ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Free Agency

The new cap is really killing the Sixers. Taking away all the leverage they created by dumping all the high priced vets. Wonder if genius boy Sam saw this coming in his numbers machine.

#CapSpace

Yes, I would assume he did. Given the cap increase next season has been known for over a year - albeit not the exact number but everyone knew it would be big. Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, the cap space is being held to next season when the Free Agents are a better class? Or maybe to sign their own young players to extensions? How often does a LaMarcus Aldridge leave his team? Not that often. Even Kevin Love didn't leave the Cavs. Everyone knew Butler and Leonard weren't going anywhere. After them it was third "star" players left like Dragic, Chandler, Monroe, Ellis, etc. No big name vet that was unrestricted was worth signing.

This new god damn cap is making all these teams rich and when you consider they already can go beyond the cap to sign their own guys, everyone is going to be doling out ridiculous contracts to keep prime players. Basically the Sixers are forced to tank and tank and tank and tank so they can draft guys who dont have a choice whether to come or not. For now they have to do this. Perhaps this can change in a couple yrs as the team starts to show actual talent on the court, but for now they basically have no choice but to keep rolling the tanks out.

By the way, how hilarious is it that Aldridge wrote the Lakers off because "he didnt feel he could jell" with Kobe. The Mamba's ego is too big to even sell his franchise to a guy who would take the reigns from him in a year when he's retired. Dude is a first-rate dickbag. It's all about him. Him, him, him. Deep down, Kobe knows he's only got a year left and knows they team cant win a title so it's really all about personal goals like padding his stats and making more runs up the all-time stat charts. He needs the ball to do that. There cant be a veteran co-pilot who requires 20 shots a game. Cant wait to see how he treats Russell like a second-class citizen.

The Lakers are going to STINK, and that's good news for the Sixers.

Jason Thompson and Carl Landry traded to Sixers. I'm guessing for nothing. 2 decent bench players. Not sure if they're sticking around. Probably not.

Nik Stauskas traded to Sixers. Sixers and several teams hard after Stauskas (according to Wojnarowksi) who apparently played hurt all season. Sixers sending 2 euro scrubs to Sac for Stauskas and to take on the contracts of Landry and Thompson to give Sac cap relief to sign Rondo.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. The Kings
traded the #8 pick in last year's draft. A top 10 protected #1 pick in '18. And give the Sixers the right to swap first round picks in the next 2 drafts...for cap space to sign Rondo and Wes Matthews?! Oh yeah that'll move the needle for them in the West. This might be the dumbest trade of all time. Bill Simmons just tweeted the Kings are changing their name to "the Sacramento Kings of comedy". A flat out retarded trade. Point blank. If the Kings get the #1 overall pick this yr the Sixers have the right to swap for it. Lmao. This is hilarious.

Last edited:
If the Kings-Sixers trade was done in a fantasy league it would be vetoed. No way would enough people think it was fair.

And I don't know who pulled off the better trade this week - Hextall or Hinkie. I'm leaning towards Hinkie. They tried to trade up to get Stauskas and couldn't do it. So now this time they basically get him for nothing PLUS a first round pick. I wonder if they'll keep Landry and Thompson for a bit?

I had to read that trade about 5 times to see if i missed something. How can that be a real trade? Great job by Sixers getting that done.

Stauskas shot 36% last year. That's the only part of his game that is on an NBA level.

That's the guard Philly adds?

Stauskas shot 36% last year. That's the only part of his game that is on an NBA level.

They gave up nothing to.....
1) Take a flyer on a top 10 pick from last year
2) Get another 1st rounder (probably in '18)
3) Swap options in '16 and '17 ==> increases lottery odds

Total fleece of Divac

$15 million in salary for 3 blah players...

Is that the free signing?

Can't bitch about first round add, thats good

Even with taking on the 2 contracts, the Sixers are $20 million under the cap and $12.5 million under the floor. Hinkie's management of the cap has given the team options like this over the next 2 years before the cap goes up.

Yes, if you include Stauskas. I think they like him a little. Plus he is still on his rookie deal (entering year 2).

Stauskas shot over 40% in the second half from 3. He was injured and needed to adjust to the speed of the NBA. Very similar to Ben McLemore but Stauskas started to adapt during his rookie year. Very good addition to a team that needs shooters.

Good luck with the great white hope.

Should have kept Kyle if that is what u want.

Afflalo to NY.

Gonna be a really long year for the Knicks.

Not sure what the Knicks are trying to do. They blew up the roster to tank to get Okafor or Towns. Instead got a long-game euro who's years away from doing anything. Yet are signing OK vet free agents like Afflalo? What for? So they can win 20 games instead of 15? You're either all the way out or all the way in. Afflalo is a no man's land sort of veteran addition. They were pursuing another aging vet like David West, who turned them down because he said he's getting old and wants to win. He did them a favor, frankly. When I talk to Knicks fans they brag about having Phil Jackson. As if he's proven as a GM? For one, he's not coaching. Secondly, he only succeeded when coaching Jordan-Pippen and Kobe-Shaq. Erik Spoelstra could do that. I wont be surprised one bit if he gives up doing this in a few yrs when he realizes how hard it is. He's never been one to take on immense challenges. This is certainly that. That's see if he's in it for the long run. The Knicks fanbase isnt exactly a patient group.

I watched the Kings a good bit late night on the NBA Ticket. Stauskas seemed to struggle adjusting to the speed of the NBA game for the first half of the year and the Kings were giving the majority of the mins to vets like Collison, McLemore and Gay. He got sort of buried on the bench as the Kings got off to a decent start (by their standards). Then Cousins started missing games and the team fell out of contention quickly. Then Stauskas started getting more consistent mins and started playing much better down the stretch. He shot over 40% from 3 in the final 2 months and looked more comfortable in what was a dysfunctional situation with the coach, and team, quitting. Definitely not the sort of player a team should be giving up on a year into his NBA career when he only played 2 yrs in college. He's not your prototypical white shooter. He can put the ball on the floor and is a good athlete. His weakness is defense. But you would hope that would be mitigated on this roster with Noel and/or Embiid protecting the rim.

im now starting to understand the Hinkie plan as these teams spend ridiculous money on avg players. Build through the draft, keep payroll down and then if you become a contender then sign a free agent who can put you over the edge. do not spend all your money in FA and then spend the next 3 years as the 6th seed with no real chance to win anything. then spend the next two years trying to trade all the contracts you signed 5 years ago.

Reactions: rb nova
Monta Ellis to Pacers. Turned down more money from Kings. Nice job, Kings. Now go sign Wes Matthews and his busted achilles.

if the kings strike out in free agency, and cousins gets hurt/traded/checks out, you're looking at a team that could absolutely pick in the top 3 this year. let's say the sixers own draft pick is around the 8-11 range this year with natural improvement and okafor, they could theoretically have two top 5 picks from sacramento/lakers.

lakers are scaring me, though, if they don't bring anyone in they could absolutely be in top 3 of draft and keep their pick yet again.

c'mon 1/4/8/11(heat)/25(thunder)!

Lakers will sign some middle level guys eventually and probably end up in the 5-7 range. Kings will be somewhere in the top 10. Miami likely in the 11-15 range. Sixers...who knows. Probably 5-7. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT