve been a season ticket holder 4 years. So I ignored them for 6 seasons, not 8. Lived here 17 years.

It's ok to own it, adp. I only chimed in because your other post above seemed defensive on the subject.

Guys I work with who were long-time DC-area residents at the time adopted the team immediately, switching over from some minimal or moderate level of Orioles interest that was common as the most local team. As I recall it was always accepted as fact that MLB would find an owner for the team and require that the team remain in DC so not sure how ownership factors in.

Because they were terrible and had nothing to root on. No intelligent person roots for a professional team out of some duty because of where they live. If there is no effort to put a winning team on the field, the situation with the Nats. Why would I pay good money to support a team owned by the other 29 owners who are stripping payroll to justify a higher sale price? That is some sucker 4x4 logic right there. I'm not running from anything. I don't give it up on the first date either. You gotta earn my love. I'm not a lemming.

Howard doesn't have 3 years left. He has this year and next year. With a 10 million buyout after that. So, he's currently owed about 45 million + 10. No one holding their breath that they'll be able to move him. Again, I spend zero time thinking about that.

Because they were terrible and had nothing to root on. No intelligent person roots for a professional team out of some duty because of where they live. If there is no effort to put a winning team on the field, the situation with the Nats. Why would I pay good money to support a team owned by the other 29 owners who are stripping payroll to justify a higher sale price? That is some sucker 4x4 logic right there. I'm not running from anything. I don't give it up on the first date either. You gotta earn my love. I'm not a lemming.

Because you like baseball and live in that city. No one is saying you had to go out and buy jerseys and get season tickets. They were an after-thought until they started to get good.

And there is nothing wrong with supporting the teams where you live. In fact it's fukking normal.

It's ok to own it, adp. I only chimed in because your other post above seemed defensive on the subject.

Guys I work with who were long-time DC-area residents at the time adopted the team immediately, switching over from some minimal or moderate level of Orioles interest that was common as the most local team. As I recall it was always accepted as fact that MLB would find an owner for the team and require that the team remain in DC so not sure how ownership factors in.

Angelos will do that to you. If another team moves to Philly I won't blame you guys either.
Because you like baseball and live in that city. No one is saying you had to go out and buy jerseys and get season tickets. They were an after-thought until they started to get good.

And there is nothing wrong with supporting the teams where you live. In fact it's fukking normal.

I agree but if you ever more than one place you would have a much different world view. Yours is very limited to the CoP. We all know, nothing exists outside of the CoP. Many times you move and have teams you liked prior to living in said city. So you don't just switch teams. Usually it takes something to attract you to a new team and you have to become disenfranchised with your old team. Take Lowry's example. The O's were god awful and Angelos was horrible for those guys. So slowly they morphed into Nats fans. My old team was a winner. I left them because they were terrible organization to their employees. Eventually I had enough. Nats might never win like the Sox. However, it was new/young and brought in Werth. Showed a commitment to winning. Feel like being on the bottom floor of a new thing. We're creating a fanbase. My kids loved it and I jumped on board. It's actually kind of cool. They had never won anything but it was new and fun. They still haven't won anything and the fans still don't quite "get it" but that's DC. Too many 1%ers who have lives outside of sports. This isn't college sports where you graduated from a school etc...It's not like I followed the teams every move and just quit on them because they sucked, stopped going to games, didn't post line-ups etc.....that's a different thing all together. However, it's all right. People have lives outside of sports. Your pro teams suck you aren't required to have the same monetary and emotional investment in them. In any walk of of life if you suck at your job, the Phillies organization, people fire you or stop investing in you. It's human nature.

Last edited:

On that score I'll cop to enjoying Nats games more recently, especially when Harper is batting. And always enjoy the feel of being at the yard. Still can't help but root against them when I'm there though.

I, for one, am okay with adp's switch. Why root for a team that's 500 miles away, isn't on TV, isn't covered by local media, isn't discussed at the office and your kids don't like? Might as well get familiar with the local squad.

I, for one, am okay with adp's switch. Why root for a team that's 500 miles away, isn't on TV, isn't covered by local media, isn't discussed at the office and your kids don't like? Might as well get familiar with the local squad.

Agree 100%. It's the fact that he waited 6 years to do it that's phony.

Would have been very tough to be a Red Sox fan in 2013. Thank god I dumped those losers.

How did you become a Red Sox fan again? The short version.....

My uncle has seats right behind home plate at Fenway. Along with my father took me when I was 6 or 7. Case closed. You can't take a little kid to Fenway and not become a Sox fan. Very cool. First 28 years of my life I blamed my dad for not taking me to Yankee Stadium.

That's right the Pirates weren't committed to winning. Those Bonds/Bonilla years sucked.

Let's cut to the chase...
pics of your hometown pro sports team tattoos or GTFO

Ha ha ha....you got me here. No ink for me.

ADP, I'm curious, but do you have one of those barbed wire tats around your arm?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT