ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Playoffs

Obviously, there are no guarantees, but to spend the way they already have and leave your self with a Anderson/Wood combo is just dumb. Hey, it's their WS chance, so who cares. I'm happy with the return they got from Texas.

Just think the Dodgers could of had Hamels starting this pivotal Game 3, but no hold onto those prospects. You know, since they have about one in four chance of panning out. They should go another 27 years without a WS.

I was thinking the same thing as their Game 3 starter soiled his pants repeatedly last night. Someday one of the "untouchable" guys they kept will probably turn into their own Ricky Bo.

You guys say this but look at what the Cubs are doing with all those young studs whom they refused to trade. If Kershaw doesn't lose game 1 they are also up 2-1. Given the structure of MLB having great young players is a huge advantage. Especially for a team like the Dodgers because they can then spend their millions with huge flexibility. You don't give up 5-6 years of payroll control for one start in the post-season. Such a short-term view. That's what the Yankees did and why they haven't been good in a while and have no real help to alter their situation (despite their $200 million payroll).

How is holding on to all the guys you have under club control working out for the Nationals? There is some pragmatism involved. When the window is opening up, have to make a move to push through it sometimes, like the Mets did. Nats never really went all in and love to talk about how smart they are, but now passed by the Mets.

Cubs and Mets have struck paydirt with some nice players, but it has taken them a long time.

Seriously? The Nats went out and got the most expensive FA pitcher and closer. Yes, how'd that work out this year? Regardless, this is about the Dodgers. You guys are missing the forest through the trees. If their $210 million pitcher wins his first start we're not having this discussion. As for Cubs, they are proving the model as are the Mets.

Adp, we weren't talking about money, we were talking about club control I thought.

Paps was expensive (sort of, Phils paid some of his salary I believe), but the price in terms of club controlled prospects was low. So Rizzo bought.

And they were highest bidder for Scherzer (cue argument about how they spread it out over 20 years), but not a huge toll in prospects/picks.

At the trade deadline, you have to pay for an asset like Hamels. Working out well for both teams so far. Rangers were not in the playoff chase at the time. Dodgers didn't move for a pitcher and they find themselves going to their Ace on 3 days' rest trying to survive vs the WC team.

Ironically it may be the Nats who prove that the model doesn't always work. Moving some of their club controlled guys a couple years ago (assuming not Bryce) couldn't have made things worse.

Money is directly tied to club control of young talent, the topic discussed.

Lerner told Rizzo that he wasn't allowed to take on additional 2015 payroll, so that's why they got an already paid for Papelbon.

Look, when you spend 210 million already, haven't won a WS in 27 years, you're a big market team, you're built to win today, you might have to send a Anderson/Wood combo to mound in GM 3 of a 1-1 series, then bring an ace back on 3 days rest, an ace who has sucked balls in the playoffs I might add, and have a chance to get an under controlled, former WS MVP, in the prime of his career, then you don't let keeping some 18-year old pitcher and a strike out machine, .230 ish hitting OF prevent you from doing it.

No, you go get the surer asset and role the dice in hopes of breaking that 27-year drought.

Fact!

Bump, just to have 3 active MLB threads at the top of the board, with none of them being about the Phillies.

Some interesting history, the Brooklyn Dodgers were 1-3 vs. the Yankees in postseason elimination games, losing Game 7s in '47, '52 and '56 (won in '55).

In LA, they are 4-0 in elimination games dating back to Game 7 of the 1965 WS (2-0, Twins).

The others:

1981 NLDS G5 (4-0, Astros)

1981 NLCS G5 (2-1, Expos)

1988 NLCS G7 (6-0, Mets)

Hamels has to be absolutely FURIOUS. 3 awful errors in the inning and then the manager pulls him and the pen coughs it up. Terrible.

This 7th inning is now the longest inning in playoff history. Pushing one hour.

Hamels has to be absolutely FURIOUS. 3 awful errors in the inning and then the manager pulls him and the pen coughs it up. Terrible.

Hamels circa 2009 would have been stomping his feet and crying. I commend that twink for becoming a bear.

Little League players would have made those plays the Rangers committed errors on. Hamels had a very good outing.

What the hell was Kuechel doing in that game with them trailing? And then they're out there intentionally putting runners on. AL baseball manager is easily the most worthless and pointless coach in all of sports.

Hamels of 2009 would have been out in the 5th inning.

2009 had consistently reliable Jimmy Rollins at Shortstop who makes the 1st and 3rd errors easily. Maybe even caught the errant throw on the 2nd error although Ryan Howard probably would have thrown that into left field.

that was the most bizarre inning I've ever seen. just crazy.
and if the fans did that in Philly it would be front page of every news website and lead every newscast tomorrow. happens everywhere though.

Hamels did not have a good outing. He got the loss.

L = Bad start

Ok, dopey.

He should of held the most feared line-up in their home park to 2 runs thru 7 innings. With a chance to come out for the 8th. Can't ask for much more than that. With the stakes that high I've never seen a team implode as bad as the Texas infield did in that 7th inning.

Don't argue with this moron. If your pitcher loses 1-0 yet goes 9 innings and strikes out 16 guys, he'll say it's a bad outing because he didn't get the win. I wish I could disown this kid.

Don't argue with this moron. If your pitcher loses 1-0 yet goes 9 innings and strikes out 16 guys, he'll say it's a bad outing because he didn't get the win. I wish I could disown this kid.

Wtf don't you understand. Who cares about anything but the win or the loss. Baseball is a goofy sport. Sometimes you give up 5 and win. Sometimes you give up 1 and lose.

If degrom gives up a run and we lose 1-0, he didn't get it done. I would say it was a great effort, but he lost us the game. Pitchers control their own destiny in the NL.

Wtf don't you understand. Who cares about anything but the win or the loss. Baseball is a goofy sport. Sometimes you give up 5 and win. Sometimes you give up 1 and lose.

If degrom gives up a run and we lose 1-0, he didn't get it done. I would say it was a great effort, but he lost us the game. Pitchers control their own destiny in the NL.

Thoughts on no decisions?

So an offense has no responsibility? Pitch great and lose 1-0 and the "pitcher didn't get it done?" Not the lineup didn't get it done? Is that what you're saying? And if so are you really that stupid? Or just an act to troll saber geeks?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT