ADVERTISEMENT

Music Check In

TheDean

VUSports.com Addict
May 29, 2001
Any of you NJ bois know of The Parlor Mob (Red Hook)? Solid first album way back in '08 - they're playing at the Gramercy Theater tomorrow night (CoDB).

I had that Crow album from some years back.. think they are form asbury park. Liked it, didn't get into them too much but a few of those songs were in rotation for me. Have read/heard that they put on a pretty solid live show.

I will be at the same theater on Saturday night for Greensky Bluegrass. They just dropped their new album yesterday which is pretty gr8... been fortunate to have heard them do most of the songs live before. Trampled by Turtles Friday night at Terminal 5 if you wanted to make it a bluegrass weekend in CoDb

Deer Tick is doing a new years run at Brooklyn bowl covering 5 different albums (lou reed, beatles, devo) with special guests etc.

Originally posted by nardibynature123:
Drank some beers with the drummer from Gaslight Anthem a few weeks ago.
At the chick-fil-a wedding?

Speaking of guitar techs.. lost a great one in Brian Farmer at the end of August.

Originally posted by bgranc02:
Deer Tick is doing a new years run at Brooklyn bowl covering 5 different albums (lou reed, beatles, devo) with special guests etc.
The first and last nights of that run will be awesome. First night is the full run through their debut album, War Elephant.... so damn good. The last night is a fan-requested setlist which should be excellent too. Not to even get into the cover albums. Those will be some damn fun shows.

Trampled by Turtles Friday night at Terminal 5 if you wanted to make it a bluegrass weekend in CoDb
Sure you've seen them live before but these guys are excellent. I'm pretty surprised they can play a place as big as T5 though, figured they'd be more in the Bowery Ballroom/MHOW type venue.

Been some gr8 stuff put out recently by Fuzzy Bunny Slippers, Phoebe and Brian and Burnt Sienna.

Headed to hipsterville, USA oct 11/12 for the escape music festival.

Also have modest mouse, Kasabian, and treasure island festival coming up in next month

Anybody ever been to Austin City Limits? I'm heading down exactly a month from today. Looking forward to that trip.

i think Etown lives in Austin, i know he did and has been to Austin City Limits. I was in Austin in 06 for the Nova game. great town, great food. 6th street gets wild at night and we went during winter break for UT students.

Oh man would love to go to Trampled By Turtles at T5 but going to be in New Orleans this weekend.

Further down the road - but St. Lucia will be at T5 November 22nd and I am pumped. Saw them put on a great show up at Lake Raquette a few weeks ago.

Originally posted by Chimpat:
The first and last nights of that run will be awesome. First night is the full run through their debut album, War Elephant.... so damn good. The last night is a fan-requested setlist which should be excellent too. Not to even get into the cover albums. Those will be some damn fun shows. [/QUOTE]For sure... the war elephant night we saw with jackson browne up at newport was great.

I kind of hate T5 as a venue and agree with you about them playing there.. kind of strange. Despite my issues with the venue I have seen some decent shows there and they seem to have gotten better at making it sound alright. Would probably hit the Trampled show if I was going to GSBG saturday.

Snottie enjoy new orleans, great time to get down there.

Bri, the DT show with Jackson Browne was one of the alltime great nights of music. Jesus that was a great show.

Agree that T5 isn't a great venue but I've gotten to the point where I usually hang up on the balcony, drinks are real easy to get because it doesn't get too packed. The Gogol Bordello show I saw there most recently was insane.

Novabball2, thanks for the heads up on Etown, will try to get a hold of him.

Record I really have listened to a lot is Famous Graves by Cheap Girls. Remind me a old school 90s band.

Anybody ever been to Austin City Limits? I'm heading down exactly a month from today. Looking forward to that trip.
yep, i went 2 years ago, great festival. everyone really friendly and fantastic vibe. footprint is large but not too spread out. i believe, if i'm remembering correctly, you can bring chairs in and set them up a certain distance from the stages. you'll have totems everywhere though, more than i've seen at every festival, so be prepared to deal w/ some obstructive views. we had VIP which i didn't think was worth it, although i don't believe we made proper use of the VIP viewing areas at each stage.

after the festival there are a couple fun bars/restaurants right on the main road - barton springs - that you traverse to get into the festival (unless you take a taxi which drops you off right behind the venue). there are 2 main areas to go out; there are these houses that have been converted into outdoor bars and what not down on south congress area (south of the river), very very cool. then there are the rainey street bars which also have those types of houses just north of the river. and lastly you have 6th street, a bit further north but close to rainey street.

the first night we walked from the venue back up to 6th street, which is approx 1.5+ miles away. not a terrible walk, but if it's hot watch out. they have a million pedi-cabs which can get you from point a to b as well. the bar scenes are out of control, usually UT plays on the road those weekends but if there are college girls around forget about it. tons of other live music around each night, too.

you'll have a blast.

where are you staying?

I have tix for Saturday to Dr. Dog, Mac DeMarco, The Front Bottoms and Hop Along at the Mann.
Seems like too many acts on the bill for my liking but if it starts to suck I will just leave.

Butcher, thanks for the recap, much appreciated. Only been to Austin once (Nova vs Texas hoops weekend), had an awesome time so looking forward to this trip.

I'm staying at the Raddison Hotel Downtown (looks like it's right on the river so maybe kind of in between the show and sixth street).

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Record I really have listened to a lot is Famous Graves by Cheap Girls. Remind me a old school 90s band.
Saw Cheap Girls Monday night at Underground Arts in Philly (opening for The Hold Steady). Really solid live band. Really f'ing loud too. Their amps went to 11.

Originally posted by The Oyster:
Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Mats with Deer Tick & The Hold Steady next week. Must see.

Fixed.

99--You headed to Forest Hills next Saturday?
100% -- it's Friday the 19th btw.....
Saw the Hold Stead with Drive by truckers over the summer - very good show.

Snottie enjoy new orleans, great time to get down there.
Thanks bgranc. Went down with some coworkers, I spent an amount of money on a half black half Asian (blasian?) that said to them "this guy is ambitious, but not desperate" on Friday night. Walked back to hotel at 7 am. Hadn't done that in many years.

Saturday was much more calm. Enjoyed the uptown area during the day, had a great dinner, hit Bourbon for an hour and couldn't get on the same level as the drunk screaming girls. Bed at midnight. Really cool place overall and good people.

For you Hoboken joy bois, band called The Riptide Movement playing at The Ale House on Sunday night. Caught them in Benicassim and then The Cutting Room last fall. Partied with them a bit after that show. Rock n roll band outta Dublin. Football then tunes = solid Sunday funday. I'd check em out.

Originally posted by Tha Butcher:
For you Hoboken joy bois, band called The Riptide Movement playing at The Ale House on Sunday night. Caught them in Benicassim and then The Cutting Room last fall. Partied with them a bit after that show. Rock n roll band outta Dublin. Football then tunes = solid Sunday funday. I'd check em out.
I've seen them play, the Irish shtick gets old. Isn't the lead singers name Mordecai or something? I'm more interested in checking out Sam Smith in an intimate type performance. That guy can really get the emotions flowing out of me.

Originally posted by Ricardo_Montalban:

Originally posted by Tha Butcher:
I've seen them play, the Irish shtick gets old. Isn't the lead singers name Mordecai or something? I'm more interested in checking out Sam Smith in an intimate type performance. That guy can really get the emotions flowing out of me.
It's Malachy. Not sure what you mean by Irish schtick. It's a drummer, bassist and 2 guitars. Like many other acts from the Isle/GB there's no brogue or accent.

If you've had some pints and want a nice backup scene that a girl would probably dig, you can do worse than this.

Seeing Portugal the man and Grouplove tonight in central park, should be a good show.

NorCal, there's another band playing that show tonight.... Typhoon (assuming they go on first). Really good band.

Typhoon

NorCal, there's another band playing that show tonight.... Typhoon (assuming they go on first). Really good band.
Honest Truth is a great tune. Really good band.

Chimpat, just checked them out on youtube. I really like their sound, great instrumental ensemble. Unfortunately I dont think I can get out early enough to catch them. I think they start at 5. Hopefully I can catch the tail end of their set.

I might (MIGHT) have 2 extras for Hold Steady/Deer Tick and Replacements this Friday - which could be the best bill all year. Can't say for sure yet - but if anyone is around, let me know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT