ADVERTISEMENT

Nats can't even get a bobble head right

Has Werth lived up to that contract? That robust .218 average suggests that letting him walk was the right decision.

And Rizzo is an arrogant douchebag which is why it is enjoyable to watch his teams choke on an annual basis.
Werth has been Werth every penny. You have to remember the scenario around his contract. No owner the first few years, they spent no money as the parts were sold to up the sale price as mlb owned the team. They let Soriano and Dunn walk, both great moves but folks at the time were mad. They had never won what, 75 games to that point and no one went to the games. They sign Werth, grab pudge and in the first year finish a half game under .500 with a strong finish. Werth was the guy where the nats became real because you had owners who got a sweetheart deal on the backs of dc taxpayers. Werth changed all of that and demonstrated the first commitment to winning. He played hard, they second season nays make a huge jump, make the playoffs, he hits rhe walk off in game 4, and baseball was finally back in dc. And for those who make fun of celebrating that moment, don't ever mention the scottie Reynolds shot then. As recall, we lost our next game. Being Thete for both, the Werth ab was more dramatic as I believe it was the 13th pitch of the ab. Back to the point. Werth has paid for that contract 5x over. It made people like me buy season tickets and become fans. I'll wait for the smart-ass responses lacking all understanding of the situation. However, his contract was a home run for what it meant to building a fan blase that previously did not exist.

Last edited:
I think his contract is considerably better than Howard's.

Money is same but werth was 7 years vs 5. Kind of a wash. Almost a nod to Howard considering you can be rid of his suck-itude quicker but they're stuck with Werth's a few more years.

He played hard, they second season nays make a huge jump, make the playoffs, he hits rhe walk off in game 4, and baseball was finally back in dc. And for those who make fun of celebrating that moment, don't ever mention the scottie Reynolds shot then. As recall, we lost our next game.

You're better than this adp. I'm going to chalk it up to your irrational Reynolds hate that you're equating a NCAA hoops final four season (delivered in a thirlling E8 game over a talented, hated rival) with a baseball team choking away a NLDS and going home in the first round.

Everyone outside Kentucky hangs Final Four banners. Banners for Game 4 LDS wins in series you lose is more a DC-only thing.

If we were bashing the Nats losing in the World Series, maybe you'd have a point.

Werth has been Werth every penny. You have to remember the scenario around his contract. No owner the first few years, they spent no money as the parts were sold to up the sale price as mlb owned the team. They let Soriano and Dunn walk, both great moves but folks at the time were mad. They had never won what, 75 games to that point and no one went to the games. They sign Werth, grab pudge and in the first year finish a half game under .500 with a strong finish. Werth was the guy where the nats became real because you had owners who got a sweetheart deal on the backs of dc taxpayers. Werth changed all of that and demonstrated the first commitment to winning. He played hard, they second season nays make a huge jump, make the playoffs, he hits rhe walk off in game 4, and baseball was finally back in dc. And for those who make fun of celebrating that moment, don't ever mention the scottie Reynolds shot then. As recall, we lost our next game. Being Thete for both, the Werth ab was more dramatic as I believe it was the 13th pitch of the ab. Back to the point. Werth has paid for that contract 5x over. It made people like me buy season tickets and become fans. I'll wait for the smart-ass responses lacking all understanding of the situation. However, his contract was a home run for what it meant to building a fan blase that previously did not exist.

Nice player, but worth $126 million or whatever it was? Just to send a message that baseball was back in DC? That's a lot of cash. How many productive seasons has he had so far? 1? 1 1/2 tops?

And comparing Werth's HR to Scottie is absurd. Had Werth's HR been a gamewinner to win the pennant and send the Nats to the WS, perhaps. They didn't even win the series.

Scottie's shot got 'Nova to the F4 which is a much bigger accomplishment than winning a MLB playoff game (or a divisional series, for that matter).

Come on. You're supposed to be better than this. What happened to you?

And for those who make fun of celebrating that moment, don't ever mention the scottie Reynolds shot then. As recall, we lost our next game.
Except Scottie Reynold's shot advanced Villanova to the next round of the playoffs. Werth's home run did not.

He had issues griping the ball it happens. .

Is everyone going to let this gem slide? Issues gripping the ball???????

What page of the "Manager's Tired Cliche Book" is that on?

Being there for both, the Werth ab was more dramatic as I believe it was the 13th pitch of the ab.

image.png

We'll suppose to understand why the Nats signed Werth, but no one understands why the Phillies signed Howard to that extension when they did. What did ADP say in his lay post? Oh yea. I'll wait for all the smart-ass responses lacking all understanding of the situation.

adp is getting obliterated here. The Scotty Reynolds comparison was an epic fail.

Might want to drop the mic and call it a night. Come back tomorrow refreshed and ready to go.

You mean a bunch of nova and Phillie's fans don't agree? Who would have thunk it? Scottie's shot got us to the next game we lost, same with werth's home run. Both elimination games in a tournament said team lost. Same deal. I was lucky to be at both, probably only guy here who can say that much.
Werth was much more dramatic. Both awesome.

You mean a bunch of nova and Phillie's fans don't agree? Who would have thunk it? Scottie's shot got us to the next game we lost, same with werth's home run. Both elimination games in a tournament said team lost. Same deal. I was lucky to be at both, probably only guy here who can say that much.
Werth was much more dramatic. Both awesome.
Can't believe you doubled down on that statement. You must be trolling.

Werth's HR did not advance his team to the next round. How can you fail to see the difference?

Not to mention that the F4 >NLDS and it isn't even close.

Because we're talking about elimination games. What's the difference. Scottie's shot got us to the next game, which we lost. Again, as the only guy on this thread who was there in person for both, the home run was more dramatic. And the nats will never hold a candle to nova in terms of my fandom. You weren't there so don't have the same perspective.

Because we're talking about elimination games. What's the difference. Scottie's shot got us to the next game, which we lost. Again, as the only guy on this thread who was there in person for both, the home run was more dramatic. And the nats will never hold a candle to nova in terms of my fandom. You weren't there so don't have the same perspective.
Since I wasn't there to see Werth hit a HR that didn't win a divisional series, I lack the perspective to know that Scottie's shot to advance Villanova to the Final Four was less dramatic.

Got it. Take the rest of the day off. Not one of your better days. We all have an off day every now and then. Today is yours.

I'll concede that if Werth's HR allowed the Nats to advance to the NLCS, then you may have an argument. If the HR won the pennant or the WS, then I might even agree with you.

But a HR in an NLDS game that didn't even win the series? More dramatic than a buzzer beater that gets a small underdog Catholic school to the Final Four? No way in hell.

You realize how ignorant that sounds? You are telling someone who experienced something yoy did not what it was like. Cop, baby, cop. Because the world is only made up of the cop. Hilarious. I've had the fortune of atrending many cool sporting events and I don't think anything tops thay ab in terms of drama and excitement. To provide some context, Scottie's play took all of 5 seconds, the Werth Ab lasted a few minutes. The drama grew with each pitch. It was truly awesome. The ending for 99 percent of teams is the same, ultimately only one team wins a title. Arguing over the difference between being eliminated in the LDS or final 4 misses the entire experience of sports. Neither team won the title. Hang the final 4 banner next to the sju "perfect season" or nova NIT Champs banner. The Werth experience was cooler to experience in person. The drama was much greater. Arguing the two when you were sitting in Philly epitomizes the small-minded cop nature.

Last edited:
ADP being someplace is the deciding factor in which one was more important. Ha ha ha.....

Game-winning shot to reach Final 4 in CBB greater than HR that won a game in a series lost. Not even close. Only a man on tilt would say otherwise.

Jimmy Rollins GW double to beat Dodgers in '09 to put them up 3-1 in a series thru eventually won was bigger.

Burrs, you are the only person using the word important. Go read my quote again, and tell where I said it was more important. However, if you want to go there, Werth's homerun was certainly more important for the Nats franchise as that was the highlight of the entire franchise. They have won nothing, nada, zip. Nova, for those who didn't know, won a title in 85. Clearly a bunch of more important moments in that title run. Bottom line, each team lost their next game. Reading comprehension seems to be lacking in the CoP as well. The Werth HR was much more dramatic. Not even close. Probably the coolest single sports play I've seen live. The other one for me might be Johnny Damon's grand slam, game 7 in Yankee Stadium. Watching the ball go and it finally hits the foul pole, it was the moment we started counting down the outs until the curse was dead. That was the coolest game I've been to live as it ended 20+ years of Yankee dominance and erased the Grady F'ing Little game. Werth's HR was the coolest single moment to experience live. That's why the Nats celebrate the moment....and because it was easily the franchise highlight. Burrs, as a guy who prides himself on knowing everything about sports you should get why it was so cool. Can't remember if it was a 10 or 13 pitch AB - awesome. Seeing your team win a playoff hockey game 7 overtime would have to be way up there on that list as well.

