ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Trade Deadline Thread

Burrs5

VUSports.com All-American
Jan 24, 2016
Let's warm this baby up.

A rumored blockbuster between CLV-NYK-BOS. Basically, Melo to CLV, Love to BOS, and picks/parts to CoDB.

One problem: Melo won't waive his no-trade clause.

This would be the best course of action for Knicks. CLV is better off with Love. If Melo is serious about having a legitimate chance at title, then he serve himself well by hitching his wagon to James.

My gut says Melo remains scared of his old lady and stays in CoDB. Knicks continue to flounder until he's gone.

I need people to give me the top 3 names to be moved?

Do the Sixers make a move? Minor? Major?

1. Jeff Teague (ATL) to a contender.
2. Eric Bledsoe or anyone on Phoenix in a fire sale
3. Goran Dragic

1. Jeff Teague (ATL) to a contender.
2. Eric Bledsoe or anyone on Phoenix in a fire sale
3. Goran Dragic

What makes you think Dragic? I haven't heard anything on that.

Oh yea, the customary jokes are welcomed in this thread, too.

Has a pretty good deal locked up until the salary cap gets bumped after the season (he is signed through 2020). Would be relatively easy to add a piece (Simmons mentioned Conley/Barnes) to make a push....that deal would leave Miami with a lineup of Conley/Wade/Deng/Bosh/Whiteside with Barnes and Winslow as first guys off the bench...think that would vault them into the second best (talent wise) in the East.

I like Conley as a player. He's really steady, but I think a touch overrated. I think Mempgis has been a good team because they defended and their big were matchup nightmares.

Not a bad thought, tho. That type of deal could vault them to top 2 like you mentioned. They might lose Conley at year's end. I think Whiteside could go, too. Either this week or as an unrestricted FA in offseason.

Melo doesn't give a crap about winning. Just cares about his brand. And keeping his socialite wife satisfied.

Reactions: ncaaball2
Isola was the one that reported on that potential deal and he gets no information from anyone remotely connected to msg so I assume it was Cleveland that feed him the fantasy. It's not happening, but as a nyk fan I'd be good with it though I'd prefer it if crowder was also in the mix.

why would Cleveland want Melo over Love? Melo does not defend and dominates the ball, how is that good for Cleveland?

Phx is a joke, that franchise needs to blow it up and start over.

No shock that Melo wants to avoid the spotlight of actually having to produce for a title-contending team. He's happy collecting paychecks. I do find it amusing though that the supposed "greatest player on the planet" needs to always surround himself with "superstars". Cleveland would be much better served surrounding LBJ with hard-working role-players, and not another Kevin Love or Melo.

Because Melo is a better match up for those teams who have great stretch 4's. He also matches well with Lebron, especially in half court sets you see as the playoffs slow down. Melo is a great second banana to a guy like Lebron. Think about what that does to opposing defenses. Take Golden State who has multiple great defenders. How they have to slide Green and Iggy on both those guys as opposed to sticking Iggy on Lebron and allowing Green to be a one-man defensive wrecking crew. The trade makes tons of sense. Burrs, surprised you don't get this. Melo can absolutely play defense at the 4. Again, with Lebron who can slide anywhere from 3-5 it makes perfect sense on both ends of the court. It's not like they care if he's playing defense against Denver in March.

Last edited:
yeah and i guess it helps when Lebron is out to have Melo on the floor to score. Cleveland does need another scorer, i think theyd be better off with a Korver or any pure shooter. they lack a three point threat.

Melo is fat and out of shape. he would need to seriously change his lifestyle to play for a contender.

Cleveland lacks a 3 pt shooter? They are tied for 3rd in the league at 10.1 makes per game. They were in the top 3 last year as well. They shoot it just fine. Melo would absolutely play with Lebron. You think as competitive as those two are he's not coming to play? He knows everyone will blame him if they fail. It won't happen but not because the Cavs won't make the deal.

Because Melo is a better match up for those teams who have great stretch 4's. He also matches well with Lebron, especially in half court sets you see as the playoffs slow down. Melo is a great second banana to a guy like Lebron. Think about what that does to opposing defenses. Take Golden State who has multiple great defenders. How they have to slide Green and Iggy on both those guys as opposed to sticking Iggy on Lebron and allowing Green to be a one-man defensive wrecking crew. The trade makes tons of sense. Burrs, surprised you don't get this. Melo can absolutely play defense at the 4. Again, with Lebron who can slide anywhere from 3-5 it makes perfect sense on both ends of the court. It's not like they care if he's playing defense against Denver in March.

I don't get it because Melo isn't a winning player. The ball sticks when it hits his hands and he's not a good defensive player. It would be awkward in such a short amount of time. Melo is a terrific scorer in this league. It ends there. If he was anything truly special, then he would carried a team or two on a playoff run. He's offensively gifted, but lacks in so many other areas. Yea, I don't get it.

And to prove how much he cares about winning or being part of something that could win, then he'll just keep his ball in the CoDB. Further proves my point.

And I enjoy watching him play offense. One of the best offensive players in the league over the last decade.

Cleveland lacks a 3 pt shooter? They are tied for 3rd in the league at 10.1 makes per game. They were in the top 3 last year as well. They shoot it just fine. Melo would absolutely play with Lebron. You think as competitive as those two are he's not coming to play? He knows everyone will blame him if they fail. It won't happen but not because the Cavs won't make the deal.

The Cavs need a 2-guard. Shumpert is either always hurt or not good enough.

Cavs play Smith, Shumpert, and Irving at the 2. they don't need a 2 guard. they need to play like they did on Christmas against the Warriors, albeit with a less-rusty Irving.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Shumpert could certainly be shooting better from deep, but he's phenomenal on defense. unless you're watching them regularly, you're not going to get it and that's fine. he's a valuable piece.

why would Cleveland want Melo over Love? Melo does not defend and dominates the ball, how is that good for Cleveland?

Phx is a joke, that franchise needs to blow it up and start over.

not disagreeing about Melo but Kevin Love is a terrible defender

The Cavs need a 2-guard. Shumpert is either always hurt or not good enough.
What's wrong with Smith and Shumpert? Every team not named Golden State can use another quality wing. IMO, the key for Cleveland is getting another halfcourt scorer to supplement Lebron. Love was supposed to be that guy but his defensive shortcomings hurt and he's not great with Lebron. Moving Love for that guy seems like a no-brainer. Especially for a team like Boston and NY. Why in the world wouldn't these teams do a 3 team trade? Love makes all the sense in the world to Boston. The Knicks can get younger/assets and the Cavs get what they need to make the push at Golden State. If I'm NY I announce the trade publically to put the pressure on Melo to waive his no trade clause. Which seems to be the biggest obstacle to a trade. I wonder if Lebron worked on Melo over the AS break.

Love was better served being a true four man before he lost so much weight and began shooting a ton of threes.

What's wrong with Smith and Shumpert? Every team not named Golden State can use another quality wing. IMO, the key for Cleveland is getting another halfcourt scorer to supplement Lebron. Love was supposed to be that guy but his defensive shortcomings hurt and he's not great with Lebron. Moving Love for that guy seems like a no-brainer. Especially for a team like Boston and NY. Why in the world wouldn't these teams do a 3 team trade? Love makes all the sense in the world to Boston. The Knicks can get younger/assets and the Cavs get what they need to make the push at Golden State. If I'm NY I announce the trade publically to put the pressure on Melo to waive his no trade clause. Which seems to be the biggest obstacle to a trade. I wonder if Lebron worked on Melo over the AS break.

I get that you can't have everything on team, but if they are going to upgrade at a position, then it should be 2-guard. If not, then Shumpert/Smith is ok for now.

You answered the question. As of now, it seems like Melo won't waive his no-trade clause. If this all turns out to be accurate, then I really don't need to hear the Anthony apologists state that he doesn't have anyone to play with. Apparently, you have a chance now. Again, if reports are accurate.

I get that you can't have everything on team, but if they are going to upgrade at a position, then it should be 2-guard. If not, then Shumpert/Smith is ok for now.

You answered the question. As of now, it seems like Melo won't waive his no-trade clause. If this all turns out to be accurate, then I really don't need to hear the Anthony apologists state that he doesn't have anyone to play with. Apparently, you have a chance now. Again, if reports are accurate.
No, get the best player. The NBA has become positionless. A 2 guard, a 3, a stretch 4 all become somewhat meaningless. You are basically playing with 4 or 5 out and 1 in. C'mon, you're supposed to be the sports guru.

No, get the best player. The NBA has become positionless. A 2 guard, a 3, a stretch 4 all become somewhat meaningless. You are basically playing with 4 or 5 out and 1 in. C'mon, you're supposed to be the sports guru.

It's not that great of an upgrade, if any at all. On top of that, just because LeBron/Melo are boys doesn't mean it works or makes them better. Stop playing fantasy basketball here. Instead, keep the core in tact, and if possible, upgrade the position that needs upgrading the most.

I"m not playing fantasy basketball. I described exactly how it would work and why it would be an upgrade. Melo is a better stretch 4 and fits much better with James. Again, for a guy to claims to be all knowing about the sports it should be obvious why this is true. Love sucks defensively and doesn't help them against the teams they need to beat out West. We're two years into this with Lebron and Love and it's just not a very good fit. Love would be better served somewhere else and the Cavs need an upgrade. Can you imagine Love trying to chase Draymont Green for a series? Good luck as they will pick-and-roll him to death. This is a perfect example why I never talk hoops on this board. This one is rather obvious. You're talking about upgrading a specific position when they don't exist anymore in the NBA. You understand how the game is played today right? Lebron can play anywhere from 1-5, it really doesn't matter. You need a bunch of wings and maybe one post guy although that's not even a necessity anymore. Positionless ball is what it has become.

I"m not playing fantasy basketball. I described exactly how it would work and why it would be an upgrade. Melo is a better stretch 4 and fits much better with James. Again, for a guy to claims to be all knowing about the sports it should be obvious why this is true. Love sucks defensively and doesn't help them against the teams they need to beat out West. We're two years into this with Lebron and Love and it's just not a very good fit. Love would be better served somewhere else and the Cavs need an upgrade. Can you imagine Love trying to chase Draymont Green for a series? Good luck as they will pick-and-roll him to death. This is a perfect example why I never talk hoops on this board. This one is rather obvious. You're talking about upgrading a specific position when they don't exist anymore in the NBA. You understand how the game is played today right? Lebron can play anywhere from 1-5, it really doesn't matter. You need a bunch of wings and maybe one post guy although that's not even a necessity anymore. Positionless ball is what it has become.

One, enough with the, "claims to be blah, blah, blah," nonsense. I never did such a thing. Are you going to add this little feature to every response?

Anthony sucks defensively. James wants to play with guys who move the ball quickly for open shots. That's how he plays. He doesn't need Melo, iso-ing, pounding the ball into the ground for 12 of the final 14 seconds of the shot clock.

And Anthony is going to chase D. Green? Yea, with that gimpy knee that will go over well.

Positions do exist in the terms of match-ups. Just stop it. The Warriors are the best team and unique, so it might appear that way with them.

Look, it doesn't really matter. CLV more than likely has no chance of beating either GS, or the Spurs in a 7-game series. But Carmelo Anthony isn't a player you hitch your wagon to. Just look at his career. He's non-winner in the NBA. He's the only superstar that gets Top 10 status without ever having to advance in the playoffs.

If I were the Knicks I would beg him to waive that no-trade clause. Beg him.

Love is better at shooting the ball from the arc. So, not sure how Anthony would be the better "stretch" four.

the continued talk about Love not being a good fit with LBJ is so old at this point. there's no substance to it.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
the continued talk about Love not being a good fit with LBJ is so old at this point. there's no substance to it.

False - they both like to operate from the same spot on the floor on offense. Love is relegated to the corners with Lebron on the court. Love is wasted in the corners.

Burrs you are saying g stuff that suggests you are stuck 10 years ago. There is no such thing as a 2 or shooting anymore. You have wings and post guys. Teams space the floor and 4 guys, sometimes 5 face the basket. Talking about the need to upgrade a specific guard means you have no idea what you are watching. So I'll keep repeating it when you harp on talking about a two guard as if this is 1998. The cave need another wing scorer. You watch them play and Kevin. Love is 20 feet from the basket facing the hoop. His game is little different from their 2 guard accept he guard anyone on the other team. This will be further exposed if he's forced to guard green in the nba finals. Thats exactly why you do this trade and it makes a lot more sense than adding some pedestrian two guard. You are adding an elite wing scorer who can also move his feet defensively. You have Thompson and mazlov if you need to go big.

False - they both like to operate from the same spot on the floor on offense. Love is relegated to the corners with Lebron on the court. Love is wasted in the corners.

yeah, not even close. Love doesn't spend the majority of the Cavs' offensive possessions looking to take his man off the dribble while iso'd up top. that's Lebron.

not to mention, Love's taken 72 threes from the corners this year, compared to 215 from above the break. he's not sitting in the corner all game like you want to believe. just not true.

Burrs you are saying g stuff that suggests you are stuck 10 years ago. There is no such thing as a 2 or shooting anymore. You have wings and post guys. Teams space the floor and 4 guys, sometimes 5 face the basket. Talking about the need to upgrade a specific guard means you have no idea what you are watching. So I'll keep repeating it when you harp on talking about a two guard as if this is 1998. The cave need another wing scorer. You watch them play and Kevin. Love is 20 feet from the basket facing the hoop. His game is little different from their 2 guard accept he guard anyone on the other team. This will be further exposed if he's forced to guard green in the nba finals. Thats exactly why you do this trade and it makes a lot more sense than adding some pedestrian two guard. You are adding an elite wing scorer who can also move his feet defensively. You have Thompson and mazlov if you need to go big.

I didn't mention 2-guard in my last post. Again, my point. If you can upgrade over Smith/Shumpert without disrupting the rest of the team, then that's what I would do. You can call the position whatever you want. I wouldn't bring Melo anywhere near this team. But that's just me. Feel free to disagree. Melo, is an elite scorer, but does it in a way that I don't believe would work with James/CLV. Again, that's just me. No one said pedestrian. I said upgrade. Not sure it's even possible. And stop, with the Melo moving his feet on defense. He's missing games now with a balky knee and has never, I repeat, never been known as a good defender.

Again, it doesn't matter in the end. GS is to good and if the Spurs beat them, then so are they.

We disagree, so let's move on.

We disagree, so let's move on.
200_s.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT