ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Playoffs

Pitcher gets to bat too. He can get on base to help his own cause if bats are slow. I don't watch the junior circuit ball.

No decisions are just purgatory.

"Quality Start" = 3 or less earned runs allowed over 6 or more innnings pitched. Hamels had a quality start last night.

Does anyone think a 4.5 ERA (6IP, 3ER) is actually quality? Maybe it was in the late 90s and early 2000s juice era. If they are going to use that term, it should at least be 7 IP, 2 ER.

Does anyone think a 4.5 ERA (6IP, 3ER) is actually quality? Maybe it was in the late 90s and early 2000s juice era. If they are going to use that term, it should at least be 7 IP, 2 ER.

I actually agree with this. MLB average starters had an ERA of 4.11 this year compared to 4.88 in 2000. Also the average start was 5.8 innings. So basically the quality start definition is below average.

Also, nearly 1/3 of games were not won by starters.

So I guess LA was right not to trade for Hamels.

If Dodgers planned on making three errors and another misplay in the 7th inning, in a 2-2 game, and game 5 of a playoff series, then no trading for him wouldn't had made sense.

Cap tip to Murphy for the base running gem. I would rather see the dodgers win, but that was some great base running there.

How narcissistic must one be to post over 70,000 tweets? A function of the generation, I suppose. No thought can go unshared. Totally unaware of how f---ing ridiculous it is.

Reactions: MillerSibs
I don't know about you clowns but I am by the phone right now in my Turk Wendell 99 jersey just waiting for my first sibling to call. My tiny penis is even half hard.

Interesting that the guy many Mets' fans loved to bash, including many on here, ended up being the hero. I've always thought that Murphy was a decent player. Even when he was on those crappy Mets' teams. I guess they're all riding him now.

Cap tip to Murphy for the base running gem. I would rather see the dodgers win, but that was some great base running there.
Cap tip indeed. We know he can hit, but he's prone to boneheaded base running plays. That play epitomized his series where he could do nothing wrong. Contract year where he didn't have his best season, he just made himself a lot of $$$$. Keep it up Murph!

I'm a Mets fan and that was a huge series win but I don't get baseball celebrations for every milestone win. The Jays were the absolute worst

It doesn't happen in hockey, football, basketball. Why is there champagne involved at every stage of baseball?

I'm a Mets fan and that was a huge series win but I don't get baseball celebrations for every milestone win. The Jays were the absolute worst

It doesn't happen in hockey, football, basketball. Why is there champagne involved at every stage of baseball?

Yea, I kind of agree with this. Maybe, because it's the sport where the fewest teams make playoffs and because they go through a 162-game RS to get these opportunities.

I'd cut out the celebrations in the WC and this first round. You make the playoffs after 162 games, then celebrate. You win your league, then celebrate. And obviously you win the WS then you celebrate. I think that's a fair amount.

Yea, I kind of agree with this. Maybe, because it's the sport where the fewest teams make playoffs and because they go through a 162-game RS to get these opportunities.

I'd cut out the celebrations in the WC and this first round. You make the playoffs after 162 games, then celebrate. You win your league, then celebrate. And obviously you win the WS then you celebrate. I think that's a fair amount.

Get s clue. Despite what's been said, the celebrations in baseball are over the top in these early playoff rounds.

No burrs, win your division you celebrate....then raise a banner.

Enjoying called all the siblings last night. Always been a fan of Murph, glad to see him in the spotlight.

Mets-Cubs Matchups

These teams have never met in the playoffs, though they squared off in some memorable pennant races when they were NL East rivals (1969, '84, '89). ...

During half a decade of steady losing, both big-market clubs stocked up on prospects. Cubs executive Theo Epstein rebuilt around young sluggers, while Mets general managerSandy Alderson focused on power pitching. Now, it's Chicago's bats against New York's arms in an NLCS loaded with young talent. At least that's the storyline. The Cubs actually had a lower ERA than the Mets this year, while New York had more homers and a higher slugging percentage. ...