"And for those who make fun of celebrating that moment, don't ever mention the scottie Reynolds shot then".

These are your words. Are you equating celebrating a HR that didn't advance a team with celebrating a shot that advanced a team? Yes or no?

I'm celebrating the moment. Those are my words. Yes, that moment was much better than when Scottie's shot went in. Again, I was there for both and can tell you the Werth HR was much more dramatic. It was incredible. Believe it was a 13 pitch AB, unbelievable. Also, remember the Werth HR was at home. Half the Garden wasn't even rooting for Nova. You just can't compare the two. Ashamed you guys don't appreciate it for what it was. As a sports fan, doesn't get much better.

Last edited:
I'm celebrating the moment. Those are my words. Yes, that moment was much better than when Scottie's shot went in. Again, I was there for both and can tell you the Werth HR was much more dramatic. It was incredible. Believe it was a 13 pitch AB, unbelievable.

watch it, just awesome.

Here is the full AB, it lasted over 5 minutes after being down 0-2, he got to 3-2 after fouling off 7 pitches; just incredible.

Thank you guys for bringing this up. Reliving that clip has been the highlight of my baseball year. The other thing, Scottie's shot was not even the last play of the game. Pitt inbounded the ball to Fields and he almost hit a 60 footer to win the game for Pitt. From my seat it looked his ball was going in. Regardless, Boston was amazing, loved pasting Duke on Thursday and Pitt on Saturday.

Imagine how excited you would have been if that wasn't your first season as a Nats fan.

If you thought it was an exciting moment then I can't dispute that. You found it to be exciting. I'm sure the stadium was loud for once. But this has nothing to do with the CoP.

Liz isn't a CoPer from what I can tell. Answer his question.

I answered his question. He's a math teacher who also struggles with reading comprehension. And for the record, you also celebrate Scottie's shot and that moment like crazy. However, we didn't win that year either. But if you love sports, you live for those special moments. If you don't understand why a franchise or school would celebrate those than I cannot help you.

Right. Everyone struggles with reading comprehension except you.

Nice trolling job. Cap tip.

I think it's possible that a person who is a Nats fan and Nova fan to think that Scottie's play was greater. With that said, if you enjoyed Werth's HR more then fair enough. But you being at both and telling us Werth's moment was better doesn't make it a fact to all.

Harper had to leave game last night with tightness in his ass. Not even a joke. What a warrior he is.

To provide some context, Scottie's play took all of 5 seconds, the Werth Ab lasted a few minutes. The drama grew with each pitch. It was truly awesome. The ending for 99 percent of teams is the same, ultimately only one team wins a title. Arguing over the difference between being eliminated in the LDS or final 4 misses the entire experience of sports. Neither team won the title. Hang the final 4 banner next to the sju "perfect season" or nova NIT Champs banner.

The '09 team was East Regional Champion. No clue how this is being equated with SJU PA perfect season or winning a second tier tournament. 300+ teams, highest level tourney in college hoops (and best tourney of all of sports), the Cats emerged from their region and cut down nets.

And pretty sure the minutes preceding Scottie's shot took some time off my life, and I thought the whole game pretty much from the tip was intense and high level, really can't imagine Nats Park and a bunch of people just discovering early round playoff baseball matched it. Someone in my office couldn't give away tickets to that game. But to your point, I guess your experience was different.

I'm celebrating the moment. Those are my words. Yes, that moment was much better than when Scottie's shot went in. Again, I was there for both and can tell you the Werth HR was much more dramatic. It was incredible. Believe it was a 13 pitch AB, unbelievable. Also, remember the Werth HR was at home. Half the Garden wasn't even rooting for Nova. You just can't compare the two. Ashamed you guys don't appreciate it for what it was. As a sports fan, doesn't get much better.
I thought that Nova Pitt game was about 65% Nova fans, I could be wrong as I was drinking Dewars and Diet Coke out of big gulp all game.

Nardi, I had it at 58-42. Point remains. And yes, that entire game was awesome and took a few years off my life. Combined with the Duke game as good a 3 day stretch as a nova fan

Nardi, I had it at 58-42. Point remains. And yes, that entire game was awesome and took a few years off my life. Combined with the Duke game as good a 3 day stretch as a nova fan
How many more years did the Werth game take off your life than the Pitt game?

This thread is when I really miss dmill.

I prefer east regional game-winners to mlb divisional round walk-off series extenders. But that's just me. To each their own.

I put the Werth home run a notch above the regular season no-no on the "Call the Siblings Meter". But just one notch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT