ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Trade Deadline Thread

And virtually none of those required any magic to acquire.

Ok.

Some of the trades were savvy. Not spending unwisely was good. When JC goes to work these things will be directly involved. That's all I'm saying.

Anyhow, no one used the word magic.

Ok.

Some of the trades were savvy. Not spending unwisely was good. When JC goes to work these things will be directly involved. That's all I'm saying.

Anyhow, no one used the word magic.
Well of course they would. The Sixers sacrificed 3 and looking more like 5 entire seasons so not only must these things be involved they need to lead to a winner and quickly. They have already pissed away 3 seasons.

Well of course they would. The Sixers sacrificed 3 and looking more like 5 entire seasons so not only must these things be involved they need to lead to a winner and quickly. They have already pissed away 3 seasons.
TtP

Obviously sixers won't take on any talent that might result in wins. Maybe they move a Covington or a Stauskas or something.

Being serious for a moment, as a Sixer what potential deals should I be excited about? If they could somehow turn Okafor into usable actual players I'd be excited. However, my guess is that waits until the off season.

The Golden State Warriors pissed away about 12 seasons before becoming what they are. What's your point? I'm curious. Three years ago, what would have been your approach? You do realize that if you average 15 wins or 30 wins over a three year stretch that you're still irrelevant.

Seriously, what exactly did they sacrifice? A few 31-51 campaigns? Man, I'm pissed that I missed out on those.

Being serious for a moment, as a Sixer what potential deals should I be excited about? If they could somehow turn Okafor into usable actual players I'd be excited. However, my guess is that waits until the off season.

Agree. Or, I hope. You're 50+ Games into this season, so ride it out and get the most ping pong balls. The only way I say make a major move is if it's a no-brainer.

The Sixers plan is never going to work because they don't play in a desirable free agent market, nor do they have a superstar in a less desirable market.

Thus why LA, Miami, NY, Chicago (and Cleveland b/c of LeBron) are the only markets that ever get any free agents of consequence.

Reactions: adp98
A couple of trades have gone down.

DET sends Jennings & Ilyasova to ORL for Tobias Harris.

A smaller one involving MEMP/CHAR/MIA: C. Lee, Birdman, PJ Hairston, Roberts, and 4 Hinkie specials.

The Sixers plan is never going to work because they don't play in a desirable free agent market, nor do they have a superstar in a less desirable market.

Thus why LA, Miami, NY, Chicago (and Cleveland b/c of LeBron) are the only markets that ever get any free agents of consequence.

I don't believe that. Not even a little. Under the right circumstances/available $$$ players will go just about anywhere.

Looks like Bosh out for the season. A big boon to that Sixers pick creeping up to the mid to low teens.

The Golden State Warriors pissed away about 12 seasons before becoming what they are. What's your point? I'm curious. Three years ago, what would have been your approach? You do realize that if you average 15 wins or 30 wins over a three year stretch that you're still irrelevant.

Seriously, what exactly did they sacrifice? A few 31-51 campaigns? Man, I'm pissed that I missed out on those.
This makes no sense. The Warriors had 4 straight 17-21 win seasons (98-02). Followed by 10 years with 1 playoff appearance. Eventually one of those yawn seasons netted them the 7th pick and they drafted the MVP in a stroke of blind luck after 15 years of bad luck.

Try to win. The rest is a total crap shoot.

Reactions: TheJoker203
This makes no sense. The Warriors had 4 straight 17-21 win seasons (98-02). Followed by 10 years with 1 playoff appearance. Eventually one of those yawn seasons netted them the 7th pick and they drafted the MVP in a stroke of blind luck after 15 years of bad luck.

Try to win. The rest is a total crap shoot.

Yup, and their other two All-Stars were picked 11th (Klay)and in the 2nd Round (Green).

So, keeping Evan Turner, Thad Young, and Spencer Hawes would be an example of trying to win? Signing some 3rd tier FAs for 44 mil over 4 years would be trying to win?

Completely agree that a stroke of luck in a Yawn year netted them the MVP. Just like a stroke of luck netted the Bulls Jordan because another team passed on the GOAT (Not known at the time). And it was stroke of luck that David Robinson got hurt, which lead the Spurs to tank and nab arguably the greatest PF of all time. Just like CLV sucking in the year James comes out. Another stroke of luck. Or, the stars
aligning in MIA (literally) was a stroke of luck. Or, James being born in Akron which prompted him to return to CLV. Yep, tons of luck out there. I get that. You're correct.

However, the luck can have a better chance when you put yourself in positions to draft higher, collect assets, and have max cap space.

No guarantees, but since nothing else ever worked, this way was worth a shot. I mean, really. Their ceiling by "trying to win" over the last 3 years was 25-32 wins. I'll pass.

The Warriors just sucked. They weren't trying to lose. It's not the same so don't get confused.

Reactions: NickleDimer
I don't believe that. Not even a little. Under the right circumstances/available $$$ players will go just about anywhere.
Burrs lives in the fantasy world where people with options want to live in Philly. I've made this point many times before. Name the free agents who signed with Philly? A broken down Elton Brand because he got massively overpaid. No one is coming to play in Philly. Orlando is a freaking better destination. However, you'll never convince Burrs because the world begins and ends in Philly.

Bottom line is all its a crapshoot predicated on luck. And tanking to "get good" has not done anything. No superstar to show for it...not even close. So do your fans a service and actually put a decent product on floor and try your luck in draft.

Burrs lives in the fantasy world where people with options want to live in Philly. I've made this point many times before. Name the free agents who signed with Philly? A broken down Elton Brand because he got massively overpaid. No one is coming to play in Philly. Orlando is a freaking better destination. However, you'll never convince Burrs because the world begins and ends in Philly.

It has nothing to do with the world beginning and ending in Philly. Don't be a simpleton.

The reason there haven't been any high level FAs sign with the Sixers over the years is more about opportunity. It has nothing to do with Philly. It's a matter of timing. Having space when good FAs are available, as well as having other players in place. Now you know this.

The other three sports have had their share of luring good FAs over the years.

Another thing are you talking about the top 3/4 players in the league, or all FAs?

ADP, just be patient. It will happen.

My prediction is that a marquee player will be brought here via a trade, then with that player in place, a significant FA will join him in the next two years.

The Warriors just sucked. They weren't trying to lose. It's not the same so don't get confused.

The Sixers try to win every night. They're just not going to waste time adding a couple of overpriced, 3rd tier FAs to maybe get them to 30 wins. What's the point?

So from a management standpoint, the NBA is mostly luck? Sounds goofy to me.

The Sixers try to win every night. They're just not going to waste time adding a couple of overpriced, 3rd tier FAs to maybe get them to 30 wins. What's the point?
No they aren't. They don't get players who can win. In fact, see gdog's post above, they go out of their way to avoid getting players who can build towards anything this season.

Don't worry, once Dario Saric brings his 11.4 points per game from the European Leagues to the Sixers, they will be set.

Lost in all this is the importance of building a winning culture and developing players. What is happening is a disaster for the current players. As burrs likes to say, this isn't fantasy sports. All this losing has a human cost.

Too soon to tell. It may eventually.
The NBA will eventually lower the percentages for the lottery. I think the worst team has a 25% chance to get the #1 pick, they will probably cut that in half or something and the Hinkie's of the world will be out of a job.

Don't worry, once Dario Saric brings his 11.4 points per game from the European Leagues to the Sixers, they will be set.

Saric plays 20 mins a game. They play a large rotation over there. Games are 40 mins. Not 48. Pace is slower, it's not 112-108 NBA streetball. Teams average 78-79 ppg.

No they aren't. They don't get players who can win. In fact, see gdog's post above, they go out of their way to avoid getting players who can build towards anything this season.

The players they do have ARE trying to win because they're playing for their next contract. Problem is the team constructed can't possibly win because they aren't good enough to do so. The front office is trying to lose by putting bums out there. The players themselves aren't trying to lose. They're just not good enough to win.

The players they do have ARE trying to win because they're playing for their next contract. Problem is the team constructed can't possibly win because they aren't good enough to do so. The front office is trying to lose by putting bums out there. The players themselves aren't trying to lose. They're just not good enough to win.
Right, the organization is trying to lose. Which impacts the players who end up staying.

There's definitely something to be said about having a losing culture and that rubbing off on guys like Noel and Okafor as they go forward. But you would hope those guys would know the difference. And know what it takes to win. It takes more talented teammates. Something they were accustomed to coming up.

Jayson-Werth-bat-flip-040914.gif

It has nothing to do with the world beginning and ending in Philly. Don't be a simpleton.

The reason there haven't been any high level FAs sign with the Sixers over the years is more about opportunity. It has nothing to do with Philly. It's a matter of timing. Having space when good FAs are available, as well as having other players in place. Now you know this.

The other three sports have had their share of luring good FAs over the years.

Another thing are you talking about the top 3/4 players in the league, or all FAs?

ADP, just be patient. It will happen.

My prediction is that a marquee player will be brought here via a trade, then with that player in place, a significant FA will join him in the next two years.
I would imagine Philly has to be one of the top 3 or 4 least enticing places in the NBA for a FA to go.

Saric plays 20 mins a game. They play a large rotation over there. Games are 40 mins. Not 48. Pace is slower, it's not 112-108 NBA streetball. Teams average 78-79 ppg.
The fish that saved Philadelphia, 2016 version and new city of course.

dario-saric.jpg

Porzingis averaged less than 11 ppg in his last season in Europe. Stop wasting my time with this nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT