ADVERTISEMENT

Music Check In

Originally posted by Chimpat:
Finished my Favorite Songs of 2014 list if any of you guys want to give it a listen. Also added a spotify playlist this year so you can stream the whole thing.
Good feature.

Thanks

I just bought the Martina McBride Christmas Album. I recommend it for all the other old folks on the board.

Chimpat,
Great list - I am surprised how many of them I have heard this year.
I thought "Weight of Love" was the highlight track from The Black Keys Turn Blue album.
I have been listening to this year's Spoon album a lot recently - some great stuff on there.
My taste is a bit eclectic ... some other albums I liked from this year so far (that weren't the source of songs on your list:
Burnt Offering - The Budos Band
Sun Structures - Temples
Half The City - St. Paul & The Broken Bones
Therapy - The New Mastersounds

+1 on Weight of Love. Probably play it every time I'm in car. Downloaded whole album for Fever and Turn Blue but was pleasantly surprised by WoL.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Big Black Keys fan. Weight of Love = breathe. Which is fine by me.

Originally posted by ericw:
Chimpat,
Great list - I am surprised how many of them I have heard this year.
I thought "Weight of Love" was the highlight track from The Black Keys Turn Blue album.
I have been listening to this year's Spoon album a lot recently - some great stuff on there.
My taste is a bit eclectic ... some other albums I liked from this year so far (that weren't the source of songs on your list:
Burnt Offering - The Budos Band
Sun Structures - Temples
Half The City - St. Paul & The Broken Bones
Therapy - The New Mastersounds
Eric, thanks man, appreciate it. Weight of Love is indeed a great tune. I can't believe how huge the Black Keys are now. A couple years ago I saw them at Webster Hall for their record release show (which was awesome) and I got filmed in the "Gold on the Ceiling" video for a second. Crazy that they can sell out arenas consistently now.

That Spoon album is really, really good. I've been listening to it a lot recently.

I know St Paul and the Broken Bones but not that familiar with the other bands, will check them out.

First order of business upon my return to BW--check out Chimpat's 50 best of 2014. Did a brief scroll through it. I've heard only about half the tunes, so I will be listening to those I'm not familiar with throughout the week.

Great work as always, Chimpat.

what are everyone's thoughts around the spate of festival lineup announcements. working for a company that tickets some of these events, it's interesting to overhear the reaction of the organizers when they announce acts and see the feedback.

case in point, hangout fest is getting brutalized online re: their lineup. i can understand it, two repeat performers (foo fighters & zac brown band) in the headliner row and a little less jam music than previous iterations. however, i think rows 2-18 are very solid.

bonnaroo announcing one act a time today through attendee social media posts. coachella greeted by some vitriol as well, drake doesn't seem to be a popular headline choice. yet govball generating some positive buzz with their inventory.

jazz fest is stacked again, would love to see the who down there.

current plan is to attend the following festivals: jazz fest (if i can get work to send me) -> lucidity -> hangout -> lightning in a bottle -> bottlerock -> gov ball -> bonnaroo -> northern nights -> outside lands.

may/june gonna be intense to say the least.

As a new York resident, I will solely judge the gov ball lineup based on the daily schedules. I've reached the point where I like going to the single day that is the most appealing to my tastes. Would love to be able to see MMJ, Black Keys, and War on Drugs on the same day.

As always, Bonnaroo setlist looks pretty awesome. Others seem decent to good.

Chimpat, do you have a link of a playlist of your top 2014 songs either on Youtube, soundcloud, etc?

Originally posted by NorCalVU10:

Chimpat, do you have a link of a playlist of your top 2014 songs either on Youtube, soundcloud, etc?
Always looking for a free handout. Type them each in to google like your forefathers

Originally posted by The Oyster:
First order of business upon my return to BW--check out Chimpat's 50 best of 2014. Did a brief scroll through it. I've heard only about half the tunes, so I will be listening to those I'm not familiar with throughout the week.

Great work as always, Chimpat.
Thanks Oyster, good to have you back. Let me know if you find anything you like in there.

As a new York resident, I will solely judge the gov ball lineup based on the daily schedules. I've reached the point where I like going to the single day that is the most appealing to my tastes. Would love to be able to see MMJ, Black Keys, and War on Drugs on the same day.

I don't have a playlist on youtube or soundcloud. I could probably set one up on youtube, I'll look into that. I made the spotify playlist this year which seems to be working well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MMJ and Black Keys split into different days, two of the bigger rock bands playing the festival. I'm waiting to see which day MMJ is and that's what I'm going to try to make. Hopefully will have a bunch of other bands I'd like to see as well.

Originally posted by Tha Butcher:
what are everyone's thoughts around the spate of festival lineup announcements. working for a company that tickets some of these events, it's interesting to overhear the reaction of the organizers when they announce acts and see the feedback.

case in point, hangout fest is getting brutalized online re: their lineup. i can understand it, two repeat performers (foo fighters & zac brown band) in the headliner row and a little less jam music than previous iterations. however, i think rows 2-18 are very solid.

bonnaroo announcing one act a time today through attendee social media posts. coachella greeted by some vitriol as well, drake doesn't seem to be a popular headline choice. yet govball generating some positive buzz with their inventory.

jazz fest is stacked again, would love to see the who down there.

current plan is to attend the following festivals: jazz fest (if i can get work to send me) -> lucidity -> hangout -> lightning in a bottle -> bottlerock -> gov ball -> bonnaroo -> northern nights -> outside lands.

may/june gonna be intense to say the least.
Butcher.... kind of interesting to see a couple of the same headliners at these festivals. Drake at Coachella and Gov Ball. Deadmau at Bonnaroo and Gov Ball and I think Florence as well. Definitely a bunch of overlap and then you have the smaller bands which just basically will play the circuit (Districts, Benjamin Booker, etc.) and you see them on multiple festival lineups.

I think the Gov Ball lineup is real strong. I'd like to attend a day or two. I'm waiting to see the ACL lineup, would love to make a return trip in the fall.

I thought Hangout Fest looked pretty solid as well. Surprised they're facing some backlash.

Will your company pay your way for those festivals (both travel and housing)? If so, that's pretty sick.

I don't have a playlist on youtube or soundcloud. I could probably set one up on youtube, I'll look into that. I made the spotify playlist this year which seems to be working well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MMJ and Black Keys split into different days, two of the bigger rock bands playing the festival. I'm waiting to see which day MMJ is and that's what I'm going to try to make. Hopefully will have a bunch of other bands I'd like to see as well.
I've never used spotify, but heard people rave about it. Whats the annual fee?

I tend to agree, but in the past I have noticed that Gov Ball organizers seem to try coordinating days, at least a little bit. I could see Florence and Lana grouped with Drake and Dead Mouse to attract the teen crowd on two days and stick with rock on the other. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part. Having said that, I heard Florence puts on a hell of a show.

I'm real late on the spotify bandwagon but it's pretty awesome. Think the premium is $10 a month or something like that. Their library is pretty incredible, just a huge catalog.

Interesting point on Gov Ball. I've yet to attend so that's pretty cool if they try to group bands together like that. I've never seen Florence but have heard the same. I like a lot of her stuff, would love to see her show.

I expect you will see MMJ announced at Mt Jam today... like the Black Keys, a lot of those bands play both fests the same weekend. I have day tripped mt jam the past two years, stayed up there 3 or 4 years back. Crowd is much more my speed compared to Governors Ball. I will probably day trip it again this year.

Hangout fest lineup looks good to me.. but sometimes if you establish an aesthetic (in this case more Jam bands) and then deviate a bit, repeat attendees get bent out of shape. Too old to do Bonaroo but thought that shaped up pretty nicely.

We lock into second weekend Jazz Fest each year so will be there again. The Saturday lineup is a little sleepy for my taste, but Sunday is pretty stacked if you like the New Orleans associated acts. Interested to see who this mysterious TBA headliner will be and how they will schedule that day.

Anyone hitting up JRAD or Greensky at Brooklyn Bowl this month?

Quint mentioned in a post schedule release interview that the mysterious Sunday TBA headliner will play on the main Acura stage right before Shorty closes out the Fest.

I'm real late on the spotify bandwagon but it's pretty awesome. Think the premium is $10 a month or something like that. Their library is pretty incredible, just a huge catalog.

Interesting point on Gov Ball. I've yet to attend so that's pretty cool if they try to group bands together like that. I've never seen Florence but have heard the same. I like a lot of her stuff, would love to see her show.
Spoitify through Sonos. Sit around and pretty muc any song you can think of off the top of your head you just click and play. And what's better than trying out some new tunes for 10 bucks a month?

Mountain Jam and Gov Ball are the same weekend? Didn't realize that but makes sense that there would be band overlap.

They're still going to add another headliner? I see Black Keys are already listed there.

Mountain Jam and Gov Ball are the same weekend? Didn't realize that but makes sense that there would be band overlap.

They're still going to add another headliner? I see Black Keys are already listed there.
Yes but i was wrong.. no MMJ. Robert Plant is the other headliner. Also added the Shakes. Pretty good lineup

mjam.JPg

Chimpat, my job wants me traveling at least 5 days in market (I cover the southeast) each month. So the weekend of hangout I'll make sure I have meetings in Florida and alabama etc. and they'll cover my flight. for some of the festivals we ticket, either I'm buddies with the organizers now and they hook it up (smaller festivals) or they're a large festival and we get an allotment of tickets.

I purchased hangout vip this year because after doing VIP last year I can't risk going ga if that's what I happened to get. Spoiled. Hoping I can score a free VIP ticket and sell mine for face. We get a large allotment from gov ball will crash with one of my NYC ladies and weekend is basically free.

For SXSW we've got an air Bnb right on 6th street for a week+. Going to be insane. Other than the pay cut it really is the perfect job.

Agree on spotify premium it's the best. I go on and make a playlist for each festival I'm attending with 3/4 songs from every artist. Try to listen to their top 10 on spotify and take a mix not just pulling in the top 3. Fun way to learn about new bands (and keep you as the "cool guy" who knows about the up and comers)

That's really interesting. Sounds like a pretty cool gig.

For someone like me if I took that pay cut I'd probably be making the same money after all that I spend on concert tix every year. I bet you come across a lot of interesting people as well, I feel like you can just make some great connections at these festivals.

If you cover the southeast, are you going to that festival in Atlanta, think it's called Shaky Knees Festival? They've gotten a good lineup over the last two years, seems like a good time.

If anybody falls through on the large allotment of Gov Ball tix, drop me a line!

Trying to get in with shaky knees and skaky boots. Problem is they're held at a venue that's in bed with ticketmaster. Those relationships are tough to break.

Will keep you posted on GovBall for sure

Got it. So your company uses a different ticket service that competes with ticketmaster?

If you get a minute, shoot me an email: chimpat@yahoo.com Thanks.

Dead in Chicago for the 4th anyone trying to make it? Ball will you make it out of the avo groves for this one?

I booked a room just to lock one down and flights are real cheap so I may just grab one. Just dropped off an old school mail order request in the mail.

Good luck! I'm not a huge Dead fan but those shows will be pretty awesome.

Originally posted by kindbits:
Love the old school mailorder. Did you fancy up the envelope?
Very old school. I did mail order back for my only two dead shows which were at Giants Stadium during the Spring 94 tour. That envelope was pretty fancy but some hippie chick i was friends with really did most of the work.. this one was pretty pathetic since I did it at the office and don't really know any girls that rock patchouli anymore. I made note of said patheticness with a sketch of me in a suit which was also terrible.

Chimpat, have you heard any of the stuff form Joe Russo's Almost Dead? Sold a buddy who was not really into the dead on them. Really tight, high energy add pretty masterful re-interpretation of the dead's music.Great group of musicians lead by Russo on the drums and includes Marco Benevento who kills on the keys.

Joe Joined Phil for a run at the cap over New Years billed as PhilRAD. Heading to see them at Bk Bowl Friday.. they are worth a listen. This is form last year's cap run. Cap Show

Really like the new Sleater-Kinney album, which led me to pulling out my old S-K CD's and rediscovering their catalog, which led me to realize that Dig Me Out and Call the Doctor are among of the finest albums of the 90's.

Was anyone lucky enough to score tickets to their club tour? Sold out everywhere and Stub Hub prices are ridiculous right now.

Damn you're right - sold out in NYC.

Haven't heard all of the new album but will download.

The Woods was also good.

bgranc, I haven't heard those guys but will give it a listen. Especially something from the Cap, love that venue.

Oyster, I don't have a lot of Sleater Kinney stuff but I have seen them open a couple times for Pearl Jam. Didn't realize there was such demand to see them on this tour.

I'm heading to see Jason Isbell at the Beacon this Saturday night. Really excited about that one, great room and have yet to see him live.

Jason Isbell (formerly of Drive By Truckers) was fantastic on Saturday night. I only knew about half the songs but loved everything I heard and spent yesterday doing some research and binging on the stuff I wasn't familiar with. Great voice and very good guitar player, backing band was excellent as well. Highly recommend seeing him.

Governors Ball just released their daily lineups. Probably will only do sunday, but would love to see My Morning Jacket, just not sure if taking off that Friday is worth it.

Friday, June 05

Loading...DrakeDrake
Florence + The Machine
Loading...My Morning JacketMy Morning Jacket
Loading...ChromeoChromeo
St. Vincent
The Decemberists
Ratatat
Loading...Death From Above 1979Death From Above 1979
Charli XCX
ODESZA
Rudimental
Twin Shadow
Vance Joy

Gorgon City (live)
Benjamin Booker
DIIV
Rae Sremmurd
Priory
The Districts
Hermitude
The Picturebooks
Friday is looking like the strongest day to me: MMJ, Florence, Decemberists, Chromeo, Benjamin Booker, Districts, etc. Solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT