ADVERTISEMENT

NHL

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
It's been a terrible season for the Flyers minus Giroux and Voracek, but it's nice to know that they still own the Pens. Obviously I would rather be in playoff position than celebrate a meaningless regular season win, but I will still take it. No matter how skilled the Pens are, they are still so easily rattled. They are nothing more than at best a 1 series winner in the playoffs.

Side note, I can't stand Zac Rinaldo. He has got to be one of the most useless players in all of sports.

Re: Flyers

Fixed the title. Please don't put up a league thread and only talk about the CoP sports team. It is very trashy.

Thanks to the staggered start time of that one, it was a nice alternative to the SOTU between that game and the Rangers. The Flyers problem is not new - defense defense defense and a goal tender. Their defense is truly bad. Giroux doing everything he can to keep them in most games.

Rangers go into the break 16-3 in last 19 with basically one bad loss in 2 months. (at Dallas). They are pretty good and fun to watch. High speed attack, creative offensively and what i still believe is the best D top to bottom in the league, plus the goalie. When the are on, and they have been on a lot, they are great to watch. Kreider turning into one of my favorite players in a long time. Big fast and mean. They are still a high end #1 C away from a Cup though IMO. They could also use a bit more size and to win a few more faceoffs. Not terribly flawed all in all though.

Once again some really good teams out west. St Louis, Nashville, LA (champs until they are not) Anaheim and Hawks are all damn good. East is Islanders (extremely fast) Detroit, Pens and Rangers. TB, Montreal and Caps all good too.
Will be a crazy spring I think. Going to see some absolute wars.

Not as fun with Flyers and NJ out of it though. Islanders absolutely real. If you have not see Tarashenko play this year, it's worth your time.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Thanks to the staggered start time of that one, it was a nice alternative to the SOTU between that game and the Rangers. The Flyers problem is not new - defense defense defense and a goal tender. Their defense is truly bad. Giroux doing everything he can to keep them in most games.

Rangers go into the break 16-3 in last 19 with basically one bad loss in 2 months. (at Dallas). They are pretty good and fun to watch. High speed attack, creative offensively and what i still believe is the best D top to bottom in the league, plus the goalie. When the are on, and they have been on a lot, they are great to watch. Kreider turning into one of my favorite players in a long time. Big fast and mean. They are still a high end #1 C away from a Cup though IMO. They could also use a bit more size and to win a few more faceoffs. Not terribly flawed all in all though.

Once again some really good teams out west. St Louis, Nashville, LA (champs until they are not) Anaheim and Hawks are all damn good. East is Islanders (extremely fast) Detroit, Pens and Rangers. TB, Montreal and Caps all good too.
Will be a crazy spring I think. Going to see some absolute wars.

Not as fun with Flyers and NJ out of it though. Islanders absolutely real. If you have not see Tarashenko play this year, it's worth your time.
I don't think goalie is as big an issue as it has been in the past. Mason has been fine when he hasn't been injured. It's just their terrible, terrible defense. I know that losing Timonen hurts, but when a 40 year old defensemen is your best option on the blue line that is a problem.

the Flyers have 2 players in the top 3-4 in the NHL in scoring and are very likely going to be a bottom 5-6 team.

when is the last time something like that happened?

Quick question on Voracek as I don't follow hockey all that closely. Is he really this good or is it an aberration? Seems like an extremely odd player to be leading the NHL in points (and by 4) this late into the season, did I miss something? Also, how did the Flyers acquire him? Is this something that can be kept up for the next couple years and a valuable building block or likely to never be repeated?

Basically if someone could be provide me with a nice summary on Voracek I'd really appreciate it. Trying to understand what's happening better. Thanks.

Voracek was a top 10 pick of Columbus so he has always been highly touted....he was acquired in the Jeff Carter trade (along with Columbus' 1st that year which netted Couturier)

hes only 25 years old so he is in the prime of his career. He is signed through next year and then he will be UFA.

Thank you Bmoney. In your personal opinion, do you think he can be a top point getter in the league for the next couple years? Would he currently rank in the top 10 players in your opinion? Top 20?

Originally posted by selmore1:
Thank you Bmoney. In your personal opinion, do you think he can be a top point getter in the league for the next couple years? Would he currently rank in the top 10 players in your opinion? Top 20?
I think he can be a top point getter if he consistently players with Giroux...I am not sure he is good enough to carry a team or even a line on his own, but he is still a very good player.

Not sold on Mason and Emery is proving to be an average backup. Apparently some of the younger Goalies will be ready in a few years. Flyers defense sucks. Streit is a nice player but beyond that (including Del Zotto) they suck. The problem is that they have so much locked up in the existing roster at D.

Wayne Train is doing nothing for me. His hustle level has dropped as well. Injured?

Rinaldo just doesn't fit. Like his energy but he gives you zero offense and a team that sucks this bad doesn't need an antagonizer. We need more guys that can put the puck in the net.

I hope the Flyers tank it the rest of the way. Move up as far as you can in the draft.

I did a little research the other night on Flyers' drafts. Since the '07 draft they have made 49 picks. Three of them are on the team. THREE. One is named Rinaldo, the other two are Couterier and Laughton. Pitiful.

#1 reason why they struggle . Defense. Put better D-men in front of Mason and he'd be fine. He's played respectably before the injury. Emery played really well last night, but those types of outings are few and far between.

Hopefully, some of these intriguing D-men they have in minors/juniors pan out.. Need a complete overhaul there. It appears to be a position of strength in terms of prospects. We'll see, though.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
I did a little research the other night on Flyers' drafts. Since the '07 draft they have made 49 picks. Three of them are on the team. THREE. One is named Rinaldo, the other two are Couterier and Laughton. Pitiful.

#1 reason why they struggle . Defense. Put better D-men in front of Mason and he'd be fine. He's played respectably before the injury. Emery played really well last night, but those types of outings are few and far between.

Hopefully, some of these intriguing D-men they have in minors/juniors pan out.. Need a complete overhaul there. It appears to be a position of strength in terms of prospects. We'll see, though.
Giroux is one another one. But point taken. You gotta produce in the draft in a cap league.

Yea, I went back to the year after Giroux was taken. So, I guess it's been 8 drafts. Again, pitiful.

Crosby played 23 minutes on Wednesday vs Chicago, took a shoot out attempt and then said he was too injured to play in the All Star game.

We all know this game is meaningless and a pain in the ass for players, but at least be legitimately hurt before you treat the fans like a holes. Yes, I know he's not alone here. I keep hearing this guy is the face of the sport though.

Mike Richards released by Kings. How the mighty have fallen. I know he hasn't been good for the Kings the past couple years, and his contract is huge - but this is surprising.

Flyers question. Will Hexy be able to unload any of the dead weight on this team?

Seems like there is dead weight on the Flyers every year.

That franchise is a train wreck.

Why oh why are the Flyers not in full fledged tank mode trying to get a top 2 pick in this year's draft?

Sit Giroux and/or Scoreacek with a phantom injury. That should do the trick.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
Chris Kreider is never going to learn, is he?

ran another goalie tonight
I hope not. He barely touches these guys and they go ballistic. Goalies are the biggest babies in the sport. I have no issue with any of it. He got called for the penalty and that's that. He's becoming an effective player and he has to stay the same way. I hope he does it even more. I'll take those two minutes every time. Even Butch goring said it "It's a call they make today, and it;'s call I dont particularly like " And most of the other, it's been every bit about he defenseman getting beat by his speed and pushing or taking his feet out.

So, I hope he keeps doing it.

Anyway, Islanders really good right now. Team speed and pretty amazing, and Halak has given them a lot of stability. Rangers are like 16-4 in last 20 (2 L's to Islanders, 4 on the season) and I think they've gained 1 point on them? Maybe none after last night. They look great right now. Defintely the better team.

"barely touches these guys"

Ranger fan logic at its finest.

he is going to get Lundqvist killed if he keeps this up.

"barely touches these guys"

Ranger fan logic at its finest.

he is going to get Lundqvist killed if he keeps this up.
NOt at all - I mean the other announcer is saying he doesn't like the rule - he clearly put the brakes on before contact. So, he barely grazed Halak -- and Hamonic was on him as well. It's the right call but let's not act like he RAN him - he didn't. We've seen way worse by 100 players.

Kid plays very fast and very hard. He's going to knock a few people over. There's going to be contact. He will get called for it. He's not a dirty player. Has an edge, but we're not talking Carcillo here. And you know this.

And again, I'm not going to get on a kid for driving the net. Not ever. And in incidents past, he CLEARY beats his man is taken down. Nothing to see here. Just hard hockey.

BTW -- Lundqvist has been run plenty of times - and to be honest I don't have an issue with any of it. That's the game. He's hard to beat most nights and getting in tight is part of solving him. Some have been called and some have not. Part of the game. Goalies are over protected to begin with.

Can I get some video of this? The exaggeration meter is plugged in and ready to be used.

I never met a hockey fan complain about the rough stuff as much as B$ does. Speaking of which, it was really fun to watch the Flyers/Pens last week. I always had a sweet spot for the rough stuff, over the edge type things. I understand it's a different time, but those days were awesome. I once had a solid collection of fight tapes.

Video.

He could have stopped earlier, but he barely bumps him. It's a penalty in today's NHL - but it's pretty routine.

Again these are the ISLANDER announcers - not the NYR guys.

"It's the rule but...."

Thanks for the link. Rather tame, IMO. Not a violent collision at all. It's part of the game, He put the breaks on right outside the blue. Deserved the penalty, but not even close to a cheap play. In other words --- YAWN.

Well yeah it's a penalty - Halak got pushed all the way back into his own net. Certainly not vicious; it was a good play by the defenseman with the poke-check denying a backhander or pass and Kreider was too close to the net to do anything after he lost control of the puck but try to stop.

Originally posted by TheDean:
Well yeah it's a penalty - Halak got pushed all the way back into his own net. Certainly not vicious; it was a good play by the defenseman with the poke-check denying a backhander or pass and Kreider was too close to the net to do anything after he lost control of the puck but try to stop.
Agree. And I hope he keeps driving to the net. When he's not he's not as good.

Originally posted by NovaHoops2002:
bmoney - no mention of Bordeur retiring?
he retired last year as far as I am concerned...this stint this year was pointless and embarrassing.

it still rubs me the wrong way how he handled last year, but I recognize his importance to the Devils organization. can't wait for his retirement night

Thanks for the link. Rather tame, IMO. Not a violent collision at all. It's part of the game, He put the breaks on right outside the blue. Deserved the penalty, but not even close to a cheap play. In other words --- YAWN.
the point is Kreider has a history of doing this.

like 4 or 5 in the last 2 years or something like that. if it was once, fine, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

B$, I hear that part of it. I'm with Dmil here, though. I like guys who push the envelope some. Going hard to the net has always been part of the game. There's ways of policing it if a team wants to.

the point is Kreider has a history of doing this.

like 4 or 5 in the last 2 years or something like that. if it was once, fine, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.
Incident one - clearly taken down by Ottawa defenseman on his way to the net. Skates literally chopped out form under him after Kreider blew by him. No cal on the play.

Incident two. MA Fleury in the playoffs last year. Letang, beaten, takes not one, but two attempts to chop him down on the way to the net- the first with his stcik, the second a flat out gasping shove has his legs. Kreider remained upright, bumped Fluery with his forearm, called for penalty - goal called off.

Incident three: Montreal. Kreider at full speed poked the puck past Emelin and gets whacked from behind by him and Dale Weise trying to stop the breakaway, they literally upend him and take his feet out form under him 6 feet form the net - he falls into Carey Price. No call.

None of these plays were reviewed by the league, nor will last night's. No fine, suspension or discipline even suggested. This is opposed to former Predator (and current Devil) Jordan Tootoo, who once deliberaly ran Ryan Miller and was suspended two games. Or Alex Elder, suspended two games for a hit on Phoenix goalie Mike Smith. (behind the net) Kreider has never been suspended, despite being a very physical player. He has taken a few penalties for hits to other skaters. It happens. It's a contact sport. Goalies are generally head case pu$$ies. Elder is chippy but his hit on Smith, who was roaming behind the net, should have been allowed. Anything that happens to a goalie leaving the crease should be allowed. Why should it not?

I'm not sure what exactly was said between the Devils and Broduer last year, but it must have been fally ugly. That presser was ridiculous and sad.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
I'm not sure what exactly was said between the Devils and Broduer last year, but it must have been fally ugly. That presser was ridiculous and sad.
as I mentioned, the way he acted last year really left a sour taste in my mouth.

though Lou has already said Marty will be back with the organization next year.

Eight Fifty Pointers through today:

J. Voracek 58
P. Kane 53
T. Seguin 53
C. Giroux 52
S. Crosby 51
E. Malkin 51
R. Getzlaf 50
N. Backstrom 50

Top Defensemen (pts):

M. Giordano 41
K. Shattenkirk 40