The Cubs have won a team-record nine consecutive meetings. They dominated the season series, taking all seven games by a combined score of 27-11. It was the first time the Mets were swept in a season series of at least seven games — and the first time Chicago did it since 1885 against theBuffalo Bisons. But the last meeting was July 2, weeks before the Mets overhauled their struggling offense. Since then, New York has added Cespedes, Conforto, Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe, while d'Arnaud and Wright have returned from injuries. ...

Chicago swept a four-game series against the Mets from May 11-14 at Wrigley Field, winning three by one run. Lester beat deGrom 4-3, and Syndergaard lost his major league debut 6-1 to Arrieta. When the teams played three at Citi Field, it was the Cubs who provided the lights-out pitching. New York was shut out twice and managed one run in 29 innings, one of the lowest points of its season. Arrieta defeated deGrom 6-1, and Hendricks edged Niese 1-0. Lester pitched 7 scoreless innings in a no-decision. He is 2-0 with a 2.50 ERA in 3 career starts against the Mets. ...

Arrieta was 2-0 with a 1.13 ERA in 2 outings against the Mets this season, striking out 17 in 16 innings. Meanwhile, deGrom went 0-2 with a 6.10 ERA against the Cubs. He walked 6 in 10 1-3 innings and gave up 3 home runs. ...

Both teams are missing their starting shortstop. Baez takes over for Chicago rookie Addison Russell, who strained his left hamstring in the NLDS vs. St. Louis. Baez, who hit a key 3-run homer in the series, has big-time power but also strikes out a lot. Flores stepped in for New York when Ruben Tejadabroke his right leg on a late takeout slide by Chase Utley in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Dodgers. ...

Uribe missed the NLDS with a chest cartilage injury, eliminating an experienced right-handed thumper on the New York bench with an impressive October resume. ...

Gold Glove winner Juan Lagares often starts in center field when the Mets face a lefty, shifting Cespedes to left. Lagares was 3 for 7 with 2 doubles and 3 runs in the NLDS. Cuddyer was benched after struggling in the series opener. ...

Rizzo is 3 for 18 (.167) in the NL playoffs with 2 home runs, but the All-Star slugger is a .300 hitter with 5 homers and 11 RBIs in 25 career games against the Mets. ... New York has home-field advantage in this series despite finishing with the worst record among the five NL playoff teams. ...

Cubs manager Joe Maddon took over the Angels on an interim basis when current Mets skipper Terry Collins resigned in Anaheim on Sept. 3, 1999.

Mets-Cubs Matchups

These teams have never met in the playoffs, though they squared off in some memorable pennant races when they were NL East rivals (1969, '84, '89). ....

Not true, you forgot about the '93 NLCS (but otherwise, good analysis):

ScreenShot2013-07-02at4.11.04PM_crop_exact.png

Interesting that the guy many Mets' fans loved to bash, including many on here, ended up being the hero. I've always thought that Murphy was a decent player. Even when he was on those crappy Mets' teams. I guess they're all riding him now.
Murphy is an average to slightly above average player. He's also a deeply flawed player prone to boneheaded mental lapses that you wouldn't expect from a six year old.

well I can't take credit for it (just found the article online)

Don't get the comment about 1993. Mets lost 103 games that year.

Only foye effect would call the hero/mvp of game 5 deeply flawed and bone-headed after his extremely smart and opportunistic plays won the game and series for the Mets.

I guess being convincingly wrong is his kind of thing.

If you've watched Daniel Murphy since 2008, you would come to the same conclusion as I have.

There's a continuum, with Full Murph being like three doubles and a horrible base running or fielding blunder. Last night was good Murph.

CRZcqk8U8AA09EO.jpg

There's also ohmurph.com, a website originally dedicated to his brainfarts.

Can't wait to see the old hidden ball trick tonight or the pitcher throwing fly balls to himself trying to get the agressive Mets baserunners caught off first.

4-0 Mets......two out top of the 1st.........guess the Cubbies have to wait another year...............

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT